Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by myles111:

Originally posted by rsf1977:

Dual Rect (2 Channel) and I just run my guitar into it without using the effects loop. It seems that I can barely turn the master volume up cause it's so loud instantly. And I feel like I'm not getting to push the power tubes (GT-KT66HPs) at all. I play metal/hardcore so i need it as brutal as possible any suggestions to get more umph out of the power section? Or am i worrying about nothing

These amps do little to really push the output section. The trick is to have the master all the way up and try to limit the gain in the front end from overdriving, compressing, and getting all buzzy. A 5751 in V1 and V2 will help a bit more.
The thing is there's only the master volume available to crank the channel volume isn't active when you don't use the loop. Any ideas? Should I just run the loop with nothing in it to get this to work?

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

Dual Rect (2 Channel) and I just run my guitar into it without using the effects loop. It seems that I can barely turn the master volume up cause it's so loud instantly. And I feel like I'm not getting to push the power tubes (GT-KT66HPs) at all. I play metal/hardcore so i need it as brutal as possible any suggestions to get more umph out of the power section? Or am i worrying about nothing

These amps do little to really push the output section. The trick is to have the master all the way up and try to limit the gain in the front end from overdriving, compressing, and getting all buzzy. A 5751 in V1 and V2 will help a bit more.
The thing is there's only the master volume available to crank the channel volume isn't active when you don't use the loop. Any ideas? Should I just run the loop with nothing in it to get this to work?
This amp really is not the tool to use for what you are trying to accomplish.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Myles,

I recently purchased a 1984 Sundown Artist head (100W) on Ebay. The clean channel is pretty nice but on the overdirve channel, there is almost no sustain. The sound is fuzzy and muddy and overall VERY disappointing. I'm hoping you worked on a couple of these back in the day and can make some tube suggestions.

The supposedly "new" Ruby 6550's it came with didn't last much more than 1 hour. One of the tubes shorted out (plate structure was glowing red). I put in the backup set of plastic-base Sovteks and it actually sounded a little better. Preamp tubes are all new from Doug's Tubes: GT Mullard reissue in V1, JJ hi-gain ecc83 in V2-V5 (V5 is balanced). Tried swapping them around but other than the fact that the GT had a nicer midrange, my overdrive still sounds like a solid state Crate. I had the amp sent to the designer/builder Dennis Kager and he did an inspection and a preamp circuitry update but it didn't seem to do much.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Originally posted by caughtlikefire:

Myles,

I recently purchased a 1984 Sundown Artist head (100W) on Ebay. The clean channel is pretty nice but on the overdirve channel, there is almost no sustain. The sound is fuzzy and muddy and overall VERY disappointing. I'm hoping you worked on a couple of these back in the day and can make some tube suggestions.

The supposedly "new" Ruby 6550's it came with didn't last much more than 1 hour. One of the tubes shorted out (plate structure was glowing red). I put in the backup set of plastic-base Sovteks and it actually sounded a little better. Preamp tubes are all new from Doug's Tubes: GT Mullard reissue in V1, JJ hi-gain ecc83 in V2-V5 (V5 is balanced). Tried swapping them around but other than the fact that the GT had a nicer midrange, my overdrive still sounds like a solid state Crate. I had the amp sent to the designer/builder Dennis Kager and he did an inspection and a preamp circuitry update but it didn't seem to do much.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Where is the bias set?

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I just assummed Dennis would have checked and set bias but I'm starting to think he didn't. Shorted tube, sometimes random crackling sounds on the overdrive channel, fuzzy sound (actually too much gain?) . . . I'm probably running too hot.

Any recommendations on a decent bias probe? My only other amp is a Mesa Rectoverb so I've never had to buy/use one before.

thanks again

Originally posted by caughtlikefire:

I just assummed Dennis would have checked and set bias but I'm starting to think he didn't. Shorted tube, sometimes random crackling sounds on the overdrive channel, fuzzy sound (actually too much gain?) . . . I'm probably running too hot.

Any recommendations on a decent bias probe? My only other amp is a Mesa Rectoverb so I've never had to buy/use one before.

thanks again

I personally like our bias tool as it is cheap and uses any convention cheap meter rather than being big and bulky for my toolbox and having a meter that is prone to breakage and cannot be used as a meter for other amp uses.

The again, I am biased :freak: but I used these long before I came to GT.

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1191

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, in the Peavey Classic 50/50 Power Amp

I'm tring to figure out which way the matched quads should be put in since they are all just grouped together as 8 in the amp.

bassically the tubes look like this in the amp:

OOOO

OOOO

so are the tubes grouped like this:

OOOO (top)

OOOO (bottom)

or are they:

(left) (right)

OO OO

OO OO

Also what are the original tubes that come with the peavey 50/50 since they are unlabeled? And what Groove Tube rating are they? Just curious, thanks

I've got one of these puppies, and they are set up like this:

OOOO (top)

OOOO (bottom)

I've had good luck going with the JJ el84's, and Jan Phillips 12AX7's and 12AT7's respectively.

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Originally posted by KHAN:

Hey Myles, in the Peavey Classic 50/50 Power Amp

I'm tring to figure out which way the matched quads should be put in since they are all just grouped together as 8 in the amp.

bassically the tubes look like this in the amp:

OOOO

OOOO

so are the tubes grouped like this:

OOOO (top)

OOOO (bottom)

or are they:

(left) (right)

OO OO

OO OO

Also what are the original tubes that come with the peavey 50/50 since they are unlabeled? And what Groove Tube rating are they? Just curious, thanks

I've got one of these puppies, and they are set up like this:

OOOO (top)

OOOO (bottom)

I've had good luck going with the JJ el84's, and Jan Phillips 12AX7's and 12AT7's respectively.

These tubes are grouped as the above and are generally EL84R (Sovtek) in mid ratings.

I prefer the JJ in a #5-6 rating.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles:

This is from the other guitar player in my band. We were hoping you could help... thanks so much!

Mike

Traynor YCM Custom Valve 40 1x12

bought new in October from Musician's Friend.

1) low cycle hum will occur intermittently, lasting for about 5 seconds.

This has been occurring with more and more frequency of late. It happens while I'm playing, seemingly during bassier chording. But I've also experienced it between songs as well. The hum will dirty the sound big time.

This is NOT pickup hum, as I've tried with different guitars, cables, etc, unfortunately with the same results.

2) Volume drops also occur at frequent intervals. The drops will usually cause loss of about 20-25% of the total volume, and can last for over a minute. These also do occur with varied guitars and cable setups. Both the loss and subsequent volume return are instantaneous.

I've checked over tubes, wiring, speakers, etc, and all appears to be securely in place, and in fine condition.

The amp has never been dropped, or abused, and only has about four gigs and

12 rehearsals on it. For the record, none of these problems occurred out of the box.

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

Hey Myles what's the difference between a really high output pickup or a boost in front of a preamp? And what does these type of things do to tone and response

High output pickups will overdrive the input secction faster, compress the signal faster, loose articulation faster.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by mstreck:

Myles:

This is from the other guitar player in my band. We were hoping you could help... thanks so much!

Mike

Traynor YCM Custom Valve 40 1x12

bought new in October from Musician's Friend.

1) low cycle hum will occur intermittently, lasting for about 5 seconds.

This has been occurring with more and more frequency of late. It happens while I'm playing, seemingly during bassier chording. But I've also experienced it between songs as well. The hum will dirty the sound big time.

This is NOT pickup hum, as I've tried with different guitars, cables, etc, unfortunately with the same results.

2) Volume drops also occur at frequent intervals. The drops will usually cause loss of about 20-25% of the total volume, and can last for over a minute. These also do occur with varied guitars and cable setups. Both the loss and subsequent volume return are instantaneous.

I've checked over tubes, wiring, speakers, etc, and all appears to be securely in place, and in fine condition.

The amp has never been dropped, or abused, and only has about four gigs and

12 rehearsals on it. For the record, none of these problems occurred out of the box.

Sounds as if you have a bad power supply filter cap.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles what's the difference between a really high output pickup or a boost in front of a preamp? And what does these type of things do to tone and response

High output pickups will overdrive the input secction faster, compress the signal faster, loose articulation faster.
Cool thanks!

So what will a boost do in comparison to high output pickups to tone and respone?

www.randallflagg.com

Either one will cause the amp to compress faster and at a certain point you will loose articulation, definition, and clarity.

It is all one big tradeoff in the end.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Either one will cause the amp to compress faster and at a certain point you will loose articulation, definition, and clarity.

It is all one big tradeoff in the end.

so why are metal players always after that stuff? Also are pickups like Bill Lawrence 500XL exceptions?

www.randallflagg.com

I am in so many ways not Myles, but he answered your question perfectly. Metal players are into those things because they are not as concerned with articulation, definition and clarity as they are with distortion. You can have some degree of one or the other but not all of both simultaneously.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

Hello Myles,

I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp. I recently bought a GT 12AX7M preamp tube and tried it out in each position (V1, V2, V3). I liked the different tones I got when it was in V1 and V2, so I bought another one! Now my amp has the GT 12AX7 M in V1 and V2, and an EH 12AX7 in V3. Sounds really good with my Vintage Noiseless loaded Strat. I'm curious about the V3 tube now. Can you advise me on a good tube choice for V3 (I think it is the phase inverter?) for best amp performance and tone? I'm not opposed to buying and trying several different tubes, but I don't know where to start.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Stanimal:

Hello Myles,

I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp. I recently bought a GT 12AX7M preamp tube and tried it out in each position (V1, V2, V3). I liked the different tones I got when it was in V1 and V2, so I bought another one! Now my amp has the GT 12AX7 M in V1 and V2, and an EH 12AX7 in V3. Sounds really good with my Vintage Noiseless loaded Strat. I'm curious about the V3 tube now. Can you advise me on a good tube choice for V3 (I think it is the phase inverter?) for best amp performance and tone? I'm not opposed to buying and trying several different tubes, but I don't know where to start.

Thanks!

V3 is the phase inverter and the EH is a bit low on current output from my point of view to be a really good one. Also, the side to side balance of most of the R3's (12AX7EH) is not that great typically.

For phase inverters I like the 12AX7C, 12AX7M, 12AX7LPS Sovteks. If you get a matched one this would be even nicer.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thank you Myles. I'll go to Guitar Center today and see if they have any matched 12AX7's. (I've got a gift card there that I need to use up).

Stan

Stan

The matched ones are the SAG-AX7-MPI and SAG-AT7-MPI and the tubes now are actually screened as of a few months ago "matched phase inverter". So don't let somebody tell you a 12AX7 that they have in stock is matched if it is NOT MARKED as such. Some of the guys over there don't know the difference between one tube and another.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles -

Just to follow up, our friends at Guitar Center did not have any of the SAG/MPI tubes. I ended up getting a GT-12AX7C. I was surprised by the Silver Series designation and the grey silk screening on the tube. I was expecting Red paint like all my other GT's and Gold Series packaging. I hope it ends up being a good tube. On the plus side, it was only $8.99.

Thanks again!

Stan

Myles -

Just to follow up, our friends at Guitar Center did not have any of the SAG/MPI tubes. I ended up getting a GT-12AX7C. I was surprised by the Silver Series designation and the grey silk screening on the tube. I was expecting Red paint like all my other GT's and Gold Series packaging. I hope it ends up being a good tube. On the plus side, it was only $8.99.

Thanks again!

Stan

Stan,

The GT silver series are not as highly seleted and not held to as close tolerances. They are the less pricy GT line. For things like phase inverters (but not balanced or matched), reverb drivers, etc., they are fine.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles what's your opinion of the Bill Lawrence Pickups especially the L-500XL

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/500.htm

Pickups are personal preference like most other things but a guy that builds my guitars, David Neely (originally from Nashville) swears by them.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles what's your opinion of the Bill Lawrence Pickups especially the L-500XL

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/500.htm

Pickups are personal preference like most other things but a guy that builds my guitars, David Neely (originally from Nashville) swears by them.
That's goood enough for me, thanks Myles

www.randallflagg.com

hi Myles-

With "Long plate"/"Short plate" in Preamp tubes-

what are some generalizations you can point out about the differences?

I only read that "long plate=more microphonic".

Can you summarize these two types? Or lead me to a site somewhere.? I looked on your site but couldn't find.. maybe its so obvious there's no discussion of it !

Also perhaps the what/why and the valid-invalid arguements for and against?

Thanks alot

Rivera + Fender Strat