Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favorite rock tune keyboard intros

Jeff Klopmeyer

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. Fools Overture was pretty cool.

Did Tom Sholz actually play Hammond on "Foreplay?" If so, WOW! . . . but I thought they had a keyboard dweeb on hand for B-3 swrils.

Oh! Oh! Oh!

< 3/4 raises his hand >

What about "First Seven Days" by Jan Hammer, that whole intro before the, ah, the first song on the album was pretty cool.

As was the Jan Hammer/Jeff Beck opening to "Freeway Jam" on the live album.

As was "Frankenstein" . . .

Ah, is there a limit to the number of favorites?

And where, I might add, are the donuts in this thread? Huh?

the only good signature is the one on a cheque or a confession

Wasn't there a thread like this for favorite Rhodes or electric piano intro? I have a Yamaha EZ30 as a toy to futz around with (actually I think it was due to Jeff's rave review here). It's got idiot lights above the keys for me :D I plugged it into the computer and put Supertramp's Bloody Well Right on it just so I could see the light show it puts on for that first minute. It makes me feel almost as inadequate as watching a good keyboard/pianist play live :cry:;)

That first UK album was practically a demonstration record for the CS-80.

Speaking of CS-80, other interesting keyboard intros to songs were all over the Roxy Music "Avalon" album.

"More than this"

Then there was the blaring CS-80 fanfare of Love and Loneliness by The Motors. Classic.

Too many intro's, not enough time.

the only good signature is the one on a cheque or a confession

I like the following keyboard intros, most of which are either chord-driven or more melodic, rather than being chop-fests:

- Babylon Sisters - Steely Dan

- Minute by Minute - Doobie Brothers

- All of My Love - Led Zeppelin

- Don't Stop Believin' - Journey

- My Old School - Steely Dan

- Virtual Insanity - Jamiroquai

- Duran Duran - The Chauffeur

- Seal - Crazy

- Elvis Costello - Every Day I Write the Book

Regards,

Eric

I'll wind back the clock, travel backwards in time...past the 500 million times I've heard it, and pretend I'm hearing it for the first time, because I really dug it about the first 3000 times I heard it...Boston, "Foreplay/Long Time". Haven't read the thread...I'm sure it's come up before.

Now, when it comes on, I turn the dial.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

"Glad" (Stevie Winwood).... from Traffic's album "John Barleycorn Must Die". The whole friggin album is a timeless (rock) keyboard killer! ---Lee

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

Did Tom Sholz actually play Hammond on "Foreplay?" If so, WOW! . . . but I thought they had a keyboard dweeb on hand for B-3 swrils.
Actually I read it was a spinet :eek: (not a B3) and that yes Tom Sholz played it...if anyone knows differently please let us know.
It was definitely Scholz. I saw him play it live.

Another good Jan Hammer one would be "Darkness (Earth in Search of a Sun)."

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Agree with all the Banks Gabrielenesis tunes (I'd even add Riding the Scree, why not), and...

- Lady Madonna

- Bridge Over Troubled Water (Richard Tee's intro, that is, on the Paul Simon (solo) Live in Central Park)

- Shot in the Arm (Wilco)

- Everything In Its Right Place (Radiohead)

- God, Mother, or anything else on Plastic Ono Band that starts with piano (Lennon)

That's enough...

Originally posted by [ ¾ ]:

To the best of my knowlege, despite the attempt to fool people into think the first Boston record was recorded as a band, Scholz did everything on that record but sing or play drums.

- Jeff

Fun topic! Here are a few of my favorite intros:

Oingo Boingo, Boi-ngo, "Home Again". (RD1000?)

Devo, Freedom of Choice, "Girl U Want".

Billy Joel, "Prelude / Angry Young Man".

Steely Dan, "FM".

Donald Fagan, "Walk Between Raindrops".

Chick Corea, "Space Circus - Part 2".

Supertramp, "Bloody Well Right".

Sky

Originally posted by Phil B:

- God, Mother, or anything else on Plastic Ono Band that starts with piano (Lennon)

That's enough...

I'll have to confirm this, but I'm almost certain that it's Billy Preston playing piano on God. Only on God. It's clearly John on Mother, Remember, etc.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Tom Scholz played a Hammond M3, just like mine. And yes, Boston IS Tom Scholz, and the other guys are just pickup musicians, although a case can be made for Brad Delp's vocals being key to the sound. I saw them on the "Third Stage" tour in high school, and I remember being disappointed about two things:

1) Tom played all the organ parts, and played the hell out of them, but that meant that someone else was playing all those killer guitar parts anytime there was organ going.

2) They didn't play "Smokin'"!! Dammit, they only had three albums' worth of material, and they left THAT one out? Bastards!

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Jode:

PS - Don't throw stuff at me for this one, but:

Madonna - Live To Tell

Why would we? Although it is debatable that it's a rock song. Pure pop. But that synth pad intro is nice. Patrick Leonard wrote that.

- Jeff

Oh, and someone said Santana. You gotta mention "Hope You're Feeling Better." Gregg Rolie just grabs you by the dangly bits right out of the gate and doesn't let go for four minutes. Naaaaaasty.

No, wait, I meant to say "Se A Cabo." Or was it "Mother's Daughter"? Hmmm, it may have been "Incident at Neshabur". Ah, hell, the whole damn album. :thu:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Agree with all posters so far. Here's a couple:

Jan Hammer

"Let The Children Grow" from "Oh Yeah" album

"Magical Dog" from "Oh Yeah"

Emerson

Karn Evil 9 - 1st Impression

Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman - Second Mvmt.

...and many others!

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Van Halen: "Dreams"

Motley Crew: "Home Sweet Home" - I absolutely hate this song. When I was around 8th grade age, it was by far the most requested song anytime there was a piano around. yuk

Hmm, almost every one that comes to my mind is from the 80's, most of em pretty cheesy tunes.

I also used to like the intro to "Restless Ones" Bad English.

I like the lead synth in the beginning of Dream Theater "Matter of Time"

Archived