Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by myles111:

Originally posted by WaterMan:

Myles,

You referred me to the DS-1 for my Maz 18 Jr, and it does sound good. Thought I might tweek it a bit, however; maybe smooth out some rough edges. Any thoughts on the Keeley vs AnalogMan mods for this pedal?

I use the pedal stock.
OK. And while I'm at it, any thoughts on a reverb unit/pedal to use with Pierson's Champ?

Thanks, Myles.

Myles,

You referred me to the DS-1 for my Maz 18 Jr, and it does sound good. Thought I might tweek it a bit, however; maybe smooth out some rough edges. Any thoughts on the Keeley vs AnalogMan mods for this pedal?

I use the pedal stock.
OK. And while I'm at it, any thoughts on a reverb unit/pedal to use with Pierson's Champ?

Thanks, Myles.

Most tweed era amps do not need reverb due to their resonant nature. If you do want one, I like the Boss Digital Delay / Rvb pedal, the grey ones.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

say, Myles...

Provided I got myself a matched duet of the apropriate output-tubes and a SAG-MPI to go with 'em...

...any reasons that I might NOT want to run my Carvin Vintage 33 1x12 combo with two (instead of four) output-tubes at 4-ohms?

Would there be any actual and real benefits to doing so?

Just curious about various ways to get more versatility out of my little Vintage 33 in small "live" settings and living-rooms...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

say, Myles...

Provided I got myself a matched duet of the apropriate output-tubes and a SAG-MPI to go with 'em...

...any reasons that I might NOT want to run my Carvin Vintage 33 1x12 combo with two (instead of four) output-tubes at 4-ohms?

Would there be any actual and real benefits to doing so?

Just curious about various ways to get more versatility out of my little Vintage 33 in small "live" settings and living-rooms...

This works fine in some amps but not as well in other amps. Sometimes you end up with more clean headroom at lower levels as the power supply is not taxed at all with half the tubes missing. Try it though, it will boil down to personal taste.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles,

I'm here asking for help/advise once again.

I asked you for your advise on power tubes for my

Soldano Decatone.You recommended the 6l6(S)'s(JJ'S).(I should of listened), but with so many soldano users praising KT66'S, I got those in the HP version with a rating of a 5 for a middle of the road break-up/headroom.My first set came in mismatched, the second set were good supposively, and the tech biased accordingly to plate voltage on my deca.

...........Well...I'm not liking them.The clean has lost some sparkle , and sounds a little hollow(?).Still usable, but its lost something.

The Soldano OD is horrible.It sounds like that wasp in a jar sound.Lost that soldano lead vibe,less sustain, and harmonics dont scream or sustain like they used to.Its lost that articulate note definition at high gain levels that soldano is noted for.Sounds like a metal zone pedal, fuzzy-buzzy & muddy.

Yes I've let the amp warm -up , and tried various tone control retweeks, but can't find a usable tone.

Do you think I have bad KT66HP's, or they are biased to cold, or thats just the way that tube sounds/responds????

The only other thing that makes me think the tubes may be bad is when I first fired her-up (after letting the amp warm-up on stand by for 10 minutes), that after playing for around 10 minutes the two right side power tubes were glowing BRIGHT orange(the whole inside of the tube like a hologin bulb).I turned off the amp for a minute, fired her back-up and they had that normal glow.Played for a couple of hours trying to find a tone I liked to NO avail.

Whats your take?? I'm returning it to the tech today.

Man I should of just went with your recommended 6l6(s)'s. If the tubes test ok , I hope He'll honor GT's warranty about swapping them for another GT quad,since I just picked up the amp last night.

Originally posted by Shawners:

Hey Myles,

I'm here asking for help/advise once again.

I asked you for your advise on power tubes for my

Soldano Decatone.You recommended the 6l6(S)'s(JJ'S).(I should of listened), but with so many soldano users praising KT66'S, I got those in the HP version with a rating of a 5 for a middle of the road break-up/headroom.My first set came in mismatched, the second set were good supposively, and the tech biased accordingly to plate voltage on my deca.

...........Well...I'm not liking them.The clean has lost some sparkle , and sounds a little hollow(?).Still usable, but its lost something.

