Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by rsf1977:

On the amp with the two tubes lighting up, it sounds as if you lost the bias supply on those sockets.

Pull all the output tubes.

Turn the amp on with nothing in the input and the volume and master all the way down.

Measure the voltage on pin 5 of all the output tube sockets. You should see about -52 volts.

Then let me know what you find and we will take it from there.

Ok I was actually able to figure out how to test it and all 4 power tube Pin-5s come up as -53 volts. Is it possible that the tubes were mismatched even though they were all labeled "6"?
Your bias sounds fine.

It could be that there was shipping damage on one or more of the tubes if they were dropped in shipment. This is not all that uncommon.

What type of tubes are they again?

Where were did they come from?

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by dales:

Hi Myles, I'm wondering if you know anything about rotary speakers for guitar. like a leslie but without the amp so as to use it in an external speaker jack. leslie is too big. I'm thinking about building one but i'm wondering if something like that exists?

Fender had a cool unit in the past, maybe they still do.

Another company, Rotosound has one that is very popular and works really nicely.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hey Myles quick question the GT-KT66HP what is it's equivalent from other vendors?

There is none.

There are the KT66C (Shuguang) but it has a limit of about 450 plate volts.

There is the Valve Art, also Chinese.

But the KT66HP is made in the Reflector Factory (also Sovtek and EH tubes are made there) off GT tooling and is an exclusive GT tube (good to over 525 plate volts) that was developed off the original GEC KT-66 specs.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Your bias sounds fine.

It could be that there was shipping damage on one or more of the tubes if they were dropped in shipment. This is not all that uncommon.

They were a quad of GT-KT66HPs (6 rating) ordererd through musicians friend. They arrived in that plastic tube groove tubes uses, but was odd was the tubes didn't really fit and it must have opened in shipping and one of the tubes came out. The more I write the more i realize I should have figured they got damaged in shipping haha

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

Your bias sounds fine.

They were a quad of GT-KT66HPs (6 rating) ordererd through musicians friend. They arrived in that plastic tube groove tubes uses, but was odd was the tubes didn't really fit and it must have opened in shipping and one of the tubes came out. The more I write the more i realize I should have figured they got damaged in shipping haha
Lots of red flags here ....

1. KT66HPs travel worse than just about any other tube due to their construction.

2. GT has not used plastic tubes for a few years so these were OLD tubes. (if you let me know the three letter code on the base by the rating number I can tell you how old) but at this point the exact date is no biggie ... they are old.

3. .... which means ....

4. At a major warehouse facility we can only speculate how many times there were moved or relocated over the years.

I would be if I put the set back on the test equipment they would not even be close to being matched in any way anymore.

5. But .... if they are less than three months old you can call Patrick over at GT at 1-800-459-5687 and get an RA number to have the entire set replaced with new ones as they would be covered under GT warranty and GT will do the warranty for Musician's Friend so you do not have to try to attempt working with such a big organization.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Hi Myles, I'm wondering if you know anything about rotary speakers for guitar. like a leslie but without the amp so as to use it in an external speaker jack. leslie is too big. I'm thinking about building one but i'm wondering if something like that exists?

Another company, Rotosound has one that is very popular and works really nicely.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif Please forgive the correction here, Myles, but I believe that it's Motion-Sound that you're thinking of. (Rotosound makes strings.)

That's a link there for to be clonked-upon, dales, that'll whisk you away to their 'site, full of very cool stuff. (I think they even use a tube or two here and there in some of their products.) From there, you'll want to click to "Guitar Amplifiers" and "Portable Rotory", if not their other lines.

The Fender rotory speaker-cab was called the Vibratone. I don't believe that any Vibratone cabs have been made by Fender in decades, but I might have missed a "Re-Issue" or something, who knows. (A quick search found no links to new retail sales or anything posted by Fendr.)

Then there's the Mesa Boogie Revolver and/or Revolver MkII, which I'm also having trouble tracking-down... hmmn?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Originally posted by myles111:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif Please forgive the correction here, Myles, but I believe that it's Motion-Sound that you're thinking of. (Rotosound makes strings.)

That's a link there for to be clonked-upon, dales, that'll whisk you away to their 'site, full of very cool stuff. (I think they even use a tube or two here and there in some of their products.) From there, you'll want to click to "Guitar Amplifiers" and "Portable Rotory", if not their other lines.

The Fender rotory speaker-cab was called the Vibratone. I don't believe that any Vibratone cabs have been made by Fender in decades, but I might have missed a "Re-Issue" or something, who knows. (A quick search found no links to new retail sales or anything posted by Fendr.)

Then there's the Mesa Boogie Revolver and/or Revolver MkII, which I'm also having trouble tracking-down... hmmn?

CaevanO'Shite .........

Forgive the correction? I should pay you for fixing my mistakes and omissions!

Thanks for helping with more details and more correct info.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, can you request a good online vendor to by a quad of Groove Tubes KT66HPs from. I'm gonna check the 3 letter code on the old ones that are messed up when I get home to find out how old they are. I'll let you know.

Either of these guys are great folks:

www.kcanostubes.com

www.dougstubes.com

They each are GT dealers but also have lots of other cool stuff too.

You can also go directly to the GT website but GT only sells for retail and does not undersell their dealers and most dealers discount. If you do get something off the GT website though, in the comments section of the order mention that you know me and I will hand pick and hand trace the tubes. If there is a phase inverter involved with output tubes I match the output tubes and phase inverter rise time to compliment each other. This is normally pretty costly as it has to be done on a vacuum tube curve tracer but for folks I know I do this as a favor.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.kcanostubes.com

www.dougstubes.com

You can also go directly to the GT website but GT only sells for retail and does not undersell their dealers and most dealers discount. If you do get something off the GT website though, in the comments section of the order mention that you know me and I will hand pick and hand trace the tubes. If there is a phase inverter involved with output tubes I match the output tubes and phase inverter rise time to compliment each other. This is normally pretty costly as it has to be done on a vacuum tube curve tracer but for folks I know I do this as a favor.

hey thanks Myles! I'm going to place an order for a quad in a couple min I'll put your name in the comments. Also on the bum set of KT66HP the 3 letter code was "LAK" let me know what that means lol. Thanks again Myles as always!

www.randallflagg.com

Just to add to the Leslie for Guitar portion of the thread. If you can find a Leslie Model 16 http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vrbass/vibratone/1967Leslie16.gif or Model 18 you've got the same device as the Fender Vibratone. Fender owned Leslie during these years.

They come up on the used market sometimes, and are often reasonable for what you're really getting. I found a Leslie 16 with the guitar rig adaptors for $600 a couple years ago, and that was a guitar shop price, not private or Ebay. Nothing beats that rotating speaker (actually baffle) sound. It puts all those pedals that "simulate" phase and chorus to shame.

Downside? Kinda heavy to lug around. For recording? Heaven on earth.

It's cooler in the shade...

www.kcanostubes.com

www.dougstubes.com

hey thanks Myles! I'm going to place an order for a quad in a couple min I'll put your name in the comments. Also on the bum set of KT66HP the 3 letter code was "LAK" let me know what that means lol. Thanks again Myles as always!
On your date code .... LAK

December - first week - 2001.

Like I said ... they are old.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Whoa!

What a cool tip-off! I had never heard of that...

If they're more or less the same as the Vibratone (overall, it looks to be so), they'd give you the particular sound heard on various SRV and Vaughann Bro's. recordings. A little more straight-ahead sound and wiring than the usual keboard-oriented Lelies, what with their rotory horn atop a rotating-baffle/full-range speaker cab.

Thanks for the info, JonnyM! And the pic, too.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey Myles have you seen or heard this amp from Peavey? I know it is probably cheap compared to alot of stuff, but I was wondering if you had any comments on it if you have heard it.

http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/30/20052001.cfm

Valve King

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Hey Myles have you seen or heard this amp from Peavey? I know it is probably cheap compared to alot of stuff, but I was wondering if you had any comments on it if you have heard it.

http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/30/20052001.cfm

Valve King

The link did not work for me - it said they were doing maintenance.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hi myles, just wondering if you could tell me how many ohms is the external speaker jack on a fender blues deville 2 12"(tweed)?

This is also a four ohm jack as the transformer is 4 ohms. If the two jacks are used at the same time the transformer sees a 2 ohm load so you would need to unplug the internal speakers and the you could use two eight ohm cabs, one in each jack without the internal speakers.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

GOD MYLES, thats quite a collection of Dr. Z amps. Looks like you may need to unload 1 or 2 of them!!!

Just kiddin

I don't think I'd get rid of any of them. They are all very different and all have their place.

Don't get the wrong idea though .... there are also Fender, Marshall, Mesa, GT, THD, Top Hat, Victoria, and other amps in other areas of the house.

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/images/DSCF00032.JPG

That is just one of the small areas that my wife hates.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hey myles got the tubes today thanks again for all the help!

ryan

Ryan,

You are more than welcome

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, I tried 2 Dr. Z amps today. 1 was the route 66 (wow), the other was some Orange colored combo with more knobs. Both of these amps are excellent. I cranked up the route 66 and it sings.

I still think for the style of music of my band I will go with the VOX (oh yeah and it is cheaper!).

The guys at the store were talking about you and how you go crazy about Dr.Z! Anyways, you mind if I give you a ring next week at work?

Myles, your a guitar amp PIMP!! Hey, I am going to try some Dr.Z amps tomorrow!! I don't want to buy anything until I have tried them out.

I found a store that carries them. Kind of a hike but worth it. I can't believe how many amps you have. GOD!! I'm jealous.

I have a lot less amps than folks that collect them. The amps I have are all working amps, there is not a amp that sits in the bunch.

Many of them get loaned out to folks like Center Staging when they do not have a model that is requested.

They are also used to support clients on the road if they have an emergency or need.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, I tried 2 Dr. Z amps today. 1 was the route 66 (wow), the other was some Orange colored combo with more knobs. Both of these amps are excellent. I cranked up the route 66 and it sings.

I still think for the style of music of my band I will go with the VOX (oh yeah and it is cheaper!).

The guys at the store were talking about you and how you go crazy about Dr.Z! Anyways, you mind if I give you a ring next week at work?

Feel free to call me at work or at home. I am at GT M-F generally (not this Wednesday as I have to support the Loggins & Messina concert at the Greek in L.A). You can generally get me at GT between 8am and noon.

If you want my home number for afternoons, weekends, and evenings drop me an email at myles@guitaramplifierblueprinting.com and I will send you my home phone number.

A ver cool new forum for all sorts of Z info is at http://drzamplifiers.proboards41.com

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hey myles I was following a post about Furman power conditioner with voltage regulation and someone said "The voltage regulation on a dynamic load like a power amp can cause some unpredictable problems."

I just got a Furman AR-15 Series 2 do I have anything to worry about with my dual rectifier and peavey classic 50/50 connected to it?

www.randallflagg.com

I have been using Furman stuff for decades and never had one single issue or problem.

I use them with amps all the way up to a Rivera TBR-5.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr