Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

COVER CD: Sign up HERE!!!

Dave Bryce

So, ir seems we're going to move ahead with the cover CD...I'm very psyched. I'm sure that it'll be really cool.

All tunes are due in by no later than December 31st, 2001. There will be no mp3 phase - just send a final 16 bit 44.1kHz version of your tune to me:

David Bryce

PMB 669

2060-D Avenida de Los Arboles

Thousand Oaks, CA, 91362-1361

We're going to limit the tunes to 5 minutes in length - no longer, please...Jerry - there goes your Gates of Delirium cover...the full version, anyway... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Please use this thread to declare your intention to participate - I'd really like to get an idea of how many tunes to expect.

If you wish, please feel free to tell us what song you're going to submit - or keep it a secret...or drop hints...or whatever, as long as you let us know that you've got something coming. Further, you are welcome to tell us what you have in mind regarding how you're planning on rendering your selection, or you can surprise everyone.

As I have already declared, I will be submitting a nasty little version of the old Genesis song "The Light Dies Down on Broadway". Heavy synths, heavy guitars, and of course heavy synths.

So? Who's in fer sure?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in.

I plan on doing a drastically different arrangement of...something. I may take a very organic, acoustic-driven original and make it all technofied. Or, vice-versa, I may do a sparse rendition of something very heavily layered in the original.

In case you get the idea I have no idea what I'm specifically going to do, you're right...but I will do something by 12/31/01.

- Jeff

I'm in.

I hope I'll be able to get something decent done for then. I will probably try to do a few and send them all to you and let you choose which (if any) would make the CD.

I'm looking at Gary Wright, XTC, Kevin Gilbert, Jellyfish, and others as possibilities (all of which are beyond my abilities ).

Blades

www.mp3.com/Subtle_Nuance - Can't Stop

or my current Kevin Gilbert cover tune at

www.kevingilbert.com/FromHereToThereBlades.mp3

and... of course...

I'm IN !!!

I'm submitting my rendition of "La Cucaracha" http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ...

Thanks Dave! Just another great idea from yours.

------------------

Gus Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

Gus TraX @musicplayer.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I think I'm gonna hafta jump in the pool on this one. I got inspired listening to the first one, which I was too busy at the time to get in on. Unfortunately that's not the case now, but the good side is that I've got more time to do projects like this. Count me in! Just don't put mine right after Steve LaBlanc's! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

BTW, I'm leaning heavily towards an instrumental, much funkier version of a Billy Joel tune. Ya know, the one that starts with piano and a guy whistling. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

I'm in - thinking of doing something with (no-one is to vomit please):

1. Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield

2. some similarly tacky 80's ditty.

------------------

www.mp3.com/thirdstoreystory

Okay, I've got a steep learning curve here about PC recording, but I'll give it a shot. Not sure I can pull it off.

I plan on doing Shepherd Moons by Enya.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

My trouble is trying to pick a tune to do.

I haven't vacillated this much in a long time.

I'm considering Eruption (Tarkus) Bebop style or the theme to Lost in Space, or maybe an organ version of Riders on the Storm, unless I go with something like Space Circus or Senior Mouse. I could always do Linus and Lucy.

I just can't make up my mind!!!

Carl

Hey Carl, I was considering doing Eruption from Tarkus too!! It won't be bebop for sure, anyway. I was thinking of some crazed cartoon score version, like, "is there nothing sacred left?!?" It would be nice to have two contrasting versions!

But only thing I can say is, I still don't know. I'm unbelievably busy at the moment, so I think I'll do it in December... Everything can happen. I'm oriented toward something totally different from the original, possibly funny too. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

marino

This message has been edited by marino on 09-26-2001 at 11:25 PM

I'm in as well. I'm trying to decide whether my effort should be serious, a twisted version of serious tune, or a serious version of a twisted tune (an orchestral/Penderecki version of "Rubber Ducky" comes to mind).

Better yet, maybe I can get Diana Krall to sing "The Lumberjack Song"... she is Canadian after all http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Should be interesting...

I'm in.

I was thinking A National Acrobat or Sweet Caroline, lovely songs to do seriously in my own style, but I've settled on a tune by a lesser-known 20th-century Rumanian composer because I think he should be very popular, a very swanky modern (and eastern) Schubert you might say.

-CB

I am in... with my version of a song performed by Annie Lennox (on her "Medusa" album). I wouldn't reveal the song's title as of yet, but I must say that it's a lovely-artsy-pop-ditty which I always liked and so I hope, many of you. (Don't be afraid, I will not sing. My wife will. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif )

This message has been edited by Gulliver on 10-01-2001 at 10:29 AM

I am back.

Cool. This is gonna be fun.

FWIW, I don't think that any of you should let what others are doing influence your selection. There's nothing wrong with more than one version of a tune - I think multiple Eruptions in different styles could be interesting!

Who else is in?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I plan on doing Shepherd Moons by Enya.

Cool Joe...Go for it...that could be very interesting.

I don't think I'll have the time to participate in this one...I've got a whole bunch of original stuff that needs to be recorded plus I'm going to be covering a couple of friends' tunes.

Dave, don't you mean "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"?

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

Dave, don't you mean "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"?

Nope. Song 9, side 2, album 2. "The Light Dies Down on Broadway." It's a reprise-ish version of the tune with different lyrics, if I remember correctly. (And frankly, the fact that I can remember where it is surprises even ME!)

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by PatAzz:

I'm trying to decide whether my effort should be serious, a twisted version of serious tune, or a serious version of a twisted tune (an orchestral/Penderecki version of "Rubber Ducky" comes to mind).

He he... It's gonna be fun. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

Cool Joe...Go for it...that could be very interesting.

Well, I don't know how it will turn out, it's been 10 years since I've done any studio work, and I've never done my own engineering. That said, If I want to do things like criticize other's work, then I have to be willing to put mine out there too, and put my money where my mouth is. So, by hook or by crook, whatever I get done, regardless of how I think it turns out, will be sent to Dave.

I'm in,

I have not yet decided which song to do, but I'm thinking of something Swedish.

And something that you're familiar with. Maybe something from Max Martin.:D

Probably not, but we'll see what comes up later on.

First I'm going to finish the song I'm recording right now.

------------------

--Smedis,--

Nope. Song 9, side 2, album 2. "The Light Dies Down on Broadway." It's a reprise-ish version of the tune with different lyrics, if I remember correctly. (And frankly, the fact that I can remember where it is surprises even ME!)

Oh yeah, right...I stand corrected...I forgot about that tune.

Originally posted by PatAzz:

Better yet, maybe I can get Diana Krall to sing "The Lumberjack Song"... she is Canadian after all http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

I don't think it would have the same effect as Michael Palin, because Diana already dresses like a girlie...

Archived