Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Nord Electro 2 piano sounds

silentman

Loaded up the 'new' Steinway D -- not bad at all!

(The Yamaha C7 is just a little too bright. Too bad there's not enough memory for both)

Seems to me that the Electro Steinway D is better balanced and just sounds better than the Stage Steinway D? How can that be??

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by wdl:

Loaded up the 'new' Steinway D -- not bad at all!

(The Yamaha C7 is just a little too bright. Too bad there's not enough memory for both)

Seems to me that the Electro Steinway D is better balanced and just sounds better than the Stage Steinway D? How can that be??

I don't know how that can be... But, something's not right with your Stage or the way you're running it, coz the pianos are just fine on mine. In fact, they're much better than just fine. They sing....

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

I dunno whassup wit my NS88, I guess..

Really, it is rev. 1.12 - which should sound the same is 1.14. And I'm playing it through AOK amplification (including Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones) So, you tell me! I'm mystified..

D6 Clav

Although the piano samples haven't changed with OS 1.12, seems to me that the OS upgrade also affects the pianos or at least their playability:

All pianos especially the grand has been enhanced to meet higher standards in quality and feel, it now contains more velocity layers and there is a more accurate balance between them.

. . .

There was a note-on click when playing piano arpeggios using sustain.

I just makes good sense to update your OS to the latest OS, and this way you can eliminate at least one issue.

Hope this helps.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Whoa, I log on after a long break and what do I find? Electro renewal kit! The pianos are SO much better than before. I'm using the Steinway for some gospelish funk songs. I really didn't mind the pianos before, but now I find I'm actually bringing up the piano patch first thing after power-on.

Also, did anybody else notice the sweet improvement to the leslie sim? I didn't actually like the sim too much in mono, but now I'd be fine with it on stage. The web page says that 2.3 also fixes a bug in the clav filters. Has anybody noticed a bug? Cause I hadn't had any problems with it before.

Peace

All I need in life is a bong and a piano.

So Mr Bill have you found the C7 sounds for the electro?I believe that the Steinway sounds different to you because is close and not ambient like on the stage.That's the difference.Although smaller in size and logically worst.It is fine for the electro user who had those old crappy pianos(with AcGrand3 a little better than the other)...

I just heard from Clavia. They are releasing new piano sounds and a new OS (2.0) for the NS88.

http://www.clavia.se/news/namm06.htm

Here it is from Clavia's site:

Nord Stage OS 2.0 preview

New enhanced piano factory library 2.0. Two new pianos. The Steinway now also comes as close mic version and the Yamaha C7 now also comes as a 64MB luxury version with even more velocity layers and realism.

The sustain function is greatly enhanced with a much more realistic and natural damping effect when the sustain pedal is released.

The reverb now contains two more types to choose from. The two new reverb types has much in common with the old spring reverbs of the past.

Improved delay effect, the tap tempo function now supports glitch free setting of new tempo. The new tempo is shown in the main display.

The analog waveforms, in the synth section, are further improved. The synthesizer unison function now also includes the classical two voice unison.

All instruments now supports larger range of octave shift.

Audio routing can now be saved with programs.

Also...there will be a NS76...

Again, from Clavia:

Nord Stage seventy six

The Nord Stage seventy six has a 76 note keyboard with the same medium weighted hammer action keyboard feel and contains the same powerful features as the Nord Stage eighty eight but in an even more light weight and compact design. This means you dont have to compromise anything in terms of features or sound quality where weight and space is a matter of concern.

D6 Clav

I'm going to try out the 2 new pianos and see which I like best. Someone tell me, out of the older pianos for electro which Acoustic Piano is the mono sampled one?

I'd like to have the mono sampled and then put one of the newer stereo ones in the Elec Grand spot if I have enough memory to do it like that. EWall

I just loaded the new Steinway and the new OS. I tried it at a rehearsal, and I must say that both the new Leslie improvements and the Steinway are VERY nice. It seems to me they have done some work on the EQ as well as the Leslie character. I'll try out the Yammie tomorrow to see how it feels.

Originally posted by ewall08530:

I'm going to try out the 2 new pianos and see which I like best. Someone tell me, out of the older pianos for electro which Acoustic Piano is the mono sampled one?

I'd like to have the mono sampled and then put one of the newer stereo ones in the Elec Grand spot if I have enough memory to do it like that. EWall

The mono sample is AcGrand1 - its a Steinway D. However there is not enough memory to have the mono sample and a stereo sample unless you delete 3 other samples.

(For example, you could have AcGrand1, AcGrand5 and Rhodes1 - but nothing else. 3 slots on the instrument selector would be empty)

Perhaps someone could help me out.

How much flash memory does the stage have for piano sounds?

I mean if you load the 64 meg piano how much memory is left for the other sounds?

I appreciate clavia answering the complaints about the piano sounds but if loading a better piano means you loose the Rhodes/Clav sounds that's a win/loose.

Originally posted by wdl:

I just heard from Clavia. They are releasing new piano sounds and a new OS (2.0) for the NS88.

Shoot! With this news, and the specs outlined, I can feel the onset of a GAS attack creeping up on me. I think it behoves me to go and try out the Stage this weekend ;):D . Now, an important question already asked and answered (but in light of this new evidence):

Does anybody have a definitive take on whether the Stage's organ, EP and AP sounds are superior to the Electro's? Also, how many versions of each sound are there e.g. 5 Rhodes sounds, 6 clav sounds?

Originally posted by RonL:

Perhaps someone could help me out.

How much flash memory does the stage have for piano sounds?

I mean if you load the 64 meg piano how much memory is left for the other sounds?

I appreciate clavia answering the complaints about the piano sounds but if loading a better piano means you loose the Rhodes/Clav sounds that's a win/loose.

My response about removing Rhodes/Clav sounds to load 2 pianos was for the ELECTRO, not the Stage. I had to do this to A/B the new samples - once I chose one I returned it to full functionality.

You can see it here ;

http://www.clavia.se/products/nordstage/software.htm

As i remember it when I upgraded to 1.12 and new samples, it says 98 % filled. So i think you gonna leave some other sounds, f.ex. The upright pianos and f.ex the Eletric Grand, or, or, as you wish. Happily it is fast and easy to change sounds, as long you have acess to a computer, but it would be nice if it was possible via a memory stick, or, best of all, if it had more ram from the beginning.

Maybe it will come an expander, or a Stage 88 Mark II later ? ;-)

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

thanks for the clarification -

BUT

I am still confused. I looked over the clavia website and don't see or understand how much flash ram the Stage has. Are all of the listed instruments loaded at once? so if I wanted to load the 64 meg delux piano mentioned above I would need to delete 64 megs of other sounds? Right?

The stage - especially the 76 is on my short list of boards to replace my heavy PC2X - I am not happy with the reviews of the current piano voices in the stage. I tried the electro and I love it's concept, weight, but the pianos were among the worst I have ever heard.

Cool, i'm digging the new yamaha sound - i need the brightness to cut through on the Latin-ish stuff i'm doing. Sweet, i aint gonna lug my stage piano to my next gig!

Only problem is, they sound severely crap in mono in the foldbacks :P

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

Originally posted by RonL:

thanks for the clarification -

BUT

I am still confused. I looked over the clavia website and don't see or understand how much flash ram the Stage has. Are all of the listed instruments loaded at once? so if I wanted to load the 64 meg delux piano mentioned above I would need to delete 64 megs of other sounds? Right?

The NordStage has enough flashram to keep all of the samples loaded, as listed on the website. How many MB ? Dunno. Count them, it is also listed how much memory each of them are using.

36+34+4+4 and so on. It is not so important.

When the new "HighRes" pianosampling are released, it will fill 64 (?)mb, so you have to make room for it by exclude one or more other samples. It could be that you choose that piano as the only grand piano, as it then will fit in memory.

The NordStage are delivered (or it can be downloaded, free of charge)with a manager, running via USB that make switch of sounds very easy.

BTW. I love the piano sound and feel in my Stage, and so do the boys in my band. You have to make your own decision about the feel and sound.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

[/qb]Does anybody have a definitive take on whether the Stage's organ, EP and AP sounds are superior to the Electro's? Also, how many versions of each sound are there e.g. 5 Rhodes sounds, 6 clav sounds? [/QB]

D6 Clav

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Steinway sample on my Electro. I never use the Electro acoustic piano because I have a P90, but in a rehearsal the other day I didn't have the P90 on hand, so used the Electro piano for one of the songs. After we finished the song, the first thing that happened was the bass player saying, "Ugh. I hate that piano sound." All I could say was "I know. I know." True story.

I have the C7 loaded up right now. I had a gig Friday in a small place so I took just the Electro- no S90ES, no rack, etc. Electro running dry into the amp. I found the piano sound cut great on the rock type stuff, but when I played sustainy type things, it lacked, well, sustain. I think I'm going to try doing a layer with the S90ES and the Electro. The Electo really cuts better than the S90ES on some applications, but the S90ES sounds much better on ballad type stuff where you are not banging away.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I've noticed that then new Steinway sounds great through headphones, very good through a mixer and small studio monitors, but a lot more problematic through various combinations of amps. Hope y'all don't mind a naive question, but the electro is the first board I've used that wasn't an analogue synth. Does the acoustic piano on yamaha and other boards show the same variation depending on output mode, and is just superior regardless, or is the sound more mainly consistent throughout?

I looked over the clavia website and don't see or understand how much flash ram the Stage has.
The Stage sample memory is 128 MB, 4x that of the Electro2.

Does anyone know if the Demo files on the Clavia website are from the upgrade?
If you're talking about the Electro2 demo files, they're the same as they've always been, using the original sounds from version 2.0 (possibly before that!). Clavia may be getting demos of the new ones recorded, and if I get some time, I'll check out an Electro2, update it, and make some recordings of my own. (I've been wanting to record some samples of some of the more ... esoteric sounds you can get out of the Electro2 and Stage, anyway.)

If you're talking about the Stage, I think they're from version 1.14 using the original piano samples. The new Yamaha "deluxe" and close-mic'd Steinway samples work on version 2.0, which isn't available (as of this post).

Synthlord,

I'm sorry I was referring to the Electro 2 demo files. A recording of what the new samples sound like would be so cool. Thanking you in advance.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

I also have the new OS and Steinway piano but would like to raise another question among the Electro faithfull. Does anyone else think the leslie fast speed sounds lame and that the ramp up time is too fast? And does anyone else think the Rhodes' are great for chordal work but unusable for single note passages? Oh, and by the way, I think the new piano is as good as say, the S90.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

Archived