Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music CD/DVD gift recommendations

ITGITC

Short & Sweet: Music is cool. :cool::thu:

What are your recommendations for giving a CD or DVD as a Christmas gift this year? - and WHY do you make this recommendation?

Any genre.

OK - I'll start. :)

Donald Fagen - "Morph The Cat"

I make this recommendation because, if you are a fan of Steely Dan and/or Donald Fagen, it continues in that same vein. There are no real surprises - just great tunes and tasty arrangements played by great musicians. Oh, the lyrics, as always, are pretty interesting too. I listen, then put it back on the shelf... but inevitably I come back to listen some more... happens every time.

If you're not a fan, that's OK. Just post one or two of your favorites instead. I'm looking for CD/DVD gift ideas from people who are serious about their music. ...Ummmmmm, that's you folks.

Thanks.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am giving a DVD/VHS combo unit as a X-mas this year. Why?

Because the DVD player is broke and the VHS player is old. :eek:

Just figured I would replace their 2 machines with 1 hybrid. :D

Seriously, on the music tip, the Weather Report "Forecast: Tomorrow" CD/DVD box set would make a nice stocking stuffer. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

All the keith Jarrett dvd's are really good. "The Art of Improv." is very cool. All the Pat Metheny dvd's are a must have for any PMG fan. Others that I watch a few times:James Taylor at the Beacon, The Chick Corea/Gary Burton, Bruce Springsteen- Live in Barcelona, The Beatles Anthology,Herbie Hancock-possibilities, Gino Vanelli- brother to brother,Concert for Bangladesh and The concert for George, Joni Mitchell-Painting with Words,...I dig the "making of" dvd's: the making of: Songs in the Key of Life, Aja, Joshua Tree,etc., Diana Krall-Live in Paris,Dave Grusin's West Side Story, The Ed Sullivan box set of all the music acts from the 60's is killer, man...I could go on and on. I love concert dvd's and have a bunch. Buy all those....

and don't forget Standing in the Shadows of Motown and Tom Dowd -the Language of Music

I'd like to suggest my wife to give me CD of

John Mayall - "Behind the Iron Curtain"

Got once this on vinyl but was destroyed.

Great blues on this concert in Hungary, Walter Trout and Coco Montoya duo is just phenomenal, not to mention of course John.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Linwood,

I have many of the DVDs you mentioned in your post.

However, Brother to Brother was one of my favorite albums. Are you saying this is available in a DVD?

I think you had mentioned the Pat Metheney DVDs before and I didn't order them. I should have. I have a wish list on Amazon that I need to review and place an order.

Are there any new DVDs recorded in 2006 out there in the same vein as the ones you mentioned above? Just about all my DVDs are either music concerts or stand-up comedy.

OK, Gino Vanelli and Pat Metheney. That's two for mywish list.

Thanks. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

My best friend mixed all the Gino records and the Concert for Bangladesh thing. I've got Brother to Brother on VHS, but I think you can get it on dvd from Gino's site. It's really good.

A couple years ago, Norm came over and brought a bunch of cassette tapes. In his bag were like a dozen Gino shows, a few Diane Reeves things, but the coolest were tons of Cheech and Chong things that didn't make the albums. Norm mixed all those C & C records, as well. Not to mention Carole King,George Harrison, Yellowjackets, Neil Larson, Carpenders, Booker T, etc.

As far as new..Pat's got "The Way Up" out on dvd now. You can even get it on Blu Ray. 1080, baby. I haven't seen it, but I'm guessin' I will on the 25th!!

Oh and make sure you get the PMG We Live Here dvd. Bad ass..

If I get Tom Waits' Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards beside the menorah, I'll be very happy indeed. Medeski, Scofield, Martin and Wood - Out Louder is a good party disc to break the monotony of Yuletide fare.

As for DVDs, I caught a bit of Miles Electric: A Different Kind of Blue on TV a while ago, and looks like a great film. It's got the whole Isle of Wight set, too, which is pretty killer.

I'm obsessed with the Djavan Ao Vivo DVD - it's filmed really well, and has some breathtaking scenes of him just playing guitar and singing in some park in Barcelona. The concert in Rio is stunning, too - a packed stadium singing along to some hip melodies.

Simon & Garfunkel's Old Friends: Live On Stage is filmed well, too. Those guys still have it, forty years on.

For any Dylan fan that doesn't already have No Direction Home, that would make a nice gift too, I'm sure.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Originally posted by RABid:

I frequently give "A Charlie Brown Christmas" by Vince Guaraldi Trio. It always seems to be a big hit.

Robert

+1. I've given this many times over the years as well. It seems to be timeless and I agree its always a big hit.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Why don't I have The Band's "The Last Waltz" on DVD? I have no idea. Hearing The Staples on "The Weight" and seeing Garth Hudson are worth the price of admission.

Sting's "Bring On the Night" is a classic. Kenny Kirkland, what a loss. Omar Hakim is a bad man. In a related vein, I've been meaning to pick up Stewart Copeland's "The Police: Everyone Stares". I've heard it's very good but can't give a first hand account.

I'll add Joni's "Shadows and Light" to Linwood's list. Metheny, Mays, Jaco, Michael Brecker, Don Alias. What's not to love?

I think the Tony Bennett NBC special that was on prior to Thanksgiving is now on DVD, probably only at Target. It had maybe the best take on "...San Francisco" I've heard Tony sing, with Bill Charlap on piano.

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

Why don't I have The Band's "The Last Waltz" on DVD?

Wow, I've got that one! Considering I only have 1/2 doz music DVDs, what are the chances. I like it a lot.

Someone on this forum had recommended Tom Dowd and the Language of Music, and I never tire of that one either.

Recommended classical CD - Charles Owen playing Poulenc. Good renditions of Les Soirees de Nazelles; solo piano for short attention spans.

And The Fibonacci Sequence Harp, for studied (or not) listening of some great chamber rep.

I'm getting several requests to make personal recordings (I don't mean of me). I really should make one for my folks, though. "Bless This House", "In A Monastery Garden" and "Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen", once and for all, get it over with.

Cydonia, I keep checking that forum track list to see if it's pushing 80 min yet. I'll sequence that extra track or two myself before I copy and gift wrap it. :)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by linwood:

David R - I got Orphans last week. You're as sick as I am, I'm affraid. Our tastes runs the gammit.

Originally posted by Joe P:

You guys are all a bunch of sick F's.

Ummmmmmmmm, sorry. Wrong thread. :rolleyes:;)

My sister-in-law is a major Pink Floyd fan. I'm trying to find the Pink Floyd "Delicate Sound of Thunder" DVD. I used to have a VHS copy that was great.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by gangsu:

I've also been wondering about the CD that was the subject of the "Steve and Matt's great adventure" thread. I'd like to own that one.

Come to think of it, so would I.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by RABid:

I frequently give "A Charlie Brown Christmas" by Vince Guaraldi Trio. It always seems to be a big hit.

Robert

That and the Singers Unlimited Christmas CD (originally on LP). Classic.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Mr. Nightime:

Originally posted by gangsu:

I've also been wondering about the CD that was the subject of the "Steve and Matt's great adventure" thread. I'd like to own that one.

Come to think of it, so would I.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/gangsu/B000HCO8JA.jpg
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

There's a Procol Harum live CD recorded New Year's 2004 or so - great chance to see Brooker & Fisher together (no Trower, of course), since it likely won't happen again.

The new Metheney/Mehldau (sp?) CD is excellent, at least what I've heard.

And of the classic concert DVD's, my fave is Last Waltz, but the Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense is a strong second. And Woodstock's fun for folks who don't have it already. Unless tuning matters a whole lot to you, LOL...

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Mr. Nightime: For a Floyd fan, I highly recommend the live DVD "Roger Waters: In the Flesh." The quality of the audio and video is amazing, and the musicians (including Doyle Bramhall II on guitar and Jon Carin and Andy Wallace on keys) are stellar. Yes, it's not "really" Floyd, but Roger Waters sounds great, and, until the full band reunites for something more than just a few songs at Live 8, it'll more than do.

On the CD front, I recommend the Elton John/Bernie Taupin reunion "The Captain and the Kid." It's just one of those albums that's very good upon a first listen, and then just gets better and better with each subsequent listen. (And, by the way, for anyone who wants to hear what "feel" or "soul" sounds like -- at least to me -- give a listen to "Blues Never Fade Away.")

Happy holidays.

Noah

Originally posted by linwood:

All the keith Jarrett dvd's are really good. "The Art of Improv." is very cool. All the Pat Metheny dvd's are a must have for any PMG fan. Others that I watch a few times:James Taylor at the Beacon, The Chick Corea/Gary Burton, Bruce Springsteen- Live in Barcelona, The Beatles Anthology,Herbie Hancock-possibilities, Gino Vanelli- brother to brother,Concert for Bangladesh and The concert for George, Joni Mitchell-Painting with Words,...I dig the "making of" dvd's: the making of: Songs in the Key of Life, Aja, Joshua Tree,etc., Diana Krall-Live in Paris,Dave Grusin's West Side Story, The Ed Sullivan box set of all the music acts from the 60's is killer, man...I could go on and on. I love concert dvd's and have a bunch. Buy all those....

and don't forget Standing in the Shadows of Motown and Tom Dowd -the Language of Music

Nice choices Linwood. I bought some of these...correction...Santa bought some of these as a present to me...Maybe I'll get to watch it on Christmas day. ;)

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

The Last Waltz Dvd...a must

Clapton's One More Car One More Rider, another must CD&DVD(Billy Preston...MAGIC! and Sancious don't suck either!)

Rush In Rio DVD (worth the price just to see all those Brazilian kids 'singing' YYZ; the playing is phenomenal).

Deep Purple California Jam DVD (raw, but good!)

Roger Waters IN THE FLESH DVD (great playing by all)

Porcupine Tree's IN ABSENTIA CD (Deadwing too)

Santana's SACRED FIRE DVD & CD (Chester!)

U.K. NIGHT AFTER NIGHT CD (Eddie Jobson, need I say more? Gorgeous recording too!)

Ok....I'm tired, but I know there's more!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• 2 weeks later...

Your suggestions are great, my forum friends. :thu:

I often get asked if I would make a list of some things I'd like for Christmas. It's tough to put together a list that reads something like:

Nord Stage 88

Meyer Sound self-powered speakers

Hammond XK-3

Dancing girls

etc.

Ya know? :rolleyes:

So, I figure that if I put a few of these DVDs on my list, I'm bound to get one or two.

Thanks.

Of course, I second

Donald Fagen - "Morph The Cat" (the CD plus DVD edition)

Another recommendation:

Lee Ritenour - "Overtime" (double DVD)

that is: wonderful musicians playing some great music, a Lee Ritenour / Dave Grusin / Patrice Rushen et.al. "past to present" journey

Archived