Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Here is a demo I wrote for AFP, a television show I want to score. Jesse Negron is working on the second season of American Fighter Pilot, a reality show about a Navy fighter pilot training school. His original demo used Nine Inch Nails, the first season sounded like Hans Zimmer/Media Ventures, and now he's leaning towards Evanescence for a music score. I tried to cover all of these styles in this demo.

One of the highlights was arranging a choral piece for my wife Anna to sing. We recorded it in our living room one part at a time. She told me that the part I wrote is nearly unsingable. I'm used to writing for synthesizers, which never have to breathe. She wrote the lyrics by borrowing latin phrases from Bach masses (thank you Google). I also recorded myself playing guitar for the first time -- I think the guitar parts add a lot of energy to the piece. Try to picture banking fighter jets and planes launching off of aircraft carriers during the guitar sections.

For the studio geeks out there, 90% of the orchestral and drum sounds are coming from GigaStudio 3, using libraries from Sonic Implants, Larry Seyer, Project SAM and Westgate Studios. The synth parts are mostly Alesis Andromeda, except for Super Jupiter on bass and Spectrasonics Atmosphere on voice pads. Loops are mostly Spectrasonics Stylus, and guitar was recorded direct using Nomad Factory's Rock Amp Legends plug-in.

Oh yeah, I think I got the gig. :) Wait, did I just commit to writing 10+ hours of music?

AFP Demo (5.7MB)

This one's just for fun - somebody posted the first live-in-the-backyard recording from this year's 4th Annual Jamfest & BBQ (a joint production of www.homerec.com and www.recordingproject.com ), held in Connecticut in August each year. About 60 of us this year, but I was the only keyboardist. LOTS of guitar players - not sure what that says about home recording demographics in general...

http://www.autocyt.com/jtgfiles/JF2004-whitershadeofpale.mp3

Of all the keyboard classics I've ever played, this is definitely one of em, LOL. That's me on QS-8, VTGreen81 on stix, and FMMahoganyrush (our host) on guitar and vox. I believe we had a bass player along for the ride on this - sure sounds that way - but I'm drawing a blank on who it was.

I was really pleased with the QS-8 sound on this. Think I was using the 3BarsFull patch on the Vintage Keys card. Yay Dave!

I was telling the guys at RP that this was one of the first rock/pop songs I ever learned, 30+ years ago now. I've never gotten tired of it.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Hey,

If you have some time, check out my latest work at http://www.download.com/dirtyrubberduck

I had a number of people record guitars/bass/drums for my tunes and mixed them all together in Sonar. It was a labor of love completed over about 2 years. I was pretty happy with the results, now I just need some help with the marketing part of the recording deal!

I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of fellow musicians - both good and ugly.

Thanks!

DRD

• 1 month later...

ok, here are links to some excerpts from scores i did for various visuals, with sml description of equipment used:

Rising From The Ashes - animation (1997)- E4XT, JD990, Trinity, REV500

Opening Titles , What Lays Ahead - motion picture(2003) - E4XTU, Kontakt, Triton St, TC4000

Rising To Power - experimental film(2001) - E4XTU, REV500

Headline News HTV - Croatian Television(2000) - JD990, E4XTU, FS1R, REV500

Dream Sequence , End Credits - short film(2003) - E4XTU, Kontakt, TC4000

Inferno - experimental film(2002) - E4XTU, Midicomb VSTp, FS1R, Loops

End Titles - animation(2000) - E4XTU

for more info, you can check my website.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

• 3 weeks later...

Well, with the recent on-again, off-again happenings [insert typical band tribulations story here], I had held off posting any music here on the forum, but things seem to be going fairly steadily again, so here it goes:

This tune, from The Lounge Mob , was recorded live straight from the board, so the mix is a little off....

Mob Boss (MP3 format; 3.9 MB)

Tirteen (MP3 format; 4.7 MB)

Kirby

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my band's off again, while the drummer hides out from some angry women, LOL. Meantime, here's something we recorded in the basement of one of the angry women a couple of months ago. Just a funk jam that turned into a Miles thing when the guest trumpeter took us in that direction.

It was just a jam, so my usual discretion and good taste (yeah, right) went out the window, as I was trying out as many Zawinulesque ideas as I could fit in - except the one about leaving lots of space, LOL.

Mix was out of my control - guitarist's rig (Korg I think?). He mixed himself kinda low, and me kinda high. I'm using a QS-8 with the vintage keys card - yay DB! Forget which patch this is, but it records real nice.

Link is to my RPMedia page, cos we're not allowed to deeplink over there. Tune title is "Channeling Miles". Anyhow, let me know what you think...

http://www.recordingproject.com/media/select.php?mediaid=49&category=53

Daf

I wasn't sure if I wanted to release this, but I most likely will not be using the song in it's demo form. It will probably be completely rewritten or just not used at all. It's also available at the redesigned site. The little noise in it is intentional, but probably not the best idea for a final release.

http://www.thecarbonflaw.com/music/tdoad_demo.mp3 128 kbps, 4.9 MB

Originally posted by Gulliver:

Phait (the King of Avantguard! ;) ),

I'm afraid your latest opus is a bit too sparse for my taste... :confused:

Yeah it is sparse, I didn't really know what to do with it, and I got tired of working with it, so I just decided to release it as a demo. Who knows what'll happen with it.

Thanks for listening though.

Originally posted by Phait:

Originally posted by Gulliver:

Phait (the King of Avantguard! ;) ),

I'm afraid your latest opus is a bit too sparse for my taste... :confused:

Yeah it is sparse, I didn't really know what to do with it, and I got tired of working with it, so I just decided to release it as a demo. Who knows what'll happen with it.

Thanks for listening though.

Well phait,

I get a little depressed by the song, but I think that's exactly what your purpose is with the song. Not the thing I would listen to in my car or something, but do like it in a way.

Rudy

my speakers are out on a job site daf, but i can't wait to get them back and give your stuff a listen. (I already know what Phait's up to)

:)

Originally posted by DafDuc:

let me know what you think...

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Uh-oh Daf, I'm in trouble. :( Disregard what I have to say please, but I did promise I'd comment.

I listened to your band doing the Miles Davis thing and -- how do I put this -- I don't feel the invitation to get involved. I don't know if that's because I don't spend enough time getting comfortable with the feeling this kind of groove gives me, ..I don't like the feeling! It's like finding yourself dressed all wrong. But, don't take this personally Daf because I'm not into the real Miles Davis either. It just feels like music written (played) by the musicians for the musicians. I find myself getting almost nervous and trapped by the repetitious bass line and beat. I think, oh my god, if it was me on the keyboard, what would I do???

good job. :cool: I'll take another beer on my way under the table.

oN the other hand, GREAT job from a church organist. That's a kick and a half.

And I just realized this review says way more about me than it does about you, so it should be easy to disregard. :thu:

Originally posted by DafDuc:

Well, my band's off again, while the drummer hides out from some angry women, LOL. Meantime, here's something we recorded in the basement of one of the angry women a couple of months ago. Just a funk jam that turned into a Miles thing when the guest trumpeter took us in that direction.

It was just a jam, so my usual discretion and good taste (yeah, right) went out the window, as I was trying out as many Zawinulesque ideas as I could fit in - except the one about leaving lots of space, LOL.

Mix was out of my control - guitarist's rig (Korg I think?). He mixed himself kinda low, and me kinda high. I'm using a QS-8 with the vintage keys card - yay DB! Forget which patch this is, but it records real nice.

Link is to my RPMedia page, cos we're not allowed to deeplink over there. Tune title is "Channeling Miles". Anyhow, let me know what you think...

http://www.recordingproject.com/media/select.php?mediaid=49&category=53

Daf

The mp3 is a little 'swishy'

I'm diggin' the jam...kinda' funny :) ...cool.

Gangsu, plenty of critics will agree with you about the whole Miles BB&B (Bitches Brew and Beyond) phenomenon. At its best, it's sort of thematic pointillism - several theme clips are repeated, layered, altered slightly, all over an "infectious" groove - but plenty of folks are immune to the infection.

And THAT'S in the hands of the masters. When a bunch of amateur hacks get involved, it can degenerate to a submusical mulligan stew that neither nourishes nor tickles the palate.

I'm thinking we landed in the middle there - I was WAY too busy to make the pointillism thing happen, but the other guys did their jobs, and an improved mix, one that deemphasized the keys, would take it close to where it was supposed to be.

BTW, I'm really a barband player masquerading as a church organist, rather than vice-versa...

Best,

Jay

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

it was just a jam, the biggest benefit of doing stuff like this is often what you learn about your own playing afterwards.

True dat!!!

Yeah, woulda been fun if my Rhodes were there, but it's got a busted sustain setup. And I always HATED lugging that thing around...

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Steve.

Daf

That's my band's website. If someone wants, he/she can visit either the "audio" folder (to hear some tracks recorded live in a club 4 years ago), or "tracks" (to listen to 2 of our songs, officialy released in our CD).

Have fan

The site:

www.happydogproject.com

Regards

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

hey DafDuc, I can't seem to find personal deliverance from the incongruity of liking your posts and liking your music less. I need to let it go and I can't! Geez. So, I figure I owe it to you or somebody to get serious about Miles Davis and all that bleak deserted wrong side of the tracks stuff, oh oh oh, for at least as long as I've dwelt on my own inadequacies. Sounds like a Lenten thing. Would you agree to allowing me to let it go til then?? It's almost christmas...I need happy thoughts! Happy Holidays to you and yours, Daf. BTW, who knows what constitutes a church organist. If only we could all claim such diversity.

Thanks for the note!

Sue

Gangsu,

MOST of my stuff isn't anything like the Miles jam. As a matter of fact, most of my stuff isn't like most of the rest of my stuff - I'm all over the map.

So here's a love song to my better half you might like better - you'll have to get past my voice, though. :rolleyes:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/cgi-bin/dl/1103218316/graytail/02_beautifful_still.mp3

xxxoo,

Daf

Thou hast delivered me! Thanks for the tune, Daf. Yesss, this is way more my style. I didn't have to get past your voice at all. I just had to turn my head so you wouldn't catch me blushing at the guitar lick in the middle. Gawd I'm such a girl. :D

What piano were you playing? It sounds incredibly real.

Nice tune, daf. I really like it. In fact, I had to blink to keep my appreciation under control. Thanks! Sue

Believe it or not, that was an mdaPiano - a freebie VSTi from Millenium Digital Audio. I use it on most of my piano tracks.

Thanks for the props on the tune, Sue - Kim's quite a girl. That was for our 25th anniversary.

Daf