Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along...

And hey, guess what, sports fans... :D What has been heard so far represents only about half of the mixes done... :eek: I can't wait to hear the other half, including 'my favorite' (i.e. mine :p )... Seriously though, I think this was a great project/opportunity and I'm fairly disappointed in these less-than-civil posts... :( We don't really want all 40 mixes to sound the same (or even similar), do we...? :confused: Rock on, fellow mixers...

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]And as far as any negative comments aimed towards me go... I know where I stand as an artist and performer, but the likeliness is that YOU do not. This is something I did two years ago, in a few hours. It was my first time playing a synth or even recording in a digital system. Any criticisms are probably well founded.[/b][/quote]my comments werent "aimed" towards you as a person or an artist. you say it yourself in the last three sentences really. its good for a few hours work... but probably somethings that could been flushed out with more time [obviously, not one of your "best" songs so you didnt take this further]. personally, i think its cool where people did either add, or fully change around what you did and take it in a different direction. as some posts say above, its not meant for commercial release... no one is getting paid off this. that sucks spaces mix was pulled down. i didnt DL it so now i do not have it to listen to. shame really.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Hey Spacebass, put it back up, I want to DL it. Or send it to me direct. I want to hear it!! Really folks, the fate of the free world does not hang in the balance here. Have fun with the tune, and the project is a success.

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]Wow! What happened here? You can cut the air with a knife in here... [img]http://www.daklander.com/images/duel.gif[/img] Um. Anyway, my mix is definitely not my favorite! It's not one of the better mixes I've done. Still haven't had a chance to listen to all of them, but I do like all the various approaches to the same song. I hope we can get back to constructive, honest opinions and be okay with that.[/b][/quote]On a side note Ken, I kinda dug what went on later in your remix. I gotta call it a remix because there's too much changed. Nice...Not my favorite but not my least favorite either. I like mine but it's like yours. in the middle.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Uncle Milty, Yes, definitely a lot changed in my mix. Remix, mix, call it whatever you want! I definitely didn't add anything new. I sent something through a ring modulator plug-in and then slowed it down. I like the end of my mix. It goes on for too long, but it was quite fun, so I didn't fade it out unti later...I like the breakdown, too, and wanted to highlight that by doing something different. The mix is muddy, partially because I didn't really EQ much of anything. It's more a matter of running out of time than anything else. I didn't carve away at the low mids like I usually do, and my drums are a bit dull sounding. It's okay, though, it's still a somewhat listenable mix. The project was fun. I was amazed at how easy it was for everyone with DAWs to do a mix. Pretty cool.

I'm guilty of a "boom tinkle" mix. Again ! Besides not having any time to do anything creative with the mix, I'm still guilty of making boom tinkle mixes. ARGHH! How do I get out of that habit ? O.K. Kemp, Hemp, whatever...ass kissing alert ! ass kissing alert ! I pulled up Craig's mix again to compare. Firstly, there is a level difference (as well as how the VOX sit in the mix, etc...) so I needed to compensate a bit..... BUT..... more than a level difference Craig's mix is more "forward". Mastering could be a difference but that's not it. Mine does seem to have more bottom (and top) but there the rub. I think. By mixing like this , habitually BTW, am I robbing "headroom"(I'm not sure if that's the right word) and a certain forwardness from my mixes ? I notice this when I hear my mixes on TV commercials in particular. ( A totally different kind of treatment but still...) That is, that my commercial mixes seem to be less "forward". Not as, eh em, "loud". (BTW, I absolutely can't stand those "candy bar" 0dbFS ultra limited CD's but there's got to be a middle ground there somewhere. No?) Any thoughts ?
eightyeightkeys

You think YOURS is boom tinkle? Listen to mine :) Seriously, I am beginning to wonder about this. What is broken? My ears? My monitors? My judgement? Although yeah, I perhaps overdid the "boom tinkle" aspect, most mixes sound like coming through a telephone to me, with just a narrow midrange mess!? Is that just me? /Z

[quote]Originally posted by Master Zap: [b]You think YOURS is boom tinkle? Listen to mine :) /Z[/b][/quote]I did want to listen to yours but it came up as a text file. I also wanted to listen to 20-20's but the QuickTime "progress wheel" just kept spinning and spinning. I'll try again later.
eightyeightkeys

