Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

Grrr, it must be Rocket Surgery after all!!!!!

I followed the GT Bias Manual to the letter, and the main fuse blew upon powering up the amp.

I guess I'm in over my head for now.

Suggestions????

What tubes were in the amp?

What amp?

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by myles111:

What amp?

4 Boogie 6L6 GC, (STR 420) in a 135 W Twin Reverb. I wanted to see where the bias was on these tubes before I tried my new GT tubes.

I tried the Bias tool first in tube # 2 (counting from the left) and got no reading on my meter. So I powered down, and tried power tube #3 (from the left), and powered back up. That's when the fuse blew.

Question: Can you set the bias on power tubes without the PI tube?

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

A question for Myles: Is the Z-best cabinet at $750 that much better, or worth the extra money, from, say an avatar $299 2x12 with the same speakers? I'd love to hear your take on that. I have a Maz-38 1x12 and wanted to get an extension cab for when I go out and play. If it makes that big a difference then I can get the z-best cab.

What amp?

4 Boogie 6L6 GC, (STR 420) in a 135 W Twin Reverb. I wanted to see where the bias was on these tubes before I tried my new GT tubes.

I tried the Bias tool first in tube # 2 (counting from the left) and got no reading on my meter. So I powered down, and tried power tube #3 (from the left), and powered back up. That's when the fuse blew.

Question: Can you set the bias on power tubes without the PI tube?

You cannot have the PI removed.

Make sure your meter is set to mV and NOT mA or amps.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by samuelson:

A question for Myles: Is the Z-best cabinet at $750 that much better, or worth the extra money, from, say an avatar $299 2x12 with the same speakers? I'd love to hear your take on that. I have a Maz-38 1x12 and wanted to get an extension cab for when I go out and play. If it makes that big a difference then I can get the z-best cab.

They are different cabs ... the porting on the Z-best is really a different breed. materials and construction is much different too. The Avatar is a good cab but you cannot expect a $299 cab to be built out of high end baltic birch or great woods or plys and particle board is not to be a surprise.

But .... the bottom line is ... if you like how the cab sounds and don't expect too much of it in a hard tour situation then it could be a great purchase.

Another great 2x12 (but in the same price range as a Z-Best) is the THD 2x12.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

You cannot have the PI removed.

Make sure your meter is set to mV and NOT mA or amps.

Acknowledged. I will replace the fuse today and make attempt #2. The meter was set to DC volts.
If it makes ya feel any better, I did that once, too, Paul...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey Miles, I have a Fuchs OD100 head, presently I have Gt12ax7M in V1 and V2, and 12ax7M-MPI and A JJ 12ax7 in reverb/ effects buffer. Svetlana 6L6GC at 35mv.parallel effects loop with rocktron replifex. JBL K 120 in single 12 Mesa Cab.Ibanez AS200/335 Going for Robben Ford/Carlton sound. Any improvments you could recommend on this set up?
Frank C.

Ok,

All is well in Twin Reverb Land. I dunno what I did, but the new fuse didn't blow. My best guess is that the tube was not fully seated into the bias tool, and/or the bias tool was not fully seated into the tube socket, and then something happened to blow the fuse.

Anyway, I'm now biased at 30 - 31 mA. The four tubes are waaay closer than the four "matched" Boogie Tubes, and the Matched PI tube makes a dramatic difference. This is probably partly true because the existing PI tube was not matched. I'm sure there are PI tubes out there that happen to be matched more by accident than design. My existing PI tube must've been on the mis-match side of the coin.

The low number GT 6L6R tubes, (they are #3 on the GT 1 -10 scale) are the best sounding tubes I've put in the amp, and they distort at a loud, but livable volume.

It's like I have a brand new amp. And at the cost of tubes, I cold've bought one. :-)

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Originally posted by Frank C:

Hey Miles, I have a Fuchs OD100 head, presently I have Gt12ax7M in V1 and V2, and 12ax7M-MPI and A JJ 12ax7 in reverb/ effects buffer. Svetlana 6L6GC at 35mv.parallel effects loop with rocktron replifex. JBL K 120 in single 12 Mesa Cab.Ibanez AS200/335 Going for Robben Ford/Carlton sound. Any improvments you could recommend on this set up?

Frank,

I'd need to listen to you play with the rig for a start.

There are players that can make a Twin Reverb sound like Ford in some ways and this is mostly technique.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Ok,

All is well in Twin Reverb Land. I dunno what I did, but the new fuse didn't blow. My best guess is that the tube was not fully seated into the bias tool, and/or the bias tool was not fully seated into the tube socket, and then something happened to blow the fuse.

Anyway, I'm now biased at 30 - 31 mA. The four tubes are waaay closer than the four "matched" Boogie Tubes, and the Matched PI tube makes a dramatic difference. This is probably partly true because the existing PI tube was not matched. I'm sure there are PI tubes out there that happen to be matched more by accident than design. My existing PI tube must've been on the mis-match side of the coin.

The low number GT 6L6R tubes, (they are #3 on the GT 1 -10 scale) are the best sounding tubes I've put in the amp, and they distort at a loud, but livable volume.

It's like I have a brand new amp. And at the cost of tubes, I cold've bought one. :-)

Happy playing ... your bias is at the perfect number.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Myles, what are the best tubes to put in a JCM 800 50 watt combo? Up here we get a whack of opinions on what to use. What's your call?

Thanks,

Reif

Reif,

This is like asking which is best ... chocolate or vanilla?

It is really personal taste.

I prefer E34LS in a #6 rating biased at 38mA or so and then either 12AX7M's in the front end or ECC83S in the front end depending on what I am looking for.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by durguitar:

Myles,

When you say, "12AX7M's...or ECC83s...depending...." to the question about tubes for the 50 watt Marshall combo, which does what? And what is the flavor of the E34LS?

dur

The E34LS is the only 30 watt EL-34.

Billy Gibbons, Joe Walsh, Steve Stevens, Joe Perry, Slayer.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by ChristianTGolden:

I have a Blonde Fender Blues Jr. I would really like to mod it so that the reverb is footswitchable. Is this possible?

This could be done with the addition of a relay but finding space on the curcuit board may be a bit difficult and the bench charges for a good tech might be as much as the amp costed.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles I just put some Ruby 6L6 tubes in my Bivalve and I have been in a good mood ever since. It sounds better than it did with the EL 34's. My buddy is now recommending KT77's.

I was just commenting and curious what are the best KT88's and KT77's in your opinion?

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Sorry, Myles - I meant to ask which brand you liked best, in terms of reliability, performance, and sound.

Also are EL34s from Mesa Boogie a good tube?

Thanks,

Reif

The Mesa's are fine but they are 25 watt tubes. I use the GT-E34LS in a #6 rating.

They are on this page:

http://www.groovetubes.com/tubes_list.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=108

If you order online, in the comment section put in a note asking for #6 rating only as per Myles. They will show me the order and I will hand trace a set.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Hey Myles I just put some Ruby 6L6 tubes in my Bivalve and I have been in a good mood ever since. It sounds better than it did with the EL 34's. My buddy is now recommending KT77's.

I was just commenting and curious what are the best KT88's and KT77's in your opinion?

The best KT-77s are NOS and these are 30+ watt tubes in NOS versions. The new JJ is a great tube but a 25 watt version.

On KT88 - I prefer these as they have heat sink wings on the plates are are a 50 watt tube rather than 42 watts:

http://www.groovetubes.com/groovetubes/images/KT88SV.jpg

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1700

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hi myles,

i use a old musicman 112 amp for smaller gigs.

the gain channel has very "creamy" distortion.

on some gigs i don't want to use my stompboxes, can you recommend a change of tubes to give the gain channel more bite.

in the amp now is 2- ruby6L6 & 1- GT12AX7A

thanks

Hey Myles I was curious. DO you think it is possible to emulate the first VH 1 sound with a Bivalve? I think it is, but some other guy is arguing saying it won't be possible.

I know it doesn't matter, I don't play any Van Halen in my band. It is just the childhood fantasy of playing Unchained and having it exact! With the 6L6 it sounds identical if I crank the volume. The El34 sounded a little to fuzzed.

Originally posted by evgdboy:

hi myles,

i use a old musicman 112 amp for smaller gigs.

the gain channel has very "creamy" distortion.

on some gigs i don't want to use my stompboxes, can you recommend a change of tubes to give the gain channel more bite.

in the amp now is 2- ruby6L6 & 1- GT12AX7A

thanks

A SAG selected ECC83S with a number of 175 or higher on both sides:

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1773

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Hey Myles I was curious. DO you think it is possible to emulate the first VH 1 sound with a Bivalve? I think it is, but some other guy is arguing saying it won't be possible.

I know it doesn't matter, I don't play any Van Halen in my band. It is just the childhood fantasy of playing Unchained and having it exact! With the 6L6 it sounds identical if I crank the volume. The El34 sounded a little to fuzzed.

The guy that says it's not possible is right on the money.

The Marshall uses multi stage gain and a cathode follower tone stack (gets brighter as you push your attack) and is very different than the BV in more ways than just those two ways which are major in themselves.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hmmn, well it shows you what I know. I can play some stuff like Eddie I think, or I have been told. Maybe thats why it sounds like that to me.

SO the Marshall would sound bigger than the Bivalve? What about todays DSL and TSL Marshalls? My Bivalve seems to have better low end and cuts more. Damnit, I wish I could come over and check out your amps and hear a bunch of talk that is way over my head.

The Marshall is different than the BiValve.

Much different.

The DSL and TSL amps are very complex and have a different character than the non-switcher Marshalls.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

The other day, you responded to Reif about tubes for a Marshall 800 with the suggestion of EL34LS as they put out 30watts.

I have a Marshall JCM 800 4104 50 watt combo and the sucker is louder than I will ever need, so I am not inclined to go with a more powerful tube, unless it just sounded too good and there was a way to cut my output. Is pulling out one power tube an option? Or is a hotplate or airbrake, the only way. Money, as always, is an issue.

I am after the 60's- 70's era rock(Hendrix, Mayall era Clapton, Jeff Beck) and blues sound- no shred tones. I play a strat clone. I would be happy to bag my peddles if I could drive my output well enough to get a sweet gain, but I want to have some clean headroom in a small to mid-size club room. Is there another tube configuration that you would suggest? Am I dreaming? I have been on your GAB site which is great, but the information is almost overwhelming. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Darren

knowledge is power, but ignorance is bliss