Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Unsung Guitarist

Mudcat

The guy for Innocence Mission is awesome. Really tasteful, understated guitar with incredibly great taste, tone, and in-the-pocket playing. Gorgeous. My favorite album of theirs is "Glow".

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

TREVOR RABIN :cool:

ED KING :cool:

DICK WAGNOR(MI BORN)WAY :cool:

I'm not sure if these guy's qualify but sure are

great geetar player's.

Darklava, that's WAGNER, the whiz from Frost, and later with Alice Cooper. Yep, he COULD play that thang! Some of us Michiganders aren't such slouches.

And of Daryl Sturmer: For a while, I was of the impression it was HE who played that great guitar for Focus, not Jan Akerman.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Ok, I'm probably going to get for this, but hear me out first. A hot guitarist that I think has gotten a raw deal is Punky Meadows, last with the group Angel. But if you listen to his older work, (i.e. with the Cherry People, and a band called Bux in the 70's), he could make his strat whail! Like I said thought, listen to his older stuff.... if I find a sound clip, I'll post it.

@strat monk: Both of the Phil Keaggy CDs that you mentioned are indeed excellent recordings. Two more recent recordings that Phil has put out are "In The Quiet Hours," which is perhaps a bit more "freeform" than some of his other recordings and is very nicely done, and a brand new release called "Hymnsongs", which I haven't gotten a copy of yet but will soon. Older Phil Keaggy recordings that I highly recommend getting (if you can find them--they may be out of print) are "The Master And The Musician" (1979), in my opinion the best instrumental album ever recorded--"The Wind And The Wheat" (1987)--and "Time1" and "Time2" (both 1995), both of which are compilations that include some of Phil's best known songs as well as rare and unpreviously released songs, including a live version of Glass Harp's "Do Lord" on "Time1".

@BiC: Yes, I sure have heard of Big Tent Revival-they are indeed an excellent band. And by the way, it is neat to have been here only a day and have already encountered a fellow Christian who is also a fellow weather watcher! (I have read your posts on the "ROLL CALL" thread.)

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

Daryl Stuermer was with Jean-luc Ponty way back when-I hate to say it but I`ve never been that much into his playing.

I`ve asked this before but no one seems to know-whoever played guitar on Noel Pointer`s older albums was fantastic-wonderful chops and great use of space around his phrasing.

BTW I like Innocence Mission quite a bit too

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Originally posted by dmjones43701:

How about that guy on the Manfred Mann record Blinded by the Light...sweet solo or how about me...Dave Jones...lol

:eek: Are you the David Bowie Dave Jones?

Dave Jones from the Monkeys?Or dave jones #18 behind jack white on the rolling stone top 100 greatest guitar player's? :confused:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Well, this is another 2 cents...

Being listening to the Mars Volta CD for a couple of weeks now and I'm having a hard time taking it out. In a few words, it blows minds away.

Geez.. and Omar Rodriguez just seems to put ideas and concepts in every nook and cranny of the song. Any snippet is just a a f***ng lesson in sound and fury... if that's what you like. But there's more flavors: delicate, warmy, spacey, tart, angry, druggy, happily energized... it goes on. Funny thing is all the "atonalness" just makes perfect sense.

Cons: all my other records based on the major scale sound "childish", can't enjoy them like I used to.

I bet he doesn't even give a shit that I'm writng this!!!

Did I mention he f***ng rocks live? He does...

John Tropea played electric guitar on Noel Pointer's first album; Ross Traut was on guitar on the second one...

John Tropea has appeared on a shitload of records; he was the soloist on Deodato's big hit version of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (a.k.a. the 2001: A Space Odyssey theme), though his solo was cut out of the trimmed-down AM radio version of the recording...

Originally posted by AlChuck:

John Tropea played electric guitar on Noel Pointer's first album; Ross Traut was on guitar on the second one...

John Tropea has appeared on a shitload of records; he was the soloist on Deodato's big hit version of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (a.k.a. the 2001: A Space Odyssey theme), though his solo was cut out of the trimmed-down AM radio version of the recording...

Now THATS a worthwhile piece of info! Always loved that track. How 'bout the guitar on Isaac Hayes' Shaft - there's a player who deserves special mention in The greatest Usung Guitarists of All Time - Wah-Wah Category.

And let's not forget Danny Kirwan, from the early Fleetwood Mac. He gets over-shadowed by Pete Green, but he was a good player in his own right. He played lead on Jigsaw Puzzle Blues - very Djangoish. Sadly, last I heard of him he was living in a homeless shelter in England. Another victim of alcoholism.Or the Fleetwood Mac curse - whichever way you care to look at it. :cry:

