Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What vehicle do you use for carting your gear ?

The Captain

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, you could always use a motorbike and go at 155mph:

"Pascal, known as Le Prince de Noir (The Prince of Darkness)" takes a ride around the Paris, France loop "La Peripherique" at speeds in excess of 250 km/h (over 155 mph). This video starts at the five minute point of his eleven or so minute lap. Pascal died trying to beat this record." (!)

Originally posted by VLH:

Dave,

I envy you Europeans and your transport options. Rail, bus, subway, walkable dense cities, and intelligent vehicles that get great mileage, as above. Here in the U.S. our options are vehicles badly made extruded GMs and Fords with glorious names like the Chevey Polyp and Ford Excreta, or gas guzzling trucks and SUVs with names like the Dodge Global Warmer, Lincoln Species Extincter, and Jeep Master of the Universe.

Give us another 500 years, and we'll catch up. We ain't civilized yet.

Where population density justifies it (NY, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, e.g.), there are "rail, bus, subway, walkable dense cities, and intelligent vehicles that get great mileage" in the US. For most of our thinly populated country, mass transit does not make economic or practical sense. High mileage vehicles increase in popularity when gas prices are high. Comparing Western Europe to the US is comparing apples and oranges. Also, high mileage cars are demanded by European driver because their gasoline in so expensive due to high taxes.

VLH, you could choose to live in a city with a good mass transit system, but it doesn't make sense to complain about not having a subway system or city buses that come by every five minutes like they do in Chicago or New York.

Me, I haul my stuff in a 2000 Toyota 4Runner, though in a pinch I can get S90, Nord Electro, Motion Sound KP200S and Pro-3Tm into the 91 Saab convertible, although I have to put the top down to load big stuff into the back seat.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I use an Audi A4. It's actually amazingly roomy once you put the back seats down: At our last gig, this is what it hauled:

Nord Stage 88

Yamaha Motif ES6

Traynor K4 Amp

Pair of Klipsch Speakers (12inch woofers)

Carvin Power Amp

Yamaha Mixer

Unison Keyboard Stand

Drum throne

Music Stand

Bag O'cables

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Originally posted by misterdregs:

Where population density justifies it (NY, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, e.g.), there are "rail, bus, subway, walkable dense cities, and intelligent vehicles that get great mileage" in the US. For most of our thinly populated country, mass transit does not make economic or practical sense. High mileage vehicles increase in popularity when gas prices are high. Comparing Western Europe to the US is comparing apples and oranges.

The thing is that large urban areas, by definition, can't be too altogether low density or they lose all raison d'etre--e.g., the ability to travel to many facilities and people within a reasonable period of time.

Country - Urbanized area - Population - Density (People per square mile.)

United States - New York - 20,160,000 - 4,500

United States - Los Angeles - 15,080,000 - 6,100

France - Paris - 10,130,000 - 9,200

Germany - Essen-Dusseldorf - 7,350,000 - 7,200

Canada - Toronto-Hamilton - 5,640,000 - 6,300

Washington, DC-VA-MD - 4,130,000 - 3,400

United States - Atlanta - 4,040,000 - 1,800 (This is the absolute extreme case for low density in a 'medium'-sized major urban area.)

Italy - Milan - 4,220,000 - 7,100

United States - Houston - 4,210,000 - 2,900

Germany - Frankfurt - 2,310,000 - 5,900

United States - Denver - 2,040,000 - 4,000

(Figures taken from respective official statistics bodies.)

Of course, these figures may or may not be strictly comparable--for instance, is parkland included in the density calculations?--but the broad point is clear. Vast swathes of European urban areas can't hardly be any more 'walkable' than Los Angeles, and look just like the above two satellite images of surburban Paris.

(Yes, you might find there's an lot of what were once 'village centres' sprinkled around that you'd perhaps not find in Southern California, but if they're more than a mile away, guess how everyone gets there? Oh yeah... by car. Then there's that hypermarket just down the road anyway...)

For truely high density... Hong Kong.

China - Hong Kong, HKSAR - 6,720,000 - 76,200 (40x more dense than Atlanta.)

(And only 500,000 or so registered cars.)

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/2654/hongkongnx9.jpg

Naturally, transport in such a place is always super-comfortable:

http://www.davidmetraux.com/images/adventure/hongkong/hongkong_mtr_kcr_subway.jpg

Originally posted by misterdregs:

Also, high mileage cars are demanded by European driver because their gasoline in so expensive due to high taxes.

Quite, you'd go broke owning a Chevy Suburban in Europe. I'm not sure there's any significant difference between typical 'family cars' sold in both, though.

Traffic sucks here too.

I'm sure Mr. Horne can tell you how difficult traffic is trying to get anywhere in the Netherlands on the autoroute at rushhour.

Small cars - high fuel costs, yes. Also the infrastructure just doesn't allow for huge vehicles. I can't imagine trying to drive/park a huge SUV on the narrow roads here. You have to pull over and allow oncoming cars to pass by. I do it everyday. It took a while to get used to.

However, I CAN get on a train and go just about anywhere I want. That's a great option .

Originally posted by Trill:

http://www.cargo-trailers.com/nhawk_blk.jpg

Trailers are great when you have all the carts and ramps . Then you have all your cords hung on the walls and other organized bins and storage. You just pick what you need that day.

TRILL, I too, plan on going this route with the trailer.

My vehicle is a Dodge Ram Hemi Quad Cab

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

I'm using a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Standard Cab with an 8' bed. I have a soft cover on the bed to protect the gear. I've got the smaller motor, the 4.7l (318).

Everything goes in the bed under the cover.

I had a Ford Ranger, but if I had to run with the cover on (same type of soft cover) I had to put my stands and my keys in the cab. Now, everything in the back. 2 PA speakers, the Motion Sound, my rack, 3 keyboards, a small sport case with wheels for a chord bag, assorted stands, my beer table (very important), piano bench, and my hand truck all fit.

If need be, I can roll up the cover and put even more stuff in there. Just the other day I put the bass player's rig in my truck, and still had a little room.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by soundscape:

Originally posted by Music*aL:

I use an Audi A4. It's actually amazingly roomy once you put the back seats down

Thing is, is there that much difference between that and, say, a Ford Explorer in terms of the floorpan? I guess the height is the biggest difference?
In my case there is. My A4 is the sedan not the station wagon... See below for what my car looks like (sort of, this one's not mine, but you get the idea):

http://www.autobase.com/photos/large/05331046a.jpg

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Originally posted by latchmo:

Traffic sucks here too.

I'm sure Mr. Horne can tell you how difficult traffic is trying to get anywhere in the Netherlands on the autoroute at rushhour.

Small cars - high fuel costs, yes. Also the infrastructure just doesn't allow for huge vehicles. I can't imagine trying to drive/park a huge SUV on the narrow roads here. You have to pull over and allow oncoming cars to pass by. I do it everyday. It took a while to get used to.

However, I CAN get on a train and go just about anywhere I want. That's a great option .

This is not the first time I've been addressed as Mr. Horne, please call me Dave.

It's interesting listening to the traffic updates on Dutch radio. In addition to mentioning where the problem areas are they give you the total length in km of traffic jams for the entire country. I think I heard a few days ago that there were 240 (or so) km of traffic jams.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Got a PT Cruiser at the end of August. Works great for my gear. The rear seats are removable and after building a plywood floor (to protect the carpet and to ease sliding cases in and out) the thing works great. There is enough headroom to store a leslie 2121 upright. Gas milage isn't bad either. Besides, it looks sort of cool and us old guys need that.

Hate to admit it, butI've finally caved in to a.....HONDA ODYSSEY minivan...

Tons of room, (keys, B3, Leslie, PA etc.) drives great.....

BUT WAIT....THERE'S MORE! If you get too hammered, you can sleep in it....

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

Ford Ranger with a fiberglass shell.

Hammond XK3 in hard road case;

Kurzweil SP88 in hard road case;

Leslie 142;

Behringer K3000FX;

(3) mic stands;

small suitcase containing cables, pedals,tools,mics, etc;

Stand and bench;

Bill Zerbe

Albuquerque, NM

Originally posted by wdl:

Yup. I usually put on a few movies for the sheep. It keeps 'em happy when we're riding back from the gig. :P
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I use an Isuzu Pick up with a cap on the back for my main rig.

For reheasals I carry a different set up in my MIATA. I can get two keyboards, stand, amp and cord case in it.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by Trill:

Originally posted by Mr. Nightime:

my beer table (very important)

Newbie Question:: Whats the best beer table for a live rig ? ;)
Anything that puts your beer within easy reach without the danger of spillage, while taking up minimal stage room. Must be easy to fit into the transport vehicle, yet large enough to accomodate the largest beer glass in the establishment, as well as an occasional glass of the table owner's favorite whiskey.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Dave,

I envy you Europeans and your transport options. Rail, bus, subway, walkable dense cities, and intelligent vehicles that get great mileage, as above. Here in the U.S. our options are vehicles badly made extruded GMs and Fords with glorious names like the Chevey Polyp and Ford Excreta, or gas guzzling trucks and SUVs with names like the Dodge Global Warmer, Lincoln Species Extincter, and Jeep Master of the Universe.

... self-loathing is only popular amongst the 60s types. :rolleyes:

Well, to be honest, we have 2 ford cars(taurus, towncar), and 2 toyota cars, and the two toyota cars(lexus, corolla) are FAAR more reliable than the 2 fords. Infact, one of the fords is in the mechanic shop, and we're trying to get rid of the other. My dad swore that he'll never buy another ford again.

U.s. makes nice cars, but they arent half as good as the brilliant toyotas when it comes to reliability. And to be honest, the volvos and volkswagons are much stronger and more fuel effecient than the fords/GMs vehicles.

Dont follow me....i'm lost too....

Originally posted by Prague:

Dave,

... self-loathing is only popular amongst the 60s types. :rolleyes:
The following link helps to put things in perspective .... http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/gas1.html

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by wdl:

Hate to admit it, butI've finally caved in to a.....HONDA ODYSSEY minivan...

Tons of room, (keys, B3, Leslie, PA etc.) drives great.....

Honda's minivan is one of the highest rated and most popular. If it came in a cargo van version it would be perfect. In my area there have been high incidents of smash-and-grab thefts and that was a big factor in my purchase of a cargo minivan... the cargo area is totally caged so even if you busted the windows you still couldn't take anything.

I fought the idea of a minivan for years and tried just about everything else first (covered pickups, station wagons, etc.) but now that I have a minivan (esp. a cargo van) I don't think I could live without it anymore. I bought mine with shelving and rubber matting pre-installed so it's always neat, organized and ready for work. It's exactly what I've needed for a very long time but was too stubborn to buy. Now I'm shopping for a cheap toy car to drive around in when I'm not working.

Originally posted by The Pro:

Now I'm shopping for a cheap toy car to drive around in when I'm not working.

This is a good idea.

Lots of people here are buying Mini-Coopers. I think they look best with female drivers than an old fart like me behind the wheel.

Our other car is an Accord, 5-speed w/sunroof. Nice car. Like I said, my wife looks a lot better driving it than I. Of course, she'd look great wearing overalls, driving a FORD tractor down I-40 with a piece of straw hanging out of her mouth. :love:

My buddy, Blueskeys, has a nice Miata convertible. He usually drives it around town on two wheels. I won't ride with him anymore because the stain is so hard to get out of my pants. :eek:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived