Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Interface are you using for your Mainstage Rig - 2024 edition

After resisting for 15 years, I think I need to finally get my Mainstage rig together. I have too many fly dates happening and they are having trouble scrounging up the now discontinued Montage 7.

What rock solid interface do people use these days for their Macbooks and Mainstage? I did a show recently playing Synth 2 for 'Batman 1989' and they had a MOTU interface for their Macs with Mainstage. I'm leaning that way. I think I would probably use the actual MIDI in on the back.

Anything else I should consider? Probably going to go get on in the next 24-48 hrs.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I use a Radial KL-8 to for my hardware/software combo rig, and it is rock solid, very flexible, and sounds great. I’m thinking about getting a Key Largo for smaller gigs so I don’t have to bring a rack. 

• Like 2

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I have been using a MOTU ultralite mk4 for a few years, but it bricked on me, and MOTU couldn't resolve the issue. In the year(s) before it truly stopped working, it had some issues where a loud pop would trigger on all outputs (not audio from the laptop, but something internal to the unit was generating this issue).

There also was a mechanical (that is, you can hear the MOTU itself make the noise without speakers attached) 'click' that happened at the end of the boot-up sequence along with a spike to the main outs that the MOTU folks assured me was part of the design that always made me feel skeptical. And, it also meant that if I needed to restart the MOTU for any reason, I had to be sure to disconnect or mute any speakers I was feeding.

When it was working, it was a great interface which allowed me to set up separate mixes for FOH and my own monitors. However, for the $$ along with my singular experience with reliability and quirks, I wouldn't go back to that unit.

I have a MOTU M2 I've been using as my quick-and-dirty interface at home, and it doesn't have the noise on boot that the Ultralite did. Nor does it have the internal mixer/DSP/routing capabilities. I'm going to give the M2 a try at some gigs this fall, but it might be a good fit if you only need MIDI in and out and a single set of stereo outs. The M4 and M6 have more ins and outs, if you need that, but no advanced mixing in-unit.

Bottom line, I'd go for the most reliable and easy-to-implement option you can find, and do not worry about tomorrow's requirements. I got the ultralite because I imagined "someday" I might do a gig with more outboard sounds/boards, or more complicated monitoring needs (say, sending a click from Mainstage on a separate channel). However, neither of those materialized in the time I owned the ultralite, so I definitely paid for (and had greater complication from) features I didn't use.

I know there are folks here (paging @EscapeRocks ?) who love the Focusrite 18i20.

• Like 1

Not using Mainstage (rather Cantabile3/Win11), but the interface is a big part of any Virtual/MIDI setup.

I think most of the common brands (Focusrite, Motu, PreSonus, etc) current models are all very good with latency, which is probably the most important spec for live performance. I have been using RME Fireface UCX II, which is higher end $$$, but when I bought it they were by far the best rated for latency - maybe not so much anymore. My gen-3 Focusrite Scarlett (was like $250) that I use at my home office workstation also has acceptable latency.

Read up on brand/model comparisons and benchmarks if you're serious about getting a good one.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

1 minute ago, vonnor said:

Read up on brand/model comparisons and benchmarks if you're serious about getting a good one.

Will do. I consider this forum to be one of the critical forms of due diligence on the matter.

27 minutes ago, NewImprov said:

I’m thinking about getting a Key Largo for smaller gigs so I don’t have to bring a rack. 

I can use my Key Largo for this!?! 😲 I feel like a fool for not knowing this.

• Like 3

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

Can PC users play?

As someone who hasn't played hardware live since 2008, I would highly recommend putting together a rig encased in the SKB 2u Studio Flyer. It is the size of carry-on luggage / a pilot's case, and it holds all your cabling, laptop / power supply, power conditioner, and interface.

I have a 1u Furman in mine, along with my Presonus Quantum 2626 Thunderbolt interface, but you can use a rack shelf to affix smaller interfaces to it, too. All of my cabling stores in the back, and I just have a few odds & ends (USB cable, IEMs, headphone extender cable, etc.) in a small, second bag.

I'm on my second Studio Flyer (I actually still have a first gen one that I need to sell). I can't imagine having a software-based rig without one.

Oh, and the Quantum 2626 has been rock solid since I bought it 3 years ago. Super low latency (less than 3ms round-trip in Cantabile), and it sounds great! My current computer is my first with Thunderbolt, so I decided to lose the USB interfaces I was using previously.

• Like 1

I just picked up a MacMini to run mainstage.  So far, it looks like I can easily use the interface built into my K2700 keyboard via USB, which will utilize the analog outs on the keyboard.  Very convenient.  I'm not sure what other boards have this functionality, but it's a good option.  Eventually, I'll add a KeyLargo - being a mixer, USB interface AND DI, checks off a lot of boxes.  Plus their stuff is built like a tank.   Years ago, I used a Focusrite Scarlett with a macbook air and was disappointed how low the output was. 

I go back and forth between all hardware and occasionally some software, but do use a PC at least for rehearsal track playback. I have had a MOTU 828x since 2015 because the internal mixer affords me useful things to have a different IEM mix (IEM transmitter is in my keys rack - I take a wired feed from the house for my mix-minus) than what I send to the house. That said, my screen died in maybe 2018 or so, an output got crackly on me 3 years ago, and this past week I had to reboot it because some inputs were producing massive noise that a reboot solved.

I need to replace it this year. I’m considering the MOTU 828es as the software is now better and it’s still Thunderbolt, and possibly also the new 828 which is USB only. I’m not sure what else is out there that has internal mixing as well as easy PC IO - I could be swayed from MOTU as I don’t think they have yet resolved the driver signing issues in MacOS, but still searching.

The KeyLargo isn’t flexible enough for me and I don’t like the form factor of bumpable knobs.

Following this thread with interest…

1 hour ago, BluMunk said:

I know there are folks here (paging @EscapeRocks ?) who love the Focusrite 18i20.

HI :)

Yes, I love my Focusrite 18i20 Gen 3 for Mainstage or GigPerformer.

It has never failed me.  It can also act as a stand alone mixer.

My new KeyLargo can also be an interface.   I have yet to try it, but this thread has prompted me to drag out the MBP and see how it is.

The only reason I wouldn't use the KeyLargo is simply due to the FocusRite, and other I/O of its type that have multiple outputs.   On big shows, I do use Mainstage, and I send many things on various outputs besides just my keys audio left and right.    i.e. click to drummer to sync with those songs that we use a specific video in our video show that must be synched; Separate audio outs and ins for any pedals I may use for Mainstage sounds instead of software effects.(Lester K, as an example).

However, for a simple fly in gig, I think the KeyLargo would be perfect. Especially since it has the dedicated volume control for the USB channel as well.

spacer.png

For me it sits so nicely on my Fantom-08, and the same on the battery cover of my PX-5S, which is what I use as my 88 controller with Mainstage

spacer.png

My $.02 anyway

• Like 2

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Another KL-8 user here.  Having a MIDI interface is a bonus.  The only thing I don’t like about it is the power adapter with it’s proprietary connector to the KL-8.

cheers,

Canoe

I love my Key Largo, and especially on fly dates it has made my life so much simpler. Universal switching power supply, 5-pin midi in and out so I can make any backline keyboard work if necessary, sustain & volume pedal jacks for all channels, and an effects loop!

The caveats of the Key Largo have been noted above:

- no headphone outs

- one master output (in the sense, no aux mixes to send click or tracks on separate outputs out of Mainstage, and you are sub mixing any/all keyboards that come out of the KL)

- no XLR inputs

If those things are truly important to you & you decide you want to run a dedicated audio interface for Mainstage, I’d recommend the MOTU M4 or Ultralite or the UA Volt (the model with 5-pin midi, whatever it is). I haven’t personally used the Arturia Audiofuse but I’m curious to hear them.

• Like 1

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Using a radial key largo right now. Was using a Steinberg UR44 for quite a while.

I have found that the KL doesn't like USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. I actually have to run mine through a USB hub to get it to talk to my computer. Which is just fine because I have a couple USB devices that I have to get into the computer and few to none of them are USB 3.

And no, I really don't think a powered USB hub causes any issues.

• Like 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

1 hour ago, Canoehead said:

Another KL-8 user here.  Having a MIDI interface is a bonus.  The only thing I don’t like about it is the power adapter with it’s proprietary connector to the KL-8.

cheers,

Canoe

And a third user here - best piece of gear I've ever bought but the KL is probably better for flying

FWIW - I have a separate 5-pin midi interface and use onboard audio (headphone jack) plus this inexpensive but useful combo D-to-A and DI box when I need to get more than two channels of audio from my MacBook Air:

image.png.92b9a2382c04561ac8a37db620e5bed7.png

I've used this on a few tours for percussion loops that needed their own channel. Not Jensen-quality transformers, but for live gigs it's been perfect. 44.1/48K audio only though - again, for live work that's probably all one needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Peavey-3001370-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B004A4PSEU

• Like 3

I have used an entry level Focusrite for many years. I like a big analogue like volume knob that I can tweak to be louder or softer in the mix. Works better for me than a slider on my controller mapped to volume in MainStage,

• Like 1

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

For any of you Key Largo users:

Have you found it to be particular about USB cords?

I couldn't get one to work with a cord that was USB-B to USB-C plugged directly from the KL to my MacbookPro (which only has Tbolt).  BUT when I run it through a powered USB Hub (KL USB-B to USB-A to USB Hub to USB-C plugged into a Tbolt (USB-C) MBP) it works just fine.

I actually returned the first KL that I got and then when the second one had the exact same issues (glitchy audio with loud static bursts) I tried a bunch of different cords and then found that the USB HUB was the only way I could get the KL to communicate with my MBP.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

BTW, if you're doing a rig that is Mainstage and VSTs only, I'm a big fan of just using the 3.5mm audio out.  Works like a champ and is the most resilient and lightest method.  All you need is an adapter cord that turns it into 1/4 inch and maybe carry a stereo DI box just to be sure.

20221115_145053.thumb.jpg.098fd22c356304829d9922fd181390cb.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

I couldn't get one to work with a cord that was USB-B to USB-C plugged directly from the KL to my MacbookPro (which only has Tbolt).  BUT when I run it through a powered USB Hub (KL USB-B to USB-A to USB Hub to USB-C plugged into a Tbolt (USB-C) MBP) it works just fine.

The Key Largo has its own power supply, I'm wondering why a powered USB hub is needed, rather than unpowered.

FWIW, I've seen where my Korg NanoKontrol wouldn't work connecting to my older MacBook Pro with USB3 ports. It received power (the LED lit up) but passed no midi. Connected through an unpowered hub, it worked fine. The NanoK does work with my M2 MacBook Air, connected directly to its USB-C port via an adapter.

3 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

For any of you Key Largo users:

Have you found it to be particular about USB cords?

I actually returned the first KL that I got and then when the second one had the exact same issues (glitchy audio with loud static bursts) I tried a bunch of different cords and then found that the USB HUB was the only way I could get the KL to communicate with my MBP.

I had the opposite issue! It really did not like my USB hub, but using a regular USB-B to USB-A printer cable with Apple’s A-to-C adapter, I have never had  problems. 

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

On 8/26/2024 at 12:38 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

MacBook onboard audio, 3.5mm to RCA cable, Radial AV direct box.  If using sounds from keyboard as well, Key Largo.  If going mono I do that in MainStage.  

I know others do this too. USB in for MIDI direct from whatever board you are using I assume?

• Like 1

Re: Key Largo and USB C - I think some USB C cables are for power/charging only - i.e. not carry any (MIDI) data.

For it to stand a chance of working, a USB C to USB B data cable would need to be used.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobadohshe said:

I know others do this too. USB in for MIDI direct from whatever board you are using I assume?

Yes. If I’m using the PX-560 or most anything else that doesn’t have a USB audio interface built in.  My CP88 has USB midi and audio so that is another option.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 hours ago, Papa.J said:

Re: Key Largo and USB C - I think some USB C cables are for power/charging only - i.e. not carry any (MIDI) data.

For it to stand a chance of working, a USB C to USB B data cable would need to be used.

I've been down this rabbit hole recently. Many C-C cables don't contain data wires and are exclusively for charging. (Easily spotted, they're thin, flexible and cheap). Although I would expect a C-B cable to have data lines, and avoid this problem. 

Cheers, Mike.

3 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:
9 hours ago, Bobadohshe said:

Yes. If I’m using the PX-560 or most anything else that doesn’t have a USB audio interface built in.  My CP88 has USB midi and audio so that is another option.

This probably doesn't apply to many here who use a laptop on a stage and have it close to the keyboard. Mine sits on a bass amp, sometimes far away. I found out the hard way that USB midi is not what you want to use in those cases. Cable length is the issue. I don't use a laptop for local gigs anymore, so USB to my iPad is fine. On the road, using my laptop, it's 5-pin only! My midi cable is 30 feet long - I'm covered for any stage setup. For those without DIN midi on their keyboards, you should be fine as long as your laptop or i-whatever is close by.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

This probably doesn't apply to many here who use a laptop on a stage and have it close to the keyboard. Mine sits on a bass amp, sometimes far away. I found out the hard way that USB midi is not what you want to use in those cases. Cable length is the issue. I don't use a laptop for local gigs anymore, so USB to my iPad is fine. On the road, using my laptop, it's 5-pin only! My midi cable is 30 feet long - I'm covered for any stage setup. For those without DIN midi on their keyboards, you should be fine as long as your laptop or i-whatever is close by.

Excellent point. In that case I’d probably stick with the Key Largo!

Here for the gear.