I said early on that the mixes should be posted from one place with numbers as titles so as to take the 'personal' aspect out of it. This asshole (me) saw the personality conflicts looming possibility and suggested a way to side step it. It was ignored, and now we reap the reward of that ego and ignorance, people taking things personally and lots of ass kissing of Craig, which was entirely predictable. I made a special account, Anon, to avoid that. Some probably 'guessed' who Anon was because they most likely have read the thread more than once and sussed out the loudist suggestion, the creation of Anon, and the acid planet connection, those who did figure it out and said nothing, I thank you. Sal did suss it out, and both he and GT3 had to tattle on the thread like spoiled children. I have taken my mixes down and asked dBunny to not include my remixes on any CD. My reasoning is the lack of respect by the smartypants clan of my intention to remain anonymous, which took all the fun out of it for me. I am particularly disgusted with Sal for taking a Private Message conversation between he and I and bringing it on to this public thread. I will not critique any mixes. It is more of your loss than you might know. I am a Grammy winning, multi platinum awarded audio engineer and producer who also plays an instrument. There were common mistakes made by many mixers in this little fest, and I had some 'workaround' suggestions for them. Since Sal and GT3 thought that guessing and stateing who Anon might be, is somehow justified and disrespected the whole intent of it (the nick should have been a bruiseing clue). I am not going to further benefit them through my critiques of others. Unfortunately, GT3 has already had some advice from me as Anon. dBunny has been the most level headed and sane one here, and should be commended on his efforts. He is the heart and soul of this whole affair.

I still can't believe how people have taken this whole thing so personally. Yeah, the playing wasn't great, and there we're problems with timing on various parts etc. But THAT to me was the challenge. How to take something with numerous problems, and turn out a mix that was good. That is what mxing is all about.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Unreal turn of events. How did this get so personal? It started out so cool. There were really cool mixes and some that needed more work - what did anyone expect? An amazing view of what could be done with the material and some creativity and some different perspectives. Who did this tune? GT3? Don't let anyone BS you - it is a good, catchy tune and some of these mixes make it really shine. Nope, no need for apologies from you. No way I could have made it thru so many listens if it really sucked. I was really trying to learn from what you guys did even thought I was too late to do a mix - I could imagine where what I would have done might have fit - not knowing what the tracks were like, I still feel I might have been roundly smoked by a few of the really good sounding mixes. And I don't think there was CA ass kissing. His mix was good by any technical basis I can think of. I like CA's mix for the positive things about it - I was not crazy about the delay's but what did impress me is that they did not crowd up or clutter the mix (which is the the first thing I expected when I heard them start up - oh no, here it comes with all the delay crap - but it never happened). So cool - I can try to learn from that - how'd he manage to keep so much in the mix with clarity. I'm not much for ass kissing - if I'd have not liked that mix, I probably just would not have said anything - you know that old saying... Too bad some decided to take their toys and go home. And, Anon or Loudist - I really liked your remixes, but you know what - I don't know you from Adam - call yourself Anon, Loudist, Joe Music, Dervish McZee, Cal Lusless - WTF? It is all the same to me. I think you make too much over your second secret identity - you got Mixerman syndrome or something? Maybe D-DMusic (my current fav - nice thing about not having my own mix - I can have a new fav everyday if I like), or Craig, or some of the others who pulled off really nice mixes will bless us with their wisdom in your absenses while some of you take a break and get over yourselves.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Well damn, isn't this becoming an unfortunate little affair. It is sad that people are taking things way too personally. Everyone should have known that they were gonna get some sort of negative feedback on their mixes, no matter what. Hell, I am fully aware of Craig's reputation, yet I found things in his mix that didn't turn my crank. Somehow I doubt he's gonna pull out of this if I voice my subjective opinions on it. I for one, fully welcome any critiques people have of my mix. Solely because I need it. All the work I have done in my career has recieved praise with little criticizm on what can be improved. I can't help but think that people won't give it to me cuz they don't want to hurt my feelings. I KNOW I am not perfect and neither is my work. Anything "negative" is something to learn from. Hey, if it hurts to much to hear something that can be taken negatively, the best thing to do is suck it up and seize the opportunity to eliminate the possibility of it happening again. C'mon guys, let's not all go bailing on the exercise now!

[quote]I said early on that the mixes should be posted from one place with numbers as titles so as to take the 'personal' aspect out of it[/quote]While this sounds good in theory, it takes even MORE fun out of it. We did exactly this over at another mixfest, and it made any discussion about the mixes very boring, lame, and dead, because it only gets fun when you get an interaction between the person who mixed and the person with the opinion. When the person who mixed was supposed to be anonymous he couldn't comment on the comments - or lack of comments!! - and it just fizzled lamely. However, I think that anyone who can't take the heat should stay in the cool part of the kitchen ;) Feel free to think my mix sucks, frankly I am wishing I get *more actual constructive critizism* which is what I want. And as for asskissing craig.. heh. I didn't perceve has mix as "serious" so if it's spaced out 60's it's kinda a joke. Like I said his drum EQ was 180 degrees from mine ;) /Z

