Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along...

I really appreciate Halljams's comments. Good stuff! Now I gotta listen to his mix. I feel that my mix is just a raw rock'n'roll mix. It's really still a rough mix, in my book. I'd say it's only about 75% done, but it has some energy and decent guitar tones. It's kind of a "kitchen sink" mix, and could've/should've been refined quite a bit, IMO. I'm not satisfied with my drum tones, especially the snare. Oh, well. My mix is all done in Cakewalk PA9 with no outboard gear. I obviously used/abused Eskil's drum tracks, and I re-tracked the bass guitar to make it fit Eskil's drums a little better. I only spent about 20 minutes learning and recording the bassline, so it could've been much better than it is. Ah, excuses, excuses, my mix is what it is. Rawk'n'roll! I sure would love to have all of these mastered by the same person, as mentioned above. That would be a GREAT point of reference, IMO. Or, maybe a couple different MEs could master each mix, and then we'd have a point of comparison between possible mastering results.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I listened to everything posted so far. All today again. My ears are bleeding. :freak: Anyway. There are quite a lot of really cool things going on with the different mixes. This being my first attempt at anything of this magnatude I can't nit pic very much. I will listen more and pick out what I like about the different takes. I'm listened out today though. FWIW. The stuff I worked with is pretty cheap & basic. I imported the tracks into n-Track Studio and used plug-ins to do what I thought best. any eq'ing was done with n_Track's ParametricEQ. I used Blockfish to compress, Rubytube and n_Tracks echo and chorus in places. Also a bit of SThe first mix was with the existing drums stuff. The last was with Eskil's drums. Sorry man, It's my first time with real drums. :D Good fun...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Interesting note about the tracks being dark. I didn't mention it before, but I ran my final through T-Racks with a gentle compression and a high-end shelf at 8.5k, because I thought that it seemed a bit dark at the end. In my case, I had to do the whole mix in the middle of the night with a pair of AKG headphones, so after repeated listening I was so familliar with the tracks that the high-end loss was not really apparent. Even listening on the NS10s it wasn't really apparent, except that I did prefer the high-end boost when it was present. So maybe the familiarity was a little misleading?

Yeah, I think a lot of used this event to do things that we don't normally get to do. In my case, I rarely mix stuff that I didn't record, and rarely do I make decisions about the arrangement at mixdown. So I mostly focused on listening to the tracks that were available, and picking out the elements that I thought would make a good arrangement. That was the fun part to me. I also decided to track the drums entirely with the AW4416's preamps, and to mix without any outboard gear either. Therefore, given limited time I was more focused on the arrangement decisions than the actual sonics. I messed with the bass quite a bit, but otherwise left most of the tracks fairly natural with just a little bit of EQ, compression and reverb.

[quote]I loved the humor in your treatments but I also wondered about the obvious harmonic & rythmic conflicts with the vocal, [/quote]Could you be a bit more specific? I didn't use the same changes, but the melody works with what I had (I thought). Which rythem clashes? [quote] They're awfully loopy, too, they sound to me like they were done with some sort of auto-music creation program, like a high-tech version of the old hold-one-key-down-to-play-a-song home organs from the '60s & '70s. That said, I was also quite impressed with the speed with which you cranked them out. Do you mind saying what you used? [/quote]Thank you (i think?) They took about 5 or 6 hours each in Acid 4. I agree that they are repeditive (loopy). To remove that repetitive element would have taken another 5 hours each remix at the least, although sometimes repitition is fine. [b]Fonk[/b] is 39 tracks with 3 tracks being original, Vocal and EGT's [b]Rockability[/b] is 20 tracks with the same 3 original elements. [b]Rawk[/b] mix is 32 tracks with the 3.... you know. Masterlabbed to process and generate the WMF files.

Hey Anon, while people are gving you some grief, I'll tell you I listened to one other mix 1st and thought ugh, and almost blew off checking the others out, but then I thought well one more and luckily clicked on yours and they are what compelled me to check out the rest. Whether remixes or whatever, I'm no purist, I thought what you did brought the material to life and, illustrated how arrangement can help a track, and also illustrated interesting treatments of the same material - I thought what you did showed a good deal of imagination. :thu:

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

[quote]Originally posted by = stevepow =: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Soundscape Studios: [b]Steve - that synth pad is mine! I replaced GT's with a stereo Triton pad....[/b][/quote]that would explain it - you bum :D BTW, that panned, double vox is pretty cool. So the bass was yours, the ac gtr, the pad, the synth lead - what else? you did this in 2 hrs at lunch? got any stuff you spent some time on to listen to?[/b][/quote]Well, most of the stuff I do is religious in theme (if you a long time poster, you would recall that I am a Rabbi), so I don't know if it's up anyone's ally here. I also have no idea how to post an mp3, so I would need some direction with that; but if you really want to hear something, I could post it.... Oh, I did just finish a radio spot on WABC/770 in NYC for Cucumber Communications. It's on the Sean Hannity show during drive time - if you want to hear it....

[quote] Well, most of the stuff I do is religious in theme (if you a long time poster, you would recall that I am a Rabbi), so I don't know if it's up anyone's ally here.[/quote]So I'm reading your reply thinking well, music is usually about something - why would that be so bad...all the while I'm not really paying attention to the Doobie Bros banging out [i]Jesus is Just Alright[/i] in the background - but eventually as I'm pondering, I notice it. Weird timing. I don't know if that is [i]really[/i] a religious piece or not - one of my favs though. I reckon if that's all they did, I'd probably get sick of hearing about it, but whatever. At any rate for 2hrs work, pretty amazing. Post a link if you get the MP3 sorted out. If no one likes it, they can not listen to it again ;)

www.bullmoondigital.com

That's funny, I never thought of "Fate of the heart" as being a religious theme. Actually, most of the stuff I do is in Hebrew, so it wouldn't make much sense to anyone. That being said, there is some awesome stuff that we have worked on, which bridge many styles, and fuse alot of elements of popular music into a contemporary Jewish theme. It's actually interesting stuff... As for the two hours, I pretty much know where I am going in the studio, and can visualize things pretty quickly. I can also BURN on a vs-1680 which adds to the speed factor. That will all change now though.... I just got a 2.4 Dell w/1 Gig of RAM, 230 GB hard drive running Nuendo, and about $15,000 worth of plug-ins. I'm DREADING learning the system, but it's about time I grew up (I AM 23 you know....). The thought of a DAW for some crazy reason just dosen't sit well with me. I'm good with tech, so that's not it.. It's just the switchover blues, I guess.

A 23 y.o. Rabbi that can whip out a steller mix while adding a few tracks in two hours and now getting $15,000 of plug-ins for a Nuendo setup? You're just making all this up as you go, right? :rolleyes: I have a Nuendo system. All the Waves Stuff plus a UAD and Powercore (with the Sony stuff added on) will probably come to under $4K. Maybe add the PSP stuff too - still under $4K. So what in the world did you get for that setup - a Magma box with a few more TCs and UADs? Nuendo is a great setup. If you have a well built computer, it can be really solid and super easy to work on. The way I got comfortable with what it could do was dumping 24 tracks at a time from DA78 into it. A lot less scary than jumping in and tracking a band. After I got my confidence up, I switched over with no regrets.

www.bullmoondigital.com

Steve, any opinion on my mix? :) Did I blow one of your woofers? :cool: - - - As for the other mixes, I listened to a few. - I agree with halljams one should really start with the "at home" lyrics. I actually did this originally but couldn't really stay away from including the intro in the end, although it "does take bloody long to kick in gear" tho. - Lee's drummer guy... uh. Hmm. I like what he did for most of the song EXCEPT during the rap. What WAS that? Did he chew a shroom too many. That needs to GROOVE, not skip-jerk like a horny teen-pony on a spring field!? OUCH BLECH! (I think d'Gauss came to the same conclusoin, I think he used those drums for everything but the rap break?)´ - If the "Funk Mix" by "Anon" hadn't done that wierd rythm thing during the rap and instead gone down to a phatso groove, it would have been the total murderer, killing all competition mixes there, no contest. Apart from that detail - IT TOTALLY RAWKS. It solves all the problems of the original song (too damned slow, to un-tight rythmically, e.t.c.) and in a snappy little package too. Just need that rap section tweaked and it's a radio hit. - - - More comments as I listen to more. I'm on a slow and expensive connection.... Also, had I had infinite time doing this I would probably have used more tracks but they were in dire dire dire need of cut'n'splice to fix the timing. Even the tracks I did use needed more fixing than I gave 'em, IMHO. /Z

