Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

"Yeah, I was told that the amp runs around $5,000 and has an 8 month wait. Both sort of deal breakers."

Bill

$5,000.00??!!?! DAMN!!

:eek: Yeeeechk- yeah, that's a hefty price... which model was it?

I'm curious as Hell about his SJT 10/20 and JRT 9/15 amps; the descriptions are pretty damn cool.

But, with that price range, well, a Tone King Meteor II (my current pricey "wanna havvitt gimmee gimmee" amp) looks inexpensive by comparisson! So, I'll go on pining for one of them, and be more likely to get one...

Ever look into Tone King amps, Bill? The Comet, Meteor, and Meteor II models are killer! (And less than half the price of that Div x 13, with little or no wait.) The Comet 40 B that I tried once was hands-down the best "Fender" I've ever tried, vintage or boutique, bar none!

The only other amps that I've tried that are even in the same league would be a Matchless John Jorgenson sig-model (JJ/SC30?), an all-original vintage Vox AC50 with the 2x12 cab, a vintage "brownface" Fender Deluxe Amp (non-reverb), and a Fender Custom Shop Vibro King 3x10. I wouldn't trade a Tone King for any of those!

If you are looking for a "Fender" amp ... look at Ben Fargen's amps (the Blackbird). PTP and very high quality at a price that is about 1/2 of what you would expect .... maybe less than $1500. Very cool amps available in 25 or so watt (6V6) and 40 watt (6L6) models for the Fender type amps.

It probably won't be long before the price goes up on these $1000 when you see what they are and how they are built.

www.fargenamps.com I believe.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Hi Myles, Caevan told me to ask you: I have a 1962 Fender Pro Amp that I am restoring, I need to get the 1/4 inch right angle phone jack and cable that goes to the 1X15 inch speaker.. Can I buy a assembly of this jack and cable commercially or would I have to make it myself? I have seen a right angle "F" marked phone plug only but not a complete assembly. Thnaks Myles...Lee in Detroit

Originally posted by ellwood:

Hi Myles, Caevan told me to ask you: I have a 1962 Fender Pro Amp that I am restoring, I need to get the 1/4 inch right angle phone jack and cable that goes to the 1X15 inch speaker.. Can I buy a assembly of this jack and cable commercially or would I have to make it myself? I have seen a right angle "F" marked phone plug only but not a complete assembly. Thnaks Myles...Lee in Detroit

Lee,

Contact the folks at www.tubesandmore.com

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, I smacked the back of my amp today with my hand a couple times and the hiss went away. WOW, this thing sounds incredible. Groove Tubes smoke the stock stuff Peavey uses. It really brings out everything in the amp. One of the few amps I have heard that has 2 channels and both of them sound great.

Thanks for the info again, you rock.

Bruce

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Myles, I smacked the back of my amp today with my hand a couple times and the hiss went away. WOW, this thing sounds incredible. Groove Tubes smoke the stock stuff Peavey uses. It really brings out everything in the amp. One of the few amps I have heard that has 2 channels and both of them sound great.

Thanks for the info again, you rock.

Bruce

Bruce - you are more than welcome. Sounds like something is loose in there.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles, I took a long look there and they don't seem to offer them as an assembly..guess I will just have to make one ..thanks for the help.

All the parts should be available from many supply places. Check Magic Parts and Mojo. Mouser is a HUGE supplier than may even have it.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Wow Myles! I have checked all those supply houses and I have the latest Mouser catalogue here and so far nobody offers that plug/cable/2-speaker blade clips in an assembly. In fact I dont even see any for Twins or SuperReverb amps anywhere ..I see the spreaders to route the speaker leads to the proper speakers in multiple speaker amps but no complete assembley are available on those amp either. I just looked at my original 1965 Super Reverb and it sure looks like a factory assembley? I can make up this 1X15 assembley from the quarter inch right angled phone plug with the "F" cap, some high quality speaker wire and two blade clips ..but I just thought someone would offer it assembled.

x

Well, I can see that there's a bit of a miscommunication here, and I know how trying to get useful results in a search can be frustrating and confusing.

So, I'm going ahead and digging this up for ya, ellwood.

You'll still have to build these yourself, or else have someone who's a decent solderer do it for you. But these should be about as authentic as you could want (the cap's even brown!).

Here're the parts you'll need, with the exception of the spade-clips. Know anybody who does a lot of automotive sound work? They'll likely be able to help you if you need to crimp instead of solder.

Here they are, from Parts is Parts ; they'll probably have anything else you might need, as well.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif http://www.marshallparts.com/product_pics/696a.jpg

FENDER F CAP

PLASTIC CAP WITH F THAT COVERS SPEAKER PLUG

BROWN PLASTIC SNAP ON CAP. SOON TO BE AVAILABLE IN BLACK.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif http://www.marshallparts.com/product_pics/697a.jpg

FENDER SPEAKER JACK

RIGHT ANGLE 1/4 INCH JACK

VINTAGE STYLE JACK THAT USES THE PLASTIC "F" CAP

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif http://www.marshallparts.com/product_pics/698a.jpg

CLOTH SPEAKER WIRE

18 GUAGE CLOTH COVERED SPEAKER WIRE

COMES IN BLACK OR WHITE. PRICED PER FOOT

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif http://www.marshallparts.com/product_pics/683a.jpg

KNOB Brown Vintage barrell

SET OF 6 BROWN KNOBS FOR SOME 59-63 AMPS

Now, you'd better post some before and after pics, and some sound-clips, too. And I get to plug into it if I'm ever in your neck of the woods, dig? (There'd be a winking-smily here 'cept I posted the limit of pics here already, alright?)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Excellant Caevan!! and thanks so much for doing all the research for me I really appreciate your help in this. I will post sound clips and pics and you can crank the old Pro up anytime you want! Im going to go ahead and order these items tomorrow! I can handle the soldering no problem so this will be as close as I can get to the original. Thanks again man!!!! :thu::D

So, ellwood...

What tubes are goin' into it?

Myles- what specific tubes would you put into a brown ('63?) Fender Pro Amp 1x15 restoration?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

So, ellwood...

What tubes are goin' into it?

Myles- what specific tubes would you put into a brown ('63?) Fender Pro Amp 1x15 restoration?

Tubes are really personal preference but if it were my amp I'd contact Mike at www.kcanostubes.com and try to find a nice matched pair of Tung Sol 5881's. On preamp tubes it is totally personal taste.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I do not remember but this is probably class A/B and fixed bias ala Mesa.

Since it is not a vintage or classic type of amp where you are trying to regain the original tone I would use any good 6L6. The JJ 6L6S in a 5-6 rating or the 6L6R2 (real Svetlana, not the new "sovtek ones") in a 4-6 rating would be my pick.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hello,

I recently got my first tube amp. It was built by a local guy who has a very good reputation for repairing and building tube amps. It is a single ended amp, loosly based on the features of the Univalve. Both octal and noval sockets, switch for the tube type, voltage switch, triode mode switch, two independent chanell with footswitch, switchable effects loop with return level compensation, 2 different mid freq voicings for the gain chanell.

As you can see a lot of features, but since it is a little complex we have some problems. Since the guy is mainly a technician and not a musician I am not sure how to describe them so I will ask your help about how my sound problems will translate into technical suggestions. Most of my problems are related to the gain chanell, wich has medium-high gain, like a raw rectifier.

The amp has JJ ECC83, and JJ EL84 or 6L6.

First of all I think the amp has a bit too much gain in one of the stages. I say this because even if I back up the gain to about 10 o clock the sound is a bit fuzzy and muddy. I believe this could be solved by adding another pot for controling the gain in the second stage. Is this correct?

Second, I feel it isn't tight enough. I play a lot of muted dropped D cords and I feel the bass is more on the fuzzy side than on the tight, agressive one. How could this be improved?

Third, what should the level for the eff send be? Is there a standard about how much V should be at the maximum when the level is cranked?

Thanks in advance for answering my long questions.

Originally posted by dass101:

Hello,

I recently got my first tube amp. It was built by a local guy who has a very good reputation for repairing and building tube amps. It is a single ended amp, loosly based on the features of the Univalve. Both octal and noval sockets, switch for the tube type, voltage switch, triode mode switch, two independent chanell with footswitch, switchable effects loop with return level compensation, 2 different mid freq voicings for the gain chanell.

As you can see a lot of features, but since it is a little complex we have some problems. Since the guy is mainly a technician and not a musician I am not sure how to describe them so I will ask your help about how my sound problems will translate into technical suggestions. Most of my problems are related to the gain chanell, wich has medium-high gain, like a raw rectifier.

The amp has JJ ECC83, and JJ EL84 or 6L6.

First of all I think the amp has a bit too much gain in one of the stages. I say this because even if I back up the gain to about 10 o clock the sound is a bit fuzzy and muddy. I believe this could be solved by adding another pot for controling the gain in the second stage. Is this correct?

Second, I feel it isn't tight enough. I play a lot of muted dropped D cords and I feel the bass is more on the fuzzy side than on the tight, agressive one. How could this be improved?

Third, what should the level for the eff send be? Is there a standard about how much V should be at the maximum when the level is cranked?

Thanks in advance for answering my long questions.

Rather then redesign the amp, remove the ECC83S for a start and try a 5751. If this is a step in the right direction but you want to continue then try a 12AY7.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hi myles, i was redirected to you from my ther thread about my amp that's humming. its a circa '83 JCM 800 (lead series 2205). i've tried to teach it the words (chortle chortle) but it keeps humming.

even when my guitar isn't plugged into it it hums. and i've deduced that its the reverb pot because the amp works perfectly when reverb is turned to "0" and starts to hum as i turn the reverb up and actually made a loud crackly sound at about 3/4.

any suggestions?

thanks

Originally posted by xanda-panda:

hi myles, i was redirected to you from my ther thread about my amp that's humming. its a circa '83 JCM 800 (lead series 2205). i've tried to teach it the words (chortle chortle) but it keeps humming.

even when my guitar isn't plugged into it it hums. and i've deduced that its the reverb pot because the amp works perfectly when reverb is turned to "0" and starts to hum as i turn the reverb up and actually made a loud crackly sound at about 3/4.

any suggestions?

thanks

If it hums everyplace you plug it in, not just in one place as there could be a ground issue there, then it is probably time to replace filter caps.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by xanda-panda:

cheers for your advice but i was having a play with the inside after unscrewing the back and front panels and removed a load of dust as well as blowing really hard down the little holes where wires come out of and it fixed it!

In the end it does not matter "how" you fixed it as much as the success! Congrats!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Yep It's gettin to that time, when I retube my main giggin workhorse a Marshall DSL50 JCM2000 Head, using 2x Svetlana EL34s, what would be a good choice? or should I just replace the Svetlanas? are there some better choices, looking for a little discussion on this..thanks

I think the Svetlanas are really terrific. But some other great tubes are the Siemens EL34 NOS tubes that Mesa has and sells for $70 a duet. They are buried on the Mesa website someplace but they still have them.

KCA has the Svets at $70 here:

http://kcanostubes.com/content/estore_details.asp?product=194

GT has these at http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1706 at $60.00 for the duet.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr