Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by janalon:

Hey,

Any noticible differences in characteristics between the Ruby EL34B-STR and the "real" Svetlana: tone, breakup, volume dynamics, etc.? Or is it mainly choosing a brand at that point?

These sound quite different and it will boil down to personal taste.

They are both great tubes but the Svet is smoother and will last about 20% longer in the end. The Svet has the great tone of the old original Siemens EL34 which was a great tube.

Make sure the Svetlana is a "real one" though ... it needs to have a Winged C logo on the tube. From a place like GT this tube is noted as the GT-EL34R2 which is a real Svet rather than a Sovtek SED "Svetlana". The Sovtek Svetlanas are produced in Moscow and the original ones are produced in the Svetlana plant in St. Petersburg.

There is info on the GT site in the power tubes links here:

http://www.groovetubes.com/tubes_list.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=108

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by Caputo:

Myles, that trio preamp at GT looks like an awfully tempting

apple

I heard(could be wrong) that Trey Anastasio had a GT Preamp rig.

Is this the stock one?

Also, would you say that this Preamp is more smooth or more punchy?

The Trio has been around for a long time and has been used by folks as far back as Jerry Garcia. It was out of production for a while but people kept asking for it to come back and it was brought back this year in a chrome panel 25th anniversary edition that is a limited production model.

You can dial them in for just about anything, smooth or punchy as you phrase it. They have three very distinctive channels.

I had a run of 35 of these made up for a number of friends and clients. They normally sell of $999 but since you are in this forum I can discount a bit and build you a custom link if you want to purchase one direct from the GT website.

Just let me know via email at techsupport@groovetubes.com

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Okay, I was reading the manual, and it seems that you can footswitch between 1-3 no prob but not for the 13th floor.

But it seems that w/the MIDI mod in concert w/the pedal, you can then combine any one of the three.

Is that right/wrong ?

AND/OR

adequate/ incomplete?

Also, what power amps work bes w/this pre-amp?

I would like to be able to switch power from 50 to 25 or 40/20

I have a Mos Valve 80/80 from my rack daze, but it just seems too "nice" and "clean". I would like to get some good low wattage overdrive ala Route 66/Maz or be able to go to 50W Plexi or 40W Super reverb volumes.

Originally posted by Caputo:

Okay, I was reading the manual, and it seems that you can footswitch between 1-3 no prob but not for the 13th floor.

But it seems that w/the MIDI mod in concert w/the pedal, you can then combine any one of the three.

Is that right/wrong ?

AND/OR

adequate/ incomplete?

Also, what power amps work bes w/this pre-amp?

I would like to be able to switch power from 50 to 25 or 40/20

I have a Mos Valve 80/80 from my rack daze, but it just seems too "nice" and "clean". I would like to get some good low wattage overdrive ala Route 66/Maz or be able to go to 50W Plexi or 40W Super reverb volumes.

The Trio footswitch allows one to select 1,2,3.

The MIDI option allows these functions to be controlled via MIDI signals and offers no additional selection aspects.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Miles, I have a question from a discussion on another forum. It appears a fella has an electronic organ from the early 70's and wants to unhook the speakers from the amp. He still wants to use the 1/4 output. He was wondering if the amp can be damaged if the speakers were removed and the wires capped, but the amp left connected. Would the amp be damaged?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Hei Miles! Recently I've had some problems with my Ibanez RG350EX and I was hopping you would give me some advice. The problems is that all of a sudden strange clicking noises appeared while the bridge pickup is switched on and increased background noises appeared on the middle pickup, though all other positions are OK. What could that be and is that too serious?

Originally posted by Bbach of Bismarck:

Miles, I have a question from a discussion on another forum. It appears a fella has an electronic organ from the early 70's and wants to unhook the speakers from the amp. He still wants to use the 1/4 output. He was wondering if the amp can be damaged if the speakers were removed and the wires capped, but the amp left connected. Would the amp be damaged?

If the amp is powered up it needs to be connected to a speaker load or the output transformer will be damaged.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by hipijssss:

Hei Miles! Recently I've had some problems with my Ibanez RG350EX and I was hopping you would give me some advice. The problems is that all of a sudden strange clicking noises appeared while the bridge pickup is switched on and increased background noises appeared on the middle pickup, though all other positions are OK. What could that be and is that too serious?

Does this happen at different locations? It sounds like a grounding issue.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

If the amp is powered up it needs to be connected to a speaker load or the output transformer will be damaged.
Thank you Miles. I'm going to have to dig up some study material because I don't really see why that happens. If a signal path is not completed (via speakers) why would it cause damage? I can pull a light fixture from my house and cap the wires and not cause any problems at all. I see power as an electrical signal. No speakers = no signal = no problem.

This has me intrigued. I'm going to have to do some reading. I used to run an electronic store and we ran amplifiers all the time without speakers and used the headphone outs. Is it because they were solid state that there was no problem? Well, whatever, in the meantime, I'd better keep speakers connected.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Thank you Miles. I'm going to have to dig up some study material because I don't really see why that happens. If a signal path is not completed (via speakers) why would it cause damage? I can pull a light fixture from my house and cap the wires and not cause any problems at all. I see power as an electrical signal. No speakers = no signal = no problem.

This has me intrigued. I'm going to have to do some reading. I used to run an electronic store and we ran amplifiers all the time without speakers and used the headphone outs. Is it because they were solid state that there was no problem? Well, whatever, in the meantime, I'd better keep speakers connected.

Keep the speakers connected. It is NOT the same as a light bulb. We are talking DC here, not AC, and once you take the amp out of standby or have B+ on the plates of the output tubes they are running whether there is input signal or not. They need a load and the load is the output transformer in a balance WITH the speaker. No speaker No balance - blown output transformer (maybe the most costly component in the amp).

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Keep the speakers connected. It is NOT the same as a light bulb. We are talking DC here, not AC, and once you take the amp out of standby or have B+ on the plates of the output tubes they are running whether there is input signal or not. They need a load and the load is the output transformer in a balance WITH the speaker. No speaker No balance - blown output transformer (maybe the most costly component in the amp).

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles,

I have a Mark III Boogie, circa mid to late 80's. It runs just fine, but I was wondering when I ought to consider getting the caps replaced. How long before they get dried out enough to start causing me problems?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Picker:

Hey Myles,

I have a Mark III Boogie, circa mid to late 80's. It runs just fine, but I was wondering when I ought to consider getting the caps replaced. How long before they get dried out enough to start causing me problems?

Filter caps are killed mostly by lack of use with age. I have seen amps run decades with the original caps if the amp has been kept in use. Amps that have sat in a closet for a few years not turned on at all can have problems much more often.

As long as the amp does not have a hum or ghost notes you are fine.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Myles,

This summer, I will fly to Europe to play 2 small concerts.

I have to carry my equipment with me (amp and effects) and I was wondering what do I have to do in order to have my rig match the European voltage?

Is there a special power conditioner I'll have to buy?

I already do have a Furman PL8 but it runs on regular 110.

Thank you in advance.

Martin

www.martinlarose.com

hey myles,

I'm new here and I wanted to drop a line and say hello.

You will be hearing quite a bit of me.

First id like to know if your knowledge on technical matters such as amplifiers are as good as your recording knowledge. I have quite a few questions concerning guitar tones and most popular types of combination of mics(seeing as how there is no best) to record amplifiers in clean and distortion, I only use direct in if I have to.

Dallas

Originally posted by Lynksys:

Hello Myles,

This summer, I will fly to Europe to play 2 small concerts.

I have to carry my equipment with me (amp and effects) and I was wondering what do I have to do in order to have my rig match the European voltage?

Is there a special power conditioner I'll have to buy?

I already do have a Furman PL8 but it runs on regular 110.

Thank you in advance.

Martin

www.martinlarose.com

You can buy common step up and step down transformers with adaptors at many electronics stores or find them on ebay. Make sure the capacity is sufficient for the amp.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Connally:

hey myles,

First id like to know if your knowledge on technical matters such as amplifiers are as good as your recording knowledge. I have quite a few questions concerning guitar tones and most popular types of combination of mics(seeing as how there is no best) to record amplifiers in clean and distortion, I only use direct in if I have to.

Dallas

Dallas,

It seems that you have not seen by website. My technical areas are stronger than my recording areas.

Look there first as it may answer many questions.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hey Myles,

I live in Canada and am thinking of buying a Bogner Amp. Trouble is I have to travel far to try one out and the guys are kind of asses. Now, I play modern rock/punk/pop/alternative music, and wondered; based on your experience, which would be better: the Ecstacy or Uberschall?

Thank you.

myspace.com/socialcode

ENGL Powerball vs. Fireball?

Hey Myles I was considering one of these amps. I was wondering if you could push me in one direction or another. I don't need channel switching options I just want the best sounding high gain channel I can get out of the 2 basically really saturated high gain rythym any opinions. I've heard people say the 2 amps sound the same and I've heard people say they sound different?

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

Originally posted by SoCoMo:

hey Myles,

I live in Canada and am thinking of buying a Bogner Amp. Trouble is I have to travel far to try one out and the guys are kind of asses. Now, I play modern rock/punk/pop/alternative music, and wondered; based on your experience, which would be better: the Ecstacy or Uberschall?

Thank you.

You are asking me what is better ... blue or green. This is really personal taste and preference, what pedals you use if any, what guitar, etc.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by rsf1977:

ENGL Powerball vs. Fireball?

Hey Myles I was considering one of these amps. I was wondering if you could push me in one direction or another. I don't need channel switching options I just want the best sounding high gain channel I can get out of the 2 basically really saturated high gain rythym any opinions. I've heard people say the 2 amps sound the same and I've heard people say they sound different?

I have not a/b'd the amps side by side so I do not know.

Sorry.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Connally:

hey myles,

Dallas

Dallas,

It seems that you have not seen by website. My technical areas are stronger than my recording areas.

Look there first as it may answer many questions.

im very sorry, i worded that completely wrong. =)

Hi Myles,

I have an Epiphone Galaxie 10 amp that sounds pretty good but I can only describe it as a little "brittle". The highs are a little too sharp in my view.

I'm told that replacing the Sovtek 12AX7 and 6L6 tubes can yield better creamier sound than the stock tubes. Can you recommend a good set of tubes as replacements?

Thanks

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Hi Myles,

I have an Epiphone Galaxie 10 amp that sounds pretty good but I can only describe it as a little "brittle". The highs are a little too sharp in my view.

I'm told that replacing the Sovtek 12AX7 and 6L6 tubes can yield better creamier sound than the stock tubes. Can you recommend a good set of tubes as replacements?

Thanks

Loose the Sovtek 12AX7WA (if that is what is what is in V1) and replace with a 12AX7M or 12AX7R2.

The output tubes will have less impact than that much less pricy output section and you will not need to adjust anything.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hey myles, i'm on the verge of buying an ENGL Powerball. Is that a fixed bias amp i can't find much tech info on it? Also what tubes would you recommend? I love the KT66HPs in my dual recto would they make a good choice for the Powerball?

The ENGL can have it's bias adjusted and the HPs are great in this amp biased at 30mA.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hey myles, i'm on the verge of buying an ENGL Powerball. Is that a fixed bias amp i can't find much tech info on it? Also what tubes would you recommend? I love the KT66HPs in my dual recto would they make a good choice for the Powerball?

The ENGL can have it's bias adjusted and the HPs are great in this amp biased at 30mA.
quick question I've never owned a non fixed bias amp. So when I order tubes do I ask for tubes rated at 30Ma?

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

quick question I've never owned a non fixed bias amp. So when I order tubes do I ask for tubes rated at 30Ma?
No .... your order you tubes and then bias the amp with those tubes and a bias tool. There are a number of these around ... I use GT's which is found at http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1191

There are also units made by Weber and others. I like the GT unit as it is small and compact and fits in my toolbox. I already have a few meters so I prefer one that does not have the meter built into the tool. They are less pricy and if the meter fails you are not dead in the water with a meter equipped tool with a dedicated meter. But, the ones with the built in meters are really cool too and have their own fans.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr