Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2 Tier Stands

JamesInPA

As mentioned in the conversation, K&M, I have both the 18820 and the 18953 (wider version of 18950), with stackers on them, and when I installed the stackers I was quite surprised of how flexible they are in all directions.

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Another vote for K&M stands.  I use their table stand, 18950 with the 18952 stacker. 
I mostly play solo and the table stand is sturdy and folds down in seconds.  When I use a 2nd keyboard the stackers take a minute to attach and you can adjust the angle, height and position over your bottom board.  It’s expensive but solid and easy to use. 

IMG_0026.png

IMG_0027.png

IMG_0028.png

IMG_0029.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

That's incredible easy to solve.

My Gibraltar tubes did not come in red.  They're the standard chrome

spacer.png

Enter Dupli-Color Automotive MetalCast paint.  I knew about this paint from my race car days.

Designed to be pained over chrome, and adheres with no prep other than a cleaning, to the chrome Gibraltar tubes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

You can get many colors, including a black smoke

Here's just a few

spacer.png

You can also create a black chrome with the proper metalcast base coat.

I'm happy to walk anyone thru it if they want

Thank you for this

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

19 hours ago, Tom Williams said:

At the risk of Blasphemy, the OnStage is more versatile than the Invisible stand (I have both) due to the former's ability to adjust both height and tilt for the upper tier.  My Invisible stand is essentially just two parallel metal shelves.

Yes, no doubt, many stands are more versatile than the Invisible. The Invisible just happens to be very good at one commonly desired kind of setup that almost no other stand is good at. 😉 The K&M 18880 system is unusual in being versatile and able to pretty much give you what the Invisible did. I'm not sure about the OnStage Z. Does it let you flip the top tier backwards, or perhaps "slide" its arms so far back that they can be completely behind the bottom board? (though you might want to remove its front lips to use it that way.) The pics posted (of that and others) do not seem to really address the OP's request for "a 2 tier stand that gets the keyboards close together like the old invisible stands did" (or, at least, could).

Here's pic of the K&M "emulating" an Invisible. The front of the top keyboard is lying right on the rear of the bottom keyboard (can't get closer than that!)... and in that case, how far forward you can bring the top board (to keep the keys close on the other axis) will depend on the bottom board, i.e. how much panel space you need to keep accessible. Stacking this way isn't always ideal (i.e. if the bottom board has a deep panel, you might be better off adding height to the top tier to allow overlap), but sometimes it is.

ScreenShot2024-09-17at7_55_07PM.thumb.jpg.f439f14afabcdaa8b4419f84b8f26ac4.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

8 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

The front of the top keyboard is lying right on the rear of the bottom keyboard

I'm Mike, and I approve this ergonomic model.

@AnotherScott or other 18880 owners - can the horizontal arms of the stacker be removed from the upright brackets that attach to the 1-tier stand? That way you could position boards in this way (top board resting on the uprights at the back, and on the lower board at the front) without the flipped horizontal arms protruding behind the rig.

This kind of thing (using my Stagg stand)?

stand1board(Small).JPG.7d2fe82fec1aa28b9cf95d5ac427ca05.JPG

Cheers, Mike.

4 hours ago, stoken6 said:

@AnotherScott or other 18880 owners - can the horizontal arms of the stacker be removed from the upright brackets that attach to the 1-tier stand? That way you could position boards in this way (top board resting on the uprights at the back, and on the lower board at the front) without the flipped horizontal arms protruding behind the rig.

With something like a sawzall, I suppose. 😉 It doesn't naturally come apart like that, but being aluminum, it should at least be easy to cut.

But if all you want is posts sticking up, rather than buying any stacker at all, it would be simple and cheap to try putting some long wooden dowels into the stacker opening in the base, cut to the height you want. But I don't know, it might not give you the stability you'd want. I wonder if there is a dowel diameter that would be the right fit where it wouldn't have play.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

44 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

With something like a sawzall, I suppose. 😉 It doesn't naturally come apart like that, but being aluminum, it should at least be easy to cut.

But if all you want is posts sticking up, rather than buying any stacker at all, it would be simple and cheap to try putting some long wooden dowels into the stacker opening in the base, cut to the height you want. But I don't know, it might not give you the stability you'd want. I wonder if there is a dowel diameter that would be the right fit where it wouldn't have play.

I used a hacksaw to cut about 4 inches off of the arms of the stacker, the aluminum cuts very easily-

--dj

• Like 2

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Just now, Montunoman 2 said:

I wonder if Liquid Stand’s are any good? They come with wheels which could be handy. Good price too. 

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Stands-Piano-Keyboard-Wheels/dp/B0DBZM6N9X?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A205NGHGNY52SP

The problem with stands like that is the setup and breakdown is much too time consuming.  I had the On Stage KS7365EJ and it is a great, solid stand, just not suitable for gigging.  I do have one in my studio, as it never gets broken down.

-dj

• Like 1

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

For anyone in the north of England (UK) looking for K&M stands, I am selling a brand new set 18880 and 18881 for less than the price of just the 18880 and throwing in a gig bag! I also have the K&M tablet holder that fits these stands 🙂

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5