Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

On the svets .... I like them set a bit lower on bias than Marshall spec .... they want 90mA per duet .... I prefer 75-78 or so.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Myles long long time ago I had a non master volume Plexi 50 watt head and loved the warm brown tone. It has been so long now I cannot remember any specifics about the circutry or tube complement. Are the Svets capable of this kind of tone? I always use the clean channel on the DSL50..for classic gain. I do use the 1960A bottom with the greenbacks just like I did back then so the cabinet should be very similar.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Myles long long time ago I had a non master volume Plexi 50 watt head and loved the warm brown tone. It has been so long now I cannot remember any specifics about the circutry or tube complement. Are the Svets capable of this kind of tone? I always use the clean channel on the DSL50..for classic gain. I do use the 1960A bottom with the greenbacks just like I did back then so the cabinet should be very similar.

The four input Marshall and DSL are very different amps. There is much more front end gain in the DSL so the output section is not nearly as touch sensitive or dynamic as the earlier four input Marshall amps. This is why so many players from Jeff Beck to Carl Verheyen stick with the non-master models.

But ... for that gainy front end tone the DSL is a great amp. Teh JCM 2000 / DSL /TSL is not as happy with pedals slamming the front end as the older four imput non-master Marshalls. Then again, it is a different amp for different tastes.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles I have a reissue Vibrolux that when the

reverb is on there is a big time tube rattle

going on,is this a loose tube bad tube or is

this normal for this amp?Sure is anoying

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Darklava:

Myles I have a reissue Vibrolux that when the

reverb is on there is a big time tube rattle

going on,is this a loose tube bad tube or is

this normal for this amp?Sure is anoying

Lava ....

Not normal at all. Probably a microphonic tube.

I see your avatar is somebody that probably knows Jill (my avatar). Another "hot guitarist magazine" girl.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles...

I was repairing the footswitch jack on my Marshal TSL-112 last night and I got to thinking about regular PM routines...

Couldn't come up with any .. but I did ponder the potential benefits of swapping the tubes around regularly.

I'm certain that they won't wear at the same rate and simply assumed rotating them like I do my tires might be helpful.

Watcha think?

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

Hi Myles...

I was repairing the footswitch jack on my Marshal TSL-112 last night and I got to thinking about regular PM routines...

Couldn't come up with any .. but I did ponder the potential benefits of swapping the tubes around regularly.

I'm certain that they won't wear at the same rate and simply assumed rotating them like I do my tires might be helpful.

Watcha think?

There is no need to do this at all.

Output tubes if matched will wear evenly other than the inconsistancies in the tubes themselves.

Preamp tube wear very little and all you would be doing is wearing out sockets.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles... question...

I am experiencing a faint crackle in an amp.

Someone just gave me a used tube amp (what a cool guy!), and I can hear a slight crackle. I've played it once so far, and the crackle appeared after a few minutes of playing, so I assume it's the tubes(?). The volume level of the crackle is audible regardless of the guitar's volume knob position, so I assume it's an amp issue. The crackle is faint, but it kind of sounds like you just put put a needle on a slightly dirty LP record.

It's the Peavey Classic 30 combo. It's the model that does not have "PEAVEY" across the front grill. Possibly a few years old. Likely has not been used much. It's from a studio, non-smoking.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

Hey Myles... question...

Someone just gave me a used tube amp (what a cool guy!), and I can hear a slight crackle. I've played it once so far, and the crackle appeared after a few minutes of playing, so I assume it's the tubes(?). The volume level of the crackle is audible regardless of the guitar's volume knob position, so I assume it's an amp issue. The crackle is faint, but it kind of sounds like you just put put a needle on a slightly dirty LP record.

It's the Peavey Classic 30 combo. It's the model that does not have "PEAVEY" across the front grill. Possibly a few years old. Likely has not been used much. It's from a studio, non-smoking.

Mike

This is almost surely a tube. Try swapping a fresh 12AX7 in V1 then V2 etc.

Preamp tubes are the worst culprit

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles: Help clear something up, perfesser! I had always understood that if you take a tube amp designed to see an 8ohm speaker load, the risk of blowing the amp was greater with, say, a 2 ohm load and that running a 16 ohm load would not hurt the amp, but would reduce power and affect tone.

I've read other places that it precisely the opposite of that (higher ohm load blows the tranny).

I understand that we're talking nominal values here, and that some amps (Fenders?) can handle a wider range of mismatch "up and down."

Your thoughts?

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

You can run into a higher load but not lower. In the higher load you will loose some performance though.

Thus .... amp set for 8 ohms can drive a 16 ohm speaker.

Set for 8 ohms SHOULD NOT try to drive a 4 ohm speaker/cab/load.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

Hey Myles... question...

Mike

This is almost surely a tube. Try swapping a fresh 12AX7 in V1 then V2 etc.

Preamp tubes are the worst culprit

Thanks. Am I remembering correctly that tubes have to be "matched"?

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Preamp tubes do not have to be matched other than in the phase inverter slot where this is not mandatory but is something I prefer.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by rsf1977:

Hey Myles, I just got my hands on a used Mesa 2:100 Stereo power amp can you recommend some good 6L6s for that building crushing Metal/Hardcore tone I need lol

I like the 6L6S's in a #6 rating if they will fit. They can be a bit long. If they will not fit then the 6L6GE also in a #6 rating. This will work great with the fixed Mesa bias.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, I just got my hands on a used Mesa 2:100 Stereo power amp can you recommend some good 6L6s for that building crushing Metal/Hardcore tone I need lol

I like the 6L6S's in a #6 rating if they will fit. They can be a bit long. If they will not fit then the 6L6GE also in a #6 rating. This will work great with the fixed Mesa bias.
Do you think KT66HPs would be a good idea? Would they fit they are pretty wide? Also what band are the "6L6S"

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

You will have to check but I think they are not only too wide but also way too tall.

Ok thanks. Also what brand are the "6L6S" tubes?
The 6L6S is the JJ but make sure you get them well tested and not just tested statically. You really want a #5-6 (six rating preferred) for use in a Mesa amp.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

You will have to check but I think they are not only too wide but also way too tall.

The 6L6S is the JJ but make sure you get them well tested and not just tested statically. You really want a #5-6 (six rating preferred) for use in a Mesa amp.
How about the preamp tubes in the Mesa 2:100 should mess with those?

www.randallflagg.com

quote:

How about the preamp tubes in the Mesa 2:100 should mess with those?

I would use matched phase inverters ....

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1723

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, new problem! haha

The Mesa 2:100 Poweramp is making a really odd noise. It sounds like a really low frequency warble as if a refrigirator made low frequency sound it's just a constant pulse. Basically I power the amp on and within about 20-30secs the sound will kickin. It's completely independent of the volume if it's on or off the sound remains at the same level. I tried swapping all the tubes out in it and it still happens. I tried it with nothing connected to the input and it continued. I tried different electrical outlets and through my voltage regulator and without and it's still there. Any idea what the problem is? I have a "USED" warranty from the guitar center I got it from, but I'd like to know what it might be when I bring it back.

www.randallflagg.com

The Mesa 2:100 Poweramp is making a really odd noise. It sounds like a really low frequency warble as if a refrigirator made low frequency sound it's just a constant pulse. Basically I power the amp on and within about 20-30secs the sound will kickin. It's completely independent of the volume if it's on or off the sound remains at the same level. I tried swapping all the tubes out in it and it still happens. I tried it with nothing connected to the input and it continued. I tried different electrical outlets and through my voltage regulator and without and it's still there. Any idea what the problem is? I have a "USED" warranty from the guitar center I got it from, but I'd like to know what it might be when I bring it back.

This sounds like filter caps to me but it could be a few other things.

Right off the bat have a tech look at the output of the power supply for a lack of filtering.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

This sounds like filter caps to me but it could be a few other things.

Right off the bat have a tech look at the output of the power supply for a lack of filtering.

OK Thanks!

www.randallflagg.com

Originally posted by Tedster:

Good grief...this thread needs to be a sticky.

Just heard from my buddies at OnLine Electronics. Turns out my TSL-122 needs some new tubes.

Recommendations?

What did the amp have in it and did you like them? If not, why not? If you liked some aspects about them which?

Preamp tubes will make more of a change than output tubes and you were probably not planning on replacing these as they don't wear out too fast but this could help dial in things even nicer.

Let me know what you had in there, and what your target is tone wise.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles...thanks for the response. Geez, I'll get in touch with Dale from Online and find out exactly what was in there. I'd imagine it was the stock Marshall TSL-122 tubes...they haven't been changed since I bought it. But I can tell you target tonewise...

I'm not much for "melt your face"...I like a nice bluesy drive, funky spank (with a Strat) and a nice rhythm tone a'la Tom Petty/Mike Campbell. I know, maybe I should sell the Marshall and buy a Fender and a Vox, but, I do like the Marshall.

Stay tuned...

Oh, P.S...thanks for making this a sticky!!! :thu:

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Myles...thanks for the response. Geez, I'll get in touch with Dale from Online and find out exactly what was in there. I'd imagine it was the stock Marshall TSL-122 tubes...they haven't been changed since I bought it. But I can tell you target tonewise...

I'm not much for "melt your face"...I like a nice bluesy drive, funky spank (with a Strat) and a nice rhythm tone a'la Tom Petty/Mike Campbell. I know, maybe I should sell the Marshall and buy a Fender and a Vox, but, I do like the Marshall.

Stay tuned...

Oh, P.S...thanks for making this a sticky!!! :thu:

The Mike Campbell tone is that of a BF Fender or a Vox. Carl Verheyen's (www.carlverheyen.com) rig for these tones with his strats is a 1964 Fender BF Twin reverb AND a Vox AC-30. .... but he also uses two Marshalls for his lead tones so it seems you are half way to a great sounding rig if you want to ever go the hard core route and cover just about any tonal base.

The sticky thing was a good idea from folks as new people at least will see this is here rather than not be able to find it if it ended up a few pages back.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr