Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

I'd say we're a few days behind schedule for starting a Football 2006 thread!

Hint, hint!

Huh...? Oh, yeah...sorry...lessee....

Art Shell? Back as Raiders coach? :eek:

Bush, Leinart and Young? Where will they land? Will Jay Cutler factor in? There are folks who say he's better than either of the other two, and that the Jets are looking at him pretty hard...

Does Pittsburgh have what it takes to repeat?

...and so on. Off we go. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will the NFL look into its officiating practices?

Will Brett Favre return? If so, will he remain a Packer?

Will San Diego play up to their potential and make the playoffs?

Will Seattle return to the Super Bowl this upcoming season; or like other Super Bowl losers, will they fall apart after their heartbreaking loss?

I like Art Shell. He certainly has what it takes to deal with Al Davis. It remains to be seen, however, how he'll handle the new salary cap football era.

Vince Young really should be the first Texans superstar. I hope so, anyway.

Sure, Pittsburgh could repeat; but I put the odds at less than 50/50: too much parity and competition.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Vince Young really should be the first Texans superstar. I hope so, anyway.

No way. The texans are David Carr's team. If they go for anyone, it'll be Bush...however...

...IMO, Houston would be smart to trade away their #1 pick. They could build a franchise with the right trade.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Pittsburgh, repeat? IMO, neither of those teams deserved to be in the Sueprbowl nor will they make it back next year. I understand the Seahawks had the best record in the NFC, but, they weren't all that impressive.

Colts...are they destined to be another Miami? Always good, but not good enough to get to the big game?

The Colts are a big argument against single elimination playoffs, but, given the nature of football, what else can you do?

I read an article today that Vince Young's stock is going down faster than a groupie on Kid Rock's tour bus, in part because he got a god-awful score on his Wonderlick test at the scouting combine. As a Redskins fan who watched Heath Shuler flame out in the pros in large part because I just don't think he was bright enough to understand pro offenses, this isn't something that should be (or likely will be) entirely overlooked. Then again, Donovan McNabb also bombed the Wonderlick, and I'd say he's doing just fine as a pro.

And dB: Nice call on those All Blacks jerseys. Do you also do their Haka war dance before gigs?

Go Skins,

Noah

Originally posted by garrafon:

Pittsburgh, repeat? IMO, neither of those teams deserved to be in the Sueprbowl nor will they make it back next year. I understand the Seahawks had the best record in the NFC, but, they weren't all that impressive.

After the Steelers beat Cincinnati , I told my son that they would probably win the Super Bowl, because they were playing so well.

The AFC North to me is one of the toughest division in the NFL if not the toughest. The games are hard and physical and Pittsburgh is as tough a team to play as they come. Well coached , they make few mistakes and they have a tough defense. There is not a Bengal fan who wouldn't want Troy Palamolu on thier team.

I really dislike them ,especially after they took out Carson Palmers knee . But you have to respect how good they really are year after year. I think the Bengals have won like 8 straight against NFC opponents.

Originally posted by NoahZark:

I read an article today that Vince Young's stock is going down faster than a groupie on Kid Rock's tour bus, in part because he got a god-awful score on his Wonderlick test at the scouting combine.

Don't dare believe the hype Noah! That hype about him getting a 6 on the test was never substantiated, so far he got a 16 so he's right along side Dan Marino on wonderlick scoring..

All this sounds like hype created by Jay Cutlers agent so he can go up in draft position. Good agent work, but it doesn't erase what we saw VY do in back to back Rose Bowl games..

Watch this clip and tell me does the "test" erase the "tape"?!

Vince Young reel

TROLL . . . ish.

Magpel: I was hoping nobody would ask that question, because it is too hard to answer.

As a die-hard Giants fan, the answer is the Giants. :)

But, from a more objective standpoint, I think the Colts from the AFC (that's not to say the Steelers are a bad team, they are a very good team, I just didn't think they were the best of the AFC). KC, Denver, and Jacksonville posted some pretty darn good seasons too, in my opinion.

The NFC is a much more difficult call. The numbers suggest Seattle. But, they just didn't do it for me. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that I would have preferred to see Tampa or Carolina in the big game (that is, of course, if the Giants are to be excluded from consideration, and I really don't think they were a Superbowl team as much as I HATE to admit it).

P.S. I frequently drive through the New Paltz area on 84.

Time to talk about cap cuts. The Raiders are the HIGHEST team over the cap... they need to clear $26M off the payroll. Here's what ESPN thinks the cut list might be:

- LB Danny Clark

- QB Kerry Collins

- RB Zack Crockett

- S Derrick Gibson (already declined option)

- DE Bobby Hamilton

- DT Warren Sapp

- OL Ron Stone

- CB Denard Walker

- DT Ted Washington

YIkes.

- Jeff

Originally posted by garrafon:

Magpel: I was hoping nobody would ask that question, because it is too hard to answer.

Okay,I get you now. I thought you were implyig that some they were illegitimate conference champs.I completely agree that it was a subpar and lackluster postseaon, and nobody just went out and grabbed it by the throat.

Yes, route 84 runs fairly close to here, but it's 87 that runs right through.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I've gotta say, we're off to a promising start with a great mix of fresh and familiar faces in this year's NFL thread. It's good to have it back home in the Keyboard Corner where it all started. :cool:

I hope though that we don't lose the lone KSS member (girevik) who joined us KC transplants regularly during the last season at KSS. He made a great addition to the vibe we've got going. I've sent him a PM inviting him to register here and join in on our discussion.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Hey Trill, thanks for the link - good article.

You may want to check out meccajay's post above though, and his link as well. ;)

(Great highlights, by the way, meccajay.)

Best,

Geoff

I certainly overlooked that post Geoff, thanks

Good article none the less Trill!

They are calling this 'Bloody Thursday' due to all the forthcoming cap casualties. My Titans have already lost T Brad Hopkins. More to come as we are 20 mil over the cap. Good luck to all you guys and your teams today.

Fasten your seatbelts and get ready for the coming storm!

TROLL . . . ish.

I've heard that in several reputable mock drafts that Vince Young could fall into the 2nd round? With the combination of his wonderlick score, inability to throw a deep ball, and his agents poor ability to market Young the right way...these columnists (who specialize in the draft) feel that if Vince is not picked in the top 7 or 8, that he could possible fall to the second round based off other teams needs and how those teams are positioned in the draft.

Play only what you hear within...if you hear nothing, play nothing at all

My Gear: Motif; Ensoniq MR-76; Suitcase Rhodes; Earthquake MKII Pedal; DiscomBOBulator; PodXT

Originally posted by musicalaccents:

I've heard that in several reputable mock drafts that Vince Young could fall into the 2nd round?

Texans & Titans not withstanding. I really coulldn't see the Jets and Raiders letting VY just slip by like that.

Lienhart, Young & Cutler will all be gone within the 1st 5-6 picks.

TROLL . . . ish.

Rumor here is that Jets are trying to package their #4 pick and John Abraham to Houston for the #1 pick, with which the Jets intend to take...Leinart.

Leinart?

Somebody should slap everybody in theleague hard on the helmet. 3 months ago, nodoby questioned that Reggie Bush was the man to get,that he is a Barry Sanders in potentia...

All threeof these QBs are gambles in my book. Leinart has everything but the arm and legs...

Cutler's a combine kid. Be prepared to wait a while on that.

VY? There are legitimate concerns, and then there's mania.

If Reggie Bush doesn't end up an uber productive player in this league (even in a 2 primary back arrangement, like Dunn/Alstott, Dunn/Duckett) I'll be shocked. The only question with Reggie is durability. Otherwise, he WILL be a big play machine.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I think the ONLY detriment to Reggie Bush is that he's not going to be on the field on every down. At least not carrying the ball anyway.

It will take an offensive coach with vision to be able to put an offense together to capitalise on his special talents.

The Leinhart Young love comes down to this.. They win big games.

In other words Bush to Houston with no O-line maybe an effort in futility. With a QB you can always sit him for a year or 2 to get things in order. RB's tend to start right away.

TROLL . . . ish.

I think Houston should and will trade the first pick in order to build a solid O line for Carr or whoever they decide will be their QB. They could still snag a good QB by trading down to 4, so the Jets deal sounds interesting.

It all really boils down to what happens without the salary cap.

I'm just gearing up for another year of gruff Parcells sound bites, wondering how many older players he can manage to bring into the fold.

I'm not a "people" person, I'm a "thing" person.

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

Time to talk about cap cuts. The Raiders are the HIGHEST team over the cap... they need to clear $26M off the payroll. Here's what ESPN thinks the cut list might be:

- LB Danny Clark

- QB Kerry Collins

- RB Zack Crockett

- S Derrick Gibson (already declined option)

- DE Bobby Hamilton

- DT Warren Sapp

- OL Ron Stone

- CB Denard Walker

- DT Ted Washington

YIkes.

- Jeff

Working their way up from the bottom:

Washington, Walker, Stone cut

They've still got to cut about $15mil more! :eek:

:(

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

On the plus side, the Lions actually might benefit from other's pain this year, having about a $12-13mil cushion....interesting. I feel a light Brees from the south. :D

Too bad Mooch isn't still there.... :(

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Archived