[quote]Originally posted by Master Zap: [b]Henchman; Did you update your mix? I have a distinct memory of it not sounding like this last time I heard it!? I like it much better now. But maybe my ears are just burned now ;) /Z[/b][/quote]Nope. Same one. I was going to try and find time to do another mix, but never got the chance.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Yes, This has become most unfortunate. Im really disappointed about losing an opportunity to have an award winning pro mixer comment on my stuff (whowever he/she is). However, I'd like to point something out. This big ball of negative energy could only grow and get out of control as it did because people fed it. As Craig has suggested many times - the best way to deal with such BS is to simply ignore it and not take the bait. That is how I have chosen to react to such things - Besides who has the time for such BS? - Not me. I do believe we could have collectively prevented this spiral if none of us "took the bait" and just left the negative/defensive posts to die a lonely death. IM still waiting for the CD to be able to comment on the real mixes vs. the MP3. I'm still hoping to get honest and useful feedback. If folks would rather work in PM Mode Im OK with that. Ive got several hours invested and the whole point was to get reactions and learn something. - So, for that reason and for the good of the forum I's hate to see this all go up in flames. Maybe we can still do this? On a related point, I have never thought that sharing technical secrets with anyone could cost me anything at all. Do folks think that if they share their tricks that someone elses next song will somehow prevent them from getting their due? This seems absurd to me. At songwriting seminars and the like i have been happy to find a spirit of openness and support to be widespread. Thinking otherwise about music makes no sense to me. Hopefully, folks can move ahead with this in mind. Peace love and music.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Loudist, The thing that's ridiculous about this all is that you outed yourself. Anything I stated in a post was merely speculation. I had no idea Sal had already said anything about your identity. Even now, who the hell knows who you are? I sent an apology letter ... b/c I'm sorry if you were caused any problems. If I had actually known it was you, I wouldn't have written ANYTHING. I always keep things confidential. Your WAY PARANOID to think that anyone is sifting through your past messages trying to figure out who you are.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by loudist: [b]What does the nick Anon mean to you? Speculation? [/b][/quote]Good point. I was taking a pretty light hearted view of all of this, and I hadn't considered other's perspectives. I can't take back any problems I may have caused you, but I really got a kick out of your mixes. And I think that website "Black People Love Us" is pretty damn funny too. I always get a kick out of your perspective... so I hope we can at least be civil on future threads. I'm not trying to shoot you down or anything! ;)

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote] That is EXACTLY what Sal did[/quote]Incorrect. You posted on the original thread as Loudist that "people should post their mixes at AcidPlanet.com". One or two days later Anon shows up and posts a URL to his mixes hosted at AcidPlanet. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the connection. I mentioned it right away at the time that you weren't very anonymous, giving you an opportunity to change your posts before anyone noticed, had you been truly concerned. Instead you joked about it, giving the impression that it wasn't a big deal ("come to the dark side", etc). When people were guessing Anon's ID in this thread, I mentioned the obvious connection, still thinking it wasn't a big deal. Then of course I received a VERY threatening PM which would have pissed anyone off. Since you seemed not to understand that YOU were the one who blew your own cover, I did you the courtesy of going back to the original threads and finding the specific URLs where these events occurred, so you could see for yourself and perhaps learn something. Can't we drop this negative BS and get on with what this project is about? Loudist, if you still want to participate then have dBunny put your mixes back up. Otherwise, let's not take this thread further off topic. Please?

So it looks like a lot of this was based on a misunderstanding caused by us not being face to face with each other. Sometimes communicating through the written word can be challenging, obviously. I hope we can move on, now. loudist, may I post your mixes back up, please?

[quote]Originally posted by d-dmusic: ...I also wanted to listen to 20-20's but the QuickTime "progress wheel" just kept spinning and spinning. I'll try again later.[/QB][/quote]I got mine to DL just now... I hope you got it, too... BTW, I liked your mix... :thu: Can't wait to hear them all as RedBooks...! That said, dBunz did a great job with the MP3 conversions, etc... Thanks again everybody,

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

FWIW, I'm 'on the record' early on digging the various Anon contributions... And like Stevepow stated, the handle 'Loudist' is just as anonymous to all of us as 'Anon' is... And many of us really enjoyed the Spacebass offering... I urge you both to reconsider your withdrawls... It's all good :cool: ,

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

well now i know that anon is loudist [which from running into loudist in other places would of never guessed he was anon, i always pictured him as a rock and roller... just goes to show ya dont know shit about someone] but i dont know who loudist is either... so, hmm. anon/loudist... doesnt make much of a difference, both are anonymous anyway. so i wish i knew who loudist is so i could check out some of his other work, cause i dug his mixes for this.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Archived