Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favorite late night TV keyboard player?

Tedster

Put this question up on the guitar forum, as a shootout between Kevin Eubanks, Jimmy Vivino, Felicia Collins, G.E. Smith, etc...just to see who the favorite late night band guitarist was. Thought it would be a great question for the other forums as well...

So, past or present, who's your favorite late night TV keyboard player?

BTW...Jimmy Vivino (Max Weinberg's band) is leading the guitar forum in votes...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Paul Shaffer.

Nobody else on TV (or, arguably, anywhere in show biz) has the huge musical lexicon that Paul has. The man is a human jukebox.

Not to mention 21 years on TV... you have to respect that at least a little bit! :D

SG

I would have to agree.

Originally posted by DJDM:

What!? Shaffer! Is there anyone else? :)

No, there is not...well, Laura Hall, depending on when you get Whose Line Is It Anyway, but she's no King of Ging.

Paul is The Man!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

This is going to be a short thread :rolleyes:

Paul's definately da man :thu:

[rant]My late night pet peeve is that we never get to hear Paul or Kevin's band play the whole way through....damned adverts! I'm sure it would be very popular if they gave these excellent musicians their own spot on the program proper occasionally.[/rant]

Cheers,

:DTR

I've been a fan of Paul ever since he was the MD on Saturday Night Live. Also don't forget the original Blues Brothers. A friend of mine went & saw the Late Show last year. He said it was wicked. Apparently they do play thru the commercial spots. He said when the break for commercial comes, the band comes up loud & clear. So clear that you could almost reach out & touch the sound, but not so loud that it hurts you.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Who was the pianist that played for Johnny Carson's band (lead by "Doc")? He was pretty slick, although not quite the charisma of Paul.

Yes, I'll go with Paul as well. What a stage rig! Grand piano, B3, JD-800, K2000, vintage Oberheims - SWEET!

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

... going back a few years, Derek Smith from the old Tonight Show (with Johnny Carson) and Paul Smith from the old Merv Griffin Show. Both were outstanding jazz pianists.

I've listened to Paul S. from the Letterman Show when we could receive it here in the Netherlands and while he is an excellent rock keyboard player, he never struck me a top notch jazz/all around player.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Linwood:

Ross Thompkins did the Carson show. I'd agree with Paul. He plays it like he means it.

Yea, I forgot Ross Thompkins ... excellent.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Originally posted by Linwood:

Ross Thompkins did the Carson show. I'd agree with Paul. He plays it like he means it.

Yea, I forgot Ross Thompkins ... excellent.
And he probably never had to deal with an obnoxious DJ in the next room. ;)

... decibel for decibel one of the best DJs in the business ...

Now that I think of it, I must change my vote...

Not exactly "Late Night" TV, but John Costa from Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. Now that guy is SCARY!!

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

John Costa was also a favorite of mine and I'm embarrassed to say that I had forgotten all about him. He died back in 1996 and I remember feeling a little sad after I heard that. What's also sad is many people never knew who he was.

Paul Shaffer...of course...those of you who aren't familiar with the large amount of work he did prior to "Late Night" need to do some studying...the guy was/is an amazing piano/organ player.

John Costa was amazing...he inspired me so much before I was old enough to know he was playing Jazz and was an even bigger inspiration once I started learning Jazz. but he probably deserves his own thread...maybe a Children's TV show best of? ;)

Gotta love Paul. Besides the playing, charisma, and rapport with Dave (and did you see any of the shows where he actually hosted the show in Letterman's absence? not bad!), ya gotta love the suits and glasses ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

One of the first and still the greatest, Steve Allen. And if you youngins don't know who he is, here's a relevant section from his biography.

"Best-known as a comedian and the first host of the American TV institution, the Tonight Show (1954-57), Allen frequently played piano and sang on his shows and used them as a forum to present guests from the jazz world. He also played the lead role in the film The Benny Goodman Story in 1955, produced the TV series Jazz Scene USA in 1962, and narrated a history of jazz on records The Jazz Story (Coral). Allen recorded frequently for Coral, Dot, Roulette, EmArcy, and Decca during the peak of his TV fame and as late as 1992, taped an enjoyable mainstream set for Concord Jazz, Plays Jazz Tonight.. In addition to some 43 books (and counting), Allen claims to have written (as of 1994) more than 4,700 songs, of which only a bare handful -- "This Could Be The Start of Something (Big)," "Gravy Waltz," "Impossible" -- have staked claims in the repertoire."

Second choice would be the late, great Bill Foster (the Fox) of the Man Show. World's fastest beer drinker to boot.

Worst. Chevy Chase used to play Rhodes on his short lived, thankfully, late night gig. I've never seen hands shake so much. Man was he nervous.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

One of the first and still the greatest, Steve Allen. And if you youngins don't know who he is, here's a relevant section from his biography.

"Best-known as a comedian and the first host of the American TV institution, the Tonight Show (1954-57), Allen frequently played piano and sang on his shows and used them as a forum to present guests from the jazz world. He also played the lead role in the film The Benny Goodman Story in 1955, produced the TV series Jazz Scene USA in 1962, and narrated a history of jazz on records The Jazz Story (Coral). Allen recorded frequently for Coral, Dot, Roulette, EmArcy, and Decca during the peak of his TV fame and as late as 1992, taped an enjoyable mainstream set for Concord Jazz, Plays Jazz Tonight.. In addition to some 43 books (and counting), Allen claims to have written (as of 1994) more than 4,700 songs, of which only a bare handful -- "This Could Be The Start of Something (Big)," "Gravy Waltz," "Impossible" -- have staked claims in the repertoire."

Second choice would be the late, great Bill Foster (the Fox) of the Man Show. World's fastest beer drinker to boot.

Worst. Chevy Chase used to play Rhodes on his short lived, thankfully, late night gig. I've never seen hands shake so much. Man was he nervous.

Busch.

I'm going to knock a few points from Steve Allen. I watched that show for years and Steve would play the piano, but Paul Smith would play behind him and Steve never acknowledged that. I'm sure most people never noticed that, but I saw that a few times. SA was very talented, but it rubbed me the wrong way when Paul Smith would play behind him, make him sound even better, but was not acknowledged by Steve on the air. Was I the only one to notice that?

Archived