Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along...

<> I expected some people to like my mix, some people not to like it, and some people to feel ambivalent about it. That would be consistent with ALL previous experiences with reactions to my music . Frankly, I had a really good time mixing the tune, and continue to have a good time listening to the various mixes. I seem to have the reverse problem of some here: I like ALL the mixes I've heard so far for one reason or another. I think it's important to realize that a mix is not always "better" or "worse" than another one, but just "different." What fascinates me about this whole thing is how one tune can undergo so many different interpretations. THAT'S what makes it fun. If all the mixes ended up the same, I wouldn't have enjoyed it very much. <> I copied the vocal to another track and trimmed everything except for a few words before the spaces. These words would echo, but there was nothing being to sent to the echo when the main vocal was going on. This is the kind of thing that would drive me CRAZY when I had to do it manually with a send control, but drawing envelopes made it a piece of cake. << Maybe D-DMusic [my current fav - nice thing about not having my own mix - I can have a new fav everyday if I like], or Craig, or some of the others who pulled off really nice mixes will bless us with their wisdom in your absenses ... >> I really don't have any great pearls of wisdom, the main reason for the weird drum EQ was to bring down the high-hat. Also, I cut out snares and used them for those staccato intros just before verses and such. The "cymbal" crash was actually the backward hi-hat thing with a decay. The coolest trick, I think, was where I took a bass phrase, copied it, then followed it with a reversed version just before the dramatic "That's just the fate...of the heart." It turned a downward bass slide into a down-and-up slide. I do this a fair amount on my own music, it leads to kind of a nice symmetry. But mostly, I just listened to the song, and heard more of a Small Faces type mix than the Eagles, know what I mean? Once I started in that direction, the object was to make it loose and fun. << And as for asskissing craig.. heh. I didn't perceve has mix as "serious" so if it's spaced out 60's it's kinda a joke. Like I said his drum EQ was 180 degrees from mine >> Actually it was not a joke, I did not take it lightly and wanted to produce a good mix. BUT I also wanted to take an angle that I didn't think anyone else would take, because that would contribute to the spirit of having all these different interpretations. As probably one of the few people here who was actually alive during the 60s , I thought it would be cool to do it from that perspective. As I've said before, if ya like it, great! If you don't, that's fine too, there are plenty of other mixes to choose from and one of them is sure to make you smile. Which I think is the whole point, right? I didn't mix that tune to impress anyone, I mixed it to have fun. And I did!! And some of you had fun listening to it. What more could I ask? << dBunny has been the most level headed and sane one here, and should be commended on his efforts. >> dBunny is way cool. Thumbs up up up. << I pulled up Craig's mix again to compare. Firstly, there is a level difference [as well as how the VOX sit in the mix, etc...] so I needed to compensate a bit..... BUT..... more than a level difference Craig's mix is more "forward". Mastering could be a difference but that's not it.>> Hmmm...I wonder what you mean by "forward." I think perhaps the difference is that I was moving level faders on many of the tracks CONSTANTLY during the mix. The drums were always in motion, it was basically manual gain-riding to choose specific tracks to fill in the spaces. That's probably why it sounds "loud" yet didn't have the dynamics squashed too badly. Now, a story about constructive criticism: I posted a tune on my web site called "The Miami Beat" a while ago. Zap said he didn't like the mastering and sent me an MP3 of how he remastered it. Truthfully, I didn't care for his mastering job in total, BUT he did some things that I thought *definitely* enhanced the song. Also, Anifa chimed in, said she really liked it, but it started to drag toward the end. I re-listened and she was right. Sooo...I sort of "split the difference" with Zap's mastering job, fattening up the low end a bit and doing some multiband compression to do some artful "squashing," and did a little bit of key modulation toward the end that was like adding a fresh coat of paint to the third verse. Both of their comments were **immensely** helpful and I feel they helped improve the song tremendously. In the case of Zap, his criticism was extremely specific, to the point of sending me an MP3. In the case of Anifa, the criticism was extremely vague, along the lines of "Well something just isn't right." But they gave me the tools needed to improve the song. All comments are good. You don't have to take them personally, nor do you have to take all of them. Zap's comments were a good case in point: by comparing my mastering job and his, I found a nice middle ground that combined the best of both approaches (well, at least I think so). He saw the song differently, and I liked what he saw, and it changed my perspective of how the song could sound. I'm distressed that such a cool concept has been dragged down but for those who have kept the spirit of what this is all about, thanks again for your contributions, thanks to dBunny for gluing this all together, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to hear all these mixes (and thanks to the kind fellow who emailed me Spacebass' mix so I could hear it. Yes, I liked that one too!). Mixes, remixes, demixes...it's all about having fun and making our own personal statement. Party on, Garth!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote] It doesn't take a genius to figure out the connection. I mentioned it right away at the time that you weren't very anonymous, giving you an opportunity to change your posts before anyone noticed, had you been truly concerned. Instead you joked about it, giving the impression that it wasn't a big deal ("come to the dark side", etc). [/quote]Whatever Sal, you saw my underwear was showing, and pointed it out to the rest of the class, for what reason I can only guess. The word on you now is that you can't be trusted to keep a secret or respect someones attempt to remain anonymous. You also have a tendency to 'get some licks in' and then try to shut down the responses with some drivel about off topic posts and such. What a chick move! Sheesh!

well well well. go away for just a bit and all hell breaks loose. i'm sitting on the far away island of bali during a torrential rainstorm trying to find out who was IN, let alone who won the superbowl. with an internet cafe connection that took me 45 minutes to get to this page! thought i'd see what happened in the mixfest deadline. wish i hadn't. i can't believe all the shit that broke out over this tune. (also can't believe the raiders lost!) kinda glad i'm not around, though i'm still interested to hear what all the mixes sound like when i finally get home next week. maybe by then the shitstorm will have died down. love, peace and hair grease, -d. gauss

[quote]. I think it's important to realize that a mix is not always "better" or "worse" than another one, but just "different [/quote]'Like most anything when it comes to music.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

I say let's stay focused on the original intent of this exercise. If anybody does not want to participate, then anyone can quit at any time. This is voluntary. I see no reason to try and change people's minds about participating. There are still plenty of folks with the right attitude to make this a worthwhile experience for all involved. Let's try to focus on the positives (and there are a lot of it) and just overlook the negatives. - Rim

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

[quote]Originally posted by Rim: [b]I say let's stay focused on the original intent of this exercise. If anybody does not want to participate, then anyone can quit at any time. This is voluntary. I see no reason to try and change people's minds about participating. There are still plenty of folks with the right attitude to make this a worthwhile experience for all involved. Let's try to focus on the positives (and there are a lot of it) and just overlook the negatives. - Rim[/b][/quote]I personally think that if someone contributed, that it should stay up. It's really foul play to whine about it afterwards. I mean, I can't up and take my tracks out of existence on the net... they're out there... and theirs are too. By the same token... I can see both sides of it, and I don't think it's good to go pissing people off. I'm really dissapointed, b/c I can't even remember the last time I got into an argument with someone. Dbunny is totally right; without talking to someone face to face, emotional context can get really skewed.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Ah, they're just jealouse because mine is the best. :D :D Now where is that "sarcasm" emoticon?

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Lads, I have made a slightly updated mix. - turned most guitars up! (eek!) :) - I toned down the boom-and-sizzle angle a hair. - Fixed some panning and f/x stuff - made a "drumsolo" prior to the rap break And one more thing... lets see who can guess what? Heh. Something ALL of us should have done before. :) You can find the updated one [url=http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap/gt3-zaps-mix.mp3]here[/url] Comments appreciated :confused: /Z

Zap Autotuned George's vocal!!! ;) Your mix sounds great, Zap! I like it a lot better this way, except for the Autotune. :) VERY FAT mix! Nice. And better guitars, especially toward the end. Very danceable. I think I'll have another listen.

[quote]Zap Autotuned George's vocal[/quote]Take the "auto" out of that. Manually, by painting graphs in RBC Voice Tweaker Pro (the best, Antares - go home) using a Wacom graphics tablet. Selectively on a few words only too. But yeah :) Glad you like it! I think it turned out pretty neat. An improvement over my version #1 methinks. /Z

Just dl'd Hush's mix- very cool! I like it very much. Uh oh... autotune!!! I definitely know where I hit some stuff a little off- but if it's within an 1/8 step I'll usually keep it. I personally entertained the idea of heavily autotuning the bridge vocals- but that was in 2000!!! Now it's so overused, I could barf. I'm not getting on you Master Zap! Tuning technologies are part of life. Can't wait to hear the mix!

Has anyone else had problems listening to GT3's original mix? I've got a slow line so streaming isn't an option. I'm using alsaplayer on Linux if that helps. What I see happen is that it reports that it is at 0:00 of 5:54 and stays at 0 for about 10 seoncds and then gives up. Any ideas? I just noticed something - it's encoded at 473 Kbits/second. Maybe my mp3 player can't handle that odd bit rate. I'll try it at work where I can use Windows and followup if I still have problems. Bill

For an outsider, this thread is almost incoherent. I gather unless you have a) a DAW or b)the ability to ship track data you're screwed. Is this true mixing, or what? I'm totally confused. And from the looks of the posts, I'm not the only one! :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Geenard! That is my favorite far side. I've actually had it pinned up at the bulletin board of my studio for months, but I pasted the cut out heads of a band that practices at my place regularly over the heads of the "far side band".

Ain't it cool? almost a condensed version of this thread. well how it evolved. could you answer the questions about tech i asked a few posts up? i am definitely wondering. thanks, gEne
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Originally posted by Geenard Skeenard: [b]For an outsider, this thread is almost incoherent. I gather unless you have a) a DAW or b)the ability to ship track data you're screwed. Is this true mixing, or what? I'm totally confused. And from the looks of the posts, I'm not the only one! :) [/b][/quote]Yes, this is true mixing. Everyone who participated was either sent a CD with the tracks, or downloaded them online. It was not a requirement to have a DAW, although I believe most participants did use one. I don't think people are confused by the process here; they are confused by the tempers that flared, and now have died back down. Let's try not to stoke the embers.

[quote]Originally posted by Geenard Skeenard: [b]Ain't it cool? almost a condensed version of this thread. well how it evolved. could you answer the questions about tech i asked a few posts up? i am definitely wondering. thanks, gEne[/b][/quote]What question? The one about the files and stuff... Remember... this is the second part of the "thread." Look back and find the 700 message sss thread from a couple weeks back. ;)

Archived