Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by rsf1977:

Originally posted by myles111:

I just bought a Peavey Classic 50/50 Power Amp

I like EL84S #7's for output tubes and ECC83S tubes in V1 and V2
These are JJ. There is no Tesla anymore. But, make sure they are tested in the case of the ECC83S.
Sorry, one more question if I get the Grooove Tube EL84S #7 am I going to have to re-bias the amp or is this a plug and play scenario. I've had a Boogie Recto forever so I'm not familiar with other tube amps and changing tubes?

ryan[/QB]

Ryan,

Plug and play. This is a cathode biased amp and is self biasing.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Dear Myles,

Have you got an opinion on amps for straight-ahead, clean jazz tone? I love my Gilmore Jr. but clean headroom is not necessarily its strongpoint (that would be expecting a lot from 1/2 watt). I've read about the Acoustic Image Clarus heads and the AERs but they are a bit expensive for me. I'm not averse to building something but I suspect that won't be an option. Are their any used heads out there that I might keep an eye out for?

My priorities here include:

1. great sound, preferrably under $400

2. light weight, preferrably under 15 lbs.

3. durability

4. price

Thanks in advance.

Incidentally, I ordered the GT 12AX7 Mullards for my Gilmore Jr. I'm looking forward to receiving them soon.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

Originally posted by FormerOceanwaySlave:

Dear Myles,

Have you got an opinion on amps for straight-ahead, clean jazz tone? I love my Gilmore Jr. but clean headroom is not necessarily its strongpoint (that would be expecting a lot from 1/2 watt). I've read about the Acoustic Image Clarus heads and the AERs but they are a bit expensive for me. I'm not averse to building something but I suspect that won't be an option. Are their any used heads out there that I might keep an eye out for?

My priorities here include:

1. great sound, preferrably under $400

2. light weight, preferrably under 15 lbs.

3. durability

4. price

Thanks in advance.

Incidentally, I ordered the GT 12AX7 Mullards for my Gilmore Jr. I'm looking forward to receiving them soon.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

Alan,

For clean jazz don't rule out solid state amps. The PolyTone is still considered one of the finest jazz amps of all time.

Folks like Crate make some killer light, strong, solid state amps that may be just the ticket. There is a major pedal steel player that uses Crate amps and he has great tone. Just because something is not "tubes" and is not hand wired and not $$$$$ does not mean that it cannot fit the bill perfectly.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I have a yorkville XS400 bass amp. (http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=15&id=250). The amp uses a 12AX7A for what they describe as "Tube powered input and overdrive". The rest of the signal path is solid state.

What tube would you recommend for nice tight definition and clarity? I occaisionally use a 5 string with a low B, if that matters.

Thanks very much.

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

Myles,

I have a yorkville XS400 bass amp. (http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=15&id=250). The amp uses a 12AX7A for what they describe as "Tube powered input and overdrive". The rest of the signal path is solid state.

What tube would you recommend for nice tight definition and clarity? I occaisionally use a 5 string with a low B, if that matters.

Thanks very much.

Paul

Paul,

I like the 12AX7C as these are warm and linear and have few issues with microphonics.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, in the Peavey Classic 50/50 Power Amp

I'm tring to figure out which way the matched quads should be put in since they are all just grouped together as 8 in the amp.

bassically the tubes look like this in the amp:

OOOO

OOOO

so are the tubes grouped like this:

OOOO (top)

OOOO (bottom)

or are they:

(left) (right)

OO OO

OO OO

Also what are the original tubes that come with the peavey 50/50 since they are unlabeled? And what Groove Tube rating are they? Just curious, thanks

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

Hey Myles, in the Peavey Classic 50/50 Power Amp

I'm tring to figure out which way the matched quads should be put in since they are all just grouped together as 8 in the amp.

bassically the tubes look like this in the amp:

OOOO

OOOO

so are the tubes grouped like this:

OOOO (top)

OOOO (bottom)

or are they:

(left) (right)

OO OO

OO OO

Also what are the original tubes that come with the peavey 50/50 since they are unlabeled? And what Groove Tube rating are they? Just curious, thanks

I do not know if they are GT tubes or what the rating is but if from GT most amp makers select 4-7 range tubes.

I do not know how these are laid out.

Sorry.

Maybe drop Peavey an email.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I do not know if they are GT tubes or what the rating is but if from GT most amp makers select 4-7 range tubes.

Sorry.

That's cool thought I'd give it a shot lol. I'm curious what the difference is in tone and response with the different rated powertubes in a self biasing amp? let's the difference between a "4" and a "7" EL84 set

www.randallflagg.com

Hey Myles,

I've used crew socks for many many years, but lately I've been looking into picking up a set of tube socks. Since it is wintertime, i'm obviously looking for warmth and gain, but i don't want to sacrifice too much head room. I'd like to be able to see where i'm walking. Plus, i would like stuff that i can keep clean easily, and doesn't create a lot of fuzz.

Do you have any suggestions as to what's a good "starter set" for tube socks? What's a good place to find them in matched sets? Also, are these something i can bias myself or should I take them to a professional?

Thanks a million. This is 2 steak dinners i owe you now.

-phaeton.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I just had my old Traynor YBA-1 reworked by a local tech who's great with old tube amps. It currently is running EL34's and I'm really happy with the sound. However, he raves about the old 6CA7's and now that a couple of folks have started producing them again (including GT) he's suggested replacing the EL34's. What kind of sound difference might I expect?

Hey Myles I am trying to get a specific sound out of my effect pedals.

Right now I have a digitech RP-100 , a MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive pedal (which by the way rocks) and a Cry baby

Im trying to get my pedals to sound like that solo on Highway Star - Deep Purple. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thks :thu:

Devin W

Canadian Eh!!

I was just aboot to play guitar.

Sorry.

That's cool thought I'd give it a shot lol. I'm curious what the difference is in tone and response with the different rated powertubes in a self biasing amp? let's the difference between a "4" and a "7" EL84 set
7 will stay cleaner a bit longer and draw higher current.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by phaeton:

Hey Myles,

I've used crew socks for many many years, but lately I've been looking into picking up a set of tube socks. Since it is wintertime, i'm obviously looking for warmth and gain, but i don't want to sacrifice too much head room. I'd like to be able to see where i'm walking. Plus, i would like stuff that i can keep clean easily, and doesn't create a lot of fuzz.

Do you have any suggestions as to what's a good "starter set" for tube socks? What's a good place to find them in matched sets? Also, are these something i can bias myself or should I take them to a professional?

Thanks a million. This is 2 steak dinners i owe you now.

-phaeton.

I have no idea what tube socks are.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by mjmclane:

I just had my old Traynor YBA-1 reworked by a local tech who's great with old tube amps. It currently is running EL34's and I'm really happy with the sound. However, he raves about the old 6CA7's and now that a couple of folks have started producing them again (including GT) he's suggested replacing the EL34's. What kind of sound difference might I expect?

The true 6CA7 has a higher vacuum and active beam forming element (which the EL-34 does not have). There are some "6CA7" tubes sold which are nothing more than bigger bottle EL34 from the same company.

The 6CA7 is stronger than the EL34 of the same rating, takes quite a bit more bias to keep it in check (as much or more than a 6L6). The tube is deeper in tone.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by stratolifer:

Hey Myles I am trying to get a specific sound out of my effect pedals.

Right now I have a digitech RP-100 , a MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive pedal (which by the way rocks) and a Cry baby

Im trying to get my pedals to sound like that solo on Highway Star - Deep Purple. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thks :thu:

There are a lot of ways to go but I need to know what amp and guitar you are using as that is the first part of the issue.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles and all,

My appologies if this has been covered elsewhere...

It has been a while since I have had a working EL34 amp but I have just rebuilt an old '65 twin channel amp fitted with an old pair of National 6CA7's. These 'ol girls are well due for retirement so I'm looking at the what is currently available.

Back when I had my last EL34 amp (a Marshall 2204) the Svetlana's were my favourites. I'm aware that the Svet factory no longer makes these and they are made by Reflector instead but there are still some older versions around (I hope).

Firstly are these the tubes known as 'Winged C' or 'SED' Svet's? Since my amps have all been 6L6 powered for the last few years I have not been following the EL34's evolution.

Secondly can anybody recommend a good supply of these old Svetlana's?

Thanks...

Originally posted by snoz65:

Hey Myles and all,

My appologies if this has been covered elsewhere...

It has been a while since I have had a working EL34 amp but I have just rebuilt an old '65 twin channel amp fitted with an old pair of National 6CA7's. These 'ol girls are well due for retirement so I'm looking at the what is currently available.

Back when I had my last EL34 amp (a Marshall 2204) the Svetlana's were my favourites. I'm aware that the Svet factory no longer makes these and they are made by Reflector instead but there are still some older versions around (I hope).

Firstly are these the tubes known as 'Winged C' or 'SED' Svet's? Since my amps have all been 6L6 powered for the last few years I have not been following the EL34's evolution.

Secondly can anybody recommend a good supply of these old Svetlana's?

Thanks...

For NOS 6L6's and maybe the svets contact Mike at www.kcanostubes.com

GT also sells real Svet 6L6's called the 6L6R2.

GT also sells actual 6CA7's (higher vacuum and active beam forming element as a 6CA7 which is not the same as an EL34, even though electronically swappable) called the GT-6CA7GE

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by mjmclane:

I went ahead with the switch out to 6CA7's. With the EL34's I backed off my treble control a couple of notches. With the 6CA7's I leave is flat. This would support your "deeper tone" comment. Thanks.

You are quite welcome.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Sorry to bother you with this here, but maybe you could shed some light on this problem for me...

I'm having a problem with the master website list. When I open it to edit, 50% of the UBB "URL" code is gone. It started with only one or two missing but as I've added more and more, at least half of it is gone everytime I edit. This means I have to redo half of the urls everytime I add a new one. Is this something wrong with the forum that could be corrected or is it strictly a limitation?

Originally posted by A String:

Sorry to bother you with this here, but maybe you could shed some light on this problem for me...

I'm having a problem with the master website list. When I open it to edit, 50% of the UBB "URL" code is gone. It started with only one or two missing but as I've added more and more, at least half of it is gone everytime I edit. This means I have to redo half of the urls everytime I add a new one. Is this something wrong with the forum that could be corrected or is it strictly a limitation?

I am sorry but I have no idea.

I did not do the post and really have no idea on it's problems. There may be some sort of limitation on entries but I do not know what they would be.

Sorry.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles..

I've been having some strange channel hopping with my TSL-122 lately. I'm sitting perfectly in Crunch and then it hops to Lead.. Clean.. back and where ever :freak:

Never happened before last month.

I'm running the stock 5 switch pedal.

It's never fallen over on its' back with the cord plugged in but has tumbled (about a year ago) onto its' back and slid the length of a van.

Everything ran great after that so I asumed all was well.

I'm fine with an iron but before I open it up and retouch the contacts I thought I'd see if you ever heard of such a problem, either with the pedal, socket or amp.

thanx

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

Hi Myles..

I've been having some strange channel hopping with my TSL-122 lately. I'm sitting perfectly in Crunch and then it hops to Lead.. Clean.. back and where ever :freak:

Never happened before last month.

I'm running the stock 5 switch pedal.

It's never fallen over on its' back with the cord plugged in but has tumbled (about a year ago) onto its' back and slid the length of a van.

Everything ran great after that so I asumed all was well.

I'm fine with an iron but before I open it up and retouch the contacts I thought I'd see if you ever heard of such a problem, either with the pedal, socket or amp.

thanx

The amp needs to see a bench. Some stray short is hitting the relay or the relay on the PCB is bad.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hey Myles, i have a Dual Rect (2 Channel) and I just run my guitar into it without using the effects loop. It seems that I can barely turn the master volume up cause it's so loud instantly. And I feel like I'm not getting to push the power tubes (GT-KT66HPs) at all. I play metal/hardcore so i need it as brutal as possible any suggestions to get more umph out of the power section? Or am i worrying about nothing

www.randallflagg.com

hey Myles, i have a Dual Rect (2 Channel) and I just run my guitar into it without using the effects loop. It seems that I can barely turn the master volume up cause it's so loud instantly. And I feel like I'm not getting to push the power tubes (GT-KT66HPs) at all. I play metal/hardcore so i need it as brutal as possible any suggestions to get more umph out of the power section? Or am i worrying about nothing

These amps do little to really push the output section. The trick is to have the master all the way up and try to limit the gain in the front end from overdriving, compressing, and getting all buzzy. A 5751 in V1 and V2 will help a bit more.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr