Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So what chord is this?

Steve Nathan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Legatoboy:

The point I was trying to make about IQ was not in a "generalized" context.

Oh, I know what you mean--it's just that the term "IQ" and I suppose to a lesser extent intelligence has a specific meaning of general intelligence. (Unfortunately, many psychologists have been attempted to obfuscate their meaning.)

I think, and it is a theory of mine, that someone with a high musical apptitude, who may have lesser apptitudes in other areas can come up with a geniusesque musical idea/concept that bubbles to the surface regardless of other hindrences....

There are extreme cases (I remember a TV program some years back where a kid could paint an entire (large and fancy) building pretty accurately by looking at it for a few minutes--this was doing the painting somewhere else!) but was quite dysfunctional in most other areas of development. But let's stick to the "normal" range... yes of course it's possible to be well developed and have high musical aptitude and be less developed in other areas. But you'll probably find that anyone with high musical aptitude responds better to any "informal" test of intelligence rather well (and to more formal tests as well)--they are not "fools." Considering the high complexity of working with well developed music, ranging from composition to arrangement to sight reading Rachmaninoff (if your fingers can stretch ;) ) to improvisation, it all demands a high level of mental "number crunching".

I actully ment the opposite and a more optomistic view of our human condition as musicians in terms of what each of us may have in us.

For me, the idea of general intelligence is very optimistic--if I put my mind to it, I can do it.

Originally posted by Steve Nathan:

"The Eighth Page" Sounds good for a song title!
Or the title of Mark Foley's Autobiography :D
Now THAT'S funny :D:D

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

MidLifeCrisis,

I guess I could never get over the fact that I am a slow reader and this fact has depressed me for some time. I can read and play complex music, I will learn anything, Chopan, Bach( 3 part Fuges), 'In a Mist'.....only I can only do it slowely. It's just so laborius for me in terms of 'Sight Reading' a piece ....slow reading is not really a problem.....Chart reading is not really a problem if it's just changes and simple lines where I don't have to do to much number crunch on fingering and double stops and time changes on the spot. . . .

I stopped studying as kid at about 11 starting at 8 and that was on accordian, in my teens I played primarily blues based R&R on organ(B3) mostly and some piano from 15 to 23 gigging almost every weekend. In my mid 20's I picked up the piano trail seriously till today, I'm 52 now.

My studies now (past 7 years) have focused primarily on improv. jazz skills, this suits me and my life .. I know I can be a better reader and it is to some degree a matter of consistantly doing it, because I have seen myself improve.

I know I am musical though, and I consider myself to have an above average musical abilty, not off the charts but above average.

I should probably cut my self some slack.

I think I may have just become enamored with the idea of musical intelligence to sooth my low self esteem to some degree! I should probably just forget about the reading as evidence of musical self crediability.... it can be just another box of a definition to get trapped in....!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Originally posted by linwood:

Richard, you raised the bar.

That should be spelled, "raised the barre". Sheesh; you guys can't spell words or chord symbols correctly. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) :D

Thanks linwood! Except, I just remembered that the 2600's a monosynth, so couldn't play a chord. Doh!

Ok, then:

F Ab C E D (played on a polysynth, with the keyboard set up like Joe Zawinul's reversed Arp 2600)

EDIT: Hey, I'm at the top of page 9! Wheeeeeee!

Originally posted by cnegrad:

That should be spelled, "raised the barre". Sheesh; you guys can't spell words or chord symbols correctly. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) :D
Pretty funny there cnegrad. And a Seinfeld quote to boot!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

MidLifeCrisis,

I guess I could never get over the fact that I am a slow....etc..

You directed this at me?

I've only chimed in here with a sheep picture and a joke about the NFL thread.

I've mostly stayed out of this thread since it was starting to remind of the P250 Dude thread over at the place which shall not be mentioned

I'll be glad to discuss your reading skills if you want to, but whoever you meant to address with your response might not get your point.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

What is this chord: Db, Gb (RH) / C, G ,Bb (LH)

Shouldn't that be Db Gb B E Ab to better fit the title of this thread? So what do I care. :D

Since this is Steve's thread, I dub this chord C7/Db4, a C7 in the RH and Db4 in the LH. ;)

Archived