An outstanding guitar player that probably no one outside of my hometown of Virginia Beach, VA has ever heard of is a guy by the name of Bob Page. He was the lead guitarist for a Christian band called ISAAC, whose music was a fusion of jazz, rock, and R&B tied to a message of hope for a lost and dying world. ISAAC was a Virginia Beach band that was founded by keyboardist Steven "Moose" Smith in the mid 1970's and included several horn players who used to play in the oldies band BILL DEAL AND THE RHONDELLS. After Moose left in late 1976 to concentrate on his solo career and his duties as the leader of CBN's 700 Club studio band (back when they had a live band), Bob Page became the heart and soul of ISAAC as he wrote most of their original compositions. When I first saw Bob Page in 1976 he played a sunburst Fender Strat, although he would later play a Gibson L6S (the one with the six-sound tone selector) and later on a Gibson Les Paul Custom. Bob Page had a lead guitar style that was a blend of jazz and hard southern rock--kind of a cross between Al DiMeola and the guitar players of Lynrd Skynrd--and he never seemed to run out of ideas for his solos. He and the rest of ISAAC were the owners and managers of THE FIRE ESCAPE, a hot Christian nightclub in the oceanfront area of Virginia Beach in the late 1970's and 1980's, and I have many fond memories of that place and of ISAAC, memories that perhaps I'll ellaborate on sometime. Anyhow, I got to know Bob Page personally, and in addition to being an excellent musician, he was also a kind and caring guy, a dedicated family man, and a person whose first and foremost desire was to glorify the Lord Jesus and see people come to know Him as he did.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

Myles,

Is that the same Kal David who was in the band The Fabulous Rhinestones? Ah, it appears it is (according to All Music Guide). Man, he's a great player, and a terrific singer -- at least he was when I last heard him, on 1975's The Rhinestones. I saw them in Woodstock at the Joyous Lake around that time...

Steve Rothery of Marillion

One of the most tasteful guitarists on the planet. He plays what the band/song needs. Not flashy.

Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree

An amazingly talented man, sings, plays the hell out of the guitar, keyboards, samples, producer.

Not all that underrated, but Dave Navarro just rules.

Originally posted by AlChuck:

thank you thank you...

I used to have the Tropea album where he did a version of `can`t hide love` by EWF-great chops, silky smooth tone. Loved it.

Don`t know much about Ross Traut, I`ve heard his name but ALL the early stuff by Noel P. was killer.

Has anyone heard of Lyle Workman? He's a great rock guitarist. I think now he's mainly doing studio stuff. He played in Bourgeois Tagg, Frank Black, Todd Rundgren and with Beck. Not sure what else he's done. Great player. Tone, chops, ideas.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

Has anyone heard of Lyle Workman? He's a great rock guitarist. I think now he's mainly doing studio stuff. He played in Bourgeois Tagg, Frank Black, Todd Rundgren and with Beck. Not sure what else he's done. Great player. Tone, chops, ideas.

yeah, i love workman's stuff with beck.

another guy i would put in that arena is bill dillon. he did some great stuff with sarah mclachlan and daniel lanois. really creative approach.

I used to have the Tropea album where he did a version of `can`t hide love` by EWF-great chops, silky smooth tone. Loved it.
Never heard that, but the band Hummingbird did an excellent version of the same tune. Hummingbird was an early-seventies offshoot of the second Jeff Beck Group -- Bob Tench on guitar and vocals, Clive Chaman on bass, Max Middleton on keys. Tench was not a bad guitarist (he plays the guitar solo in Van Morrison's song "Wavelength" along with singing backup vocals). If I remember they had Bernard "Pretty" Purdie on board on drums for their second album, the one with this tune on it...

Mike Keneally great musician.

Played with steve vai on the G3 tour.

keyboards guitar great voice.One time

in the show played note for note whammy

for whammy with vai.Mike keneally&Beer for dolphins :thu:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by GitSematery:

And let's not forget Danny Kirwan, from the early Fleetwood Mac. He gets over-shadowed by Pete Green, but he was a good player in his own right. He played lead on Jigsaw Puzzle Blues - very Djangoish. Sadly, last I heard of him he was living in a homeless shelter in England. Another victim of alcoholism.Or the Fleetwood Mac curse - whichever way you care to look at it. :cry:

OH MAN!!! Peter and Danny did the twin lead gig before anybody, I think. I have every early Mac album, and two killer "Best of" double albums; VINTAGE YEARS and BLACK MAGIC WOMAN. Peter Green was obviously Danny's idol. The "BEST" english blues band ever. JEREMY SPENCER was no slouch either. I have a concert tape of the band live at the "Boston Tea Party", just an amazing band. :D:thu:

How about

1. Neil Geraldo-Pat Benatar

2. Phil Keaggy-Phil Keaggy/Glass Harp

3. Steve Cropper-Blues Brothers/Booker T

4. Phil Collen-Def Leppard/Girl

5. Mike Campbell-Tom Petty

6. Rick Nielson-Cheap Trick

7. Brad Paisley-Brad Paisley

8. Keith Urban- Keith Urban/The Ranch

9. Craig Chaquico-Starship

10. Keb Mo-Keb Mo

These guys are all great players, that have contributed a lot to the music world.

Glad this thread popped back...

I suppose an honorable mention should go to Grant Green-a lot of people still think of him as `that guy who was on Chuck Mangione`s records`, but he`s done a LOT of work outside of that, often in an ensemble setting. Very underappreciated player.

Archived