Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Payment in kind!

Manhunter

I'm sure we've all done gigs over the years for various amounts of money as well as for beer :P , fun :D , the adoration of women :eek: , food (&/or beer - again) :P ....etc.

Well, I've started doing a few gigs for Bentley (car manufacturer). We get paid reasonably well for their events (launching new model, convertable etc.) but I got to thinking that it would be nice to get paid in kind for these gigs :cool: . The convertable would be nice (190 mph with the top down - 195 with it up!) keyboard could go on the back seat or sticking up with the roof down in the summer.

Has anyone else done gigs for unusual payment? ;)

Dave

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of playing for automotive related gigs

I played a solo for A vintage Goggomobil car Rally

to the Aussies yes G.O.G.G.O and yes the DART

I spent the whole day driving my vintage 2 stroke Goggomobil Dart sportscar around Sydney which is actually very tiring with a smelly 2 stroke motor screaming in your ear..then drove 2 hours back home to pick up my everyday car a 1958 Wolseley 1500 sedan loaded up my gear and drove another hour to set up for the nights entertainment,loaded in myself [i was totally stuffed],and performed as a freebie as it was my car club [i was stuffed but the adrenelin kicked in and I got thru it] ....this I did other than the fact you just want to play was I guess to prove to them I was more than just that crazy vintage car collector they knew or had seen on Television.

That I guess was my payment...respect that i was more than what I seemed.

I hated being stereotyped as that crazy vintage car collector to one set of friends...a surrealist artist to another and a musician to others..people are just not interested/diverse enough in talking/experiencing outside what they are inolved in.Non money Payment can be so personally fulfilling or a big mistake..lol

ironically I have dropped out of that goggo scene mostly as it was once a joyous gathering of eccentrics/nutters but now since goggos became famous in australia it has become a trendy rich mans car...damn.

It didn't start out that way, but a former bandleader who owed me $3K (long story) offered me a B3 with Leslie 147 to call it even. I was sorely tempted, but really needed the cash - we were about to move from Detroit to DC. This was 1987.

I wound up settling for about $2K in cash instead. Sigh...

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

No - the employer woulda paid. But we were downsizing from a house to a townhouse. There would have been no room for it.

It worked out, I guess - my D152 that I bought 15 years later was way cheaper, and fit my needs better. Still missing that Leslie, though. Maybe soon.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Originally posted by Manhunter:

Um, no... I did a few gigs for Mercedes, but they didn't offer me one. :rolleyes: I also have played for FIAT, and they *did* offer a top-of-the line Coupè (a floor/demo model, IIRC) for a discounted price of 20.000 Euro instead of 35.000... I said "no thanks"...

Originally posted by marino:

Originally posted by Manhunter:

Um, no... I did a few gigs for Mercedes, but they didn't offer me one. :rolleyes: I also have played for FIAT, and they *did* offer a top-of-the line Coupè (a floor/demo model, IIRC) for a discounted price of 20.000 Euro instead of 35.000... I said "no thanks"...
Back in the 70's a friend of mine owned a Fiat. He really liked driving it, but he swore that FIAT meant Fix It Again Tony. ;)

Originally posted by daviel:

I owned a 124 spider and a 128 sedan way back when they sold them in the US. I love Fiats!

He... I guess the general image of Fiats is "cheap cars of the '70s", and they are in a way... but the one they offered me was a top-of-the line model, quite attractive... but out of reach for me. :)

Originally posted by marino:

Originally posted by daviel:

I owned a 124 spider and a 128 sedan way back when they sold them in the US. I love Fiats!

He... I guess the general image of Fiats is "cheap cars of the '70s", and they are in a way... but the one they offered me was a top-of-the line model, quite attractive... but out of reach for me. :)
A funny side-story about Fiat all over the world: They've been in Brazil for quite a long time (starting back in the 70s with the ubiquitous 147) and now rank right up there with Ford, GM and VW. Anyway, I've lived in Spain for some years and found that SEAT was born from Franco's "nationalization" of the foreigner manufacturer interests. Later on I went to Turkey and found out that Tofach (that's Fiat's brand over there) was born out of the same ruse. I couldn't help thinking how pissed Fiat must have been to have their whole business snatched from their hands in these countries. And guess what...in all these countries (Brazil, Spain and Turkey) they pull out similar jokes on the meaning of the FIAT letters :eek: ...
"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

It is now that VW bought them. In fact, last time I checked VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda all make similar vehicles, certainly all based off the same platform.

According to Wikipedia: "It was founded in the year 1950 as a subsidiary of FIAT, with an important share owned by the Spanish Government under the dictatorship of Francisco Franco, the factory being located in Barcelona."

and

"After the withdrawal of FIAT in 1981, the Volkswagen Group signed a cooperation agreement with SEAT, becoming the major shareholder in 1986, and owner of 100% of the company in 1990."

Archived