Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favorite rock tune keyboard intros

Jeff Klopmeyer

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rabid:

Originally posted by Dan South:

Wow! You keyboard guys like a lot of crappy stuff just because it has a keyboard in it! Sister Christian? Pet Shop Boys? Gary Numan? That's where I draw the line! :D

And I suppose you only listen to good music, like "I Write the Song" and "Mandy". :P

Robert

Ooh, Rab, pulling the Barry Manilow card! You should be ashamed of yourself! :D

Everybody knows that only Keyboard players like Barry. ;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by dementia13:

uh . . did I just confess my Captain and Tenille record out loud?
Hey, the Monkees had some pretty cool keyboard lines, too.
As I recall Mickey Dolenz was a very early purchaser of a Moog modular. Strange but true!
There are no stupid questions but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots!

I can't remember off hand, but didn't Talking Heads version of Take me to the River start out with a Vox Continental or Hammondesque percusion sound? Maybe a Vox Jaguar?
the only good signature is the one on a cheque or a confession

Everyone's saying Steve Miller's "Jet Airliner," but no one's mentioned "Space Intro," from Fly Like An Eagle? Tighten up, guys, it's even got the word 'intro' in the title! Jeeez...

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Toto: Girl Goodbye

Billy Joel: Summer, Highland Falls

Kansas: Portrait

Kansas: Song for America

Kansas: The Wall

Ambrosia: Nice, Nice, Very Nice

Play Some Music: Original Journey

Glass Moon: Blue Windows

Manheim Steamroller: Toccata (Fresh Aire III)

Talk about showing one's age LOL.

Erlic

So many great things have been mentioned adn I didn't have a chance to read the whole list. Growing up in the late 70's and through the 80's my influences come from here.

Europe - Final Countdown ( Catchy and grabs you right away. It trancends most styles of music and is liked by most people.

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir, No quarter and all of my love. Just hits me in the spot.

ELO - Fire on High - probably the biggest part of why I wanted to play. Just weird, catchy, different. Every time I hear it, it still sends chills up my spine

Who - Won't get fooled again, baba o reily- Classics.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Touch and Go, simple yet catchy.

Fantasy - Aldo Nova - This guy was a programming guru. Its long been rumored he was the man behing the keyboard sound of the first 3 Bon Jovi Albums. He definately was involved with most of the programming.

Mr Crowley - Ozzy. Don Airey played this and it was a very dramatic moving piece. Its so simple to play but it sounds like so much more.

I know I'll think of others later. Admittedly I haven't heard everything mentioned, but coming from this group they all carry weight with me.

What a great idea for a thread!

Chris

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

It was definitely Scholz. I saw him play it live.

Ah yes, me too. Really good show.

I'm only halfway through this thread, but I can't believe nobody's mentioned "Black Magic Woman". Or are we all just too cool and musically hip to like the simple stuff? :rolleyes:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Whoa! I thought these "Braddahs" would get some!

Stevie Wonder:

Superstition, Higherground, Boogie On Reggae Wonder (still trying to learn that bad-ass bass line) and much more.

Sly and the Family Stone:

Hot Fun In the Summertime

Billy Preston:

Nothing From Nothing

Will It Go Round In Circles

Outa-Space

Billy Cobham:

Quardrant 4 with Jan Hammer's burning mini-moog intro.

Chick Corea: Ok it's a jazz classic, but I think "Spain" has one of the greatest keyboard intro's ever recorded - Chick plays a beautiful solo based on Rodrigo's"Concierto de Aranjuez" then plays the well-known riff that brings the band in.

Neil Larsen: Sudden Samba - a fusion classic with great organ solos and Buzz Feiten's great guitar solo.

Posted by Dementia13:

I didn't know anybody else ever heard them.
I bought it on a whim, just because of the title. Don't ask why but I did, and like you, I was pleased with the one and only tune that was fairly good on the album.

Erlic

Originally posted by MoJazz:

Billy Cobham:

Quardrant 4 with Jan Hammer's burning mini-moog intro.

**Beavis voice on**

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Huh huh huh huh huh... Jan Hammer is cool. Billy Cobham rules! Huh huh huh huh huh...

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I stayed away from mentioning Stevie and Sly because I don't really consider them "rock." They're "funk."

I'm so stupid for neglecting all of Billy and Elton's stuff, ESPECIALLY "Funeral". Time for me to start listening to all that again. Elton's piano playing (and music, in general), really nosedived after Blue Moves. I can't believe I forgot about Bruce Hornsby too. "Spider Fingers," "Harbor Lights" and "King of the Hill" have awesome piano intros.

Bah.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Sorry if I'm not letting a thread die its natural death, but I keep remembering songs that remind me of this thread, make me smack my forehead, and think, "how did this get left out?"

U2- Where the Streets Have No Name

and...when you think of piano intros, what comes to mind? That's right, the all-time great: "Joan Crawford has risen from the grave". Or were y'all just waiting for the Oct. 31, 2006 Allen Lanier appreciation day (refreshments include Blue Öysters on the half-shell) to bring that one up?

Mike Garson´s intros in Bowie´s Aladdin Sane (Time, Let´s Spend the Night Together, Lady Grinning Soul...)

I recently bought the Ziggy Stardust DVD and was really upset because there is not a single glimpse of Garson, even though there are shots of his piano being tuned at the beginning of the film. Well, actually the director shows little else than Bowie and some Ronson, with a couple of seconds each for Bolder and Woodmansey. :mad:

Happy The Man - "Service With A Smile"

Jeff Beck - "Led Boots", "Starcycle"

Robert Palmer (Gary Numan) - "I Dream Of Wires"

Sting - "Seven Days"

John Lennon - "Imagine"

David Bowie - "Be My Wife"

and others to be named later............

My iPod just spit out Genesis' "Watcher of the Skies". I love its moody build. "The Knife" is another real exciting one.

(Waking up from having knocked self out cold) How was "Carouselambra" not the first thing off the top of my head? (Along with "Watcher" and "Joan Crawford")?

Nice - Hang on to a Dream

Zep - Your Time is Gonna Come

Tempts - Can't Get Next to You (YES IT ROCKS!)

Boz Scaggs - Loan Me a Dime (remember that piano lick?)

Tull - Locomotive Breath

Dr. John - Mama Roux

Procol Harum - Whiter Shade

Les McCann & Eddie Harris - Compared to What (YES AGAIN!)

P-Funk - Flashlight (YES...!)

Quiicksilver Messenger Service - Edward The Mad Shirt Grinder

Savage Grace - All Along the Watchtower (harpsichord!)

Deep Purple - Hush (B3 paradiddles!)

Prince - Let's Go Crazy (YES!!!!)

and some James Gang tune whose name I forget, but it reminds me of Spooky Tooth's Waiting for the Wind.

I probably went over my quota - sorry.

Not.

:D

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Lots of great stuff has been mentioned. Here are a few of my picks:

Moody Blues-The Voice, Wildest Dreams, River of Endless Love, and lots of other Patrick Moraz era songs

Bon Jovi-Livin' on a Prayer (suspended chords sound great on an Oberheim!)

Ozzy Osbourne-Perry Mason (I was going to mention "No More Tears," but it's really more of a multi-instrumental thing going on)

ELPowell-The Score

Sorry to keep forgetting some others. This is my last post for now, I promise!

ELP-Pirates

ELP-One By One (great song on "In the Hot Seat," a largely weak album, with excellent intro and good outro)

ELP-Hand of Truth (very good 2 minute intro, it starts off "In the Hot Seat"; this intro, their cover of "Man in a Long Black Coat," "One by One," and "Daddy" are the highlights of this last ELP studio album to date)

These are from PianoJazz1951:

Break On Through - Doors

What Did I Say - Ray Charles

And one from me:

Stevie Wonder

You Are The sunshine of My Life

Don't You Worry Bout a Thang

Here's a great one I forgot:

The Band - Chest Fever

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Archived