Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What vehicle do you use for carting your gear ?

The Captain

For those of us who move our gear ourselves:

I use an old toyo landcruiser wagon and haul:

two keyboards in soft cases

one real leslie (on it's back)

stands, stool, cables, clothes

sometimes another amp

If I can get away with just the electro,

I take one of my euro sedans.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by forceman:

2003 Chevy Trailblazer.

For small gigs, my Jeep Wrangler "Rubicon" --amazing what I can carry in that!

I just got a CRV. The old Mazda B2200 truck was getting too unreliable.

Had to replace my soft case for my QS8 with a hard case that is an inch or two shorter. The back seats in the CRV fold up, not flat, so you lose quite a lot of space. With the longer case it had to go on top of everything else so it cleared the tops of the folded down seats.

If you are looking for new wheels, check out the Honda fit. Its smaller than the CRV so total volume is an issue but because the seats fold flat the linear space is a couple of inches longer than the CRV.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee. But I rent a 4x8 Uhaul trailer to carry my gear. They're cheap to rent, the insurance is dirt cheap AND covers my instruments, and I don't have to beat up my Jeep to haul my stuff.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

This topic has come up several times...check the archives for more info. Here\'s one of the threads for starters.

I still rely on either of the 2 Isuzu Troopers we own to cart my gear along with 1-2 other band members and their gear.

Regards,

Eric

http://www.whatvan.co.uk/Hi-Res-Pics/Caddy-DSG-LP1hr.jpg

This is a VW Caddy. The one I own has sliding doors on both sides for the rear section. As far as I know, these models are not exported to the US.

I also use mine to pull a mobile home for vacations. My wife and I store our bikes in the rear section and will often park just outside a city to avoid paying parking costs and bike to where we want to go. A great car. It uses diesel and I get between 33 and 38 or so mpg.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Dave,

I envy you Europeans and your transport options. Rail, bus, subway, walkable dense cities, and intelligent vehicles that get great mileage, as above. Here in the U.S. our options are vehicles badly made extruded GMs and Fords with glorious names like the Chevey Polyp and Ford Excreta, or gas guzzling trucks and SUVs with names like the Dodge Global Warmer, Lincoln Species Extincter, and Jeep Master of the Universe.

Give us another 500 years, and we'll catch up. We ain't civilized yet.

My "followers" usually do the transporting >_>b.

Casio WK 3200: $250.00

Behringer Ultratone FX900: $180.00

Roadrunner bag: $40.00

Intrument cable: $25.00

Radioshack Stand: $10.00

Rocking out of the cheapest equipment you can find: priceless.

Originally posted by VLH:

...or gas guzzling trucks and SUVs with names like the Dodge Global Warmer, Lincoln Species Extincter, and Jeep Master of the Universe.

*LOL* :D

Don't forget the Hummer Antarctica Melter.

http://www.travisusd.k12.ca.us/gwest/graphics/webpics/Hummer%20Limo%206.jpg

A 1992 Toyota pickup with a topper, 198,000 miles, which I bought new.

I used to use a 1977 VW bus, the best gig vehicle ever made, but when I moved to North Dakota I decided a heater would be nice.

I once hauled three amps, a pedal steel, fiddle, banjo, two speakers, effects rack, keyboard stand and small keyboard, a bass guitar, that funny-lookin' guy who plays it, and a small bag of Cheetos in my 1984 Saab. My current Saab is a convertible, not nearly as accomodating...

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

http://www.hiltonheadmusic.com/exterior.JPG

http://www.hiltonheadmusic.com/openback.JPG

My gig van, "Ruby". I've mentioned her before... a 2002 Chevy Astro cargo van with shelves, matting, very secure. I keep everythinhg from cables and lights to spare amps, wardrobe, CD's, bottled water, promo, whatever. Has a solar roof vent to maintain cool interior in the summer. I'm entering a busy season so Ruby stays loaded for the gig.

Ford Explorer which I don't like much. It doesn't have as much room inside as you might think, and it's pretty tall, so lifting stuff up to get it inside gets to be a PITA.

I really miss my minivan. It was a Dodge Grand Caravan. I could fit my keys rig, a full PA rig, a drum rig, and the drummer without breaking a sweat. And, I didn't have to lift things as high and it got much better gas mileage.

I'm hoping to get another one next year, we'll see what happens with that.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

VW Passat 4motion wagon for most keyboard gigs/casuals. Nice comfortable car that's classier than a minivan, just as good in the snow as any 4WD truck, and gets way better mileage. I can fit a stage piano and XK3 in cases plus the Leslie 21 and my Receptor rack and stands and cables and still bring a bandmate or my wife. Plus, the heated seats rock.

For bigger stuff and PA gigs, I use a cargo van.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

Dave,

I envy you Europeans and your transport options. Rail, bus, subway, walkable dense cities, and intelligent vehicles that get great mileage, as above. Here in the U.S. our options are vehicles badly made extruded GMs and Fords with glorious names like the Chevey Polyp and Ford Excreta, or gas guzzling trucks and SUVs with names like the Dodge Global Warmer, Lincoln Species Extincter, and Jeep Master of the Universe.

Give us another 500 years, and we'll catch up. We ain't civilized yet.

We're treading on dangerous territory here as this could be construed as being a political post. ;)

I've lived in the Netherlands for 11+ years and still get a kick from all the bike paths. There are more bikes here than people. I own two, one for every day and a folding bike, a Brompton, for the train.

You mentioned 500 years. I don't think we have that long.

I do have to mention one unrelated cultural difference that I always enjoy. When you go to the cinema here there is usually a intermission about half way through the film. You can go to the bathroom, stretch your legs or buy a beer, wine, or coffee to take back to your seat. I have never seen anyone misbehave as a result of too much alcohol.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

http://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos.yahoo.com/aic/chevrolettruck_silveradoclassic1500hybridextcab_lt1standardbox2wd_2007_385x192.jpg?6SLVRAD6

I have a cover on the bed,with hydraulic lifters.

http://www.cargo-trailers.com/nhawk_blk.jpg

I sometimes haul the drummers trailer on long distance gigs (his truck is old). It has all our sound equip.,lights and drums drum stage. We have a trailer dedicated sound system which is nice. You grab the board from our rehearsal room and go to the gig.

I will be purchasing one just like the one pictured before April for business and band use.

Trailers are great when you have all the carts and ramps . Then you have all your cords hung on the walls and other organized bins and storage. You just pick what you need that day.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I've lived in the Netherlands for 11+ years and still get a kick from all the bike paths. There are more bikes here than people. I own two, one for every day and a folding bike, a Brompton, for the train.

"Quaint" images of Europe are one thing... the reality is another. Indeed, the Netherlands does have extraordinarily high levels of bike ownership and use. Then again, it has a comprehensive Motorway network and a huge "hub" airport with six runways and apparently another in the works... (of course more runways probably reduce emissions, due to reducing holding time for landing.)

As for the rest of Europe...

Transportation: Passenger cars per 1000 people

Belgium BEL 469.8

Canada CAN 561.3

France FRA 494.6

Germany DEU 545.5

Netherlands NLD 382.9

Sweden SWE 455.0

Switzerland CHE 510.7

United Kingdom GBR 439.23

United States USA 482.4

All figures 2003 except United States 2001 and Netherlands 1999.

Transportation: Road traffic, million vehicle-kilometers

United States (2000) USA 2,653,043

Europe (1999) 3,736,532

All figures from the World Resources Institute, http://earthtrends.wri.org/

Anyway, I suspect people focus on vehicles since they are "visible" but everything you have and do involves energy consumption. IIRC, typically 20% of "greenhouse gas" emissions are a result of FOOD production/distribution in developed countries.

Dave,

I envy you Europeans and your transport options. Rail, bus, subway, walkable dense cities

Well, postcard views certainly look that way... London and Paris have big "downtowns" like New York City... and there's no shortage of old "village" centres. But where's the real business today? For example, did you ever see a French hypermarket?

http://restaurantdoctor.com/trips/fall2005/pix/auchan2.jpg

And BTW, if you ever happen to travel on "rush hour" rail in London, your envy will rapidly cr*p out. (Hint: At worse you'll be lucky to squeeze onto the train, much less get a seat. Yes, really. Don't worry, everyone else will look as fed up as you are, and they'll all be reading the paper (if they can) and listening to their iPods too.)

Originally posted by soundscape:

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

[qb]I've lived i

Transportation: Passenger cars per 1000 people

Belgium BEL 469.8

Canada CAN 561.3

France FRA 494.6

Germany DEU 545.5

Netherlands NLD 382.9

Sweden SWE 455.0

Switzerland CHE 510.7

United Kingdom GBR 439.23

United States USA 482.4

But in the US, SUVs count as "light trucks". As such they fall outside the manufgacturer fleet emissions requirements and you would also need to add them into the above figures for a realistic comparison.

Originally posted by Byrdman:

But in the US, SUVs count as "light trucks". As such they fall outside the manufgacturer fleet emissions requirements and you would also need to add them into the above figures for a realistic comparison.

The figures are from the above source (World Resources Institute), and they don't state whether it does or not--but I think you're more than likely right that it excludes SUVs. I seem to recall a figure of 700 vehicles per 1000 people in the US from another source. But it doesn't really matter, either way--the point is that in Europe, people still drive a great deal as shown by the other figures above:

Transportation: Road traffic, million vehicle-kilometers

United States (2000) USA 2,653,043

Europe (1999) 3,736,532

Now, you could ask "what is Europe?" and work out the per capita vehicle-kilometres/year, but the quaint idea that in Europe people bike and catch the train all the time is already ruined.

Or for a more 'visual' view:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4784/parisud6.jpg

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8291/paris2sz6.jpg

Suburban Paris.

Archived