The Soldano OD is horrible.It sounds like that wasp in a jar sound.Lost that soldano lead vibe,less sustain, and harmonics dont scream or sustain like they used to.Its lost that articulate note definition at high gain levels that soldano is noted for.Sounds like a metal zone pedal, fuzzy-buzzy & muddy.

Yes I've let the amp warm -up , and tried various tone control retweeks, but can't find a usable tone.

Do you think I have bad KT66HP's, or they are biased to cold, or thats just the way that tube sounds/responds????

The only other thing that makes me think the tubes may be bad is when I first fired her-up (after letting the amp warm-up on stand by for 10 minutes), that after playing for around 10 minutes the two right side power tubes were glowing BRIGHT orange(the whole inside of the tube like a hologin bulb).I turned off the amp for a minute, fired her back-up and they had that normal glow.Played for a couple of hours trying to find a tone I liked to NO avail.

Whats your take?? I'm returning it to the tech today.

Man I should of just went with your recommended 6l6(s)'s. If the tubes test ok , I hope He'll honor GT's warranty about swapping them for another GT quad,since I just picked up the amp last night.

Shawners,

The HPs are love by a lot of Soldano folks. They should be biased at 30mA or so.

They will be a bit darker than the 6L6S as they have stronger mids and lows and are more linear than a 6L6 of any type actually.

They should not have lit up like that, and even moreso, after that happened they should have not gone back to normal. Since this happened on two tubes I would suspect something in the bias supply to that duet of the quad more than the tubes but if it is the tubes GT will replace the entire quad.

NAMM is this week so most folks are gone but if you want a replacement call Patrick next Monday at 1-800-459-5687 and he will get the set replaced.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Miles, Wanna get you thoughts on Regulators like a Furman ar117 or 1215 for a rack system with Triaxis, 290 power amp and Relpifex. I keep getting mixed reviews. To my mind if you control the flux of voltage from gig to gig, the rig would sound more consistant. Also need your thoughts on Bias mod for a mesa 290 power amp. Thanks Frank C
Frank C.

Myles,

I don't want to beat a dead horse,but my tech said he called you last night with my concerns about the KT66hp's and my Decatone.He's saying you told him you wouldn't recommend KT66Hp's as a choice for my Decatone.(???)I'm puzzeled because your replys to me when asking about them was that alot of soldano users love this tube.I know your first recommendation was the 6l6(s)'s.

He's feeling he did what I payed him to do , for the tubes I requested.That I bought into internet hype about a tube , not his fault I don't like them.He claims the amp checks out fine , and so do the tubes.I don't know all he did to retest them, but he say's there fine.I find that hard to believe after the way the two right sided tubes looked when they lit up in that melt down look.GT's site claims these are there favorit/best power tubes for guitar amps made??

If that is true, why would I pay over $200.00 for new tubes, bias,and look over the amp, to make it sound fuzzy-buzzy,lifeless, like a badly overdriven metal zone pedal(not in a good way).

If I bought into hype, why are KT66HP's the number one upgrade for a new Soldano??With all the praises of this tube on the soldano forum, gear page, and harmony-central I find it hard to believe its hype.It does sound like alot of people have gotten bad KT66hp's, but when good sets arrives they are happy.On the soldano forum alone 3 people have talked about having to order 2-3 sets before getting a good set,some people reporting tube melt downs,like mine(even professionally biased by a tech, like my situation).I'm not upset with you, on the contrary, your the only one helping me in this situation.The tech is telling me you guy's charged him for shipping on my replacement HP's+ return shipping for the RMA on the first set that arrived supposively mismatched.He'll refund my $ for the tubes only if GT gives him a refund, or If they'll only swap for a new different quad, than I have to pay shipping & rma return shipping+ fees to rebias.I'm glad I didn't let him talk me into the GT reissued GE6l6's.I guess I didn't pick a tech/dealer that cares about their customers satisfaction, or maybe I did buy into hype?I've heard people say these tubes take away some of the fuzzy sound of a soldano, never someone saying it adds to it.

Once again , do you think I have bad tubes,or is this a poor guitar tech/dealer.You've had to come across a soldano amp with kt66hp's during one of your amp blue printing seminars, did it sound like I discribed??Part of what I payed for was for them to look over my amp, which they said is fine, and even impressive for the quality job soldano does in building their amps??

I'm gonna pick-up my amp, put the 5881's back in( the tube that doesn't receive alot of praise, but after this ordeal..welcome home old friends..I have new respect for you),cut my losses, fall back in love with my amp, and enjoy playing once again.No offense , but I won't be rushing to try expensive, upgraded tubes again.

Originally posted by Frank C:

Hi Miles, Wanna get you thoughts on Regulators like a Furman ar117 or 1215 for a rack system with Triaxis, 290 power amp and Relpifex. I keep getting mixed reviews. To my mind if you control the flux of voltage from gig to gig, the rig would sound more consistant. Also need your thoughts on Bias mod for a mesa 290 power amp. Thanks Frank C

Frank,

I personally like these a lot. I don't think of them as having their main use keeping the sound more consistant as much as keeping things from being damaged. The power in many venues is just awful. Units such as these are really cheap insurance.

On adding a bias mod to fixed bias amps such as Mesa (and Hiwatt + others) - my thinking is not technically amazing, it is just my personal thinking.....

I have a number of Mesa amps myself. I have the amps open a number of times during the year to clean them out, maybe lube the pots, and whatever. Once the amp is out of the box it would take me about a minute or two to add an adjustable bias pot, and I have these pots lying around as replacements for pots in other amps.

None of my Mesa amps have a pot installed. I see no reason personally. The Mesa amps work great with the 4-7 range of tubes from GT and when I use non-GT tubes I just get tubes that fall in the mid range of spec and voila ... life is great. The lack of a pot means it cannot be moved by a tech if you do not work on your own amp which is a benefit too at times.

The folks at Mesa are pretty darn sharp. They set it at the factory and then you can just forget it.

Now, if you are given a set of amazing and expensive NOS tubes, or a box of them, and want to use them in the amp and they are not in an average range, then perhaps an adjustable bias pot would be a good thing to do.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I don't want to beat a dead horse,but my tech said he called you last night with my concerns about the KT66hp's and my Decatone.

yes he did

He's saying you told him you wouldn't recommend KT66Hp's as a choice for my Decatone.(???)

no, this is not what I said. I told him I bias at 30mA and one of the tubes may have become damaged in shipment.

He said you did not like the tone.

I said if you liked the tone better with the original tubes more then we would swap them for him.

I'm puzzeled because your replys to me when asking about them was that alot of soldano users love this tube.I know your first recommendation was the 6l6(s)'s.

I love either the KT66HP or S in these amps. In my THD Flexi I have moved to the HP. I normally use HPs now in Fender amps now too. Most of my Soldano folks prefer the HPs and most of my 5150 and 5152 people that also have SLOs prefer the 6L6S in their Peavey amps. I guess what I am saying here is it is all personal taste.

He's feeling he did what I payed him to do , for the tubes I requested.That I bought into internet hype about a tube , not his fault I don't like them.He claims the amp checks out fine , and so do the tubes.I don't know all he did to retest them, but he say's there fine.

I did talk with him at length. He has the bias set nicely and we went over the bias circuit to test it also. He was pretty darn complete in his testing and setup. He is a great tech by the way. I suggested that if you do not like the tone of the amp with the 66's that he talk to you about replacing them with the stock Sovtek 5881 WXT tubes that came in the amp originally. Maybe you wanted to hear the amp do something different than stock and the HPs were not that for you.

I find that hard to believe after the way the two right sided tubes looked when they lit up in that melt down look.GT's site claims these are there favorit/best power tubes for guitar amps made??

These used to be Aspen's favorite 6L6 type but that was written before he bought the tooling for the 6L6GE when the GE plant in KY shut down and he started producting that tube. Now that may be his favorite. I don't think this has anything to do with this actually though, that is his own personal taste.

If that is true, why would I pay over $200.00 for new tubes, bias,and look over the amp, to make it sound fuzzy-buzzy,lifeless, like a badly overdriven metal zone pedal(not in a good way).

I don't know how to answer or comment on your thinking. Again, this is personal taste. Most folks I know that use the HPs love them. Your tech says the amps sounds and works fine so this may boil down to your tech driving a green car that runs great but you prefer a white car.

If I bought into hype, why are KT66HP's the number one upgrade for a new Soldano??With all the praises of this tube on the soldano forum, gear page, and harmony-central I find it hard to believe its hype.It does sound like alot of people have gotten bad KT66hp's, but when good sets arrives they are happy.On the soldano forum alone 3 people have talked about having to order 2-3 sets before getting a good set,some people reporting tube melt downs,like mine(even professionally biased by a tech, like my situation).I'm not upset with you, on the contrary, your the only one helping me in this situation.The tech is telling me you guy's charged him for shipping on my replacement HP's+ return shipping for the RMA on the first set that arrived supposively mismatched.He'll refund my $ for the tubes only if GT gives him a refund, or If they'll only swap for a new different quad, than I have to pay shipping & rma return shipping+ fees to rebias.I'm glad I didn't let him talk me into the GT reissued GE6l6's.I guess I didn't pick a tech/dealer that cares about their customers satisfaction, or maybe I did buy into hype?I've heard people say these tubes take away some of the fuzzy sound of a soldano, never someone saying it adds to it.

Once again , do you think I have bad tubes,or is this a poor guitar tech/dealer.You've had to come across a soldano amp with kt66hp's during one of your amp blue printing seminars, did it sound like I discribed??Part of what I payed for was for them to look over my amp, which they said is fine, and even impressive for the quality job soldano does in building their amps??

I'm gonna pick-up my amp, put the 5881's back in( the tube that doesn't receive alot of praise, but after this ordeal..welcome home old friends..I have new respect for you),cut my losses, fall back in love with my amp, and enjoy playing once again.No offense , but I won't be rushing to try expensive, upgraded tubes again.

I don't know what to say here. The KT66HP is a large tube and large tubes are prone to shipping damage. If a tube is bad GT will replace the set within 90 days. When GT ships power tubes they only ship 3 day select or better. The less time tubes spend in transit the better they like it.

In any case, I love the HP and have many clients that also love them. It is just personal taste in the end.

Let me try to go through this ... it is long so I will copy this and insert above.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Final question Myles,

Are KT66HP's in a Decatone amp suppose to sound like "wasp in a jar", fuzzy -buzzy, loss of sustain and overall clarity?

This is compared to the stock 5881's that come with the amp?

The 5881's had better/clearer/tighter bass responce,notes would sustain for days,and harmonics jump off the fret board.I loved the soldano sound/vibe.

If any tube is a upgrade over the stock 5881's,

weres the upgrade? If I lost the soldano sound/vibe and clarity that soldano's are known for, and the sound turns to mud, even at lower gain settings(????).

This is more than a personal preference or taste.How many people ask you for tubes for a $3100.00+ dollar list amp to make it sound muddy, fuzzy-buzzy,with less drive,and..ohh..yeah kill that annoying sustain...I want it to sound like the metal zone pedal I had into my gorilla amp I had 10-15 years ago??I think I know tone a little better than that.My expectation wasn't to change the soldano sound, but enhance it with better low's and mids, more linear,crisper highs, and a spring board feel that makes playing guitar fun again (as quoted on GT's discription on there website for the kt66HP's).Can you honestly say that from what I discribed, and what you've and the GT website say is merly a difference in taste or opinion???I've got more confidence in you , and history asking you questions to be written off like that.

Final question Myles,

Are KT66HP's in a Decatone amp suppose to sound like "wasp in a jar", fuzzy -buzzy, loss of sustain and overall clarity?

This is compared to the stock 5881's that come with the amp?

The 5881's had better/clearer/tighter bass responce,notes would sustain for days,and harmonics jump off the fret board.I loved the soldano sound/vibe.

If any tube is a upgrade over the stock 5881's,

weres the upgrade? If I lost the soldano sound/vibe and clarity that soldano's are known for, and the sound turns to mud, even at lower gain settings(????).

This is more than a personal preference or taste.How many people ask you for tubes for a $3100.00+ dollar list amp to make it sound muddy, fuzzy-buzzy,with less drive,and..ohh..yeah kill that annoying sustain...I want it to sound like the metal zone pedal I had into my gorilla amp I had 10-15 years ago??I think I know tone a little better than that.My expectation wasn't to change the soldano sound, but enhance it with better low's and mids, more linear,crisper highs, and a spring board feel that makes playing guitar fun again (as quoted on GT's discription on there website for the kt66HP's).Can you honestly say that from what I discribed, and what you've and the GT website say is merly a difference in taste or opinion???I've got more confidence in you , and history asking you questions to be written off like that.

I have no idea of what is going on with your amp.

Folks like the HP in your amp ... I like the HPs in your amp, you do not like the HPs in your amp. What am I supposed to say here now?

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Shawners

A point of reference from my own experiences.

Just recently I purchased one of the new Traynor combo amps w/extension cab.

It came stock with Sovteks...(3) 12AX7's in the front end, and a pair of 5881WXT's for power.

The amp sounded fine...but I wanted a bit more harmonic definition and a meatier, chunkier tone. I decided to try some different tubes.

So far...I've tried out a few brands in the preamp section...Sylvania/GE/RCA/Raytheon...all good NOS tubes.

And I've tired out a few brands in the power slots...Tung-Sol/Philco/Philips/RCA black plates.

You know what...some sound good...and some suck! :D

I've spent a few hundred dollars, and right now, I have a couple dozen 12AX7/AU7/AY7 and another dozen of 6L6/5881 tubes...each one has a different flavor, and some I may not ever use again...because I have others that I like better...

and, I will be getting some more tubes, just to see how THEY sound in my amp.

There is NOTHING wrong with any of the tubes I have...they all check out and spec out just fine...BUT...there is a big difference in how they sound.

So...don't expect any "good sound" guarantees just because you buy a new set of tubes! :)

You have to try 'em out...and if they sound like shit...then you try some different ones. :thu:

If the tubes are truly bad/faulty...then return them for substitutes.

But I don't see that there is anyone here that is to blame for anything...it's just experimentationtrying to get the tone that YOU like...that someone else might hate.

Move forward with it...don't dwell on it and get all worked up about ityoull find a nice tube combinationjust might take a few tries. :cool:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Myles,

I've followed your tube primers, in which you go into detail about how the different tubes sound, their character and feel.I keep asking If what I discribed is the way the KT66HP's are suppose to sound.Thats All I'm asking. If thats how their suppose to sound than I know I don't like that sound,and can move on.With the set I had just had biased lighting up in a melt down look, and not sounding good, makes me suspect that I have bad tubes.The tech says' their fine,

I've trusted your oppionion alot , and learned alot of what I know about tubes from asking you questions, and reading your post and primers.

I respect you , I'm not blaming you, but the only answer your giving me is soldano users and yourself like this tube.If you haven't heard this tube in a soldano , and don't know if thats how it sounds in one..than tell me.The tech has never heard a Soldano before , and didn't play mine before he changed the tubes.So he has no idea how this amp should sound.

Myles,

I've followed your tube primers, in which you go into detail about how the different tubes sound, their character and feel.I keep asking If what I discribed is the way the KT66HP's are suppose to sound.Thats All I'm asking. If thats how their suppose to sound than I know I don't like that sound,and can move on.With the set I had just had biased lighting up in a melt down look, and not sounding good, makes me suspect that I have bad tubes.The tech says' their fine,

I've trusted your oppionion alot , and learned alot of what I know about tubes from asking you questions, and reading your post and primers.

I respect you , I'm not blaming you, but the only answer your giving me is soldano users and yourself like this tube.If you haven't heard this tube in a soldano , and don't know if thats how it sounds in one..than tell me.The tech has never heard a Soldano before , and didn't play mine before he changed the tubes.So he has no idea how this amp should sound.

I have used these tubes (installed them) in at least 1/2 a dozen Soldanos, maybe closer to 10.

The have stronger mid, mid lows, and low end over the 5881WXT (stock tubes) and any other 6L6 actually.

They are as touch sensitive or moreso than any other 6L6 in these amps, and many other amps.

They are perhaps the least "buzzy" tube of the 6L6 family although I do not know what you mean by buzzy as to me this is not any 6L6 trait.

I do not know what tubes you have in your front end and V1 will have more to do with changing the tone of your amp than the output tubes will at many settings.

I did what I can, but without having your amp at my place with you here at the same time there is nothing else I can do. I think we have established that we are either missing something major or mis-communicating.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

...what tubes you have in your front end and V1 will have more to do with changing the tone of your amp than the output tubes will at many settings.

Yes... :thu:

I tried out several power tubes while leaving the front end tubes the same...

...and I only noticed subtle tone differences between the differnet power tubes...until I really push hard on the amp.

But...changing out V1...boy!...it was amazing how one 12AX7 differed from another...causing huge tonal changes in the amp.

Some good quality 12AX7's actually sounded like shit...so the brand isn't the whole story...nor the specs.

It's like trying cookies...they all look good in the box...but some taste better than others! :D

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by miroslav:

...what tubes you have in your front end and V1 will have more to do with changing the tone of your amp than the output tubes will at many settings.

Yes... :thu:

I tried out several power tubes while leaving the front end tubes the same...

...and I only noticed subtle tone differences between the differnet power tubes...until I really push hard on the amp.

But...changing out V1...boy!...it was amazing how one 12AX7 differed from another...causing huge tonal changes in the amp.

Some good quality 12AX7's actually sounded like shit...so the brand isn't the whole story...nor the specs.

It's like trying cookies...they all look good in the box...but some taste better than others! :D

You are right on the money.

I was working with a fellow that builds tweed champs. While checking one out I found it to be pretty amazing, the best of maybe 15 I had heard from the guy.

I pulled the V1 tube (the only preamptube in the amp) to "get the specs" on it. To my surprise, the first gain stage was almost dead (that used that side of the tube). Just goes to show that specs are not the holy grail and yup, you are correct!

So many folks change output tubes, or even worse (as it is even more pricy) speakers! Just fooling around with V1 amd then even trying a 5751, 12AY7, etc., can make you amp into something a lot different than output tube changes etc.

Happy playing.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles , i have an old (very) Traynor YSR-1 custom reverb head, it is working but there is crackling when i play notes, it doesn't exactly follow every note but it is basically quiet until the guitar signal hits it. what basic clean up should i have done to the amp to get it tip top?

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

Myles , i have an old (very) Traynor YSR-1 custom reverb head, it is working but there is crackling when i play notes, it doesn't exactly follow every note but it is basically quiet until the guitar signal hits it. what basic clean up should i have done to the amp to get it tip top?

Clean and lube all the pots, clean the sockets and retension them, find the possibly noise preamp tube(s) by swapping a new one in and out, one position at a time.

This is all covered in the new big book ( http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2065 ) which I am a bit partial to as I have many pieces in it and was the technical guy on the book. But .... it's also covered in the older book that is smaller, cheaper, and less sexy ( http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1188 )

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hello, I was referred here by someone on a question I have.

I'm a big Stone Temple Pilots fan, and I know that Dean uses the Demeter TGP-3 Guitar preamp and a VHT 50 watt per channel poweramp in his live rig. There were only 100 of them built (the demeter), so I'm assuming the price on these is pretty high.

Is there any chance you'd know where I could find a schematic for these preamps/poweramps? Much thanks.

Originally posted by joelap:

Hello, I was referred here by someone on a question I have.

I'm a big Stone Temple Pilots fan, and I know that Dean uses the Demeter TGP-3 Guitar preamp and a VHT 50 watt per channel poweramp in his live rig. There were only 100 of them built (the demeter), so I'm assuming the price on these is pretty high.

Is there any chance you'd know where I could find a schematic for these preamps/poweramps? Much thanks.

I would contact VHT and Jim Demeter directly.

Many times people do not like their prints distributed.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Miles !

Easy question...I plan on getting a THD Univalve and I want to get some tubes to swap. I plan on using this amp head in direct mode for most of what I will do with it.

What tube combination would you recommend for the best chunk distortion sound and what tube combination would you suggest for the nice warm creamy clean (non brittle) tones.

I need clarification too on who to buy from and what exact tube numbers....I got some really good advice from Mike and when I looked at the EL-34's and 6550's etc there were like a few variations of different letters that went with the 6550's etc that made it more confusing. Pretend I'm in third grade and please be specific,,,this moron will be better off :D

Thanks !

Rob

Mix of Rock, Metal & Heavy Fusion

http://www.visualcliff.net

My new band...Melodic Hard Rock

http://www.fallofechoes.com

Originally posted by robbue:

Hi Miles !

Easy question...I plan on getting a THD Univalve and I want to get some tubes to swap. I plan on using this amp head in direct mode for most of what I will do with it.

What tube combination would you recommend for the best chunk distortion sound and what tube combination would you suggest for the nice warm creamy clean (non brittle) tones.

I need clarification too on who to buy from and what exact tube numbers....I got some really good advice from Mike and when I looked at the EL-34's and 6550's etc there were like a few variations of different letters that went with the 6550's etc that made it more confusing. Pretend I'm in third grade and please be specific,,,this moron will be better off :D

Thanks !

Rob

Rob,

I have a number of questions for you before I can answer!

Give me a call during the week toll free at 1-800-459-5687 as GT between about 9am-11am PST and I'll try to help.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hey myles, sorry i posted this in the wrong place originally so I'm reposting it here...

I just bought a Peavey Classic 50/50 Power Amp

wondering what tubes I should go with to make this optimized for detuned metal I play metal/hardcore in CGCFAD tuning any suggestions on tubes to put in this. It still has the original factory set.

ryan

Peavey 50/50 Stats:

Two 12AX7 and two 12AT7 preamp tubes and eight EL84 power amp tubes

50 Watts RMS per channel into 4, 8, or 16 Ohms

100 Watts RMS mono into 2, 4, or 8 Ohms

Stereo/mono switch

Each channel: level, presence and resonance controls

Fan cooled

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

Originally posted by rsf1977:

hey myles, sorry i posted this in the wrong place originally so I'm reposting it here...

wondering what tubes I should go with to make this optimized for detuned metal I play metal/hardcore in CGCFAD tuning any suggestions on tubes to put in this. It still has the original factory set.

ryan

Peavey 50/50 Stats:

Two 12AX7 and two 12AT7 preamp tubes and eight EL84 power amp tubes

50 Watts RMS per channel into 4, 8, or 16 Ohms

100 Watts RMS mono into 2, 4, or 8 Ohms

Stereo/mono switch

Each channel: level, presence and resonance controls

Fan cooled

I like EL84S #7's for output tubes and ECC83S tubes in V1 and V2. I always used a matched phase inverter.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

wondering what tubes I should go with [/qb]

I like EL84S #7's for output tubes and ECC83S tubes in V1 and V2. I always used a matched phase inverter.[/QB]

is the "EL84S" and "ECC83S" groove tube names? What would be there actual names if I were looking for them at another vendor like "EL84 Tesla" or something. Basically what tubes are they before they get renamed lol :)

ryan

www.randallflagg.com

wondering what tubes I should go with

I like EL84S #7's for output tubes and ECC83S tubes in V1 and V2. I always used a matched phase inverter.[/QB]

is the "EL84S" and "ECC83S" groove tube names? What would be there actual names if I were looking for them at another vendor like "EL84 Tesla" or something. Basically what tubes are they before they get renamed lol :)

ryan[/QB]

Ryan,

These are JJ. There is no Tesla anymore. But, make sure they are tested in the case of the ECC83S.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I like EL84S #7's for output tubes and ECC83S tubes in V1 and V2
These are JJ. There is no Tesla anymore. But, make sure they are tested in the case of the ECC83S.[/QB]

Sorry, one more question if I get the Grooove Tube EL84S #7 am I going to have to re-bias the amp or is this a plug and play scenario. I've had a Boogie Recto forever so I'm not familiar with other tube amps and changing tubes?

ryan

www.randallflagg.com