Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Unsung Guitarist

Mudcat

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a strange list for ya...

Christopher Guest, mostly known for his comedy writing, film producing and acting(Niles Tufnel in "Spinal Tap)IS actually an accomplished guitarist.

Davey Johnstone, who did a lot of work with Elton John. I may be wrong, but I think it was him on "Love lies Bleeding"

Alun Davies, who backed up Cat Stevens

Danny Kootch, who backed up James Taylor

"Thumbs" Carlysle, who played with Roger Miller, and played with the guitar on his lap. He would finger chords and solo notes much like a piano player would.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by whitefang:

"Thumbs" Carlysle, who played with Roger Miller, and played with the guitar on his lap. He would finger chords and solo notes much like a piano player would.

I was SO CONFUSED seeing this guy play when I was a kid. :confused: It was VERY DISTURBING to see him play that way! :D

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Mudcat:

Originally posted by Lord Jeebus:

Gino Vanelli

Gino Vanelli??? :confused:

Great singer but don't know that I ever heard him play a lick.

Daryl Sturmer was his guitarist, if memory serves me correctly. I remember a GV concert video where Daryl played his violin shaped guitar. Tone like mosquitos in jar - yuck :mad:

Daryl Sturmer - Wasn't he in Genesis with Phil Collins?? I've got a tape of a Phil Collins show in Berlin, and that guy can really play his guitar! :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I saw The Dan on their first come back tour. It was definitely Zing. Zing was instrumental on their come back. He was the band director for the NY Rhythm and Blues Revue which Fagen was deeply involved in and got his ass inspired to do live Dan again.

Good luck on finding any Drew. I can't. There's a little few snippets on their "Live In America" CD. And a snippet on the NY R%B Revue CD.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by whitefang:

Christopher Guest, mostly known for his comedy writing, film producing and acting(Niles Tufnel in "Spinal Tap)IS actually an accomplished guitarist.

Davey Johnstone, who did a lot of work with Elton John. I may be wrong, but I think it was him on "Love lies Bleeding"

Good calls! :thu:

(BTW, yeah, that was Davey)

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by djwayne:

Jennifer Batten, Played on tour and recorded with Micheal Jackson. Also a teacher at the Guitar Institute (??) I heard she was rated as one of the top five guitarist in the world. I saw her at a guitar clinic, and she was doing things you never imagined. We asked about Eddy Van Halen, and she had Eddy down, then she would play it backwards. Then she showed us harmonic scales forwards and backwards. Then forward and backward at the same time. She had some strange attachment to the head of her guitar that looked like piano hammers, that in the middle of a lead, she's flop down on a string or two to mute them. Very Cool guitarist !!

If you think back, she was the chick who played with a huge mohawk hairdo, at a superbowl(??) show. But at the clinic, she was wearing a nice plaid suit, and looked like she just came from a bake sale or church meeting, but was just burning up on the guitar !!

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by djwayne:

Jennifer Batten, Played on tour and recorded with Micheal Jackson. Also a teacher at the Guitar Institute (??) I heard she was rated as one of the top five guitarist in the world. I saw her at a guitar clinic, and she was doing things you never imagined. We asked about Eddy Van Halen, and she had Eddy down, then she would play it backwards. Then she showed us harmonic scales forwards and backwards. Then forward and backward at the same time. She had some strange attachment to the head of her guitar that looked like piano hammers, that in the middle of a lead, she's flop down on a string or two to mute them. Very Cool guitarist !!

If you think back, she was the chick who played with a huge mohawk hairdo, at a superbowl(??) show. But at the clinic, she was wearing a nice plaid suit, and looked like she just came from a bake sale or church meeting, but was just burning up on the guitar !!

I must say jennifer batten is good.But to have a schooled musicians diesect eddies work only shows

you ed is the man.ed though created other copy.

Michael Batio is a freeeeeeeeeeeek

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by AlChuck:

Ah, it was Steely Dan's 1996 tour that had Wayne Krantz on guitar.

I have that NY Rhythm & Blues Revue CD in my collection, I'll have to dig it out and listen for Drew Zing.

Anyone know who was playing guitar on the 1994 tour? I got to see that one from the front row, and the guitarist really cooked.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Steve Hackett, Genesis. "Seconds Out" is a great display of his playing. What tone, too.

Denny Diaz, first three Steely Dan albums. Honorable mention to Skunk Baxter, but Diaz played the hottest solos.

David Lindley, Jackson Browne. "Running on Empty," etc.

Lindsey Buckingham, Fleetwood Mac.

Mike Campbell, Heartbreakers.

Otto the Busdriver.

I nominate Angel Romero in the classical field.

He is not a complete unknown, but tends to get overshadowed buy Pepe Romero. He isn't the flashiest of players but his tone and choice of material make him a better artist than some of the more technical players out there.

• 2 weeks later...

wow. none of these guys are very far OFF the commercial radar, eh?

what about Bireli Lagrene... french cat that is known for gypsy jazz, but also has ripped with the likes of Jaco and Larry Coryell. Bireli is just plain scary with chops, but never lacks musicality.

Marc Ribot, mostly noted for his eccentric vibe with Tom Waits. he has this really deep afro cuban influence that is so unique.

and for the blues/rock thing... Warren haynes of the Allman Bro's & Gov't Mule. Warren just knocks my socks off every time, live or recorded. pure soul.

that's my two bits...

Archived