Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM MEMBERS - CDs/downloads available?

Dave Bryce

I understand all that, DB, but with all due respect I don't agree with it at all. Musicians need all the help they can get to promote their music, especially we in the jazz community, and I don't see why it's a big deal to have a separate thread for one's CD. Nobody is going to spend the time to go back through all 10 pages of this thread and find the discs hidden in here. It's like CD purgatory.

I would understand it if Keyboard Magazine was primarily a CD reviewing publication, but it's not. It has a few CD reviews per month (and I've tried repeatedly to get them to review mine with no luck) but I think everyone would agree that it's main focus is gear reviews and thus I don't see how this could be considered a conflict of interest.

I also don't see how it could be considered SPAM considering that this forum is populated by fellow players, many of whom are making a living from music. I certainly love to know what you or marino (to name but a few) are up to musically but I'm not going to wade through this thread to find out.

I think I've proven myself to be a valuable contributor to this forum in the last 8 years, sharing my knowledge and expertise about Hammonds and the technique of playing them. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I also believe other members are interested in what I'm doing musically.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand all that, DB, but with all due respect I don't agree with it at all. Musicians need all the help they can get to promote their music, especially we in the jazz community, and I don't see why it's a big deal to have a separate thread for one's CD.

Becuase it's using this forum to pitch and sell to the community.

Nobody is going to spend the time to go back through all 10 pages of this thread and find the discs hidden in here. It's like CD purgatory.

Individual threads would be worse, Jim - they'd vanish forever with no reliable way to resurrect them.

We can't say for sure that no one will go through the whole thread...although it doesn't seem likely...but they might. I suggest that the info is much less likely to be found if they're individual threads.

I would understand it if Keyboard Magazine was primarily a CD reviewing publication, but it's not. It has a few CD reviews per month (and I've tried repeatedly to get them to review mine with no luck) but I think everyone would agree that it's main focus is gear reviews and thus I don't see how this could be considered a conflict of interest.

It's not a conflict of interest. it's about turning this forum into a marketplace. it opens the door for any of a number of things...and my general feeling is that people would prefer this be a sell free zone.

I work for a high end audio manufacturer. If you can pitch your records, shouldn't I be able to pitch my gear? You see where I'm going with this, of course...you might see the difference, but I don't want to have to take the time to argue with those who won't...and as sure as Kevin Anker likes his pianos in mono, there'll definitely be those who won't.

I think I've proven myself to be a valuable contributor to this forum in the last 8 years, sharing my knowledge and expertise about Hammonds and the technique of playing them. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I also believe other members are interested in what I'm doing musically.

No doubt. I certainly am. That's why I want to be able to always find that info...

I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Totally, and I completely appreciate you taking the time to share your POV. Hopefully the reason for this policy is clearer now...the last thing I wanna do is bust balls/prevent people from sharing their music.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Would it be worth considering having an area similar to Garage Sale for this or would it be too much of a ghetto?

Just a thought off the top of my head.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Anyways, utilizing your signature is probably the best route for promotion around here, especially for regular posters.

...and its free ;)

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

One forum I'm on has an area called "Shameless Plugs" where people start threads about their music, CDs for sale, movies, their bands, their websites, etc.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

One forum I'm on has an area called "Shameless Plugs" where people start threads about their music, CDs for sale, movies, their bands, their websites, etc.

That's actually not a bad idea....we'd definitely be opening ourselves up for people coming here solely for the purpose of promotion and sales, but it'd be off in a sub forum like the classifieds.

Perhaps we should start a thread to take the temperature of the forum members on this one.

dB

Perhaps we should start a thread to take the temperature of the forum members on this one.
Go for it.

I think it should have some rules, such as having to be an established member to post there (similar to Garage Sale), and maybe suggested formatting of the thread titles so we can see what the person is plugging. We can discuss this in the new thread.

Thanks for the explanation, DB. I appreciate you taking the time.

If it's any consolation, B3-er, I got excited last month when my new CD was released and posted about it in its own thread in the general forum. Dave merged my thread here too, and I've known dB on a personal basis long before this forum existed.