Zap - I thought yours was the one with Barry White on the intro - guess not. Oh yes, the Bass and Vox mix - mostly :D I like the vox treatment but it sounded like you hated the guitars so much that you just couldn't make yourself pull up the faders. You got the drums sounding snappy, not so dead. What are you doing on V1 where he says "frown" - that swirly sound way back there - is that guitar? Pretty cool sound. Didn't you say you didn't finish this mix? It seems like it was headed in the right direction with good vox, bass, and drums. I'd sure love to hear the orignal material so I could tell what you guys had to work with vs. what was added - or left out :eek: Who was it that started with drums instead of the synth - D Gauss? I think - best intro.

www.bullmoondigital.com

Hey - WTF is it with the Acid Planet thing? I wanted to hear Anon's remixes (since everyone seems to dig them so much) but you gotta have a Windows box to listen? And you can't d/l without registration? :mad: Isn't there a standard here, folks? Not everyone in the world is on the M$ tit...

[quote]Originally posted by = stevepow =: [QB]As I said cool stuff. Some of my general impressions: Only a few of the mixes translate well in my room - on the Meyers or Genelecs as compared to commercial CDs and I try to listen to at least 20 artists a day in my room from Rock to Jazz to Classical to Rap so that I'll know how my speakers are supposed to sound. Many of the mixes sound bass heavy or thick in the middle - one that does not as I recall is D Gauss's - that one seems pretty close to how similar styled commercial CDs sound on my system Same goes for Anon's stuff - a few other worked OK. Only one a few seem to have managed to bring the drum tracks to life, while many sound boxy and dull. QB][/quote]One of the opportunites here is to get a good sampling of perspectives on the "too deep versus too bright" issue. Of course, different genres these days span quite a range with respect to this - Ja Rule versus Aerosmith for instance. Nevertheless I propose we all comment on this aspect of the mixes - Id find this really valuable. Stevepow- interesting that you found most of em to be too deep. Id expect a more even distribution from this random sample - Despite your comments about listening to a range of material to stay calibrated - perhaps your frame of reference is different somehow?

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

[quote]Originally posted by ChristopherKemp: [b]Hey - WTF is it with the Acid Planet thing? I wanted to hear Anon's remixes (since everyone seems to dig them so much) but you gotta have a Windows box to listen? And you can't d/l without registration? :mad: Isn't there a standard here, folks? Not everyone in the world is on the M$ tit...[/b][/quote]sorry, I think winamp can play wmf files though... and mac suggestions? If not, I will research a free site deal to post mp3's...

[quote]Originally posted by = stevepow =: [b]A 23 y.o. Rabbi that can whip out a steller mix while adding a few tracks in two hours and now getting $15,000 of plug-ins for a Nuendo setup? You're just making all this up as you go, right? :rolleyes: I have a Nuendo system. All the Waves Stuff plus a UAD and Powercore (with the Sony stuff added on) will probably come to under $4K. Maybe add the PSP stuff too - still under $4K. So what in the world did you get for that setup - a Magma box with a few more TCs and UADs? Nuendo is a great setup. If you have a well built computer, it can be really solid and super easy to work on. The way I got comfortable with what it could do was dumping 24 tracks at a time from DA78 into it. A lot less scary than jumping in and tracking a band. After I got my confidence up, I switched over with no regrets.[/b][/quote]Well, the NY market is very competitive, and I need this kind of stuff to keep clients. Fortunately, rates are higher here in the metro area to justify that kind of thing. In any case, $15,000 dosen't go that far today. Here is what I have - Powercore -$1,000 Waves Platinum - 1,500.00 Waves Restoration - $800 Auto Tune - $300 T-Racks - $200 Rebirth - $150 Reason - $250 GigaStudio - $550 FM7 - $300 Pro 52 - $150 Kontakt - $350 The Grand - $200 Bomb factory Vintage FX - $1,000 Mc DSP - $500 0range Vocoder - $200 Plus alot more....Maybe $15,000 is a little high of an estimate, but it's definitely 10G's :cry: :cry: :cry:

[quote]Originally posted by Soundscape Studios: [b]That's funny, I never thought of "Fate of the heart" as being a religious theme. Actually, most of the stuff I do is in Hebrew, so it wouldn't make much sense to anyone. That being said, there is some awesome stuff that we have worked on, which bridge many styles, and fuse alot of elements of popular music into a contemporary Jewish theme. It's actually interesting stuff...[/b][/quote]The original lyrics start out "In church, in school...can't help but break the rules..." ;)

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Steve, FWIW, Zap didn't use the live drum tracks that I recorded here. What was furnished were a couple of electronic drum tracks, plus a couple of tracks of live drums that GT3 played himself. Steve and Zap: d gauss did not use Eskil's (my drummer friend) tracks either. They had not been recorded yet at the time he (or Zap) did their mixes. In d gauss' case he has his own drum kit and recorded the drum tracks himself, for his mix. I agree that the drum tracks I furnished are kind of dark. In fact my kit in general is a little darker than most "modern" drum sounds, but that's what I like about it. :D And Zap, I happen to really like what Eskil did during the rap breakdown, so there. :p

Regarding Steve Powell's observations, I can't say since I still haven't heard many mixes (I heard two), but I'd have to say that I think that my mix is a bit on the dense thick side and the drums are a wee bit muddy. I think it's my fault. I definitely did not spend enough time with this, and that's how it sounds on my little monitors (Yorkville YSM-1s and Radio Shack Optimus Tower speakers in an untreated room). Usually, I carve away at the low mids, but I didn't really do that here.

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Steve, FWIW, Zap didn't use the live drum tracks that I recorded here. What was furnished were a couple of electronic drum tracks, plus a couple of tracks of live drums that GT3 played himself. Steve and Zap: d gauss did not use Eskil's (my drummer friend) tracks either. They had not been recorded yet at the time he (or Zap) did their mixes. In d gauss' case he has his own drum kit and recorded the drum tracks himself, for his mix. I agree that the drum tracks I furnished are kind of dark. In fact my kit in general is a little darker than most "modern" drum sounds, but that's what I like about it. :D And Zap, I happen to really like what Eskil did during the rap breakdown, so there. :p [/b][/quote]Shit - well, at least I know I'm not hearing things. These are confusing to listen to and comment on because of the liberal approaches used - not that there's anything wrong with that - and my lack of familiarity with the tracks. I like dark drums too - did you use one of those crappy Gretsch kits? I hope not. :p Snare needs to crack though to get me going, some people managed to get it - maybe by CHEATING :eek: I'll have to listen again when I feel like hearing that tune in my heard for 3 or 4 days again. I know I was not one of "the forty". For we outsiders ;) , a "proof" mix would be a sweetie. S'Scape - what a bloody nice rig and yes - depressing to see you recount those numbers. Please don't do that.

www.bullmoondigital.com

If anyone is interested here is a little info from a note I sent to DBunny for the "new version of my mix that he just posted on Monday. [quote]I did not have a chance to send this off on Friday so here is the updated mix for me. I did not remix it and was trying to work on my straight mixing skills rather than my mixmastering... I never got around to D/L'ing Lee's drummer's stuff. It's not as cool as I would have liked but it's way better than the first version I gave you. I went for more of a live arena rock sort of thing... There was a lot of tomfoolery in the area of EQ on most of the tracks and many, many VST effects. Some vocal doubling etc. I think the thing I most like is the sound I managed out of the Organ. Ran that through the Cubase Rotary emulator and mucked around with it for awhile. That and the Guitars are processed heavily with a global overdrive on them all at their mix bus. Other interesting things include lots of tape style Karlette delays on the tacks (also Cubase) for a more old school sound on the instruments. Loads of fun! Still, it would have been fun if I had had time to crack open Reason and export all of the tracks into that and ReCycle... [/quote]Thanks, - DJDM

<> By all means, please post it! This was definitely a mix, not a remix, no elements other than the tracks you sent. I had a real fun time mixing it, I was trying to mix it like an outtake from Highway 61 Revisited. And I really like the song :)

[b]Craig,[/b] I'll try to get your MP3 posted by tonight, as well as a few others, if I have time to encode their MP3s. To date, I have received CDs from: [b]Craig, Urk10, Hush, 20to20, Soundscape, Kendrix, d-dmusic, Ken/Eleven,[/b] and I think that's it, off the top of my head. I'll double-check and re-post tonight when I get home. Some people have elected to upload their mix to their web site as a Shorten file, for me to retreive. So, that is also a viable option, if you have the resources. I have recieved mixes this way from [b]Lee Flier, Mr.Darling, and Chris Kemp.[/b]

Archived