Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B-3 stuff to check out...

M Peasley

I've loved the B-3 since a wee tad when Booker T was on the radio but I don't know enough names of B-3 musicians to buy. Here's the people I do know well -

John Medeski

Booker T

Lonnie Liston Smith

Jimmy Smith

Joey DeFrancesco

John Novello

Gimme some names to check out!!!

M Peasley

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Richard 'Groove' Holmes was one of my favorites. I saw him play in a jazz club in Philadelphia back in 1966 or so. Several of his kids were running around the club as I recall. He died not all that long ago and he really seemed like a great guy to me. He made a recording of Misty that was quite popular back in the previous century.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I said that Richard Groove Holmes died not all that long ago ... he died in 1991 (according to a google search).

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Richard 'Groove' Holmes was one of my favorites. I saw him play in a jazz club in Philadelphia back in 1966 or so. Several of his kids were running around the club as I recall. He died not all that long ago and he really seemed like a great guy to me. He made a recording of Misty that was quite popular back in the previous century.

Yep, Mr. Misty was his nickname.

Some of my favorites:

Jimmy McGriff - The Worm

Larry Young - Talking about

Larry Goldings - Light blue, Imtimacy of the blues, Caminhos cruzados

Sam Yahel in Joshua Redman's Elastic Band.

Chester Thompson (Tower of Power) - Tower of Power, In the slot, Back to Oakland and a fantastic old live recording from which I forgot the title.

And of course Jimmy Smith and John Lord.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

For some slightly different styles, I'll recommend two of my favorites:

Melvin Seals

The only recordings I know of are the Jerry Garcia Band live albums. "How Sweet It Is" is the only one whose name I'm remembering at the moment. Melvin's gospel roots really shine through on this stuff.

Gregg Rolie

The first three Santana albums are great, but the early Journey is really good stuff too. They made three albums before Steve Perry joined the band, and it's not pop-rock at all -- more like fusion or something. "Journey", "Next", and "Look Into The Future". Gregg also has a solo album called "Roots" that's worth a listen. That one is very Santana-esque, as the name would imply.

Enjoy!

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I remember back in the early 80's when I first came to Vegas, I went to the Sahara to see the band in the lounge. No cover/ no minimum and the band was Jimmy Smith, Grady Tate and Phil Upchurch. Jimmy was just fantastic!!

Originally posted by Linwood:

I remember back in the early 80's when I first came to Vegas, I went to the Sahara to see the band in the lounge. No cover/ no minimum and the band was Jimmy Smith, Grady Tate and Phil Upchurch. Jimmy was just fantastic!!

I have an LP of Grady Tate singing. He is still alive? I grew up hearing many LPs with him as a drummer; it surprised me when I came across that LP with him singing.

• 9 months later...
Originally posted by HCMF:

Brian Auger!!!

i can't believe this guy isn't mentioned more often

Caught Brian Auger at Tenny Street Roadhouse, Dearborn, MI (Metro-Detroit) last night.

First time I saw him live--awesome.

Great musician and showman.

The guy that introduced him said he was the greatest B-3 player that ever lived--dunno about that (De Francesco??) but great nevertheless.

Chatted with Brian during the break and he was totally approachable and very friendly.

Great gig. :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

BTW, referencing the very first post, it's not Lonnie Liston Smith, he's a pianist, You want to hear Dr. Lonnie Smith - turban, bearded, looks like the jazz community's answer to Korla Pandit, but the man can play!

Dasher

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

Keyboard's recent Clonewheel shootout had an article on Danny Louis, the keyboardist for Government Mule. I picked up their latest CD Deja Voodoo, and while he's not as fancy as some of the names mentioned above, his playing is so appropriate for a guitar-dominated rock band, I've got this one in heavy rotation right now and picking up all kinds of things. He also uses a lot of "vintage" keys, like Wurlies and Clav, that album should be included with every Nord Electro!

I'm also a big fan of the Hammond playing on the last couple of Dire Straits albums, can't recall right now who it was.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by forceman:

Just stumbled on this photo: Cool photo of Brian Auger and Joey D.

I wanted to post that picture after I read your post, Glad to hear you had a good time at his show. The man must still be in top shape

I never saw him live and haven't heard of him coming to Canada in years

http://www.brianauger.com/photos/photo%20archive/y2k/04brianJOEY.jpg

Archived