Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favorite rock tune keyboard intros

Jeff Klopmeyer

Well, if we're going to adendize our list to include piano intro snippets, then there are a whole lot of great piano rips from

Fats Domino

Jerry Lee Lewis

Dr. John

For that matter, the RMI riff at the intro to "Right Place Wrong Time" is something that still stands out to me. Nasty little worm of a tone that sets the stage for a great little groove.

Seems to me, and I am loathe to admit this, but ELO had a couple of great keyboard intros on New World Record and the double-album with the space ship cover.

Not that I you know, actually have copies in my vast collection of records, but you know, my friend might have a copy that I heard, you know, in passing.

Okay, if we're going to be truthful hear, then I would have to fess up to getting off on the old Sweet song "Action" with it's minimoog intro.

There, I feel all better. Admitting is the first step. I've said it.

the only good signature is the one on a cheque or a confession

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone mentioned Vangelis yet?

No?

How about some of his intro's all over the Blade Runner soundtrack? Although I admit it is hard to say when one of Vangelis' intro's stop and the song actually starts. He sort of just oozes by osmosis from oveture to finale.

Another favorite, although this might be a hard one to qualify, is Rick Wakeman's Mellotron Sound FX intro on Close to the Edge. True, the Mellotron counts as a keyboard, but it's not so much playing as organizing sound effects. But still, it's Rick right?

Actually, speaking of WAKEMAN THE GOD WHOM FARTS LAVENDER BEFORE ALL OTHERS there was a cool intro track on his Criminal Record. Ah, I forget which song. Might have been Birdman of Alcatraz. Uh, I forget.

But then (about 1978 when Wakeman was white hot) there is that piano intro on Awaken. That might be one of my fav's. Awaken. Wakeman. Awaken Wakeman.

Hey, I never noticed that before.

Awaken. Wakeman.

v e r y ~ w e i r d

maybe I better sit down. I think I've had too much sugar and coffee with all those Krispy Kreame donuts.

I feel sort of quesy.

Originally posted by [ ¾ ]:

But then (about 1978 when Wakeman was white hot) there is that piano intro on Awaken. That might be one of my fav's. Awaken. Wakeman. Awaken Wakeman.

Hey, I never noticed that before.

Awaken. Wakeman.

v e r y ~ w e i r d

Hey, that's not weird, that's fun! :) (The weird part is that me too didn't notice the similarity.)
I am back.

I won't revisit anything already mentioned.

"Morning has broken" - just saw Wakeman play this a few weeks ago. He claims he never got paid for the session.

"Close to Home" - Emerson - Ok....not exactly a great opening but I just love the tune. I read somewhere that it was his mother's favorite.

"Creole Dance" - Emerson - Can't belive this one was missed. Ulnar nerve surgery or not, he just kicks ass on this.

There are no stupid questions but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots!

Here's a couple of more intros to add to the already great mentions. :)

ELP - The vocal overdub/loop at the opening of Tarkus. And the cool GX-1 patch during the begining of Pirates.

Jan Hammer - The layered synth bass at the intro of the album "The First Seven Days" (Darkness?)

Genesis - Eleventh Earl of Mar, Los Endos

This is kinda jazzy but could still be considered Rock...

Dave Stewart's keyboards on the tune "Beelzebub" from Bill Bruford's solo album 'Feels Good to Me'

that line is so cool, one of those things where first time I heard it I rushed to a piano and didn't stop until I'd learned to play it.

woe woe woe

hey ~ how about Louie Louie? That was what, a Farfisa or a Wurly run through a distorting amplifier? Or was it a Hohner Pianet?

Say . . . wait a darn tootin' minute here .

What's your favorite keyboard intro from all the Keyboard Compilations, or all the on-line music from forum members?

Huh?

ELP - the mad Moog ribbon intro to "Blues Variations" (before the drums start)

Kraftwerk - the Morse pulsing riff at the start of "Radio Activity"

Weather Report - The Rhodes chordal intro to "Young and Fine"

Yes - The piano at the beginning of "Awaken" (I know it's been just mentioned, but I *love* it :) )

Toto - "Africa". The massive CS80 chords set the mood (and the hook) of the tune.

A little passè perhaps, but a classic... what about the organ intro/riff on Santana's "Oyo como va"? :D

Oy! Weather Report - Birdland. That whole album was enough for me to buy a 2600, but the intro on Birdland cinched the deal.

What a great topic! Always the first one that comes to my mind: Don Airey on "Eyes of the World", on Rainbow's "Down to Earth". Guys, I know a lot of you don't know that one, so get over to iTunes and at least listen to a little of it. Better yet, lay down a dollar for a very cool song.

UFO- "Alpha Centauri", from "No Place to Run". A mix of keys and heavily processed guitar, nice spacy instrumental.

Supertramp- Gone Hollywood- Short, but very cool

Bruford- Hells Bells

Simple Minds- All the Things She Said, Wish You Were Here

Black Sabbath- Who Are You, Die Young

Somebody mentioned "Fooling Yourself" and "El Becko", those are great.

Originally posted by Dan South:

[QB]You keyboard guys like a lot of crappy stuff just because it has a keyboard in it!

Um, like yeah, hello-ho ~ we're keyboard players.

Man, you should ask the guitar players . . bet most would say "song? There's a song behind that guitar solo?" Most guitar players don't even know the other guys with Eddie van Halen.

My record collection is full of records I bought just for the keyboard intro.

I'm not even gonna mention the Captain and Tenille record I asked for (asked for!) for Christmas when I was very young because I so much dug the intro to one of their songs. It had pipe organ and some pretty wicked synth sounds. The Captain really knew his keyboard chops. I always picked up the needle before that damn perky bitch started singing. Yuck.

oh-oh

uh . . did I just confess my Captain and Tenille record out loud?

Doh! < smacks forehead >

I tried to hit a few that hadn't been mentioned, or hadn't been mentioned very much.

Some "short orders"...

Chicago - "A Hit by Varese" (hot and unusual B3 from Mr. Lamm)

Chicago - "Saturday in the Park" (Piano - simple pop, but nice)

Chicago - "Italian from New York" (bizarre ARP 2600 & Rhodes)

Doobie Brothers - "Minute by Minute" (funky Rhodes from MM)

Doobie Brothers - "What a Fool Believes" (Yamaha CP-80)

Billy Joel - "Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway" (smokin' Piano)

Howard Jones - "Things Can Only Get Better" (various synths in a nice little intro)

Journey - "Don't Stop Believin'" (one of many nice piano intros from Jonathan Cain)

Moody Blues - "Your Wildest Dreams" (a Pat Moraz synth-fest)

Mr. Mister - "Kyrie" (two sequenced synth-pop lines and a pad, opening a rock song)

Nena - "99 Red Balloons" (I'd love to know what they used for the excellent synth bass)

Pink Floyd - "Us and Them" (just some nice laid back B3)

Steely Dan - "Babylon Sisters" (cool Rhodes)

Styx - "Blue Collar Man" (B3 with a side of grits)

Styx - "Fooling Yourself - Angry Young Man" (B3 & Oberheim IIRC)

Styx - "Too Much Time on My Hands" (Oberheim I think, great synth bass)

Van Halen - "When It's Love" (various synths - best when the heavy rhythm kicks in with a combo of synth and guitar)

Yes - "And You and I" (Wakeman's Minimoog, short but so effective)

A few real "marathons"...

Boston - "Foreplay / Long Time" (some kind of Hammond, but I don't think it was a B3)

Steve Miller - "Jet Airliner" (ARP 2600?)

Yes - "Changes" (DX7 or DX-something-else played with changing time signatures)

Yes - "Miracle of Life" (Mr. Kaye on B3, in 17/16ths time!)

ELP - Arrggghhh! Way too many to mention!

Originally posted by 3/4

oh-oh

uh . . did I just confess my Captain and Tenille record out loud?

Doh! < smacks forehead >

Hell, I made the mistake of being the first responder and admitting to still loving the opening of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Doh! I just did it again. :freak:

By the way, I agree with dementia13. You gotta reset the clock on your VCR. It's driving me nuts to see it flashing 12:00 in these threads.

Originally posted by Dan South:

Wow! You keyboard guys like a lot of crappy stuff just because it has a keyboard in it! Sister Christian? Pet Shop Boys? Gary Numan? That's where I draw the line! :D

And I suppose you only listen to good music, like "I Write the Song" and "Mandy". :P

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

One summer I devoted all piano practice to elton intros...never got around to learning the rest of the songs...some of the tastier ones I can remember in addition to Levon, Funeral and Grey Seal:

I've Seen That Movie Too

Chameleon

Talking Old Soldiers

Pinball Wizard

Take Me To The Pilot

Teacher I Need You

Ticking

Empty Sky

(yeah, all of 'em I guess...)

Archived