Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Unsung Guitarist

Mudcat

Thought I would throw this one out for discussion. I'm not looking for great guitarists that are unsung in the commercial marketplace (see Danny Gatton/Roy Buchanan). I'm looking for great guitarists who played on commercially successful records but who are overlooked in discussions about "great" guitar players.

Here are three that were big influences on my playing. I rarely see them mentioned in guitarist discussions. Each of them are masters of "playing for the song."

1) Zal Yanovsky w/the Lovin Spoonful. He NEVER played the wrong lick. Great blues player too (check out "Night Owl Blues" :thu: ).

2) Billy Bremner w/Rockpile & the Pretenders. For years I though I was digging Dave Edmunds playing then I figured out it was Mr. Bremner's parts I was listening to! :D

3) Jeff Carlisi w/38 Special. Never owned a 38 Special record but his guitar style worked its way into my playing just from the radio.

Interested in seeing what others come up with.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure I could come up with a dozen or so, but one that immediately came to mind:

Keith Strickland - The B52's (until his death in the late 80's/early 90's).

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Okay, I suppose you can't call them "unsung", but they're entirely under-rated:

Brad Whitford (Aerosmith, Whitford-St. Holmes)

Nils Lofgren (Grin, solo, E Street Band)

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

I agree on both of these. Saw Nils on his solo gig and he was amazing. How doaes he do the harmonic thing?

IMO Brad Whitford's playing holds Aerosmith together. At least on their earlier material. I haven't paid much attention to their current stuff.

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Paige Hamiton - Helmet

Scott Ian - Anthrax

Tom Verlaine/Richard LLoyd - Television

Robbie Robertson - The Band

Johnny Ramone - The Ramones

All of these guys do/did what their bands need(ed)them to do... THAT'S what makes a great guitarist.

Too bad they don't get a lot of credit for it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by Mudcat:

Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

I agree on both of these. Saw Nils on his solo gig and he was amazing. How doaes he do the harmonic thing?

IMO Brad Whitford's playing holds Aerosmith together. At least on their earlier material. I haven't paid much attention to their current stuff.

Brad is still the glue. There's a cut from Pandora's Box (old stuff) called "Krawhitham" that is just Kramer (drums), Whitford, and Hamilton (bass) working out a song without the Toxic Twins, and it's a really cool, really solid, very Aerosmith kind of piece.

Nils has always been a favorite. I don't know how he does it.

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Not sure if these guys are unsung, but at least I haven't heard much about them:

Rory Gallagher

Russ Freeman

Chet Atkins

Cliff Gallup

"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

Jennifer Batten, Played on tour and recorded with Micheal Jackson. Also a teacher at the Guitar Institute (??) I heard she was rated as one of the top five guitarist in the world. I saw her at a guitar clinic, and she was doing things you never imagined. We asked about Eddy Van Halen, and she had Eddy down, then she would play it backwards. Then she showed us harmonic scales forwards and backwards. Then forward and backward at the same time. She had some strange attachment to the head of her guitar that looked like piano hammers, that in the middle of a lead, she's flop down on a string or two to mute them. Very Cool guitarist !!

If you think back, she was the chick who played with a huge mohawk hairdo, at a superbowl(??) show. But at the clinic, she was wearing a nice plaid suit, and looked like she just came from a bake sale or church meeting, but was just burning up on the guitar !!

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Originally posted by djwayne:

Jennifer Batten, Played on tour and recorded with Micheal Jackson. Also a teacher at the Guitar Institute (??) ..... She had some strange attachment to the head of her guitar that looked like piano hammers, that in the middle of a lead, she's flop down on a string or two to mute them. Very Cool guitarist !!

I know she toured with Jeff Beck for a while too. I'm certain that would be quite a show. :D

I don't think I have ever heard her play? :mad:

Can you list any records she's played on?

Originally posted by djwayne:

Jennifer Batten, Played on tour and recorded with Micheal Jackson. Also a teacher at the Guitar Institute (??) ..... She had some strange attachment to the head of her guitar that looked like piano hammers, that in the middle of a lead, she's flop down on a string or two to mute them. Very Cool guitarist !!

I know she toured with Jeff Beck for a while too. I'm certain that would be quite a show. :D

I don't think I have ever heard her play? :mad:

Can you list any records she's played on?

Check out her BIO.

Originally posted by Lord Jeebus:

Gino Vanelli

Gino Vanelli??? :confused:

Great singer but don't know that I ever heard him play a lick.

Daryl Sturmer was his guitarist, if memory serves me correctly. I remember a GV concert video where Daryl played his violin shaped guitar. Tone like mosquitos in jar - yuck :mad:

Originally posted by strat monk:

[QB]Not sure if these guys are unsung, but at least I haven't heard much about them:

Rory Gallagher, was from Belfast (where I'm from)

unfortunately he died...quite a while ago :cry:

Hail Rory!!

Cup

Michel Couchon formerly of Uzeb. Was never into Uzeb but I saw Michel Couchon and the Wild Unit about 10 years ago and it was one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen.

He can play like a motherfucker but he also had great songs and surrounded himself with awesome horn and percussion players who got equal time in the limelight.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by AlChuck:

I think Wayne Krantz smokes...

http://www.waynekrantz.com/

Yes! I only have his Signals album but I really like it, even though I don't really like the genre. Great player.
"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

Two extremly unsung killers are;JOE BECK & DAN TOLLER.Joe Beck is one of the best jazz/fusion players in the world.I am suprised nobody ever talks about him.And Dan Toller is,after D.Allman and steve gains from skynard,THE BADEST sothern rock/blues player ever.Toller played lead for the allman Bros for a while and Dickie Betts solo band Great sothern. :thu::thu:

Alrighty then, I'll drop one...

1- I hate hair metal...(I call it cock rock)

2- Most records from that era suck....

3- I was raised on that stuff, so...

Lately I gave a Badlands CD a spin (the Jake E. Lee, Ray Gillen project), and was surprised how for me, still holds up, in a "that era" kind of way. I even liked some of the solos!!! The guitar tone is "Dark brown", robust in a "manly"way. Solos are simple, fast, pentatonic and made me raise my fist and say "yeah!!!". I think I will practice my picking... someday.

Anyway, that was my comment.

I hope I did not ruffle any feathers.

Take care.

Originally posted by Lord Jeebus:

Gino Vanelli

Gino Vanelli??? :confused:

Great singer but don't know that I ever heard him play a lick.

Daryl Sturmer was his guitarist, if memory serves me correctly.

May have been but the guitarist I remember from that band was Carlos Rios, a great player. He was later the music director for Lionel Ritchie, but don't hold that against him. Interesting that he was music director because I don't think he knew how to read music.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Archived