Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Unsung Guitarist

Mudcat

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Originally posted by Mudcat:

Originally posted by Lord Jeebus:

Gino Vanelli

Gino Vanelli??? :confused:

Great singer but don't know that I ever heard him play a lick.

Daryl Sturmer was his guitarist, if memory serves me correctly. I remember a GV concert video where Daryl played his violin shaped guitar. Tone like mosquitos in jar - yuck :mad:

Daryl Sturmer - Wasn't he in Genesis with Phil Collins?? I've got a tape of a Phil Collins show in Berlin, and that guy can really play his guitar! :)
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Eric Worthington:

Steve Hackett, Genesis. "Seconds Out" is a great display of his playing. What tone, too.

Denny Diaz, first three Steely Dan albums. Honorable mention to Skunk Baxter, but Diaz played the hottest solos.

David Lindley, Jackson Browne. "Running on Empty," etc.

Lindsey Buckingham, Fleetwood Mac.

Mike Campbell, Heartbreakers.

Otto the Busdriver.

:thu::thu: Otto man rock;s
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Elliott Easton

Mike Campbell

Robbie Robertson

all qualify.

James Taylor

Chet Atkins

do not. They are far from unsung or under-rated. Both legends who's influence pervades players of many different styles. :thu:

Another who hasn't been mentioned:

Steve Stevens (Billy Idol) Go back and listen to the guitar riffs, timbres, and writing on the entire Rebel Yell album, particularly Rebel Yell and (my fav) Flesh For Fantasy. Or pick up some of his more recent, flamenco music. There's a great cut on the first Taylor Guitars/Windham Hill compilation, Sounds Of Wood & Steel. It's called Sadhanna. Breathtaking.

Kerry Livgren of Kansas and Roger Steen of The Tubes come to mind, as well.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Frank Marino :thu:

Pat Thrall (Pat Travers & check out his beautiful playing on Go, the project album w/ Steve Winwood & Stomu Yamashita

Johnny Marr

James Vincent (excellent album called Space traveler, w/ some members of Earth Wind & Fire)

Jan Akkerman

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Wow,

Some of your answers are right up my alley. Ty Tabor, Rory Gallagher, Elliot Easton.

I'll toss a few more into the mix. Buck Dharma; I know BOC was a pretty major band, but he has not gotten his due as an inventive, melodic player.

Richard Thompson; when all the other sixties English kids were listening to and ripping of American blues records, Thompson was doing the same with music native to the British Isles. His acoustic work is jawdropping, and his songs are almost always gems, but hear him live-that's the key. I'm a blues player first and foremost, but it's so refreshing to hear a player stretch out and improvise and not play one cliched lick nor repeat himself.

Mike Oldfield; he gets pigeonholed for "Tubular Bells," but he's done so much more. But even "TB" is worth a complete listen; there's some amazing guitarwork on it, and he was only around 20 when he recorded it! Also, check out "Hergest Ridge" and "Ommadawn." Inventive, fresh and unique playing.

Al Anderson; NRBQ has always been too eccentric for mass consumption, and sadly many people never will hear Anderson's incredible facility on the guitar.

Vic Juris; as great a jazz player as I have ever heard. Startling harmonic conceptions and technique.

Kudos to those of you who selected Billy Bremner, George Harrison, Brad Whitford, Amos Garrett and so forth. So many players have added to the guitar palette, and it's nice to see us honor them.

One last one - I know there's an ongoing controversy over who played this, but whatever guitarist played the solo to "Rock Around the Clock" earned a special place in Heaven's band with that one!

Originally posted by Teahead:

Nick McCabe, ex-guitarist with British band (The) Verve. A total innovator, who changed the way I thought about playing. Rarely did he give the same performance twice, sadly he hasn't released anything for a while now, but I live in hope.

Damn you, I just knew I'd come here to find you'd posted my favourite "obscure" guitarist.

I'll second McCabe though, true genius!

Cup

• Michael Brook - solo
  • Robin Guthrie - Cocteau Twins
  • Kevin Shields - My Bloody Valentine
  • David Rhodes - with Peter Gabriel, Talk Talk
  • Michael Rother - Neu!, solo
  • Phil Manzanera - Roxy Music
  • David Gregory - XTC, others

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Unsung Guitarist? - The UK's Lewis Taylor. He's championed by many internationally known stars, and yet isn't widely known. The guy has a voice of an angel, writes songs which stop you dead in your tracks, can work a Hammond like there's no tomorrow, and plays perhaps the most blistering, soulful Les Paul you're ever likely to hear. Don't believe me?

go http://www.lewistaylormusic.com/

hit VISUALS

download "SONG" at bottom of page and be prepared for your your socks to be blown off!!!

Other than he, - Jan Akkerman - because he draws not just from bountyous US wellspring but from European tradition too. Check out

http://www.janakkerman.nl/samples.html - "Divine" highly recommended.

Ross Hannaford - a wonderful ska/reggae player who sadly most of you will probably never get to see or hear. Years ago he was in a band that were pretty successful here in OZ - Daddy Cool ( Eagle Rock was their big hit). Before that notorious garage band THe Pink Finks. Currently playing with his band Reggabites as well as Renee Geyer Band.

Kerry Livgren - Kansas, Ty Tabor - KingsX, James Young - Styx, James Taylor, John Fruciante - Chili Peppers, Todd Rundgren, Phil Manzanera - Roxy Music, Mike Campbell - T.P. and the Heartbreakers, Prince, Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull, Elliot Easton - The Cars, Phil Collen - Def Leppard, Don Felder - Eagles, Nuno Bettencourt - Extreme, and Howard Leese - Heart, to name a few.

Originally posted by Geenard Skeenard:

Danny Flowers

Ha! I worked with Danny a few months ago, at the Ryman, on a benefit concert. Danny's band, including Nashville, Western Beat fixture, Billy Block on drums, was the backing band for most of the acts. They also played plenty on their own. Both Danny and his second guitar both had some foin (not mis-spelled. ;) ) vintage guitars and great amps. I forget which boutique amp maker, but they were absolutely gorgeous. Even got to play one before they (we) tore down.

Danny's a wonderful guy in addition to being an under rated player and performer.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I have no opinion about his guitar playing, and no real loyalty to his band, but I don't think Keith Strickland form the B-52s is dead, which was stated early in this thread and has gone unchallenged since then.

Ricky Wilson, their original guitarist and principal songwriter, died of AIDS in the mid-80s, and was succeeded on guitar by Strickland, the original drummer. Strickland is the guitarist on Love Shack, etc.

I checked allmusic.com just to be sure I didn't miss word of his passing. His dates were still "open."

BTW, re: unsung guitarists, how about Bruce Cockburn? And, one of my favorite "loose but tight" rockers of all time, Alex Chilton?

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

I...

Ricky Wilson, their original guitarist and principal songwriter, died of AIDS in the mid-80s, and was succeeded on guitar by Strickland, the original drummer. Strickland is the guitarist on Love Shack, etc...

You've got it right on this. Keith is still around. Ricky died in the eighties. Ricky played the Mosrite with 5 strings and Keith played Strats as I recall.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

How about Don Felder, formerly of the Eagles? Seems that Joe Walsh got all of the notice, whilst Felder just played. Especially on the Hell Freezes Over dvd, Felder really shines on pedal steel, mandolin, acoustic, electric, slide - everything he touches is competantly handled. Also, before Felder joined the band, Bernie Leadon handled most of the multi-instrumentalist chores with great ease and style, adding mandolin, banjo, dobro, etc.

Original YES guitarist Peter Banks provided an excellent foundation for Steve Howe to build on as YES grew from the '60's into the '70's.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by Geenard Skeenard:

Danny Flowers

Ha! I worked with Danny a few months ago, at the Ryman, on a benefit concert. Danny's band, including Nashville, Western Beat fixture, Billy Block on drums, was the backing band for most of the acts. They also played plenty on their own. Both Danny and his second guitar both had some foin (not mis-spelled. ;) ) vintage guitars and great amps. I forget which boutique amp maker, but they were absolutely gorgeous. Even got to play one before they (we) tore down.

Danny's a wonderful guy in addition to being an under rated player and performer.

Yeah have you heard his new CD? Blows away anything on radio. I'd love to meet him, sounds like a cool guy. What might surprise folks, according to the Tonequest article I read, he recorded almost everything using a Blues Jr.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

The best guitar player that I have ever heard would have to be Phil Keaggy. Phil was first heard of with the band Glass Harp in the late 60's and early 70's, and he has been recording and performing since then as a solo contemporary Christian artist. Phil's style ranges from folk to classical to jazz to rock, and, in my opinion, he is simply the most gifted guitar player ever. Other favorite and influential guitar players on my list (some fairly well-known, perhaps) are Glenn Kaiser and Stu Heiser (Resurrection Band), Pat Metheny, Russ Freeman (The Rippingtons), Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs), Greg Carmichael (and others who are playing or have played with Acoustic Alchemy), Al DiMeola, Brian Hughes, Todd Shay (Sonicflood), Jorge Strunz (Caldera, and Strunz and Farah), Larry Carlton, and Carlos Santana.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

Originally posted by The Lone Chicken:

The best guitar player that I have ever heard would have to be Phil Keaggy. Phil was first heard of with the band Glass Harp in the late 60's and early 70's, and he has been recording and performing since then as a solo contemporary Christian artist. Phil's style ranges from folk to classical to jazz to rock, and, in my opinion, he is simply the most gifted guitar player ever. Other favorite and influential guitar players on my list (some fairly well-known, perhaps) are Glenn Kaiser and Stu Heiser (Resurrection Band), Pat Metheny, Russ Freeman (The Rippingtons), Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs), Greg Carmichael (and others who are playing or have played with Acoustic Alchemy), Al DiMeola, Brian Hughes, Todd Shay (Sonicflood), Jorge Strunz (Caldera, and Strunz and Farah), Larry Carlton, and Carlos Santana.

Yes, Phil is an excellent guitarist! I also dig the guitar playing of Big Tent Revival. If you have not heard any of their music, you don't know what you're missing. They are a Christian acoustic rock band. Their first CD is simply fabulous! :thu:

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Phil Keaggy is one of my favorites. His "220" and "Lights of Madrid" albums are the most inspiring to me. He has some of the most amazing chops, and with feeling, too.
"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

Archived