I tend to think that the forum would lose some appeal if we all started separate threads on our music releases. Considering how many of us do record and release music, it could actually get ugly quick. At the same time, I agree with you that being in a no-man's-land general thread isn't helpful to us, or the people who might want to check out our stuff. But I don't have any alternative solutions to that either.

All in all, I guess the current policy beats a forum full of spam... even music spam from long-time forum contributors, and I've been here going on 10 years now.

Dave merged my thread here too, and I've known dB on a personal basis long before this forum existed.

My last CD's announcement is on page three of this thread, and I've known me even longer... :D

I actually really like this thread. It's not that long (I show it as 4 pages in my browser, and I think it's cool to be able to go from one person's post to the next....but I suppose it'd be just as easy to go from one thread to the next.

dB

I think it's cool to be able to go from one person's post to the next...

I do as well. This thread has always seemed like "fair play" to me. :thu: It's an announcement thread. Keep it simple and it works.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Just bumping this because tonight at midnight, the pre-order Level 4 expires! Get in on the ground floor and get your name in the CD!

Our new live CD, ALIVE & KICKIN', is now available for pre-order at the Big O Store. I'm very proud of this one! It pulls together tunes from all three of our studio releases, but we're in our element playing in front of a very appreciate audience and we stretch and pull those tunes in different directions than their studio CD counterparts.

We like to do pre-orders to help raise funds to produce the CD. We're all self-funded, you know! :) There is a companion DVD available as well for a bit more. Check out the four levels of pre-orders here:

http://www.big-o-records.com/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

Samples are on the page linked above. I hope you'll consider being a part of this release! Thanks!

Two videos from the release:

Enjoy and thanks!

New Focal Point CD "Reaching"

Our first CD release

It's all original songs some classic rock sounding, some Retro, some swamp music "Something's Going On".

I pain stakingly did the tracking and mixing - first time - big learning curve.

The Keyboards used are - Kurzweil PC2X, Roland VR760 combo, Mark 1 Fender Rhodes, & Korg X2

The CD & individual downloads are on CDbaby and Digstation.

Some full length clips can be heard on our myspace page:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/focalpoint

http://www.digstation.com/AlbumDetails.aspx?albumID=ALB000033602

http://www.myspace.com/fpbandnet

Thanks for checking it out.

• 4 years later...

I've got a jazz funk album (in the vein of Headhunters available now) - it features a suitcase Rhodes, Clavinet, Solina, Moogs etc.

CDs available worldwide directly from the band:

RESOLUTION 88 S/T CD

The album is also available from iTunes:

RESOLUTION 88 on iTunes

Amazon:

RESOLUTION 88 on Amazon

Google Play: RESOLUTION 88 on Google Play

Thanks,

Tom

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone, it's me again!

About two years ago I posted on this forum about my synthesizer arrangement of "The Planets". Well, the project lingered on for another couple years, while I made revisions here and there, and touched up the mastering. Finally, I can say it's complete!

You can download the album from CD Baby: http://www.cdbaby.com/AlbumDetails.aspx?AlbumID=mikeleghorn3. Hint: get the FLAC version!

You're welcome to listen to the tracks on my Soundcloud page, but you you can't download: http://soundcloud.com/mike-leghorn/sets/the-planets.

Here's a link to my original post from two years ago: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2426262/1

I was very please by all your positive responses.

A couple notes about this arrangement:

In this interpretation I strived to preserve the underlying spirit of Holst's work while immersing the listener in an abstract sound world that is unique, yet as rich and detailed as a real orchestra. All sounds used were synthesized, i.e. no samples were used.

I took special pains to make this arrangement authentic and definitive. Tempos and nuances in phrasing and colors were influenced by my study of a broad range recordings, including one by Holst himself. Additionally, Ive enlisted the expertise of one of the most formidable authorities on "The Planets", Neil Arthur Williams.

I hope you enjoy!

• 4 years later...

Hi

Somehow I missed this thread so here goes - our DVD is Prog on the Tyne available on Amazon :cool:

Here's a preview:

[video:youtube]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prog-Tyne-Evening-Ultimate-Genesis/dp/B01M7ZS84X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543407318&sr=8-1&keywords=Los+Endos+Ultimate+Genesis

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I think we're supposed to use the shameless plugs section that is pinned now.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Archived