Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by myles111:

Originally posted by rsf1977:

Hey Myles I just tried the tubes out and they sound great I always thought ELe4s would sound thinner and more trebly but these sound think and tight, much tighter then the KT66HPs I had they dont have as much bass but it seems like all the EL34 bass is usuable it's really got a thump on palm mutes. I find it odd that most Dual Rect owners don't even want to go near EL34s is it just this brand of tube that works this well?
The E34LS is a much stronger tube with much more plate mass than other EL34 tubes. The E34LS is used by a lot of rock folks ... Slash, Billy Gibbons, Joe Walsh, Joe Perry, Steve Stevens and a lot more. It is also a 30 watt tube and all other EL-34 tubes, including the JJ E34L, are 25 watters.
So with the different power ratings is dual rect still supposed to be in EL34 mode or is it some wierd case where i should run it in 6L6 mode?

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

quote:

Hey Myles I just tried the tubes out and they sound great I always thought ELe4s would sound thinner and more trebly but these sound think and tight, much tighter then the KT66HPs I had they dont have as much bass but it seems like all the EL34 bass is usuable it's really got a thump on palm mutes. I find it odd that most Dual Rect owners don't even want to go near EL34s is it just this brand of tube that works this well?
The E34LS is a much stronger tube with much more plate mass than other EL34 tubes. The E34LS is used by a lot of rock folks ... Slash, Billy Gibbons, Joe Walsh, Joe Perry, Steve Stevens and a lot more. It is also a 30 watt tube and all other EL-34 tubes, including the JJ E34L, are 25 watters.
So with the different power ratings is dual rect still supposed to be in EL34 mode or is it some wierd case where i should run it in 6L6 mode?

Stay with a 4-6 rating and run in EL34 mode

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

"I'd use one of two ....

6L6GE .... as they were one of the originals

6L6R2 (real Svetlanas) as they were tooled off off the Sylvania STR 387 which was the other original tube.

Both are great. I have each of them in these amps for clients and it boils down to personal taste at the moment of selection.

In either case I use a #6 rating and bias at 30mA."

Cool, thanks!

So, for a bf Pro Reverb, what about the output transformer? Would you go with the popular bf Bassman-O/T, or the same or similar to the original Pro Reverb O/T? Or something else?

-And- what would be your choice of speakers?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Myles, I have been looking at your site trying to find info on different uni/bivalve tube configs.

I love the way it sounds right now with the stock tubes (2 el34 and 2 12ax7), but I haev heard it can get even better!! What would mixing a 6L6 and one of those GT mullard reissue el34 sound like with 2 12 ax7 GT compared with my current stock setup? Or 2 GT El 34 and 12 ax7 instead of the ones in my amp now.

I am overwhelmed. Too many choices not enough exacting descriptions at the THD website. I get confused with all the numbers and letters. I wish they would just name the tubes 'names' like Henry tubes, or Sally tubes, Geoffrey (I always pronounce this JeeOffrey). Anyways, things would be easier..

I am curious what tubes I should buy. The guy who sold it to me (bivalve) included 1 Philco 6k6. Would this tube be cool mixed with an El 34 with the lo Volt setting? Anyways, thanks again.

I LOVE THIS AMP!! The Z best cab is incredible too and I use it on its side.. The cool thing is the Z becomes an N like the first letter of my last name!! This amp/cab was made for me!!

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

"I'd use one of two ....

6L6GE .... as they were one of the originals

6L6R2 (real Svetlanas) as they were tooled off off the Sylvania STR 387 which was the other original tube.

Both are great. I have each of them in these amps for clients and it boils down to personal taste at the moment of selection.

In either case I use a #6 rating and bias at 30mA."

Cool, thanks!

So, for a bf Pro Reverb, what about the output transformer? Would you go with the popular bf Bassman-O/T, or the same or similar to the original Pro Reverb O/T? Or something else?

-And- what would be your choice of speakers?

Use the original output transformer. Mercury Magnetics has them.

As far as speakers.... that is your own personal taste.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Myles, I have been looking at your site trying to find info on different uni/bivalve tube configs.

I love the way it sounds right now with the stock tubes (2 el34 and 2 12ax7), but I haev heard it can get even better!! What would mixing a 6L6 and one of those GT mullard reissue el34 sound like with 2 12 ax7 GT compared with my current stock setup? Or 2 GT El 34 and 12 ax7 instead of the ones in my amp now.

I am overwhelmed. Too many choices not enough exacting descriptions at the THD website. I get confused with all the numbers and letters. I wish they would just name the tubes 'names' like Henry tubes, or Sally tubes, Geoffrey (I always pronounce this JeeOffrey). Anyways, things would be easier..

I am curious what tubes I should buy. The guy who sold it to me (bivalve) included 1 Philco 6k6. Would this tube be cool mixed with an El 34 with the lo Volt setting? Anyways, thanks again.

I LOVE THIS AMP!! The Z best cab is incredible too and I use it on its side.. The cool thing is the Z becomes an N like the first letter of my last name!! This amp/cab was made for me!!

The 6K6 would be used in low voltage mode and could be cool with an EL34 but you can even use a 8 pin to 9 pin adaptor and then use an EL84 with the 6K6 which could be pretty fun.

Z best 2x12 .... it is my favorite cab of any of my cabs.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hey myles, I have a problem but first here's my setup

Line 6 Uber Metal pedal

into -->

Voodoo modded ADA MP1

into -->

Peavey Classic 50/50 poweramp (bridged mono 100watts)

It turns out I've blown 2 speakers in the 2x12 and I was wondering if you could recommend a solution. I believe it's a combination of the big low-end of the Ubermetal Pedal and the volume levels I'm playing at. I was thinking that higher power rated speakers that handle low-end better would solve the problem, what do you think?

www.randallflagg.com

Line 6 Uber Metal pedal

into -->

Voodoo modded ADA MP1

into -->

It turns out I've blown 2 speakers in the 2x12 and I was wondering if you could recommend a solution. I believe it's a combination of the big low-end of the Ubermetal Pedal and the volume levels I'm playing at. I was thinking that higher power rated speakers that handle low-end better would solve the problem, what do you think?

You need stronger cabs .... speakers

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Line 6 Uber Metal pedal

into -->

Voodoo modded ADA MP1

into -->

So I'm considering gettin some Weber Thames Speakers

recommended by Ted himself I just don't know which to get the 8ohm or the 16ohm version. I want to run an 8ohm output prom my power amp to it.

www.randallflagg.com

Line 6 Uber Metal pedal

into -->

Voodoo modded ADA MP1

into -->

So I'm considering gettin some Weber Thames Speakers

recommended by Ted himself I just don't know which to get the 8ohm or the 16ohm version. I want to run an 8ohm output prom my power amp to it.

If you want to use the 8 ohm tap use an 8 ohm speaker.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

quote:

hey myles, I have a problem but first here's 100watts)

So I'm considering gettin some

see that's what i thought but ted said to use 2 16ohm speakers in parrellel? Does that work too?

www.randallflagg.com

quote:

quote:

hey myles, I have a problem but first here's 100watts)

So I'm considering gettin some

see that's what i thought but ted said to use 2 16ohm speakers in parrellel? Does that work too?

Two 16 ohm speakers in parallel is 8 ohms.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

It has been some time since I posted, but I finally got the chance to exercise the tube selection Myles made for me some time ago. I got some #2 (soft?) Groove Tubes 6V6S outputs for push pull, and a SAG-12AX7-MPI and a 12A*7 preamp (not sure whether I installed the 12AY7 or 12AX7 there). With a handmade resistive and inductive power brake/hotplate, it sounds great wide open, and not crazy loud. I was playing for 45 mins and my ears didn't hurt. My guess is over 85dB, but under 100.

The tone? Think SRV distortion on 'Pride and Joy' I am very happy with it.

Thanks again to Myles and the help I got from Groove Tubes on the phone!

still a noob!

Originally posted by surgevw:

It has been some time since I posted, but I finally got the chance to exercise the tube selection Myles made for me some time ago. I got some #2 (soft?) Groove Tubes 6V6S outputs for push pull, and a SAG-12AX7-MPI and a 12A*7 preamp (not sure whether I installed the 12AY7 or 12AX7 there). With a handmade resistive and inductive power brake/hotplate, it sounds great wide open, and not crazy loud. I was playing for 45 mins and my ears didn't hurt. My guess is over 85dB, but under 100.

surgevw- what is the amp you're using with those 6V6's?

Just curious!

And, yeah, those "MPI's" can make a huge difference in most amps; great, aren't they? :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

It is a one-off built by Ruetz. I got it from him mostly built. Made for a tweed style amp, I think. Solid state rectification, single pre-amp tube, phase inverter and duet of 6V6-Ss for power. I *might* have enough heater power to install a tube rectifier. Oh yeah, it has bass/mid/treb tone pots. Pretty basic. I posted a URL to the schematic a while back. I really like the #2 6V6S duet.

Me and my Dad made a cabinet. 3/4" birch plywood. It has a (16 ohm?) 10" Peavey Blue Marvel in it. Not my first choice, but it sounds good.

The power brake is a series parallel setup that looks like 7.X ohms DC to the amp. It should turn the approximately 18 Watts out into 2-3 Watts to the speaker. I couldn't get specs on the speaker, I was aiming for low efficiency, like 89-93dB @ 1 Watt (no brake), but I really don't know what it is.

P.S. 'Natural' reverb in an empty warehouse is pretty cool!

still a noob!

Originally posted by surgevw:

You are quite welcome and happy playing!

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Darklava:

Myles whats up with the SRZ-65?are they for sale?

how much?If I read it right single channel think

Marshall 800 Thats me baby :cool:

I do not know what the price is now. I'd to over to the Z forum or write Dr. Z directly and ask for price. They are probably about $1599 or $1699 or somewhere in the ballpark.

They are darn amazing amps. Joe Walsh uses one on the Eagles Tour when you hear "Hotel California" as an example but the amp can be much cleaner or much more agressive. It is sort of the something like the best JCM 800 you every played. .... and a bit more. It is the first time I have really had fun playing my Les Pauls again.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

It's time for me to put in some new Power Tubes, and an MPI in a 135 watt Twin Reverb.

I've used Mesa Boogie 427 tubes and liked them, and I'm less fond of the 420 tubes.

I think I'd like to go a bit softer, perhaps a 3 or 4 rating.

Soooo what matched quartet should I purchase, and what note should I include on the order so the matched 6L6 quartet and MPI tube are "Myles Approved"?

Thanks in advance.

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

Myles,

It's time for me to put in some new Power Tubes, and an MPI in a 135 watt Twin Reverb.

I've used Mesa Boogie 427 tubes and liked them, and I'm less fond of the 420 tubes.

I think I'd like to go a bit softer, perhaps a 3 or 4 rating.

Soooo what matched quartet should I purchase, and what note should I include on the order so the matched 6L6 quartet and MPI tube are "Myles Approved"?

Thanks in advance.

Paul,

If you want to go softer I'd opt for a set of 6L6R2 (these are the real Svetlanas) patterened off the Sylvania STR387 and a great "Twin Tube". Go with a #2-3 rating and bias at 30mA. In the comment section state "#2-3 only please and please show this order to Myles" and I will do the rest.

You can also go to www.tubedepot.com and ask for Christian. Tell him you want a matched quad and on his tester you want a number in the mid 20s and that will work great too.

On the phase inverter I can match to either GT or TD as I know how the Svets trace in the range I specified. This gives you more than one vendor to pick from.

On the phase inverter you a MPI.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

If you want to go softer I'd opt for a set of 6L6R2 (these are the real Svetlanas) patterened off the Sylvania STR387 and a great "Twin Tube". Go with a #2-3 rating and bias at 30mA. In the comment section state "#2-3 only please and please show this order to Myles" and I will do the rest.

On the phase inverter I can match to either GT or TD as I know how the Svets trace in the range I specified. This gives you more than one vendor to pick from.

Myles,

Thanks for the help, I've just ordered a matched quad set of 6l6R2's, a 12AT7 MPI, and a Bias Tool and Manual. I've entered the comment to have the order go past you.

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Hi Myles

I have a Fender 1993 pro tube series super amp 4x10,Im wanting to know the preamp tube fucntions for it.I do know the tube types and placement but not there function.

V1=12AX7

V2=12AX7

V3=12AT7

V4=12AT7

V5=12AX7

V6=12AX7

V7=6L6GC

V8=6L6GC

Hope you can help.Thank you very much..

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

Myles,

Thanks for the help, I've just ordered a matched quad set of 6l6R2's, a 12AT7 MPI, and a Bias Tool and Manual. I've entered the comment to have the order go past you.

Paul,

They showed me the order and I will hand trace some stuff for you.

On bias .... 30mA is where we want to go. If you need to be stepped through it over the phone email me and I will send my home phone number.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by RPM:

Hi Myles

I have a Fender 1993 pro tube series super amp 4x10,Im wanting to know the preamp tube fucntions for it.I do know the tube types and placement but not there function.

V1=12AX7

V2=12AX7

V3=12AT7

V4=12AT7

V5=12AX7

V6=12AX7

V7=6L6GC

V8=6L6GC

Hope you can help.Thank you very much..

The imnportant tubes here are V1 and V2. V1 is the cleans and V2 is only used for distortion channel and you may like a 12AY7 in V2 as it makes the distortion channel more usable and less buzzy.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I know about turning on the power of an amp for a few seconds before switching on the standby to prolong tube life, but I need to find out about the power down sequence for some users on another forum -

1) is there any advantage to turning the standby off for a few seconds before powering off?

2) is there any accepted "norm" for the warming up period before flipping the standby on? I only wait 10 - 15 seconds or so.

Thanks, Tom

Originally posted by Major Tom:

I know about turning on the power of an amp for a few seconds before switching on the standby to prolong tube life, but I need to find out about the power down sequence for some users on another forum -

1) is there any advantage to turning the standby off for a few seconds before powering off?

2) is there any accepted "norm" for the warming up period before flipping the standby on? I only wait 10 - 15 seconds or so.

Thanks, Tom

I leave the amp in standby for a minute or so before playing and after I am done before I turn off the power.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, I know you are sick of hearing from me, but I have a problem with my Bivalve setup.

I am running a DOD bifet preamp (second) and a Danecho in the loop. The preamp is to boost my solos. I have tried the preamp 1rst and it is similar.

Anyways, tonight I had my singer plug and unplug the cords to the FX loop. I definately can notice a difference. It just seems more subtley compressed (more soupy) and not as in your face when I run through the loop. When the loop is unplugged it is killer.

Through the front of the amp I am running a crybaby and a phase 90. I am not having the problem there (to the best of knowledge).

Anyways I hate the idea of losing something after spending the coin to have a killer tone.

The bifet never messed with the tone when I had my Peavey Classic. I am confused as to why it does now (I mean when it is not ON). I tried a Boss digital delay instead of the Danecho and it sounded a bit more hissy. I am not sure if it may be the amp not liking the DOD bifet preamp.

I have already spent alot of money and I want this thing air tight.

I trust you and I know you are a Amp/Tube god!!

What should I do to accomplish my goal of great tone with effects through the loop of the Bivalve?

Originally posted by Major Tom:

Thanks, Tom

I'm not Myles, but when using my tube amps, I turn on the power of the amp first, then I get out my guitar, accessories and tuner. Once I'm tuned up and set to play, the amp has been idling in standy for a few minutes.

When done, I go back to standby, pack up, clean up and then power down. It's my way of not turning everything on right away.

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Myles,

One more 135 W Twin question, as I await delivery of my new power tubes and bias kit.

When I want absolute silence, I run without V5, the tremelo driver. But I do like my tremelo. Do you have a recomendation for a quiet tube?

Peace,

Paul

----------------------