Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

IMO, the strongest teams amid the wackiness appear to be the following:

NFC--Giants, Bears, Falcons, Saints

AFC--Colts, Chargers, Broncos, Patriots

I guess a few more shoot-outs similar to the Colts-Broncos game will clear the air--maybe. :rolleyes::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vegas may give old Denny's firing a BYE on the over-under line until the Detroit game.

If he loses that one....he may be...can we all say it together...."s- f----". :D

Is this Ben Roethlisberger's (delayed) rookie season? :confused:

I know he is dealing with various injuries but some of his throws appear to be Grossmanesque. :eek::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Giants are pretty close to having sewn up all critical tiebreakers. 3-0 division, all on the road, 5-1 in conference, with a key win over Atl. Love it. Nose the grindstone boys, and don't you dare look past Houston to the Chicago game. Hou is exactly the kind of gotcha game that could set the whole thing off balance.

Just to keep blowing the horn, remember that the Giants had, by far, the toughest rated sched in the league this year AND that that rating counted Philly as a BAD team, coming off of their 6-10 debacle.

There's still a long way to go, and I might sign for 11-5 if it were offered right now, which might be good enough to bet a first round bye, 'cause, seriously, do you see Atl or the Saints or the Panthers going 12-4?

Just sharpie the Bears right into homefield throughout. The battle for bye#2 is going to be brutal.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Giants are damned sharp. Eli had a so-so day, and their defense went into overdrive. They're looking pretty formidable right now.

Meanwhile, on the AFC front, tonight and next weekend are going to be MONSTROUS games - both involving the Pats, and both having HUGE implications. Plenty of good football to watch! :thu:

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

What a wacky season. Teams fluctuate from week to week looking like world beaters one week and then crap the next.

Besides the Colts, I have little or no faith in any team on a week by week basis.

Indeed it has been a whacky season. It does make things interesting and I think alot of fans feel even though there team is playing poorly, they still have a chance. :freak::freak:

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

What an NFL week it was! !

-1st off, what's wrong with my Eagles?!! I have no idea, not a clue, and sadly, neither does Andy Reid.

-For the record, as soon as they announced Big Ben would start, I knew I was toast in the survival pool. Did I change my pick....no! I fugured, Ben would stink instantly(he did) and Cower would pull him in the 2nd quarter, and the Steelers would get onto winning. Did that happen? Not even close. Let's make this clear- I AM AN IDIOT!!!

-Has anybody seen Mike Vick's stats the last 2 weeks? Here's a hint - 7 touchdowns in 2 games! Regarding the Falcons, how do you game plan against them? What do you take away? Marvin Lewis decided to take away the run.. Vick burns them by going to Crumpler. Then Lewis blitzes..Vick evades the rush and runs. What do you do?

-Daman Huard resume is really starting to look good, me thinks there's some bling in his free agent future.

-Everyone's looking waiting for Arizona to shine and Leinhart to take them over the top, meanwhile, quietly under the radar Vince Young has already begun winning.

-Bears vs Colts does look like a mouthwatering superbowl, these things never seem to work out though do they.

-Speaking of the Colts, once, for about 30 seconds, I saw Manning & Dungy both break a sweat on the sidelines. But 30 seconds later, back to coasting. Oh by the way.. WHAT vaunted Denver defense? :rolleyes:

-Mac is back.. Steve McNair & The Ravens D assasinated the Saints yesterday. 1st QB to be able to brave that stadium, and those win-thirsty fans. Plus the run game finally came to life. Maybe Billick is onto something!

-The Denny Green death-pool? Not so fast! Denny has put together a hugely talented team, but in all fairness, the O-line did deteriorate under his watch. What to do? Well sure you could fire Denny, but then what? Then who? Remember this was a job NOBODY wanted when Green took it. Also, if you change the coach, then you change the coordinators, and how many more OC's do you think Leinhart could stand before he's ruined? Best thing, give green 2 more years to fix the O-line.

-The Giants scare me. There getting better as they go along. I think the game in 2 weeks will tell alot when they face the Bears. Maybe a championship game preview? I wouldn't be shocked though, I predicted they'd be a force on these very boards back in preseason.

-- Ok, now lets discuss that Steelers game. Or rather, Let me vent while you read and snicker at me..

Let's see, Big Ben has had what, 2 major surguries and 2 concussions in just the last few months. The 2nd concussion coming JUST LAST WEEK!! Clearly the man is going thru a physical hell this year, and has looked like a shadow of himself.. So what does Bill Cower do? He's starts the guy the week following his 2nd concussion! :mad: He does this when Charlie Batch has looked like the 2nd coming of...Damon Huard this year?! ;) Benching Ben has NOTHING to do with Ben not being the future of the franchise all of a sudden. Or that starting Batch means he's now the guy, no. What is means is that Ben is clearly having a year from hell, and is not even close to form. Also because he is the guy, you need to be watching out for his future, for the next 8-10 years that he has in front of him. No such luck. Cower went for what he thought would be an easy win, and he could sneak his wobbly, battered, stitched up QB in front of the Raiders and got burned.

Bill Cower is a fool!

Me, I'm just the idiot who picked the fool. For the record, Cower ended the season for Pittsburg(no H at the end)yesterday. The Stoolers are done, Finito! Stick a fork!! Best of luck to you this year Ben Roethlisberger...you'll need it.

TROLL . . . ish.

Besides the Colts, I have little or no faith in any team on a week by week basis.

And being a longtime Colts fan, I have little to no faith in the Colts once the playoffs start.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I didn't get to see the Indy Denver game 'cause the mighty Jets were playing the dominant Browns...

But I'm really surpirsed by both scores: that the Denver D gave up so many points and that the Denver O scored so many points!

Since Dan's disowned the Steelers (and I disowned the Raiders around week two), note my objectivity with the following statement: the Raiders still suck, and they suck badly.

Their defense looks pretty good. On paper, they have the #1 pass defense in the league. Why? Because most teams haven't bothered passing against them, sadly enough.

So, did the Raiders win yesterday? Yes... and no. They won on the scoreboard, while producing 98 TOTAL YARDS of offense. Why they continue to allow Walsh to keep his OC job is beyond my comprehension. Is the team really that bereft of talent? I say no. I see this offensive embarrassment being nearly completely the fault of inept coaching.

So great, now the Raiders have the same record as the Steelers, Texans, Titans, 49ers, Browns, Bills, Bucs and Redskins. This mean not only will we not go to the playoffs, but might not have a great pick in what's supposed to be an epic draft.

Sigh.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

Since Dan's disowned the Steelers (and I disowned the Raiders around week two), note my objectivity with the following statement: the Raiders still suck, and they suck badly.

Their defense looks pretty good. On paper, they have the #1 pass defense in the league. Why? Because most teams haven't bothered passing against them, sadly enough.

So, did the Raiders win yesterday? Yes... and no. They won on the scoreboard, while producing 98 TOTAL YARDS of offense. Why they continue to allow Walsh to keep his OC job is beyond my comprehension. Is the team really that bereft of talent? I say no. I see this offensive embarrassment being nearly completely the fault of inept coaching.

So great, now the Raiders have the same record as the Steelers, Texans, Titans, 49ers, Browns, Bills, Bucs and Redskins. This mean not only will we not go to the playoffs, but might not have a great pick in what's supposed to be an epic draft.

Sigh.

- Jeff

As a Raider fan I was looking forward to a decent pick as well in this epic draft. While its still early, it is scary to think where they could be picking considering how bad they have played.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I too was amazed by how badly Ben played. Cowher should have sat him for at least a couple of games and played Batch to give him more time to heal up.

If Denver built their defense specifically to stop the Colts, I guess its still a work in progress.

I felt kind of bad for my former QB Brees, as his 380 yd passing effort was in vain against those Ravens (though he dug himself a hole too with those turnovers). Colston got me 28 pts - what a sleeper pick he's been for me! His FFL production has been unreal for a rookie 7th round pick.

Only a few teams are capable of overcoming 3 turnovers and winning. Unfortunately, Carolina is not one of them.

Sorry, Pats fans, but I gotta root for the Vikes tonight. My fantasy football opponent has Tom Brady.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Ben should have been yanked after the first half. He's not fit to be on the field right now.

Cowher's going to regret not going with Batch...

Batch played very well in the season opener. If they'd let him play a few more weeks, Ben could have recovered more fully before taking the field. I think they should switch back to Batch NOW. Give Ben some rest, even if he doesn't want it. If Denver knocks him out, that **COULD** be the END OF HIS CAREER. After listening to M. Hodge's account of his dual concussion aftermath, I have a new appreciation for the severity of this injury.

That old lady who ran into Big Ben's motorcycle - do you think she might have worked for the Bengals?

:D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

You at least have some youth on your team. The Bucs are getting long in the tooth. Derrick Brooks our leader on defense has obviously lost a step. Same with members of the line and secondary. Our top receiver is 36. Our best days are behind us. Even a top draft pick is not going to revive the franchise. To top it off we have Gruden who has to be one of the worst evaluaters of talent ever. He gave away John Lynch for nothing claiming he was too old to compete. He has only gone on to appear in 2 pro bowls with Denver.

Pardon the rant. Its hard to make it through a bad season when the you know the horizon will be even dimmer.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Wow. On a more current topic...

Every time I think Brady is going to have his hands full with a given D, he goes and does this.

Have you ever seen a more thorough dissecting of a star-studded (Smoot, Winfield, et al) secondary?

The Vikes declared very early that they were not going to allow NE to run - so they stopped running and started passing at a ridiculous pace!

To top it off we have Gruden who has to be one of the worst evaluaters of talent ever. He gave away John Lynch for nothing claiming he was too old to compete. He has only gone on to appear in 2 pro bowls with Denver.

Come on, even the "other man's trash picker" Belichick passed on Lynch because of all the neck injuries. You can't very well fault Gruden for that. He put together what should have been a damned solid offense, and his players are either not executing or getting injured, in rather bizarre fashion.

The ramifications are incredible at this point.

Pats schedule next 4 weeks:

vs. Indy

vs. Jets

@ Green Bay

vs. Chicago

They have the unenviable task, and at the same time the amazing opportunity, to take on the two best teams in the league - at this point, the two undefeated teams in the league - and they get them at home, to boot!

Folks, if the Pats run the table the next month, is there anyone out there that will still believe they're not the best team in the league?

Every time I think Brady is going to have his hands full with a given D, he goes and does this.

I was concerned when Charlie Weis left. I thought he was the true offensive genious behind this team. But Mr. Bill has proven that he can disect any defense and devise a great game plan to beat them. Minnesotta's defense was highly rated going into this game. The Pats made them look really bad.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

[qb]Come on, even the "other man's trash picker" Belichick passed on Lynch because of all the neck injuries. You can't very well fault Gruden for that.

:eek:

You must not follow the Bucs that closely.

Chucky brought in Charlie Garner who was well past him prime. He let Thomas Jones (Bears running back) go becuase he thought Charlie was better. :confused:

He the let Joe Jurevius go (too old) and brought in Tim Brown. :confused:

Not Gruden's fault :confused:

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

Steve, I'm just pointing out that you can't fault Gruden for not wanting to take the chance on Lynch.

I don't follow the Bucs closely enough to make a call on those other decisions, but I can say that there wasn't exactly a long list of suitors for Lynch when he went FA...

Steve, I'm just pointing out that you can't fault Gruden for not wanting to take the chance on Lynch.

Ok. I can see that.

Tampa fans are still sore about Lynch. He was by far and away the most popular player in Tampa. The city went nuts when they let him go.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

Folks, if the Pats run the table the next month, is there anyone out there that will still believe they're not the best team in the league?

Yeah, they'd be right up there.. Why I wonder do the Pats always seem to have these type games at home? Just about all the Colts/Pats matchups I've ever seen have been in New England.
TROLL . . . ish.

Folks, if the Pats run the table the next month, is there anyone out there that will still believe they're not the best team in the league? [/QB]

MICHAELS: Folks, the Super Bowl has come to down to this.

MADDEN: How many times have we seen it? After Robbie Gould gave the Bears 31-30 lead with a 52 yard field goal, Tom Brady takes the ball with under a minute to go and puts his team in a position to win their fourth Super Bowl in six years.

MICHAELS: And now, trotting on to the field to attempt a Super Bowl-winning 47 yard field goal, Stephen Gostkowski...

MADDEN: Who shot who in the what, now?

Originally posted by meccajay:

Yeah, they'd be right up there.. Why I wonder do the Pats always seem to have these type games at home? Just about all the Colts/Pats matchups I've ever seen have been in New England.

Last year's regular season matchup was in Indy.

It's weird luck - all the significant Pats-Steelers games over the last few years were always in Pittsburgh...

Tom Brady's awe-inspiring performance yielded a ridiculous amount of points, carrying my opponent to a victory. :(

Belichick has the most successful system in football right now, one that lets him plug in veterans and rookies alike into positions where they can produce. The Chargers have tried copying the Patriots model to some extent but have been held back a bit by Marty's old-school thinking. Belichick, as noted by the announcers, has no concept of offensive balance - getting points any which way is more important to him than a good run/pass ratio. He's happy if they throw the ball 50 times and have no running game as long as they win. The ability to tailor the philosophy to the specific opponent (smash mouth one week, pass happy the next) is unparalled.

Archived