Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along...

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK here are some of my comments. I couldn't get through them all in one sitting. My ears got tired. Remember most of this is just my opinion. I'm not a professional and I don't even play one on tv. ;) Sorry if they sound negative... It's just easier to pick out what I see as problems. I would have preferred to make comments off of the CD but I didn't want to wait that long. I think listening to MP3s contributed to my early fatigue. I heard alot of creative things in these mixes and was very impressed. I don't know how well some of these things served the song but they sounded cool. Anon (Wewus???) I thought the remixes where really clever. Funk was really cool. Guitar Rock could have used a chord chang or modulation, something. It was a little monotone. Rockabilly was just plain funny and the vocals really worked well. Henchman Nice begininng. Vox could be louder when the drums come in. Cool breakdown. Didn't like the eq on the HiHat, but that's personal preference. Master Zap Very minimalist. Was a cool way to start. When you start to bring in new elements they need to be louder. especially the guitar solo. Uncle Milty Gotta get rid of the noise at the start. Drums could use a little EQing. Drums where very mono. Could use a better balance of the instruments. The drums were too loud. dGauss I liked the harmonies. Cool reverse cymbal. Vocal starts to get burried a little at 1:29. I liked all the elements you added and the arrangement. Something about the snare I didn't like... there may have been a phase problem? Would have liked a little meatier snare. MrDarling The filtered drums in the beginning are cool. I may have had the effect a little subtler not so extreme. Good balance of instuments. The bass may be a bit too out front?? Good placement of instuments. The end was a little rough. Josep Tvrdy Over all very Nice. The harmonies were a little strange. DirtyDog vocal is a little muffled at the start. Very mono. Drums could use a little eq. good balance of instuments. Hush :wave: Perfect ;-) ;) Actually I would change the pan of the drums in the beginning so it was opposite the synth and add a little more bass. And maybe not have the stereo spread so wide Lee Flier Nice over all balance.. I would have EQd the drums a little. They sound like they're in a small room. riffing drums are a little masked. need to notch some space for them. Vocals a little burried too. Noise in a couple of place need to be cleaned up(I know it's nit picking but I heard a couple of things. One at :37 one at 1:43 two at 2:19). I hope to have the rest of my comments tomorrow. Marc
Searching for a new sig

Hey guys, Thanks for the comments on my mix. I guess you see that I took a completely different direction here. The challenge was to transform a gritty, guitar driven track, into a smooth pop single. Interesting to note that I've seen posts about how some people spent a full day on this! Wow, I wish I had that much time to spend on this. I was only able to give it my lunch break (2 hrs). Regarding the comments by Kendrix - [b]Great inerplay with the synth bass sound. [/b] Ummm, the Bass is a Fretless....... [b]Panning the snare to one side bothered me a bit. [/b] Well, I had to make some space for the rhythm - it would have been mono otherwise... [b]Vocal effect change around 2:20 real nice effect [/b] Ummm.... what vocal effect? Maybe it was my Palindrometer?? The vocal just had a light 'verb -that's about it! No changes thruout the song... [b]Loved the synth sound introduced around 3:00[/b] That sound is my Jordan Rudess/Dream Theater/Liquid Tension influence coming through. The patch is very similar to Jordan's standard Kurzweil sound, and I like to use that patch as my main lead instrument. There's alot more riffs where that came from! [b]Loved the overall sound management.[/b] Thanks man, I appreciate the critique!

I had a feeling that was going to happen to [i]somebody[/i], so I've been downloading everyone's mp3s just for this purpose. I've now uploaded Spacebass's mp3 to my site, and changed the link. It should be good now. And Spacebass's mix is great, so have fun! :thu:

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b]I had a feeling that was going to happen to [i]somebody[/i], so I've been downloading everyone's mp3s just for this purpose. I've now uploaded Spacebass's mp3 to my site, and changed the link. It should be good now. And Spacebass's mix is great, so have fun! :thu: [/b][/quote]hmm what format is mpga? oh, well. boy some of these are really cool. Anon, you rule!

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

sorry be out of the loop for engginering week. ( I am almost dead ... mmm beeer) I will send it later today ... what do I send it to ? Ihave a FTP serverI can post it there, ... but you need to arrage a time, cause it is not up and running very much.

[b]d-dmusic:[/b] I posted toward the bottom of page two of this thread that I received your CD. I probably should have PM'ed you, too. Sorry about the confusion. I'll try to get an MP3 posted ASAP. [b]EVERYBODY:[/b] When you're finished with your mix, PM me and I'll give you the address to send the CD to. Thanks.

I found that too, Bunny. Use your eraser, man!! :D About my mix - I thought the wav was OK, but when I heard it here at work (on my crappy speakers) it sounded just a little rough. I encoded an mp3 & listened, and it sounded REALLY bad. I used BladeEnc, which uses L.A.M.E to encode/decode mp3. Anybody have experience with mp3s regarding distortion from the process? Aside from them not sounding so hot (I prefer Ogg Vorbis myself) can it exacerbate distortion in a signal dramatically? ---Also: any recommendations for encoding on a Mac? If I could have figured that out last night, I would have heard it then.

[quote]Originally posted by ChristopherKemp: [b]I found that too, Bunny. Use your eraser, man!! [/b][/quote]I'll get right on that. Been getting kazillions of PMs lately, for some reason. ;) [quote][b]I used BladeEnc, which uses L.A.M.E to encode/decode mp3. [/b][/quote]You used a program called "LAME" to encode your MP3s? And you're surprised at being dissatisfied with the results??? :D :p :D

I got through all the mixes today. Wow, what a variety of approaches! this is cool! Is there an idea as to how we will discuss each others mixes. i have several comments. Things i liked and things that struck me as funny or what ever from many of the mixes. I will have to go through them again one by one and take notes though. dBunny, has this been discussed? Everyone probly needs a bit of a break from the tune to get some perspective. Should we come back to it next month sametime or somethin? Ps, Lee F... my apologies for opting to not use the drums you so graciously provided, but the first session i did on the tune i used these loops with a more "strait beat" and i just couldn't let go of that groove once i got used to it. Cool tracks though. Thanks again. :) I noticed many people did a strait mix. I have been pretty sick with a cold the last few days and had alot of time to mess with stuff so i guess i cheated alot. I only used the tracks and portions of that GT3 provided except...... -i replayed the bass track note for note. -used 2 extra loops for the drums. cheers

[quote]Originally posted by halljams: [b]Everyone probly needs a bit of a break from the tune to get some perspective. Should we come back to it next month sametime or somethin?[/b][/quote]I have listened to all the mixes that have been posted to date. I feel that I need to regain some perspective. I'd like to get through one day without the song getting stuck in my brain! ;) I won't be listening to them again till next week. Maybe I'll make some comments then...

I agree with what Halljams and dirtydog are saying. I think we probably need some perspective. I will probably wait until next week to post my notes, also. [quote]Originally posted by dirtydog [b]I'd like to get through one day without the song getting stuck in my brain.[/quote][/b] That quote pretty much says it all! I've had the progression from the guitar solo on a non-stop loop in my head for DAYS now. WEEKS, even! I need some PERSPECTIVE!!! :freak: :D

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b] :eek: And [b]WOW[/b], Ken/Eleven!!! :eek: Those mixes are great, guys! VERY original, both of you, in VERY different ways![/b][/quote]Thanks for all your work, and thanks for the compliment. I'm really not trying to be overly modest, but honestly, I am not so happy with my mix, especially the vocals (I think it's okay). I wanted to get the vocals a little warmer and thicker and just didn't have the time. It was my FIRST time mixing on a DAW ever :eek: , and definitely the FIRST time on Pro Tools LE (on a DAW, I usually edit, maybe add a couple of things here and there, but otherwise mix and track exclusively in the analog domain). I also haven't mixed someone's else's song in over ten years. A LOT of firsts. It was fun but difficult and challenging because I didn't know how to work the controls very well. I liked it and can definitely see why people like working on DAWs, but honestly, I found myself missing my analog board quite a few times. I think it was a great learing experience for me because at least I feel a little more comfortable on PT LE now!!! I think it is so cool that people can share files so easily, even if the DAWs are not compatible. I never realized that you could break apart the files like that and have someone else easily assemble them. Wow!!! SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE MIX: Anyway, the mix that I have on there was done with no editing or cutting and pasting. Nothing was added. I spent 4 hours on the mix. I thought I would just do a regular mix without any slicing and dicing and cutting and pasting, just for the challenge of it. The end on my mix goes on for a little long, but I was having fun experimenting with the delays and reverbs on the drums. Weeeeeee! EQUIPMENT USED: I don't know if people are sharing this sort of stuff yet, but if someone is compiliing the information, I used a Mac G4 466 MHz with Digi001/Pro Tools LE to mix the song. Monitors are Yorkville YSM-1s and (don't laugh) Radio Shack Optimus Tower speakers, both powered by a Kenwood A/V 100-watt stereo receiver. Yes, I know I need new monitoring equipment...in time, in time... THE SONG: I thought it was catchy. My girlfriend said that even though it didn't sound exactly like Elvis Costello, she said that for some reason the song reminded her of him. Personally, I don't know WHO it sounds like!! Thank you again for the compliment, and thank you for all the work that you have been doing on this fun project!!

[quote]Originally posted by Rim: [b]Ken/Eleven Shadows, I like how made it sound more techno! Although I wonder if the vox would sound better with more reverb.[/b][/quote]Yeah, probably. To be honest, I think the vocals got short shrift. I EQ'd them a little, and I *think* I added a little light compression, light reverb, but yeah, I went light on the reverb. I dunno...you're probably right, but I mixed the whole bloody thing in about 4 hours and should have spent more time on it. Ah, well... I remember thinking that the middle "breakdown" part should really stand out. I liked that part, and wanted it to really stick out so when it got to that part, it would be really different from what had come before. I also really liked the loop, and that together with the voice sounded really great to me. I still haven't listened to any of the mixes yet, so I am really looking forward to that. I would like to hear GT3's mix. Thank you for the compliment and suggestion!

Archived