Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Was "Spain" the last Jazz Standard written?

Jazz+

A friend of mine commented that "Spain" (1972 by Chick Corea) was the last tune written that could really be called a Jazz Standard.

Can you name a more recent widely known, performed, and recorded Jazz Standard among jazz musicians?

Jazzstandards.com - catalogue of over 1000 standards, ranked by the number of jazz artists who have recorded each one; also historical and biographical information

http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions/index.htm

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

awesome site, thanks for the link. The musical analysis of each tune is especially interesting, together with all the other info it is really mind boggling.

to answer your question - Birdland appears in a few real books, as do a number of Stevie Wonder tunes. I've seen more than one jazz band play "Isn't she lovely" and "You are the sunshine". Do they qualify as jazz standards though?

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Europa - Santana

Sudden Samba - Neil Larsen

Shaker Song - Spyro Gyra

Memories of Tommorrow - Keith Jarrett

Pieces of a Dream - Stanley turrantine

Affirmation - Geroge Benson

Breezin' - George Benson

Mr. Magic - Grover Washington Jr.

These are tunes that I play regularly with groups and jam sessions.

If you consider *Acid Jazz* as a legitimate form of jazz, then you could add a lot of other more recent and current tunes that get the "jazz treatment".

Definitely "Birdland" and "Mr. Magic," as far as being commonly played. A lot of what Mojazz lists falls into the more smooth territory, by my judgement.

Other Keith tunes I hear played fairly often are "Spiral Dance" and "Long As You Know You're Living Yours." Some of McCoy's tunes, as well, like "Happy Days," remind me of those Sonny Rollins calypso tunes.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

"Chameleon" perhaps? That was a little later than "Spain".

I could see a few more Metheny tunes becoming Real Book entries, like "So May It Secretly Begin", "James", and "Always and Forever". "April Joy" and "Jaco" are already in the RB though not often played. "Bright Size Life" is almost a modern standard for guitar players.

Originally posted by David R:

Other Keith tunes I hear played fairly often are "Spiral Dance" and "Long As You Know You're Living Yours."

I was playing "Long As You Know..." last night. Love "Belonging".

Definitely "Birdland" and "Mr. Magic," as far as being commonly played. A lot of what Mojazz lists falls into the more smooth territory, by my judgement.

Your remark regarding the tunes I listed as "more smooth territory" implies that they are not considered Jazz Standards. Only the tunes by Spyro Gyro and Grover Washington Jr. are considered "smooth jazz" in general. The other's are jazz, pop, rock or fusion tunes.

Europa - Santana

Sudden Samba - Neil Larsen

Shaker Song - Spyro Gyra

Memories of Tommorrow - Keith Jarrett

Pieces of a Dream - Stanley Turrentine

Affirmation - George Benson

Breezin' - George Benson

Mr. Magic - Grover Washington Jr.

As you should know, any tune can be played, (arranged or improvised) using the melody of the aforementioned tunes. What is done with it determines whether it's thought of as a "pop-style" or "jazz-style" performance. Take any of the tunes and give it the "jazz treatment" ie. reharmonisation, altering the melody, a different rhythmic foundation, etc. and they take on the characteristics of what many will considered to be "jazz".

I don't think i've ever played or heard these tunes played as a note-for-note cover versions of the original recordings. They're played with the same kind of approached that a tune from the Great American Song Book would received albeit with more of a funk rhythm then say a swing beat.

These tunes are very popular in many jazz jam sessions, that is why I call them Jazz Standards.

Here's an interesting book from Sher Publishing

The tunes below are included in Chuck Sher's The Standards Real Book

Saving All My Love For You

Piano In The Dark

Pick Up The Pieces

One Hundred Ways

Minute By Minute

Something To Talk About

Song For You, A

Soul Man

Suite Judy Blue Eyes

Valdez in the Country

I don't think you could call these Jazz Standards, however, they are popular enough to be call Standards, played anyway you like smooth or a bit rough. And look who is endorsing this book, the guru of piano jazz theory, Mark Levine.

"Sher Music's Real Book series just keeps on getting better and better. The Standards Real Book is the closest thing in print to The Great American Song Book."

Mark Levine

Mark Levine has a vested interest in promoting anything Sher Music does, it's his publisher.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Weather Report's Birdland and A Remark You Made qualify for the standard status, IMHO. And Jaco's Continuum, Pat Metheny's Have You Heard and some others perhaps do as well.

I always considered Skunk Funk (Brecker Brothers) as a landmark tune as well, but it's not a very easy tune to play, so when a standard is supposed to be played and be able to get adaptations and all, then Skunk Funk gets a "no".

To me, it's not directly the inclusion in one or the other self-crowned "Real Book" which is deciding. It's the strenght of the composition (and not necessarily the performance as recorded) that counts.

Originally posted by mojazz:

Your remark regarding the tunes I listed as "more smooth territory" implies that they are not considered Jazz Standards. Only the tunes by Spyro Gyro and Grover Washington Jr. are considered "smooth jazz" in general. The other's are jazz, pop, rock or fusion tunes.

Very true, and I'm aware that any tune can be played in any style (whether it works or not is another story). I've always been baffled at the inclusion of pretty much straight-up pop tunes ("After the Love Has Gone" by EW&F, for instance) in the New Real Books or other resources of that ilk, just in terms of context. The Fifth Edition Real Book, and its large doses of Metheny, Steve Swallow, Mike Gibbs and even Zappa, at least corresponds to its apocryphal tale (put together by a bunch of former and then-current Berklee students; Swallow's rumoured to have had large participation in the book).

Maybe it's just the different geographical circles we run in, Mojazz, but I've never heard anybody play the Santana, Spyro Gyra or Neil Larsen tunes you've mentioned.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

The tunes mentioned above seem to mostly fall into what Chuck Sher's books classify as:

"Pop-Fusion Classics" (Crusaders, Spyro Gyra, Benson, etc.)

"Contemporary Jazz and Jazz Fussion" (Corea, Brecker, Weather Report, etc.)

"Brazilian Classics" (Jobim, Lins, Bonfa, etc.)

"Jazz Classics" (Giant Steps, Oleo, Bag's Groove, Tune Up, etc.)

"Choice Standards" (Gershwin, Porter, Rodgers, etc.) is the category Sher uses for what people call The Great American Songbook. These are the tunes most often "chosen."

Ha... I often have a bit of fun with my improvisation students, by asking them the title of the most corny pop song they can think of, and giving it a Bill Evans treatment on the spot... Nothing better to open their ears to the marvels of harmony!

(Yeah, I know I could just play Bill's version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town", but it's not widely known in Italy, so that would detract from the effect)

Just a way to alleviate the load of long teaching hours. Hope to change that soon! ;)

Back to topic... Chick's "500 Miles High" and "Windows", or Herbie's "One Finger Snap" and "Dolphin Dance" come to mind as modern standards, but they are even older than "Spain".

Once, a sax player called for Steps Ahead's "Pools" (by Don Grolnick). But he had brought written parts for everyone...

1986 Chan's Song - Hancock

1980 Love Dance - Ivan Lins

1979 Close Enough for Love - Mandel

1976 Isn't She Lovely - Stevie Wonder

1975 The Peacocks - Jimmy Rowles

1974 Everything Must Change - Benard Ighner

1973 Send in the Clowns - Sondheim

1972 Spain - Corea

The 1970s-2000 in Song

"Prior to the 1960s, popular songs were the primary source for the majority of entries on the jazz standards list. There were significantly fewer in the decade from 1960-1970, where the mix of popular song, songs from Broadway shows, and jazz originals is, for the first time, evenly balanced. The jazz standards list from the decade 1970-1980 has only 14 tunes, of which one, Superstition, comes from pop music, and one (Send in the Clowns) from a Broadway show. The remaining songs are jazz originals, as is the only tune from the 1980s, Love Dance.

Although during the 70s and 80s there were pop songs with melodies and harmonies capable of being adapted as jazz vehicles, musicians seemed to be either going back to the music before the 1960s (especially tunes classified as jazz standards) or writing their own material. If the trend of popular music continues to move away from melody and harmony into rhythmic based music (hip hop and rap), in may be an indication that jazz musicians will continue to look to older material or originals for their repertoire."

http://www.jazzstandards.com/history/history-7.htm

"Saving All My Love For You"

;)

Hey, have you heard Lester Bowie's version?

Mal Waldron tried to create a few albums using modern pop tunes as jazz vehicles in the 70s and Herbie's tried it more recently. Nothing's really become a standard though. Over here inthe UK, you do hear quite a few people play Stevie Wonder's Visions and a few of his tunes have become standards of a sort.

Nice analysis Jazz+

Girl from IpaNaima?

It SHOULD be a standard.

And I got one up my sleeve too. It's been there for almost a year. But I have a note from my doctor.

Anyhow, it's melodic enough to be a standard. Whether it ever sees the light of day would be an entirely different question.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

No no no. IpaNaima, not Ipanema.

Written by KC's own Richard Whitehouse (forgetting his screen handle now). Included melodic and rhythmic elements from both Jobim's and Coltrane's classics. It was on KC Comp CD 10.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Thanks for the plug, DafDuc!

I think of Girl From IpaNaima as more of an arrangement than an original composition. But it's an arrangement of two tunes glued together, mixed with a smattering of original composition.

If that became a standard, I'd freak! I'd also likely get sued by the estates of Jobim and Coltrane, so let's just keep it to ourselves, ok?

It seems that some are focusing on composition vs. recording. It has always been my understanding that something becomes a "jazz" standard once a popular jazz performer integrates it into their repertoire, either via live performances or via recording.

For instance, "Someday My Prince Will Come" is a jazz standard because Miles Davis recorded it.

The story for compositions written by Miles Davis himself, is slightly different -- though when dealing with someone of that stature, probably almost everything that he wrote himself is by now considered a standard.

Compositions such as "Watermelon Man" may not have become "standards" if they had not been re-recorded by so many other artists. After all, isn't that what makes it a standard, as opposed to whether the original source recording is simply liked by a whole lot of people?

I too would be interested to see a list of what is considered a standard following the early 70's. I just replaced my "Real Books" with the new "official" ones (I felt guilty about the old ones, but there was no option at the time). I haven't yet looked thoroughly at Volume 3 (which just arrived last week) to see what it has in the way of newer compositions.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

I could see a few more Metheny tunes becoming Real Book entries, like "So May It Secretly Begin", "James", and "Always and Forever". "April Joy" and "Jaco" are already in the RB though not often played. "Bright Size Life" is almost a modern standard for guitar players.

Interesting choices those, though I'd have to guess that more than one child walking around today was probably conceived to Are You Going With Me.

"Long As You Know You're Living Yours."

Of course, the fact that Steely Dan nicked a few pieces of that one for Gaucho doesn't hurt either.

Archived