Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by myles111:

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

Miles,

Looking for someone to repair a Vox Bulldog speaker. Is there a reconing company that you are aware of?

Bill

Bill ....

Orange County Speaker Repair is one of the best in the business.

www.speakerrepair.com

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Hey Myles

Thanks for the reply on the Gibson Mercury. I also have a Hughes & Kettner Attax 100 that needs a schematic. The tech friend who has had it for 2 years can't find one, and I couldn't navigate the website myself. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Reif

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Hey Myles

Thanks for the reply on the Gibson Mercury. I also have a Hughes & Kettner Attax 100 that needs a schematic. The tech friend who has had it for 2 years can't find one, and I couldn't navigate the website myself. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Reif

Reif,

I have no H&K prints. You should try contacting them directly.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Where can I buy the 6V6S duets on-line, with the capability to select the hardness, Myles?

I dont find the 6V6S at any of the major on-line stores. With the other Groove Tubes on-line, often you don't get an option to select hardness.

At one time Audio Excellence privided this capability on-line, but they are apparently in a different business now.

Thanks!

Mike

Originally posted by el biciclista:

Where can I buy the 6V6S duets on-line, with the capability to select the hardness, Myles?

I dont find the 6V6S at any of the major on-line stores. With the other Groove Tubes on-line, often you don't get an option to select hardness.

At one time Audio Excellence privided this capability on-line, but they are apparently in a different business now.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike,

With any of the online ordering from any tube place they should have a comments section as GT does ... in that area I just tell folks to say something to specify, such as "number 6 only please" even at sites like the GT site with their pull down menus.

We have the 6V6S but it is not on the website. If you want any of those any GT dealer can order them for you and receive stock immediately.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by GtrWiz:

quote:

Originally posted by GtrWiz:

Thanks,

BTW I checked out the your site, lots of great info there, but where should I start?

Also, which of the amp techs on your links page would be good for Fender amps, specifically a '67 bassman, and late 60's princeton? Lookin' to possibly hot rod these suckers.

Chris
Chris,

All of the techs on my tech page could deal with any Fender amp in their sleep.

I would NEVER touch these amps though ... they are great stock. If you want something hotter buy a hotter amp.
Maybe hot rod wasn't the right term... I know the Princeton needs some love, it sounds good at low volumes, but cranked it's a bit flat. Sweet tremolo though.

I just picked up the bassman today on ebay, recovered with a fine black carpet. I haven't heard it yet, but I've heard of some mods that can be done to combine the two channels for more tonal options. Maybe I'll just have it tuned up first... [/QB]

Get the amps working at their best and then decide. [/QB]

I just got my Bassman back from Steve Dikun, sounds great! thanks. Do you know anyone that re-covers amps? Some fool re-covered mine with black carpet...

www.myspace.com/christondre

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Hey Myles

Thanks

Reif

Reif,

I have no H&K prints. You should try contacting them directly.

Yeah, I'm thinkin' the same thing - thanks.

Reif

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

Myles,

V3, the reverb driver in my 135 Watt SF twin is always waaaay hotter than any other tube in the amp. It's always the first to die, too.

Is this typical?

Peace,

Paul

Paul,

The 12AT7 in the reverb driver runs very hot as it puts out about 10mA per side as opposed to 1.2mA of a 12AX7. If you want a good reliable one go with a JJ 12AT7.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I have a Behringer V-ampire LX1-112 which has one internal speaker that provides 60 watts of power but supposedly is extendable to 120 watts via the hooking up of another speaker in one of the dedicated back inputs (great modeling amp by the way). My question is, where would I go to get a 50 watt speaker that I could hook up via a 1/4 cable?! How does that whole thing work? I have various small car and home audio speakers lying around; could I use those? I'd really like to get the 120 watss out of the thing so if you know anything about how this works...

Originally posted by Starcaster:

I have a Behringer V-ampire LX1-112 which has one internal speaker that provides 60 watts of power but supposedly is extendable to 120 watts via the hooking up of another speaker in one of the dedicated back inputs (great modeling amp by the way). My question is, where would I go to get a 50 watt speaker that I could hook up via a 1/4 cable?! How does that whole thing work? I have various small car and home audio speakers lying around; could I use those? I'd really like to get the 120 watss out of the thing so if you know anything about how this works...

I am not sure what you are asking here.

Speaker cabs generally have 1/4" speaker input jacks. DO NOT USE instrument cable. Speaker cable is different.

Raw speakers have terminals that the wire is soldered to, or accept press on fitting, or have different types of terminals. If this was a raw speaker you would need to connect these terminals to a 1/4" connector or jack.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by rsf1977:

hey myles, i was wondering what your take was on boost pedals with dual rectifiers. Why do people use them and what does it do to the sound?

I do not care for them much as the recto already has so much front end gain it can get overly compressed and inarticulate even without a pedal at the higher gain settings on the higher gain channels.

One pedal that does work nicely is the Zendrive by www.hermidaaudio.com

In the current January issue of Guitar Player they had a pedal shootout and stated it was the smoothest pedal of all tested.

You can get good distortion tones with this pedal even with the level set lower as to not overdrive the amp's front end as quickly as with other overdrive or distortion pedals.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

thanks myles very helpful as always

hey myles, i was wondering what your take was on boost pedals with dual rectifiers. Why do people use them and what does it do to the sound?

I do not care for them much as the recto already has so much front end gain it can get overly compressed and inarticulate even without a pedal at the higher gain settings on the higher gain channels.

In the current January issue of Guitar Player they had a pedal shootout and stated it was the smoothest pedal of all tested.

You can get good distortion tones with this pedal even with the level set lower as to not overdrive the amp's front end as quickly as with other overdrive or distortion pedals.

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

thanks myles very helpful as always

rsf ....

You are quite welcome.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, I am blessed in that a Dr. of Electronic Engineering will be offering an intensive overview of Basic Electronic Theory at a college. He is a friend of mine and said that he would burn the 300 slides he has onto CD.

The thing is, as an electric guitarist, where do I start as far as easy, baby step, applications go?

What projects should I take on at the onset to put some legs to the theory?

Originally posted by Caputo:

Myles, I am blessed in that a Dr. of Electronic Engineering will be offering an intensive overview of Basic Electronic Theory at a college. He is a friend of mine and said that he would burn the 300 slides he has onto CD.

The thing is, as an electric guitarist, where do I start as far as easy, baby step, applications go?

What projects should I take on at the onset to put some legs to the theory?

Start by downloading the two part 200+ page tube primer off my GAB website for the tube stuff but it helps to start with basic ohms law and electronic therory.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hey Myles, how do KT88 power tubes compare to KT66HPs sonically? I was thinking of buying A VHT 2/90/2 that's loaded with KT88s

Comparing the two is like comparing blue and red. They are very different.

The KT88SV is a 50 watt tube, much stronger and more of a hi-fi tube.

It will put out 2x the power if the amp's power supply is up to it and requires a much different bias setting.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hey Myles, how do KT88 power tubes compare to KT66HPs sonically? I was thinking of buying A VHT 2/90/2 that's loaded with KT88s

It will put out 2x the power if the amp's power supply is up to it and requires a much different bias setting.

maybe i picked the wrong word I'm basically trying to figure out what they sound like in a guitar context like a KT88 has a deeper tighter bass response then a KT66, something like that? I plan on using the VHT power amp for death metal type tones (high gain and scooped)

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

Hey,

I have owned my Hughes & Kettner Puretone 25w for several weeks now. Considering I purcahsed the amp used, I don't the life of the tubes. I'm getting them replaced, as I can hear the symptoms of worn tubes.

Here is my dilema- the certified H&K amp technician is a 2 1/2 hour drive. Their expected turnaround is three weeks. They recommend Tube Amp Doctor / EL34B - STR and 12AX7A preamps. Considering the wait time, I am considering looking elsewhere.

Bob at Eurotubes recomended a matched pair of JJ EL84's and two ECC83S's (one balanced for the Phase splitter). I don't feel comfortable making the change myself, and don't have a local amp tech that I trust.

I opened the phone book and made a ton of calls. Through my research, I came back to a tech within a hour drive. He came with several referrals. I spoke with the guy, and he seemed fairly knowledgeable. He was surprised that the amp was only 25w, and didn't take EL84's. After some conversation, he recomended Svetlana EL34's. His wait time is 1 week (or 10 days with the holiday).

I love the stock H&K Puretone sound, and want to maintain or improve upon it. Most of all, I love the clearness, bottom end, and "swirl". Maybe that is a Vox "shimmery" sound with more thickness / bass. What is your recomended course of action? Myles, I've read through your guide and the JJ's seem OK, and Svetlana seem to fair well. I haven't read a review on the EL34B - STR, but would be more than happy to keep the stock sound.

KT88's in your amp would give a lot of clean headroom. They are favored over 6550s as they have a nice distortion rather than a raspy one of the 6550 and they transition to distortion is smooter in the 88 than the 6550. In either of these cases, folks that like tubes like the 6550 are folks that get their tone from pedals and effects and want the amp to be as clean and colorless as possible. Zakk Wydle uses 6550s in his Marshalls as an example. Deep Purple used Marshall Major 200 watt amps with KT88s.

The KT66HP is really in the 6L6 family but with more mids, mid-lows, and low end.

Very different tubes.

maybe i picked the wrong word I'm basically trying to figure out what they sound like in a guitar context like a KT88 has a deeper tighter bass response then a KT66, something like that? I plan on using the VHT power amp for death metal type tones (high gain and scooped)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by janalon:

Hey,

I have owned my Hughes & Kettner Puretone 25w for several weeks now. Considering I purcahsed the amp used, I don't the life of the tubes. I'm getting them replaced, as I can hear the symptoms of worn tubes.

Here is my dilema- the certified H&K amp technician is a 2 1/2 hour drive. Their expected turnaround is three weeks. They recommend Tube Amp Doctor / EL34B - STR and 12AX7A preamps. Considering the wait time, I am considering looking elsewhere.

Bob at Eurotubes recomended a matched pair of JJ EL84's and two ECC83S's (one balanced for the Phase splitter). I don't feel comfortable making the change myself, and don't have a local amp tech that I trust.

I opened the phone book and made a ton of calls. Through my research, I came back to a tech within a hour drive. He came with several referrals. I spoke with the guy, and he seemed fairly knowledgeable. He was surprised that the amp was only 25w, and didn't take EL84's. After some conversation, he recomended Svetlana EL34's. His wait time is 1 week (or 10 days with the holiday).

I love the stock H&K Puretone sound, and want to maintain or improve upon it. Most of all, I love the clearness, bottom end, and "swirl". Maybe that is a Vox "shimmery" sound with more thickness / bass. What is your recomended course of action? Myles, I've read through your guide and the JJ's seem OK, and Svetlana seem to fair well. I haven't read a review on the EL34B - STR, but would be more than happy to keep the stock sound.

The Ruby EL34B-STR is a great tube and the "real" Svetlana (wing C logo) is another great one. You cannot go wrong in either case but in the end it would be user preference.

I prefer each of the above over the JJ tube in this particular amp. The JJ is a "harder" tube that either of these other two.

The Svet is very close to the original Siemens and Mullard XF4 EL-34 tubes.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

rsf1977- if I can butt in here-

I think it's a safe bet that a good set of KT88's will serve you very well in your stated mission; and it's an even safer bet that they'd serve you even better towards that end than a set of KT66's would, all other factors remaining the same.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by O'Shite Christmas:

rsf1977- if I can butt in here-

I think it's a safe bet that a good set of KT88's will serve you very well in your stated mission; and it's an even safer bet that they'd serve you even better towards that end than a set of KT66's would, all other factors remaining the same.

I have to butt in to your butt in ....

I think you are right on the money for his application as a heavier style player. Get a cool pedal board rig and go to town!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr