Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by dealwithit:

I have a question.

I have been playing for 23 years, and have only recently started making the kind of money that would allow me to buy a new amp. I play a wide variety of music, from Classic Rock (Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Bad Co.) to modern top-40 (Foo Fighters, Creed, Etc.). I have used a 120W solid-state amp (2x12") with distortion pedals since I was 15. I would like to step up to all-tube and get that sound that I envy.

My question is this: can you recommend an all-tube combo that has the distortion to cover my needs? I read and read about the Fender Blues Jr.'s tone, so I ordered one (I figured I could mike it onstage if I had to) and the thing just doesn't have the distortion I need, even when cranked up. I don't want to use pedals anymore, they don't give that sound! I have about $1000 to spend. I've heard about the Fender Twin as well, but the BJr scared me that it won't have enough distortion. I see all those Fenders in your avatar, so I assume you'll recommend a Fender. Can they cut it, from Zeppelin to modern rock?

Any advice appreciated.

Actually, my avatar is always changing and a Fender amp may not be the best choice for harder rock unless used with pedals. There are a lot of great amps out there and trying to answer this here would result in a list of hundreds of amps.

I would suggest going to a good music store and trying things out. Then if you have specific questions you can write back here or email me at GAB or GT.

There is a lot on my GAB website in the amps section of my favorite amp folks and there are many things there that would work nicely.

You can also get to my website with the more simple link of www.mylestose.com

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Hi Myles

I apologize if this has been covered before. I have a question about adding tube-driven pedals or effects units to an amp. it`s possible to match the outputs of amp tubes, but what if you have an effects unit with another 12AX7 preamp tube? then if you`re not happy with the distorrion so you`re thinking about a tube distortion pedal?

won`t the differeing outputs of all these tubes cause problems? is there a way to match all of them?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Myles,

(Univalve) It seems like the GT6V6 power tube is a little limited on high frequency response. The NOS EL34s' frequency response is fine but with a power output around 20 Watts.

Im looking for a power tube with the high end response of at least the EL34 but closer to the power output of the 6V6. Is there such a thing?

When i get big i'm gonn'a get an electric guitar...

When i get real big...

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

Hi Myles

I apologize if this has been covered before. I have a question about adding tube-driven pedals or effects units to an amp. it`s possible to match the outputs of amp tubes, but what if you have an effects unit with another 12AX7 preamp tube? then if you`re not happy with the distorrion so you`re thinking about a tube distortion pedal?

won`t the differeing outputs of all these tubes cause problems? is there a way to match all of them?

This is generally not an issue with tube driven pedals any more than it is an issue with any other pedal. Pedals generally have output level controls.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Flashback:

Myles,

(Univalve) It seems like the GT6V6 power tube is a little limited on high frequency response. The NOS EL34s' frequency response is fine but with a power output around 20 Watts.

Im looking for a power tube with the high end response of at least the EL34 but closer to the power output of the 6V6. Is there such a thing?

The EL34 tube in the UV is closer to 12 watts.

Stick with a good 6V6 or an EL84 in the adaptor.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Myles,

The EL34 tube in the UV is closer to 12 watts.

Stick with a good 6V6 or an EL84 in the adaptor.

When you say a good 6V6 its as if youre saying the 6V6 should have the same high frequency response as the EL34?

When i get real big...

Each of these tubes has high end frequency response far beyond what a guitar amp asks of them.

Well yes that should be the case. It just sounds like the GT6V6 has a big notch out of the high end compared to the NOS EL34 and GT6L6. I dont know, Ill clean my ears and try it again this weekend.

When i get real big...

Each of these tubes has high end frequency response far beyond what a guitar amp asks of them.

Well yes that should be the case. It just sounds like the GT6V6 has a big notch out of the high end compared to the NOS EL34 and GT6L6. I dont know, Ill clean my ears and try it again this weekend.
This depends on the amp and the output transformer.

Think about Hi Fi amps .... they were all flat from 20-20K no matter if EL84, EL34, 6L6, 6550, KT-88, etc.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Ok, lets start at the beginning:

1. Can the power tube in the UniValve color the sound?

2. If so, does the testing at GTs detect abnormal coloration?

1. yes

2. higher rating tubes will stay clean longer.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Pappy Pappadopalus:

Hey Myles:

Do you have an opinion about the Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/481442/

Pappy,

A lot of Peavey stuff is a great value. I cannot comment on this particular amp though as I have never seen one of them.

Sorry.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Darklava:

Can you use a 35or75 watt speaker with a 25 watt

in a vibrolux?

Yup. But make sure the speaker efficiencies of both speakers are close so they are complimentary. You want them within 3dB of each other or less.

The three major speaker folks have links on my website that will take you to their sites and the pages of specs of all their speakers.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Actually, my avatar is always changing and a Fender amp may not be the best choice for harder rock unless used with pedals. There are a lot of great amps out there and trying to answer this here would result in a list of hundreds of amps.

I would suggest going to a good music store and trying things out. Then if you have specific questions you can write back here or email me at GAB or GT.

There is a lot on my GAB website in the amps section of my favorite amp folks and there are many things there that would work nicely.

Okay, I've played alot of amps. I was hoping I could get you to take a leap of faith and recommend one amp that you think could do all that. I hear great things about Mesa/Boogie, but it's hard to find a place that has them available to play. Marshall makes a couple combos, but all I keep reading is that they overheat and are not reliable. I guess I'm still looking...

Thanks for the reply though.

:D

Originally posted by ellwood:

Myles, have you heard of any problems at Ampwares you could relate? I and some others are having a horriable time dealing with them, thanks..LEE

I have not dealt with them but I happen to have Ludo Pierson from Pierson amps here next to me from Flagstaff at the moment and he has dealt with them .... so I am going to turn this over to him and by the way .... his new website is up at www.pierson-amps.com

Mark from Ampwares is a nice guy, however he tends to take a long time before shipping the goods, also some of the NOS Allen Bradley resistors I got were 10% instead of %5. If you are unhappy with them you can check out www.tubesandmore.com nice folks from Tempe Arizona, very efficient and super shipping. L.Pierson

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by dealwithit:

Okay, I've played alot of amps. I was hoping I could get you to take a leap of faith and recommend one amp that you think could do all that. I hear great things about Mesa/Boogie, but it's hard to find a place that has them available to play. Marshall makes a couple combos, but all I keep reading is that they overheat and are not reliable. I guess I'm still looking...

Thanks for the reply though.

:D

A lot of Guitar Center stores now sell Mesa so you may be able to them there.

As far as Marshall combo amps having heat issues, I think personally they are biased too high at 90mA per duet in their 50 watt EL34 based combos and have them run a lot cooler at 75mA or so.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles! I have a question that someone else asked me over the weekend that I don't have an answer for.

Marshall used to make some solid state amps based on the 3005 amp head. It's a 12 watt head and they made both a mini-stack (2 1x10 cabs) as well as a single 1x10 combo.

I guess this is two questions.

1. Is it possible to convert these SS amps into tube amps. If so, would it make any sense to try it? I know you can't just replace the power transistors with tubes. But it might make a neat probject if it's possible. These are simple amps with no effects (well, some had reverb) and only one channel (low/high gain inputs).

2. Since the 3005 head could power two 1x10 cabs could the amp section of a 5005 (which is a 3005) be used to power a 2x10 cab? Or could it be used to drive a separate 1x10 cab along with the combo?

Born on the Bayou

Hi Myles! I was putting the Fender Pro Amp together this afternoon and dropped one of the final tubes!! Do I have to replace both of em now? or can I just buy another one exactly the same?...Fumble Fingers LEE ..thanks

You need to replace the duet. Even if GT of the same tube type and same rating the 10 point scale really spans about a 200 point range so say a #6 may be 72-86 and from those they are broken down to the same matching number for a quad or duet.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Hi Myles! I have a question that someone else asked me over the weekend that I don't have an answer for.

Marshall used to make some solid state amps based on the 3005 amp head. It's a 12 watt head and they made both a mini-stack (2 1x10 cabs) as well as a single 1x10 combo.

I guess this is two questions.

1. Is it possible to convert these SS amps into tube amps. If so, would it make any sense to try it? I know you can't just replace the power transistors with tubes. But it might make a neat probject if it's possible. These are simple amps with no effects (well, some had reverb) and only one channel (low/high gain inputs).

2. Since the 3005 head could power two 1x10 cabs could the amp section of a 5005 (which is a 3005) be used to power a 2x10 cab? Or could it be used to drive a separate 1x10 cab along with the combo?

It is possible to covert these to tube amps but it would entail keeping little more than the chassis and building something in that chassis from scratch. For one major thing, there is no output transformer.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles I have a reissue Vibrolux that when the

reverb is on there is a big time tube rattle

going on,is this a loose tube bad tube or is

this normal for this amp?Sure is anoying

Lava ....

Not normal at all. Probably a microphonic tube.

I see your avatar is somebody that probably knows Jill (my avatar). Another "hot guitarist magazine" girl.

Would this be a preamp tube causing this?

also I'm looking a some GT6L6GE-5 for the vibrolux

do you think this would be a good choice.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Myles I have a reissue Vibrolux that when the

reverb is on there is a big time tube rattle

going on,is this a loose tube bad tube or is

this normal for this amp?Sure is anoying

Lava ....

Not normal at all. Probably a microphonic tube.

I see your avatar is somebody that probably knows Jill (my avatar). Another "hot guitarist magazine" girl.

Would this be a preamp tube causing this?

also I'm looking a some GT6L6GE-5 for the vibrolux

do you think this would be a good choice.

I prefer GEs or the R2 (Svetlana) in your amp. It boils down to a preference of GE or the Sylvania which is the tube Svet copied.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

UPDATE: I fixed the loose tube and it now PERFECT!! man I forgot how good a non reverb combo amp could sound! Thanks for your help Myles..love those tubes!

Happy playing!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr