Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A pleasant Tuesday evening

Dave Bryce

Okay, check this out...

As some of you know, I'm friends with an artist named Lindsay Pagano who is signed to WB. She's an amazingly talented 15-year-old singer from Philly - those of you who read Anderton's thread may remember me talking about Paul McCartney having done a duet with her on her debut album... :eek:

Anyway, so I got a call on Monday night that Lindsay had been tapped to sing a song at a fund-raiser for Gray Davis (the governor of California) on Tuesday and that she wanted to sing with just a keyboard player - would I be able to play for her?

I, of course, was happy to do so. She's really talented, and a lot of fun to be around as well...

So, get this - it turns out that we were the opener, and that the other two acts were the Backstreet Boys and the Eagles. I have to say - I was actually pretty impressed by the Backstreet boys. They did an a capella bit that was pretty great. The Eagles were, of course, totally amazing (if you like that kind of thing) - it was really great to see them up close.

Needless to say, a good time was had by all...they even brought in a real Rhodes for me. :thu::cool:

I kinda had to share that one... :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way cool, Dave.

I backed up the Eagles once. Yeah, Frank, Ed, and Louie from the local Eagles Lodge needed an opening act for their polka band. I got free food and beer!

:D:D:D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Were you nervous? :) I would also like to know what she sang. "God Bless America" maybe or something like that.

I did a gig like that for the National Leukemia Foundation where this 12 year old boy (who has the desease BTW) sang "The Impossible Dream". The stage was in the center of the Convention Center here with thousands in attendance plus it was being filmed. Just grand piano and vocalist. I was nervous as hell. Thank God I made it through with no klinkers. I forgot the singers name though

they said he had done some work in a broadway show. He started to go off key a little bit toward the end (not and easy song to sing) but luckily he got back on before the last verse. Whew!!!!

Originally posted by lrossmusic:

I would also like to know what she sang. "God Bless America" maybe or something like that.

Actually, it was exactly that, except we angled towards more of an R&B/gospel type of thing than the traditional groove. The Rhodes made that easy - ain't nothin' like the real thing...

The whole concert was less than 45 minutes. We opened with God Bless America, then the Back Street Boys did a four-minute a capella medley of their songs. The Eagles closed the show with Peaceful Easy Feeling, Love Will Keep Us Alive, Desperado, Take it Easy, and then encored with Take it to the Limit.

It was at the (freakin' huge!) Beverly Hills estate of Haim Saban, who I guess is responsible for the Power Rangers and a bunch of animation. The place was huge, and crawling with all kinds of folks (including, of course, the governor) - at one point I was standing between Irving Azoff and Pat O'Brien (who MC'd the event) watching the Lakers game in the Eagles dressing room. Both are a big Lakers fans...

I was told that there were all sorts of politicos as well as Hollywood bigwigs there, but I have no idea what any of them look like so I couldn't tell you whom. In all honesty, I spent most of my time hanging out backstage watching the Lakers lose. :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Sounds like one of those "Gigs From Heaven!"

Congrats.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Excuse me... you went to the Saban Estate

and you DIDN'T TAKE ME WITH YOU!

I'm beautiful... I'm blonde.. and I look

REALLY good at those sorts of parties!

Instead, I went to an AES meeting

and listened to a lecture on Dual Channel

FFT analyzers... yeah!

:cry:

Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Needless to say, a good time was had by all...they even brought in a real Rhodes for me. :thu::cool:

A real Rhodes + the Eagles, and they couldn't mix in "I Can't Tell You Why"?

Congrats, Dave

Hey, dB - congrats on the cool gig!

Just returned from the Pacific NW and just stopped in to see what was cookin' with everyone here.

If you've got to accompany a singer on "God Bless America", that sounds like as cool an event as you could've asked for! :D

Hope all's going great...

lz

Archived