Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I CAN'T SLEEP!

gangsu

First gig with a laptop tommorrow night. Note I didn't say first laptop gig. Crazy stuff! I'm using the MacBook, into the Inspire, into a Radial DI, into the Bose, oh yeah, and a keyboard too. And the midisport UNO cable, can't forget that.

Playing only one sound at a time, lined up as tracks in GarageBand. A couple of the Orchestral Jampack organs, the Vienna Instruments Harp 1, the Promega harpsichord and piano, and a barking dog (it's too good).

Wish me luck!!! Just about every possible thing went wrong at rehearsal tonight.

I'll post a report. Maybe even a pic.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, Sue: break a leg and... post pics! :thu:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by gangsu:

First gig with a laptop tommorrow night. Note I didn't say first laptop gig.

Now what kind of guys do you think we are? :eek:

I'm late to the party, but of course the sheep and I wish you the best.

Break a leg... or something. :thu::P

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

gangsu, the gig will turn out great! If you don't want to break a leg, shake a tail-feather. ;) Good luck. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I apologize.

I thought you said "Note, it's not my first lapdance gig". :P

I really should finish my first cup of coffee before posting. :rolleyes:

Sorry gangsu.

Try not to break anything valuable.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hey Gangsu,

Just don't forget to bring your smile with you when you hit the stage.

Talk to your audience.

You'll be fine!

(now where is the queue to get the pictures of this gig?)

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Gangsu.....you'll do just fine. Everyone here thinks so, I think so, and deep deep down, you believe so as well, regardless of the practice session you had.

Chin up, chops ready, and just simply "rock 'n' roll". :thu:

Erlic

Have fun, Sue!

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/bedclown.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wow, thanks for the incredible support!

Aside from the fact that my exhaustive 5000 word report just disappeared, it's all good.

what I've learned: show up early, get it right, and don't blink til the downbeat...

About the pictures. My designated photographer didn't come through. There are mug shots floating around from the party afterwards, but I'll spare you.

I'm gonna get some sleep. Cheers!

Sue, Good luck with the gig with the laptop. I'm not that brave yet...lol

Seriously, I'm interested how the soft synths sound through your Bose. I've had mild GAS attacks lately for the Muse Receptor but I'm nervous about how well those sounds will translate in mono through the Bose L1. Right now I'm pretty happy with my RD 300SX and Electro rack, but a loaded Receptor would give me many more options for sounds. Anyway, break a leg, girl!

Hi ewall.. the harp is also a stereo sample, so even though a single pole is visually and spectrally (?) appropriate, I was worried too. I picked up a ProAV1 direct box to handle the stereo merge. No complaints at all! Grins from the conductor, wows from other orchestra members.

For all the groans over the price of the thing (the Bose), I'd buy it again.

Overall, the experience of bringing a laptop was a positive one. I will say that I don't like the firewire cable that was included with the Inspire. It's not very flexible, and the connection itself seems less than secure. Perhaps all firewire cables and connectors are the same, but I find it can easily be bumped loose.

I suppose I should be taking the extra precaution of running keyboard audio straight to channel 2 on the Bose, in case something computer/soundcard goes awray. But I just transferred my home setup to stage.

I did spend a few extra bucks on custom length dual RCA cables. Happy with those!

Originally posted by gangsu:

For all the groans over the price of the thing (the Bose), I'd buy it again.

Sue, don't pay attention to my blabberings about the cost of the Bose system. If it works for you, enjoy it. That's all that matters.

I never said that it didn't sound good. I just think that whenever I turn my synth from stereo output to mono, it doesn't sound as good to my ears. So I'd have to buy two Bose systems at $4,000.

And also, I'll say publicly - I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

Besides, many of us (me) have a problem with buyer's remorse. We want the equipment we buy to be the best choice. So we can't stop talking about how great it is.

In other words, you've gotta take the stuff you read here with a big grain of salt (as if you didn't know). :rolleyes:

Luv ya... mean it. :wave:

Happy Holidays.

Tom

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

... the quality of the gig is inversely proportional to the quality of the rehearsal.

Amen. Glad it worked out that way for you, Sue.

My firewire cables fit comfortably snug. It doesn't take much to pull 'em out, but you do have to pull. A bump won't do it.

--wmp

Tom,

Besides, many of us (me) have a problem with buyer's remorse. We want the equipment we buy to be the best choice. So we can't stop talking about how great it is.
I wish I could say that about my POS Roland KC-350. It's perhaps the biggest mistake that I've made this year. :(

On a happy note, guess who I bumped into yesterday--Blueskeys! How kewl is that?

(Sorry for the left turn, Sue...)

Originally posted by cnegrad:

I wish I could say that about my POS Roland KC-350. It's perhaps the biggest mistake that I've made this year.

Cnegrad: I've been looking to pick up a used KC350 to run stereo with my KC550, so let me know via PM if you might be willing to part with yours. As they say, one man's POS is another man's pot of gold. -- Noah

Archived