Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along...

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey d-dmusic, just so you know, I was only joking too. I don't think people were trying to ridicule you, seriously. Sometimes you think of someting 'amusing' to say and it's just too tempting not to post it ;) I wouldn't mind knowing Craig's answers to your questions myself, actually.

Ya O.K. :) But I think we need to be able to ask questions freely. And damn it. I am interested in knowing that. I mean Hench has got a Fairlight system with 56 input automated consoles in each mix room and a mainframe TC-Electronics M5000(I think ?)plus a whole shit load of other stuff I would imagine..... and it's very interesting to hear how his mix sounds with all of that high end gear. But if you didn't ask.....you wouldn't know. :bor:
eightyeightkeys

[quote]Originally posted by Hush: [b]riffing drums are a little masked. need to notch some space for them. Vocals a little burried too. Noise in a couple of place need to be cleaned up(I know it's nit picking but I heard a couple of things. One at :37 one at 1:43 two at 2:19). Marc[/b][/quote]Marc, thanks for the comments - I appreciate all inputs. I agree the vocals gets lost sometimes and if I had time, I would've turned everything else down (the vocals are already just below clipping). Mixing drums is still a challenge for me. I'll check out those noises - thanks for the time marks.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

[quote]Originally posted by alphajerk: [b]damn.... im fully digging spacebasses mix the best so far. too damn wicked.[/b][/quote]Ugh. I'm not mincing any words... I really DO NOT like that mix! But I can see how someone else might...the guitar leads are just so vapid :p

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

It's really interesting to hear all the interpretations and then hear what the artist intended. When I heard the raw tracks with all the guitars I thought this was a straight ahead rock song in the J. Geils / Dylan Like a Rolling Stone vien. I was surprised that people chose the synth guitar sounds over the real ones. I thought they were there more for accents. I wanted to achieve a more big wall of sound type mix. I guess my classic rock leanings are showing. ;-) Very cool :cool: Marc
Searching for a new sig

[quote]Originally posted by Hush: [b]I wanted to achieve a more big wall of sound type mix. I guess my classic rock leanings are showing. ;-) Very cool :cool: Marc[/b][/quote]I was going for that too. While mine sounds pretty reverb thick I was thinking of the Hendrix Live at Winterland album with its pretty static panning of the instruments and the strange sense of depth that the concert had. I don't really have a lot of rock mixing background but the song really seemed to pull in that direction for me so I thought I would give it a shot. - DJDM

[quote]Originally posted by d-dmusic: [QB]Ya O.K. :) I mean Hench has got a Fairlight system with 56 input automated consoles in each mix room and a mainframe TC-Electronics M5000(I think ?)plus a whole shit load of other stuff I would imagine..... /QB][/quote]Fairlight MFX3.48 TCSustem6000 MAckie D8B. No other outboard gear was used.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

<<<> The DAW was Sonar. The sound card was irrelevant, I used it only for monitoring (it was a MOTU 2408, soon to be exchanged for a Frontier Design Dakota now that they've released final WDM drivers). No tracks were added, so no recording, and I didn't go through any outboard gear. <> You sound like you read my articles, and are aware that I generally send "stems" out from Sonar to the DA7. However, I didn't do this with "Fate of the Heart" because I was JAMMED for time before going to NAMM and had another project set up on the mixer. I didn't want to have to tear down and start over again. <> Not as weird a question as it seems...I sprung for one of those Herman Miller chairs after reading Mitch's review in EQ a few years back and it has really helped my back and shoulders. It's damn pricey but at least I got it for cheap on Ebay . FYI the EQ used on the drums was the Wave Arts TrackPlug. Craig

Thank you for validating me, Craig. :) So, as long as we're discussing ergonomics...what kind of keyboard & mouse do you prefer? Seriously - I have had troubles with these over the last 2 years. I now use trackballs exclusively, to alleviate overworking my index finger. Keyboards are weird, too - I type Dvorak-style, and here at work I use a Kinesis scalloped keyboard, ever since I had tendonitis problems a couple years ago. Expensive keyboard, but it really saved my hands.

[quote]Originally posted by DJDM: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Hush: [b]I wanted to achieve a more big wall of sound type mix. I guess my classic rock leanings are showing. ;-) Very cool :cool: Marc[/b][/quote]I was going for that too. While mine sounds pretty reverb thick I was thinking of the Hendrix Live at Winterland album with its pretty static panning of the instruments and the strange sense of depth that the concert had. I don't really have a lot of rock mixing background but the song really seemed to pull in that direction for me so I thought I would give it a shot. - DJDM[/b][/quote]IM with you guys. My mix used almost none of the synths after the intro. It emphasized the guitars and I goosed the speed up a bit consistent with a more driving rock feel. I went fairly dry - and built up to a wall-of-guitars sound at the end Thats how the song spoke to me. I feel that some of the other approaches tended to be driven by mixer testosterone in ways that sometimes conflicted with the underlying vibe of the song.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

I also heard the song as more of a rock tune and was surprised to hear the focus on the synths in GT3s mix. Especially the heavy use of the synth guitar sound when there was that nice real guitar available :) I also tried to speed up the tempo from 92bpm to 95bpm, but wasn't happy with some of the artifacts I was getting so I gave up on that idea.

HEY!!! NO FAIR criticizing a bass player for his guitar solo!!! :mad: Although, I'm also curious why the original solo wasn't used. I thought the original was better, too. I guess Spacebass just wanted to have some fun replacing all the guitar and bass parts. Okely-dokely. I gots no problem with that. Jammin' mix, Spacebass! :cool:

[quote]I guess Spacebass just wanted to have some fun replacing all the guitar and bass parts.[/quote]Dat's why [b]I[/b] did it. :D Besides, I figured it would break up the monotony a bit, to have something different. After hearing the same tracks mixed different ways it was getting a bit predictable IMO.

no boss products....just an old unispired big muff. :rolleyes: i replaced all the parts cuz i was bored... and quite frankly found most of the playing on the original tracks to be rather questionable timing wise after i got lees drum tracks in the mix. thanks for all the kind words guys i did have fun with this and would like to do it again. i am not a bass player....but i can play bass.

oh yeah here is my session notes..... note * = sends in cubase. send one is the reverb32 that came with cubase. send two is the karlett free delay plugin. send three is the autopanner that came with cubase. first thing i did was listen to all the parts to see what i would use and what i would keep. next after fooling around with the rhythm tracks i decided to wait untill i got the drum tracks then i decided to redo the bass and guitars. so i started to play with the tracks i was going to keep. for the intro..... i loooped up and fixed 4 bars of the orginal drums in acid...reversed them in cool edit and eq'd the hell out em. this loop comes in here and there though out the song as well. tk.9 low shelf at 312hz -24db, boost at 4160hz wide Q 6.3 db tk.5 no eq....looped 8 bars, slight verb on send one* about 3/4 send on send two*, both post sends. tk.11 all wet, insert one scuzzphut6 plugin (i LUV this plug!) cut up in 16th's slight suffle with low pass filters. rez set around 70% cut off 24% with lfo modulation. i left this track "as is" in the intro it is a synth but for the rest of the song it is a lead guitar part that sounded really cool treated this way i said wtf....if it ain't broke.... eq'd 2000hz -3.3db, 12000hz +6.7db sent pre to send three* tk.13 intro and thru song. insert one phaser that came with cubase. 3/4 send to send one* 3/4 sned to send two*. no eq for the vox intro i copied it onto another track. insert one timeworks 8 band eq, 63hz -23db Q 0.10, 130hz -24db Q 0.11 250 hz +11.2 db Q 0.17 500hz +12db Q 0.10 1300hz +12db Q 0.10 5000 hz -13db Q 1 insert two blowfish compressor "close-up vocals" preset with a little tweeking. i mixed this track to a new track....put reverse verb on it....sent that to an auto panner and blended to taste. now for the rest of the song.....> i got lee's drum trax....sounded very good (great engineering) except for the "rap" part in which me and my partner (also a drummer thought he just kinda went off to much) so i copied the first verse for the "rap" part imho the drums needed very little but here is what i did.... kik... insert one waves ren 6 band eq 49hz +4.4db Q 0.80 151hz -18db Q 1.99 7885hz +4.9db Q 0.80 insert two blockfish comp "huge kik" preset tweeked to taste insert three waves rcl comp thresh -28.3 attack 12.6 release 5.00 ratio 6.26 gain make up 4.4 insert four timeworks 8 band eq 65hz +6.26db Q 2.43 94hz +2.81db Q 1.25 117hz -4.0db Q 12 500hz -8.3db Q 1 5000hz +2.81 db Q 1 snare.... insert one blockfish comp "huge kik" preset tweeked to taste eq, low shelf 172hz -24db, hi shelf 5733 -1.3db toms....nothing! over head... insert one blockfish comp "huge kik" preset tweeked to taste. eq, hi shelf 7621hz -24db room.... insert one blockfish comp "huge kik" preset tweeked to taste. eq, hi shelf 5716hz -16db vox.... insert one spl desser insert two waves rencomp attack 5.02 release 50.2 threshold -9.1 ratio 2.49 gain make up 5.6 insert three blockfish comp "vintage vox" prestes tweeked to taste. just a tinge sent to send one* and two* ....both pre eq, low shelf 68hz -24db rap vox pretty much same as intro without the backwards verb. all guitars where cut using a strat though a big muff, crybaby, and a digitech 2101 direct outs....all the amps were in the pre production studio....dooh! bass was cut with a danelectro longhorn into a electric mistress flanger. dry output direct. flange output into a bass micro synth....direct then low shelf eq 1000 -24db insert one cubase stereo chourus thats about as "in debth" as it gets for me.

[quote]Originally posted by spacebass: [b]i am not a bass player....but i can play bass.[/b][/quote]Oops! My bad. I guess I was reading too much into your screen name. ;) Anyway, like I said, jammin' mix! :thu: What's your main instrument? Guitar? Did I completely insert my foot in my mouth with my bass-player comment? :o If so, sorry. I love all the rhythm guitars, though.

no offense db man.....i'm just goofin on you. yeah i started playing guitar when i was 4 drums a 11 bass at 12 keys at 14 started recording at 15 will be 31 in a month thanks again peace2you bro

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b] [quote]Originally posted by alphajerk: [b]damn.... im fully digging spacebasses mix the best so far. too damn wicked.[/b][/quote]Ugh. I'm not mincing any words... I really DO NOT like that mix! But I can see how someone else might...the guitar leads are just so vapid :p [/b][/quote]dude, he rocked that shit. now excuse me while i listen again.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

[quote]but didn't make any melodic/harmonic boo-boo's[/quote]With all due respect GT3, you keep complaining about some changes people did as "boo boos" and "not fitting", for example the "Anon" mixes. That means you are listening with your old rythms and melodies stuck in the back of your head. Listen to Anons FUNk mix with a *clear* mind. There are no clashes or boo boo (although the horse-jazz drums on the rap doesnt fit too well, should have been in the hayfever mix) *grin* Just because you made the song doesn't mean you are right, y'know :D [quote]I just checked. I used about 18 dB at 200 Hz, another 13 dB at 2kHz[/quote]You BOOSTED the mud area? Whoah :) Hahaha. Yeah classical 60's sound. It's almost the 180 degree reverse of my drum EQ ;) [quote]I also checked vocal processing -- no EQ at all, just a lot of Waves L1.[/quote]Now THATS my kind of guy :) SLAM 'EM FLAT! [quote]chairs[/quote]Mine swivels - [url=http://www.master-zap.com/studio/][b]CLICK HERE[/b] to try it[/url] FUN MIX craig... but 1966... hmm. I wasn't even born... not until a year later.... *giggle* Now lads.... totally honestly, no shit, from all the mixes I heard (which is FAR FAR FAR from all, mind you!!!!)... apart from the Anon's Funk... I like mine the best. I'm not being cocky but that is my true honest opinion so far. Sorry lads :) Maybe that just is saying something about my broken ears or bad taste, I don't know. It's just how I feel. Again, not being cocky here, just blatantly honest. Maybe it's because - no offense to GT3 here - the song has several elements I didnt like and I only like the mixes with them taken out? *grin* *nudge* *wink* [b]EDIT[/b]: Whoah, spacebass! Rawki'n. You go under my umbrella of "good mixes". As soon as you faded that arpeggio out *giggle*. AND I LOVE THE SOLO!!!! /Z

[quote]Originally posted by Master Zap: [b] [quote]but didn't make any melodic/harmonic boo-boo's[/quote]With all due respect GT3, you keep complaining about some changes people did as "boo boos" and "not fitting", for example the "Anon" mixes. That means you are listening with your old rythms and melodies stuck in the back of your head. Listen to Anons FUNk mix with a *clear* mind. There are no clashes or boo boo (although the horse-jazz drums on the rap doesnt fit too well, should have been in the hayfever mix) *grin* Just because you made the song doesn't mean you are right, y'know :D [b]EDIT[/b]: Whoah, spacebass! Rawki'n. You go under my umbrella of "good mixes". As soon as you faded that arpeggio out *giggle*. AND I LOVE THE SOLO!!!! /Z[/b][/quote]Ultimately, it's cool if some people had some fun mixing the song. But, I'm right, it was a "booboo". If somebody went in the studio and recorded over the original "Louie Louie" guitar part and played "I IV V VI" there would be some major harmonic clashes. And as far as the spacebass solo goes... there's no "story". It's totally unmemorable. Everybody's entitled to their opinons, and if I feel that something clashes, it's my right to point it out. :p :p

I have to agree with GT3. There are definitely clashes in some of the remixes where melodies were changed.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

As an addendum to my last post, I guess if it was a harmonic clash, that I liked the result of I wouldn't complain. For example, there were some moments that Craig "harmonized" the vocal that were a little bit hairy...but the were [i]suppossed[/i] to be. I guess the ones that I'm referring to are the ones that sound unintentional, but mostly Spacebass's version of the bridge. As far as Loudists/Anon's (they ARE the same person, right?) stuff goes...it's suppossed to be out there, so it's cool.

Well, for me the main focus was the songstructure first. That was the most important for me. I appraoch a re-mix like this with the objective to make it as accessible as possible without losing the original idea of the song. And to try and make it so it would ahve a chance at radioplay. One of the problems I have with some of the mixes is that the focus for some people was to try and make it wacky or weird. Not that wacky and weird is bad or wrong, but I find that the actual vibe and idea of the song got lost along the way.

IMDB Credit list

Archived