Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I’m a dumbass. 😂 (keys related)

You ever have those days where you need to step away because you have full cranial-rectal impaction?

Well that’s me today. 
Sitting here programming the Jupiter 80 and Fantom 08 for my live rig. 

I will be using the Jupiter’s Registration Play page to transmit program change to the Fantom. 

I am not new to the way Roland does it. 
I’ve been using my traded in 06 to call PC on the 08

I verify my Jupiter and Fantom are both set to the same control channel. 

I then go into a Live Set in a Registration on the Jup and go to Ext, turn on 16 and enter the MSB/LSB, then start spinning the wheel in the PC area.

This is where I can see the Scenes changing on the Fantom.

Except:  nothing.  

I go back over all the settings.  Everything is correct.  

Again, nothing.  

After avoiding the urge to self-immolate, I come sit on my sofa.  

Then the lightbulb goes off.  

Like the moron that I am, I’ve only had the Fantom MIDI out going to the Jupiter MIDI in, for sound testing.  
DUH 🙃 

So, now that I have it connected properly, 

it works, and I’m off to get a drink. 

• Haha 9
  • Love 1

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Sometimes, a synthesizer can feel like a dog who is smart enough to MESS with you! 😛

• Like 2

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

3 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

You ever have those days where you need to step away because you have full cranial-rectal impaction?

So, now that I have it connected properly, it works, and I’m off to get a drink. 

So... What does one drink after an event like that?

(You can guess from my name & avatar what I would choose...)

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Halfway through your post I was thinking:   "Hmmm...MIDI cable(s) maybe not plugged in?"

Do I win a prize?? 

If so, I'll take Jimmy Page's #1 Les Paul if it's my choice. That must be worth something. 🙂

• Haha 1

Yep yep yep. Just yesterday I swapped a rebuilt Ao-28 preamp into an A100. Buttoned it up, turned it on to test. Only C/V channel working - zero for clean.
An hour. An hour more rechecking connections, etc.

I had mixed a 6c4 tube with the 6au6.

Boneheaded basics to check. I bought myself a Michters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old No7 said:

So... What does one drink after an event like that?

(You can guess from my name & avatar what I would choose...)

Old No7

I’m not a big drinker. 
A Capt Morgan  and Coke. 

David

It became obvious here, "I verify my Jupiter and Fantom are both set to the same control channel. ", where this was going.

:D

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

You might watch the Sting interview with Rick Beato where Dominic Miller recounts his audition when he couldn’t get any sound out of his guitar amp.  It’ll make you feel much better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

15 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

After avoiding the urge to self-immolate, I come sit on my sofa.  

Then the lightbulb goes off.  

Like the moron that I am, I’ve only had the Fantom MIDI out going to the Jupiter MIDI in, for sound testing.  
DUH 🙃 

Brotha Dave, don't be too hard on yourself.  It happens to all of us.😁

Of course, we're all glad you got it sorted before coming to the family and getting the answer right away.

The lesson learned here is...the act of sitting on a surface activates the lightbulb switch.🤣😎

• Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The other day I was troubleshooting my MIDI/RTP setup over Ethernet, using my pair of iConnectivity MIO interfaces.  have both a Keystep and a Keystep Pro in my setup, I kept trying to test instruments with the KSPro, and getting nothing. Took me most of an hour to realize I’d been assigning them to the KS, which wasn’t hooked up at the time. D’oh. 

love this thread, because so much of this tech stuff is over the heads of most people I’m regularly in contact with, it’s nice to be able to vent. 

• Haha 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Sort of makes you want to go back to the days when synths were not programmable. You never had these issues, and you got really good at dialing in a patch in the dark in less than 5 seconds while the rest of the band looked at you like "Would you hurry!" ... ... ... Okay. Maybe not. 🙃

• Haha 3

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

David,

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. I'm also an occasional sufferer of cranial-rectal impaction, and quite experienced with overthinking and missing the obvious. 

I have a book of  Murpy's Laws, somewhere; it's the 'EX' version - which includes Sattingler's Law: It works better if you plug it in.

And I just found a 'Laws of Engineering' link, which may be helpful to many of us here:

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/t/the-laws-of-engineering/386223

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

The number of times I've experienced strange audio channel discrepancies when connecting a board, just to in the end find out that L/R/Phones can sometimes be really close to eachother, and just reaching back with the hand not looking isn't always the solution.

Damn those manufacturers who are not printing the connectors description at the top of the back of the board!!

🤪

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

6 hours ago, analogika said:

This happens all the time… doesn't it? I mean… to all of us? 

:looks nervously around: 

…right?

There was the time , years ago, my bass player was stressed as he wasn't getting any sound right before downbeat.

He's furiously checking his amp, cable, etc...

I look down and notice something:   I simply take my foot and press his volume pedal to the proper "make noise" position.     Problem solved.  ;)

One thing I have learned in life is we often overlook look the obvious while searching for the cause of any issue

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

David

54 minutes ago, allan_evett said:

David,

I have a book of  Murpy's Laws, somewhere; it's the 'EX' version - which includes Sattingler's Law: It works better if you plug it in.

In my aviation world we call this the "Oh-En/Oh-Eff-Eff issue" when a piece of avionics shows a blank screen

• Haha 1

David

13 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

The number of times I've experienced strange audio channel discrepancies when connecting a board, just to in the end find out that L/R/Phones can sometimes be really close to eachother, and just reaching back with the hand not looking isn't always the solution.

This!

and: setting up stereo cabling in a hurry, connecting the two inputs with one cable and the two outputs with the other. 😬

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Air gap-ing synthesizers might be a new thing, such that there's nothing stealing or changing your sounds, no dependence on some server, and then you could want to have a "master keyboard output" set which drives synthesizers with only note information, so nothing ever messes up, right?

T

I've never done that - what are you talking about!? LOL

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

On 7/27/2024 at 8:14 PM, EscapeRocks said:

In my aviation world we call this the "Oh-En/Oh-Eff-Eff issue" when a piece of avionics shows a blank screen

The good old janitor reset as we called it when I was working with IT.. (pull the power cable, wait 5 seconds, put it back in again..)

:D

• Like 2

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -