Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by rsf1977:

Originally posted by myles111:

hey myles, I'm about to retube my new ENGL Fireball to do some experimenting with the sound. Any tube suggestions. Any I'm looking for crushing metal tones only... as always lol

It is basically a matter of personal taste.
I guess I'll know what I want tonally different as I play with it, but are there any popular tube setups with it that you know of? Also do I need to re-bias it with every power tube change or can I just get tubes in a certain rating like my dual recto
You need to rebias with tube changes unless they are the same tubes and the same rating and the amp was biased for that type and rating.

What tubes are in there now, front end and back end, so I can try to dial you in?

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

it's actually in the mail as we speak. I was just trying to get a jump on all the questions I'm going to have :)

But as far as re-biasing goes is that something easy I can do myself or do i need a tech?

You can rebias yourself with this:

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1191

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

I was told that this would be a good post to ask Myles about. I have owned a b-52 AT 100 2x12 combo for a couple of weeks and I have recently noticed a strange deal. On any string, C notes seem to have an odd hmmm, a kind of raspy? sound almost like interference that lasts even shortly after the note fades, kind of staticky. Sounds pretty bad but it stops when I mute the string. I can only get it to make that noise predominant on that note, its not apparent at any other. It increases proportionate to volume and seems louder and over the top of the actual note and happens on any channel or rectifier setting. Comes in right after the note and lasts longer than the note sustains, weirdness.It was a floor model, I dont know if that has anything to do with it being possibly abused. This is my first tube amp and I love it aside from this problem. I could just take it back but its like 100 miles one way to GC. Its within 30 days and on top of that I have like 7 years of extended warranty that I bought hoping this would be the only amp I would ever need. Could it possibly be a power problem in my house that I wouldnt be able to tell from any other device in my house? Any way to test for that, meter etc? I did have a solid state amp before here and I never noticed a problem with it. I live remotely and its tough to get any of my buddies to come around and observe it with me and I dont know if they know much about tubes either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Tried it with a LP studio and a Jackson, same prob and 2 different cables, same stuff.

Originally posted by rockitsauce:

I was told that this would be a good post to ask Myles about. I have owned a b-52 AT 100 2x12 combo for a couple of weeks and I have recently noticed a strange deal. On any string, C notes seem to have an odd hmmm, a kind of raspy? sound almost like interference that lasts even shortly after the note fades, kind of staticky. Sounds pretty bad but it stops when I mute the string. I can only get it to make that noise predominant on that note, its not apparent at any other. It increases proportionate to volume and seems louder and over the top of the actual note and happens on any channel or rectifier setting. Comes in right after the note and lasts longer than the note sustains, weirdness.It was a floor model, I dont know if that has anything to do with it being possibly abused. This is my first tube amp and I love it aside from this problem. I could just take it back but its like 100 miles one way to GC. Its within 30 days and on top of that I have like 7 years of extended warranty that I bought hoping this would be the only amp I would ever need. Could it possibly be a power problem in my house that I wouldnt be able to tell from any other device in my house? Any way to test for that, meter etc? I did have a solid state amp before here and I never noticed a problem with it. I live remotely and its tough to get any of my buddies to come around and observe it with me and I dont know if they know much about tubes either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Tried it with a LP studio and a Jackson, same prob and 2 different cables, same stuff.

It almost sounds like bad filter caps, an etch may have broken where the filter caps are connected.

I would check the bias and the output tubes as a mismatched output section can do this too.

Power in your house would cause havoc with a TV long before the amp.

It sounds like ghost notes and this typically is in the filtering section of the power supply. B-52 amps are not all that pricy and the parts are not all that expensive, and that is one thing that makes them affordable. They are a great value for the $$$ but you could also have a cap that just died of infant mortality which is common with lesser priced components.

I decent tech with a scope can check for ripple on the power supply pretty easily.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Forgive my buttin' in, but- rockitsauce- you might want to be sure not to void your warranty.

Myles is right (of course!), but I just wanted to throw that in. Be sure that you have it worked on by an AUTHORIZED, competant tech so that it doesn't void your warranty. (It's FREE, too.)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

quote:

hey myles, I'm about to retube my new ENGL Fireball to do some experimenting with the sound. Any tube suggestions. Any I'm looking for crushing metal tones only... as always lol
I guess I'll know what I want tonally different as I play with it, but are there any popular tube setups with it that you know of? Also do I need to re-bias it with every power tube change or can I just get tubes in a certain rating like my dual recto
You need to rebias with tube changes unless they are the same tubes and the same rating and the amp was biased for that type and rating.

What tubes are in there now, front end and back end, so I can try to dial you in?

So I got my Fireball, it sounds great but it's a little noisy and the gain is a bit sharp on the high end. I guess I'm looking to smooth the gain out and make it a little less grainy, but keep it heavy. Any suggestions? I have no idea what the stoch tubes are except the power tubes are 6L6GC

www.randallflagg.com

Hey Myles, which tube is the phase inverter in a Bivalve?

I am assuming the left one.

Also, I wanted your opinion on my tubes. I had the Kt77's in and after 2 weeks my guitar started to feedback even when my guitar volume was turned off. Then when I tapped the top of the amp it sounded like a microphone.

I put in the EL34's and it no longer fed back and no longer had the microphone thing.

So I am assuming my Kt77's are microphonic. The guy at eurotubes is sending me new ones, but he said it has never happened 1 time to him with Kt77's.

I just don't know what else could be wrong. I ruled out a bad preamp tube because the El34's had no problem.

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Hey Myles, which tube is the phase inverter in a Bivalve?

I am assuming the left one.

Also, I wanted your opinion on my tubes. I had the Kt77's in and after 2 weeks my guitar started to feedback even when my guitar volume was turned off. Then when I tapped the top of the amp it sounded like a microphone.

I put in the EL34's and it no longer fed back and no longer had the microphone thing.

So I am assuming my Kt77's are microphonic. The guy at eurotubes is sending me new ones, but he said it has never happened 1 time to him with Kt77's.

I just don't know what else could be wrong. I ruled out a bad preamp tube because the El34's had no problem.

V2 is the driver, on the right facing the amp of the two tubes. v1 is most close to the input jacks.

Most any tube will make noise if you hit it. Do the KT77s make noise while playing? Go into feedback? If not, they are fine.

JJ tubes are generally some of the least microphonic tubes on the planet.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

quote:

quote:

So I got my Fireball, it sounds great but it's a little noisy and the gain is a bit sharp on the high end. I guess I'm looking to smooth the gain out and make it a little less grainy, but keep it heavy. Any suggestions? I have no idea what the stock tubes are except the power tubes are 6L6GC

www.randallflagg.com

quote:

quote:

quote:

So I got my Fireball, it sounds great but it's a little noisy and the gain is a bit sharp on the high end. I guess I'm looking to smooth the gain out and make it a little less grainy, but keep it heavy. Any suggestions? I have no idea what the stock tubes are except the power tubes are 6L6GC

This could be many many things.

Try a 5751 in v1 and make sure the bias is no higher than 60% of idle dissapation based on your plate voltage. Actually, fist check the bias and assure that you do not have Sovtek 5881 WXTs

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Well, he is sending me new tubes. Did I make a mistake?

I have never had an amp feedback when my volume on my guitar was off--and they didn't do this when I got them. Is this normal? I am not saying I know.

When I tapped the top of the amp with the 34's there was no noise and no ANNOYING ringing feedback.

Sometimes it is intimidating talking to people who know alot about something like tubes or amps, anything technical. The guy at JJ is sending me the tubes, but I felt a certain hostility. Like I am just some dumbass wasting his time because I am wrong.

The reality is, I think I am right but I am not an expert. I hope I made the right choice, but that ringing feedback was pissing everyone off in the band, including myself and it didn't start until 4 days ago.

Try a 5751 in v1 and make sure the bias is no higher than 60% of idle dissapation based on your plate voltage. Actually, fist check the bias and assure that you do not have Sovtek 5881 WXTs

Hey Myles, I'm new to the biasing of amps since i had a mesa before the fireball. Is there an optimum plate voltage for my amp? Since it's a 60watt amp I need as much volume as possible and I don't know if plate voltage plays a role or not. Also in the power section are there tubes that will be louder then others? I really just dont know how it all works. :)

www.randallflagg.com

Sometimes it is intimidating talking to people who know alot about something like tubes or amps, anything technical. The guy at JJ is sending me the tubes, but I felt a certain hostility. Like I am just some dumbass wasting his time because I am wrong.

The reality is, I think I am right but I am not an expert. I hope I made the right choice, but that ringing feedback was pissing everyone off in the band, including myself and it didn't start until 4 days ago.

Bruce,

If everybody in the band heard ringing feedback there was indeed a problem.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, I'm new to the biasing of amps since i had a mesa before the fireball. Is there an optimum plate voltage for my amp? Since it's a 60watt amp I need as much volume as possible and I don't know if plate voltage plays a role or not. Also in the power section are there tubes that will be louder then others? I really just dont know how it all works. :)
You cannot adjust an amps plate voltage.

Voltage and current are always related. As one goes up the other goes down and visa versa.

Tubes generally prefer current over voltage but there have been many exceptions.

You adjust bias depending on the output tubes and the plate voltage of the amp.

Download my 200+ page tube primer and you will pick up quite a bit.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hey myles!

quick question,

what are your thoughts on the NOS ecc83 Philips Miniwatt (made in holland) with long plates?

i hear they are VERY close to Mullards, and also identical to Amperex Bugle boys. I just orderd one ( offerd very cheap, i couldnt refuse it!), and i dont know how they sound in realationship to other NOS or current production tubes. what are your thoughts on this tube?

i was considering putting it in my V1 spot of a Carvin Legacy 100 watt tube head.

Originally posted by bryan k:

hey myles!

quick question,

what are your thoughts on the NOS ecc83 Philips Miniwatt (made in holland) with long plates?

i hear they are VERY close to Mullards, and also identical to Amperex Bugle boys. I just orderd one ( offerd very cheap, i couldnt refuse it!), and i dont know how they sound in realationship to other NOS or current production tubes. what are your thoughts on this tube?

i was considering putting it in my V1 spot of a Carvin Legacy 100 watt tube head.

They are terrific tubes. In your Legacy with that in V1 and an ECC83S in V2 with a matched phase inverter and a new quad of the EL34M xf2 re-issue it would be a pretty spectacular amp. If you use the new EL34M bias at 38mA in a #7 rating in your amp. We used one of them as a testbed in the EL34M development along with some of Aspen's plexis.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

currently, in my V1 is a NOS ecc83 (made in holland, with short plates, rebranded, V2 is a NOS tungsol 12ax7a, V3 has a NOS GE 12ax7a, V4 has a GT-M, and V5 has a GT-M.

I had the New Sensor corps El34 mullard re-issues in there before, and liked them quite a bit, but i ended up putting the Ruby El34-BSTR back in em cause they had a bit more clarity. This amp is voiced to be pretty dark and low-midrenged as it is, so the Rubys power tubes helped bring the clarity and highs back in there.

i cant wait to try out the Phillips miniwatt in V1!

currently, in my V1 is a NOS ecc83 (made in holland, with short plates, rebranded, V2 is a NOS tungsol 12ax7a, V3 has a NOS GE 12ax7a, V4 has a GT-M, and V5 has a GT-M.

I had the New Sensor corps El34 mullard re-issues in there before, and liked them quite a bit, but i ended up putting the Ruby El34-BSTR back in em cause they had a bit more clarity. This amp is voiced to be pretty dark and low-midrenged as it is, so the Rubys power tubes helped bring the clarity and highs back in there.

i cant wait to try out the Phillips miniwatt in V1!

The M in V5 ... should be an MPI.

The New Sensor "Mullard" is based on the XF4. The GT us based on the dual getter XF2. All the beta test folks and amp designers that had them loved them.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

yeah, the M in V5 is a matched triode ( got it from your buddy Doug Preston, who actually gets me all my tubes!)

hmmm.....i didnt know GT had the XF2 version available. Did you send any to Mr.Preston yet? or are they not available for sale yet?..............

yeah, the M in V5 is a matched triode ( got it from your buddy Doug Preston, who actually gets me all my tubes!)

hmmm.....i didnt know GT had the XF2 version available. Did you send any to Mr.Preston yet? or are they not available for sale yet?..............

I do not know if Doug has these yet. He would have had to order them and I don't really work on the sales side of the house at GT.

http://www.groovetubes.com/images/pix2%20001.jpg

They are in very limited supply and are on the front page of the GT site and at the link for order at

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2170 with the NAMM press release.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, I just bought GT preamp tubes. I got an AT7 and 2 12ax7.

Anyways, the 12 AX7 doesn't fit in my bivalve. it is too fat. I am baffled. Is it a bad tube or something?

How can it not fit?

Bruce,

Some bottles are a bit oversize at times. There are some Marshall amps that use EL84s and the old Vox AC-15 reissue from a decade or so ago that had access holes for tubes cut without enough clearance to handle this variation at times.

Call Patrick or Rick at GT toll free at 1-800-459-5687 if your dealer will not replaced the tube at no charge and GT well.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Hey Myles,

I've been asked about putting up a sticky thread for licks and clips, which may have value as a learning tool. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reif

You can try that.

If it does not get a few posts per week then unsticky it.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Howdy Myles.

I have two amps that I would like your opinion on valve tube choice.

The first is a Fender Twin Reverb, it has a silver face plate and was made in the early 80's. It has a "ringy" sound to it that I don't like. I believe it has Groove Tubes tubes in it, don't know what model #'s if any. I don't like super bright and I don't like a muddy low end and I would like the amp to break up when I play it hard. I have been told that the wiring and quality of the components in this amp is not so good, something about the timeframe it was made in.

My Marshall JCM 800 does not have the EL34's in it, has some other tubes for the US market and I am always told they suck. So should I convert to EL34's for a better sound on it.

What speakers do you like in Fender Twins? I don't like JBL's and EV's , too tight sounding to me.

I realize I have been vague, I am hoping by the amp's description you will be able to tell me what has worked in the past that has pleased other owners of these not so hot sounding amplifiers.

If you need more info I would be happy to dig them out and get that for you.

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Hey Myles,

I've been asked about putting up a sticky thread for licks and clips, which may have value as a learning tool. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reif

You can try that.

If it does not get a few posts per week then unsticky it.

OK, thx.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

Howdy Myles.

The first is a Fender Twin Reverb, it has a silver face plate and was made in the early 80's. It has a "ringy" sound to it that I don't like. I believe it has Groove Tubes tubes in it, don't know what model #'s if any. I don't like super bright and I don't like a muddy low end and I would like the amp to break up when I play it hard. I have been told that the wiring and quality of the components in this amp is not so good, something about the timeframe it was made in.

My Marshall JCM 800 does not have the EL34's in it, has some other tubes for the US market and I am always told they suck. So should I convert to EL34's for a better sound on it.

What speakers do you like in Fender Twins? I don't like JBL's and EV's , too tight sounding to me.

I realize I have been vague, I am hoping by the amp's description you will be able to tell me what has worked in the past that has pleased other owners of these not so hot sounding amplifiers.

I'm not Myles, but here is what he told me for MY SF twin:

"If you want to go softer I'd opt for a set of 6L6R2 (these are the real Svetlanas) patterened off the Sylvania STR387 and a great "Twin Tube". Go with a #2-3 rating and bias at 30mA."

The Master Volume is out of the loop on mine, the "Hum Balance" has been changed to a resistor grid, and the "Output Tubes Matching" is now a real bias control.

I also put in a Matched Phase Invertor" tube.

Long story short, my amp sounds great. I'm a clean player, (Byrdland straight into amp, no effects), but with a less feedback prone instrument, you can crank the amp and it sings nicely.

It's the right amp for me. YMMV.

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

Howdy Myles.

This is a question that is almost impossible to answer. You are asking me what is best ... blue or green in a way.

Look around a bit on my GAB website as there is a lot of writing that addresses many of your questions.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr