Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along...

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b] Some people have elected to upload their mix to their web site as a Shorten file, for me to retreive. So, that is also a viable option, if you have the resources. I have recieved mixes this way from [b]Lee Flier, Mr.Darling, and Chris Kemp.[/b][/b][/quote]How do I do that? I would liek to do it also. Do I need an access passowrd etc?

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, Henchy, if you can FTP stuff up to your site, desolationproductions.com, then you can do this. First, you'll need to compress the wave file with the program Shorten, which I believe you used to decompress the original GT3 tracks. Then just use your FTP program (Dreamweaver, or whatever) to upload the file. Then PM me, so I can d/l it. If you do NOT have to ability to FTP files to your site, you'll need to get your webmaster to do it for you, or just send me a CD like most folks. Does that answer your question?

Subspace! Cool mix, but.. The bridge of the song is: |F |G/F |Amin/F |G/F |F |G/F |G || The bass is the pedal tone and the other guitar and synth parts come together to make ascending inversions of each of the chords. I only point this out b/c it sounds like you attempted to replay the guitar parts, but kind of did a F to G back and forth thing. I don't know about that guitar solo either :p I definitely get a kick out of it though.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]<> By all means, please post it! This was definitely a mix, not a remix, no elements other than the tracks you sent. I had a real fun time mixing it, I was trying to mix it like an outtake from Highway 61 Revisited. And I really like the song :) [/b][/quote]Now that is a deluxe Mix - no wonder you are in charge :thu:

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Craig's mix : This is why they pay him the big bucks ! :D Vocals very up-front and slightly right of center(if I'm not mistaken) Sounds like Craig copied and pasted then delayed the tracks slightly to give that nice WIDE vocal sound. More than that though, Craig has got a really nice "air" frequency to the VOX noticeable on F's and S's. How'd ya' get that ? or is that a secret ? Very Nice ! Cool use of delay on the Bass in the first breakdown part making it more rhythmic. BIG and WIDE. Great job ! Spacebass MIX : New GTR parts everywhere including a new solo ! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Really good stuff and a really nice mix overall. The only thing I would do differently would be to get rid of the verb on the WAH, WAH GTR in the RAP section. It washes it out and dilutes the rhythmic quality a bit. Again this mix belongs in a different category(if you want to compare notes/techniques) because of all the new parts.
eightyeightkeys

<> You got it, exactly. <> I really didn't do much EQ on the voice but did a lot of limiting to bring up those subtleties. <> The delay on the bass actually goes all the way through the song. I had a problem with the bass being out of time but adding synched delay gives the psycho-acoustic effect of tighter timing. <> Yeah, I like BIG mixes! BTW the drums used the most radical EQ I have ever used on any part in any song over my entire career . I think I used somewhere around +20 dB in the lower mids and a radical notch at the high end to tame the high hat.

Craig: [img]http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/nosmile/claps.gif[/img] [img]http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/nosmile/claps.gif[/img] [img]http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/nosmile/claps.gif[/img] [img]http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/nosmile/claps.gif[/img]

Yeah, Kudos to Craig! I have only heard a little less than half the mixes, but of the more "remix-ish" type, I think Craig really did well. He stamped his own personality on it, but didn't make any melodic/harmonic boo-boo's. I wonder what Craig was using for echo/verb.

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Bunny, :thu: [/b][/quote]Thanks. Was that for my efforts, or my mix? :) [b]d-dmusic[/b], I promise I'll get an MP3 of your mix posted ASAP! (Remember, there's a conspiracy against the Canadian participants! ;) )

Really interesting to hear your mix GT3! :thu: The first thing that struck me was the vocal treatment. I thought it worked pretty well. I know I considered doing something as 'drasic' but decided I didn't want to do that without input from the artist himself. A little bit ironic huh? ;) That's OK, those were the ground rules that I set for myself.

[quote]Originally posted by Sal ©: [b]Really interesting to hear your mix GT3! :thu: The first thing that struck me was the vocal treatment. I thought it worked pretty well. I know I considered doing something as 'drasic' but decided I didn't want to do that without input from the artist himself. A little bit ironic huh? ;) That's OK, those were the ground rules that I set for myself.[/b][/quote]The vocal harmony thing on the intro was inspired by Quincy Jones's Back On The Block album.

<> I just checked. I used about 18 dB at 200 Hz, another 13 dB at 2kHz, and a radical roll off starting at about 4 kHz. It should sound awful, but it brings out the personality of the drums, I think. I did two drum tracks, the other has similar settings but the big boost in the bass range is at 100 Hz. <> The reverb was the WaveArts Masterverb DX. Nice verb, BTW. I also checked vocal processing -- no EQ at all, just a lot of Waves L1.

It didn't sound like Graig had done any vocal eq. When I recorded my vocals I added about 1db at 12k, using the hhb voice channel outfitted w/ either nos sylvania or rca tubes. I also compressed the voice using a low ratio, and the second fastest attack and release settings.

[quote]Originally posted by ChristopherKemp: [b]Hey Craig - What kind of chair were you sitting in? Swivel or fixed? Padded or hard-assed? :D :freak: [/b][/quote]What the fuck is that ? Everything is going along just great and someone has to take things in this juvenile direction ? Are you in grade 9 ? I've always been curious about the sound of various DAWS and since my current Soundcard will not be supported under OSX I'm gathering info along the way. After all, that is the purpose of this whole mixing event. That is, to exchange information on techiniques, gear etc.... I suppose that you also found my comments/questions about the limiter on the vocals supremely kiss ass as well. O.K. That's it everyone. NO MORE QUESTIONS FOR CRAIG ! Every question from now on will be regarded as ass kissing. Good thing we didn't get anymore heavyweights to participate. We certainly would not want to bring our ass kissing quotient up at the expense of ACTUALLY LEARNING SOMETHING. !!!
eightyeightkeys

Archived