Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Thanks for your help above Myles, I'm about to try some dampers in my Korg RI AC30tbx, I get some microphonic noise with one or two notes on the fretboard. It happens with any and all tube swaps I've tried and it's finally pushed me to look for a solution. The noise isn't present when I remove the chasis, so I'm hoping dampers like these will help when it's mounted in the combo?

Now, the question is, what about the retainer clips on the output & rectifier tubes? I'm kind of presuming these are essential to the trouble free running of the amp, with the horizontal mounting? Or are they? They seem to worsen the problem, so I would like to remove them altogether, or is this a bad idea?

If so, are there alternative kinds that will fit my amp and accomodate the tube dampers I'm looking at? I'm pretty sure the stock ones aren't going to be suitable. Or should I be looking at alternative dampers that can be used with the existing clips?

Apologies for the long post, many thanks to you for sharing your wisdom here...

tea.

Originally posted by Teahead:

Thanks for your help above Myles, I'm about to try some dampers in my Korg RI AC30tbx, I get some microphonic noise with one or two notes on the fretboard. It happens with any and all tube swaps I've tried and it's finally pushed me to look for a solution. The noise isn't present when I remove the chasis, so I'm hoping dampers like these will help when it's mounted in the combo?

Now, the question is, what about the retainer clips on the output & rectifier tubes? I'm kind of presuming these are essential to the trouble free running of the amp, with the horizontal mounting? Or are they? They seem to worsen the problem, so I would like to remove them altogether, or is this a bad idea?

If so, are there alternative kinds that will fit my amp and accomodate the tube dampers I'm looking at? I'm pretty sure the stock ones aren't going to be suitable. Or should I be looking at alternative dampers that can be used with the existing clips?

Apologies for the long post, many thanks to you for sharing your wisdom here...

tea.

Tea,

The retainers can rattle at times. The are not needed for the operation of the amp but do keep tubes with loose sockets from loosing a tube (usually when transporting the amp).

In many amps, removing these can actually improve the sound (the preamp tube shields). There is a big story behind this but basically if you want a short answer that is too long to write out here give me a call in the mornings at GT at 1-800-459-5687.

You generally do not see retainers in high end autiophile amps.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Myles, I think that my DNA was spontaneously altered by this avatar-picture of "Christine" you had up...

... http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/sitebuilder/images/cn011-220x340.jpg:freak::love::D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Myles, I think that my DNA was spontaneously altered by this avatar-picture of "Christine" you had up...

... http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/sitebuilder/images/cn011-220x340.jpg:freak::love::D

Caevan O'Shite

You can see a lot more of Christine (and the pix are larger too when you click on them) at

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/models-christine-n.html

Christine is right here in L.A.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, been there, done that!

(Well, when I'm at your 'site, I can't spend all of my time there drooling over just amps now, can I?) ;):D

"Christine is right here in L.A."

...And I'm here, in New York... :cry:;)

By the way, I meant NO offense or hard-feelings at all (to you, Tara Lynn, Vegas, or anyone) in my reply to Tara Lynn's "Send me to Vegas"-thread...

I didn't see any further developments there, but she did send me a "PM" with a spelling tip. :D:cool:

Now, back to our scheduled programming of amps 'n' such! :D:thu:

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Myles, been there, done that!

(Well, when I'm at your 'site, I can't spend all of my time there drooling over just amps now, can I?) ;):D

"Christine is right here in L.A."

...And I'm here, in New York... :cry:;)

By the way, I meant NO offense or hard-feelings at all (to you, Tara Lynn, Vegas, or anyone) in my reply to Tara Lynn's "Send me to Vegas"-thread...

I didn't see any further developments there, but she did send me a "PM" with a spelling tip. :D:cool:

Now, back to our scheduled programming of amps 'n' such! :D:thu:

I deleted Tara's post and told her to put things like that in the open mic forum.

As far as New York .... the gal up now is Rachel. She is in New York. Yea, she is a pretty gal but she is a KILLER vocalist! I have some of her work at my studio.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Darklava:

http://www.sportscrew.com/sorority/2005/round1/3451.jpg

Thanks Myles :love:

You are more than welcome.

Actually in that link you sent I saw at least two of our models - Michelle Herd and Elly Winstead. I did not find Tara Lynn.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Ok for the sake of clarity I'll write out my setup before I state my problem.

Im in a touring band, and the other guitarist has an almost identical setup.

I play an ESP Viper guitar, running into a Boss Noise Supresser pedal, running into a Boss Chromatic Tuner pedal, into a Peavey Supreme, which outputs to a Peavey XXX cabinet and a Crate 2x15 cabinet. In the EFX loop I have a 31-band EQ and BBE Sonic Maximizer.

Recently I bought some new speaker cables because there was a monster deal on them...25ft gold plated 14g Live Wire cables with a lifetime warranty for $10 apiece. So I assume those are quality.

But as soon as we implemented them, things started getting weird. The first night, one of my cabs was cutting in and out and when I fiddled with the cable in the back of it, it shocked me with some force. I took the cable back and had it replaced with an identical one. Since then, I've had my Noise Suppresser completely fry. It still passes the signal through but fails to perform any function on the signal whatsoever. The other guitarist likewise had his supresser and also his tuner do the same. Again, they all still pass the signal through fine just fail to do anything with it.

I have to stress that these issues occurred within a week or two of implementing the new speaker cables, and that there are no impedance mismatches as per the settings on the cabs and heads.

Being that we're on the road and broke, this is becoming a real problem. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help!

Myles:

I have 2 questions:

1. Do you know of any soundclips of the Victoria Sovereign that are online?

2. In general, given a dual-EL34 50w class-AB "plexi-style" amp where the power tubes are going to be pushed for the overdrive (so "old-school" preamp design), is it safe to run with a 4 x 12" of Celestion Blue AlNiCos (rated at 60w total)?

I ask because although these amps are usually rated @ 50 watts output, I wasn't sure if that was the real output ceiling, or the rating for clean output before power tube overdrive.

thanks,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Originally posted by aeon:

Myles:

I have 2 questions:

1. Do you know of any soundclips of the Victoria Sovereign that are online?

2. In general, given a dual-EL34 50w class-AB "plexi-style" amp where the power tubes are going to be pushed for the overdrive (so "old-school" preamp design), is it safe to run with a 4 x 12" of Celestion Blue AlNiCos (rated at 60w total)?

I ask because although these amps are usually rated @ 50 watts output, I wasn't sure if that was the real output ceiling, or the rating for clean output before power tube overdrive.

thanks,

aeon

Aeon,

I do not have any clips of the Sovereign, maybe contact Mark Baier at Victoria. There is a player out here in L.A. named John March. He has a blues CD out. He plays locally a lot and does a lot of L.A. session work. He has my Sovereign at the moment on loan to him and I know he has recorded and performed with the amp extensively.

4x12 Blues with a 50 watt Marshall head is safe ... and quite amazing. I prefer the speakers though in an open back cab as is done in the Marshall cab that matches their offset JTM-45. That may be the best speaker cab I have ever heard in my life actually. I wish they offered that cab without the head as I do not need another JTM-45.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by yonjamin:

Ok for the sake of clarity I'll write out my setup before I state my problem.

Im in a touring band, and the other guitarist has an almost identical setup.

I play an ESP Viper guitar, running into a Boss Noise Supresser pedal, running into a Boss Chromatic Tuner pedal, into a Peavey Supreme, which outputs to a Peavey XXX cabinet and a Crate 2x15 cabinet. In the EFX loop I have a 31-band EQ and BBE Sonic Maximizer.

Recently I bought some new speaker cables because there was a monster deal on them...25ft gold plated 14g Live Wire cables with a lifetime warranty for $10 apiece. So I assume those are quality.

But as soon as we implemented them, things started getting weird. The first night, one of my cabs was cutting in and out and when I fiddled with the cable in the back of it, it shocked me with some force. I took the cable back and had it replaced with an identical one. Since then, I've had my Noise Suppresser completely fry. It still passes the signal through but fails to perform any function on the signal whatsoever. The other guitarist likewise had his supresser and also his tuner do the same. Again, they all still pass the signal through fine just fail to do anything with it.

I have to stress that these issues occurred within a week or two of implementing the new speaker cables, and that there are no impedance mismatches as per the settings on the cabs and heads.

Being that we're on the road and broke, this is becoming a real problem. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help!

yonjamin

If your setup works with conventional speaker cables it seems that the "monster deal" cables may have a slightly oversize or undersize end which you cabs do not like. There is a lot of junk out there and one does actually get what one pays for in most cases. I'd go back to the other cables.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Say, Myles- what do you make of these symptoms?

The matter of battery-powered pedals plugged into the input being damaged, and peculiar shocks, is kind of strange...

(The amps concerned are solid-state Peavey Supreme heads)

"...one of my cabs was cutting in and out and when I fiddled with the cable in the back of it, it shocked me with some force...

...Since then, I've had my Noise Suppresser (pedal, on batteries, in front of the amp) completely fry. It still passes the signal through but fails to perform any function on the signal whatsoever.

The other guitarist likewise had his supresser and also his tuner (pedals, on batterries, in front of the amp) do the same."

What would you advise here?

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

Say, Myles- what do you make of these symptoms?

The matter of battery-powered pedals plugged into the input being damaged, and peculiar shocks, is kind of strange...

(The amps concerned are solid-state Peavey Supreme heads)

"...one of my cabs was cutting in and out and when I fiddled with the cable in the back of it, it shocked me with some force...

...Since then, I've had my Noise Suppresser (pedal, on batteries, in front of the amp) completely fry. It still passes the signal through but fails to perform any function on the signal whatsoever.

The other guitarist likewise had his supresser and also his tuner (pedals, on batterries, in front of the amp) do the same."

What would you advise here?
I'd need to see the amp. I think there was something else going on that was not mentioned.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Hey Myles whats up with the Viper Preamp? You think they are worth the purchase? My singer wants to get one, but he asked me to ask you about it.

Actually its the ViPRE .... variable impedance preamp.

Just about every major studio has them now and GT cannot keep them in stock so maybe they are woth it ;)

You can download all the data, see reviews, and download the user's manual that explains a lot at:

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1602

Every studio I have loaned one to compare against their Avalons etc has ended up buying at least one of them.

If you (or anybody) is ever close to GT let me know and I will arrange a full blown demo where you can play with it yourself too.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

4x12 Blues with a 50 watt Marshall head is safe ... and quite amazing. I prefer the speakers though in an open back cab as is done in the Marshall cab that matches their offset JTM-45. That may be the best speaker cab I have ever heard in my life actually. I wish they offered that cab without the head as I do not need another JTM-45.

Thanks for the info, Myles.

And just so you know, it would be an open-back cab to be sure, or at least a "divided" 4 x 12" where 1/2 would be closed-back, and 1/2 would be open-back.

The more I get to hear amps and cabs in person, the more I come to realize that I prefer the sound of open-backed 2 x 12" combos...and that for me, nothing beats a good "dirty-clean" coming through a pair of Blues.

And thanks for the tip on where to get a good EF86. ;)

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Say, Myles- any idea what's become of Smicz Amplification, and there cool "TADs"?

I've been trying to track them down, all previous links and internet-addresses that I've used have dead-ended, and all I find on them are old postings at various 'sites and existing stock advertised by retailers. :confused:

Any insider knowledge here?

Originally posted by aeon:

Originally posted by myles111:

Thanks for the info, Myles.

And just so you know, it would be an open-back cab to be sure, or at least a "divided" 4 x 12" where 1/2 would be closed-back, and 1/2 would be open-back.

The more I get to hear amps and cabs in person, the more I come to realize that I prefer the sound of open-backed 2 x 12" combos...and that for me, nothing beats a good "dirty-clean" coming through a pair of Blues.

And thanks for the tip on where to get a good EF86. ;)

cheers,

aeon

Aeon,

The cab will work great.

On the EF86's .... I get all mine from Mike at www.kcanostubes.com

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Say, Myles- any idea what's become of Smicz Amplification, and there cool "TADs"?

I've been trying to track them down, all previous links and internet-addresses that I've used have dead-ended, and all I find on them are old postings at various 'sites and existing stock advertised by retailers. :confused:

Any insider knowledge here?

Last thing I remember is that they were in some sort of lawsuit or something with somebody. I do not remember any details and they still may be alive and well. I have no information.

Sorry

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Actually its the ViPRE .... variable impedance preamp.

Just about every major studio has them now and GT cannot keep them in stock so maybe they are woth it

You can download all the data, see reviews, and download the user's manual that explains a lot at:

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1602

Every studio I have loaned one to compare against their Avalons etc has ended up buying at least one of them.

If you (or anybody) is ever close to GT let me know and I will arrange a full blown demo where you can play with it yourself too.

Thanks Myles

Hey Myles, I got a big amp problem thought you might be able to help me with. Here's the series of events.

1. I played a show last weekend. I hooked my amp up and turned it on and i get a huge buzzing sound, even with my guitar on, off or unplugged. So I switched to another cab and the same problem. The buzzing seemed to worsen as the set went on to the point where my guitar signal was disapearing.

2. got back to our space replaced the power tubes no change in the buzzing. I checked all the preamp tubes by swapping them and nothing. Plugged my guitar directly into the amp and the problem was gone. So I start checking the cables on my pedal board that is all before my amp and the last cable leading into my input seemed to be the problem. It's a George L so I clipped one end and reattached the tip everything seemed cool.

3. I ordered new GTKT66HP (6rating) for my dual rect 2 channel just in case it was a bad tube so I put them in since I had them. There is no buzzing at this point. I noticed it seemed as if the volume was slightly lower then normal. So I start playing and my signal starts dying in the first song and then disappears. I look at the back of my amp and 2 tubes on the right are lit up like bright orange lightbulbs! So I shut it off.

4. I have a back up Peavey Classic 50/50 so I use that and 15min later I blow a fuse. Great... lol.

5. So I go back to the Dual rect and turn it back on and try to figure out the problem and I can't get it to happen again, but it seems that the 2 tubes that were blazing are running brighter then the other 2 on the left.

Any suggestions on what my problem might be or what I should do? Can something going into th eamp input blow my amp up is that possible? I'm about to lose my mind...

Here's my setup in order:

1) Ibanez RG321MH w/(Bill Lawrence L500-XL pup) and Q-filter on tone control

2) Pedal Board

-- boss volume pedal

-- looperman A/B for selecting Sabine rack tuner

-- Ibanez lofi pedal

-- boss reverb/delay

-- boss reverb

3) Mesa Dual Rectifier 2 Channel Voodoo Modded

12AX7 preamp tubes and GTKT66HP power tubes. Using thhe solid state rectifier on bold setting. No effects loop used.

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

Originally posted by rsf1977:

Hey Myles, I got a big amp problem thought you might be able to help me with. Here's the series of events.

1. I played a show last weekend. I hooked my amp up and turned it on and i get a huge buzzing sound, even with my guitar on, off or unplugged. So I switched to another cab and the same problem. The buzzing seemed to worsen as the set went on to the point where my guitar signal was disapearing.

2. got back to our space replaced the power tubes no change in the buzzing. I checked all the preamp tubes by swapping them and nothing. Plugged my guitar directly into the amp and the problem was gone. So I start checking the cables on my pedal board that is all before my amp and the last cable leading into my input seemed to be the problem. It's a George L so I clipped one end and reattached the tip everything seemed cool.

3. I ordered new GTKT66HP (6rating) for my dual rect 2 channel just in case it was a bad tube so I put them in since I had them. There is no buzzing at this point. I noticed it seemed as if the volume was slightly lower then normal. So I start playing and my signal starts dying in the first song and then disappears. I look at the back of my amp and 2 tubes on the right are lit up like bright orange lightbulbs! So I shut it off.

4. I have a back up Peavey Classic 50/50 so I use that and 15min later I blow a fuse. Great... lol.

5. So I go back to the Dual rect and turn it back on and try to figure out the problem and I can't get it to happen again, but it seems that the 2 tubes that were blazing are running brighter then the other 2 on the left.

Any suggestions on what my problem might be or what I should do? Can something going into th eamp input blow my amp up is that possible? I'm about to lose my mind...

Here's my setup in order:

1) Ibanez RG321MH w/(Bill Lawrence L500-XL pup) and Q-filter on tone control

2) Pedal Board

-- boss volume pedal

-- looperman A/B for selecting Sabine rack tuner

-- Ibanez lofi pedal

-- boss reverb/delay

-- boss reverb

3) Mesa Dual Rectifier 2 Channel Voodoo Modded

12AX7 preamp tubes and GTKT66HP power tubes. Using thhe solid state rectifier on bold setting. No effects loop used.

On the amp with the two tubes lighting up, it sounds as if you lost the bias supply on those sockets.

Pull all the output tubes.

Turn the amp on with nothing in the input and the volume and master all the way down.

Measure the voltage on pin 5 of all the output tube sockets. You should see about -52 volts.

Then let me know what you find and we will take it from there.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

On the amp with the two tubes lighting up, it sounds as if you lost the bias supply on those sockets.

Turn the amp on with nothing in the input and the volume and master all the way down.

Measure the voltage on pin 5 of all the output tube sockets. You should see about -52 volts.

Hey miles I have a meter but I'm not sure how to use it to read the voltage? Can you give me a little direction I've never done anything like this before and i don't want to electocute my self lol, thanks.

www.randallflagg.com

Originally posted by rsf1977:

Hey miles I have a meter but I'm not sure how to use it to read the voltage? Can you give me a little direction I've never done anything like this before and i don't want to electocute my self lol, thanks.
Give me a call at 1-800-459-5687 and I will step you though it.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Ok I was actually able to figure out how to test it and all 4 power tube Pin-5s come up as -53 volts. Is it possible that the tubes were mismatched even though they were all labeled "6"?

www.randallflagg.com

Hi Myles, I'm wondering if you know anything about rotary speakers for guitar. like a leslie but without the amp so as to use it in an external speaker jack. leslie is too big. I'm thinking about building one but i'm wondering if something like that exists?