Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wah and envelope follower for D6 Clav

I’ve been using Cry Baby way for my Hohner D6. Too noisy and thin. Also looking for envelope follower.  Mutron ?

your thoughts?

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

I used a Dr Q. That was a go to box. There has to be something available today that is less noisy.  But Dr Q had the sound. 

As far as a wah … If you like the action of a Cry Baby I would get a Crybaby with an adjustable Q.  Maybe adjust the one you have.   All you need is a Phillips screwdriver.  

Mutron is great.  I know nothing about any new Mutron stuff.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I switched to modeled effects as they are quieter. Got the idea from Danny Louis (Gov't Mule) 

I still have a Line 6 M5 and a Line 6 M9. Not expensive, great sounding, IMO, and very, very quiet. (Looking for Elmer Fudd emoji)

• Like 1
:nopity:

An older Morley (with pedal return spring) has proven well with rhodes, clav and wurli (also with Hamm B3).  Likely find one cheap enough to try out. The pedal return being instrumental (live performance)

Lovetone Meatball, not cheap and possibly overkill, but damn it sounds good.

• Like 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Tried Morley, Cry Baby, George Dennis, and Vox wah. 

Stuck with the Vox. 

Envelope Follower: Had a Dr. Q for some years, had a nasty bite which I really liked in some cases. Found it more useful on Drum machines than on the Clav. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

13 hours ago, Doerfler said:

I switched to modeled effects as they are quieter. Got the idea from Danny Lewis (Gov't Mule) 

I still have a Line 6 M5 and a Line 6 M9. Not expensive, great sounding, IMO, and very, very quiet. (Looking for Elmer Fudd emoji)

I second the Line 6 M series, had an M9 that unfortunately gave up on me (motherboard problem, and bought used), then bought a brand new M5 instead together with the Expression pedal for it, and it's definitely a commonly used unit here. I have a Pod HD Pro rack unit as well, with the FBV Express MkII for it too, this takes everything one step further with the amps and speaker models on top of all the FX and pedal models.

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

The fact that the instrument is a D6 there is really high noise floor potential to begin with.  The lower the signal noise ratio on your effects the better. Throw an inductor wah pedal into the mix you have the potential for the rig to become a radio receiver.  

David’s post is great advice.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

15 minutes ago, CEB said:

The fact that the instrument is a D6 there is really high noise floor potential to begin with.  The lower the signal noise ratio on your effects the better. Throw an inductor wah pedal into the mix you have the potential for the rig to become a radio receiver.  

David’s post is great advice.  

You may end up discovering some spy radiotraffic! Sometimes my Leslie (760 Solid State) back in the 90's picked up what sounded like Russian radio, always wondered what that was about (It was in Sweden back when I was still living there...).

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

3 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

I second the Line 6 M series, had an M9 that unfortunately gave up on me (motherboard problem, and bought used), then bought a brand new M5 instead together with the Expression pedal for it, and it's definitely a commonly used unit here. I have a Pod HD Pro rack unit as well, with the FBV Express MkII for it too, this takes everything one step further with the amps and speaker models on top of all the FX and pedal models.

Friends don't let friends buy Line6 anythings

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, JoJoB3 said:

Friends don't let friends buy Line6 anythings

Bunch of good stuff in those mentioned modules that are definitely more than good enough for live use.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I've been through a lot of them over the years, and made a bundle selling my custom shop Clyde a couple of years ago, which more than covered the cost of my custom shop Vox wah pedal, by far the best I've ever owned (and that's a lot!).

Very warm and organic, expressive, nuanced, versatile, good on any instrument, including Clav.

Even the non-custom shop versions of the Vox are my top recommendations at this point. Vox pedals in general have been great ever since Korg took over the company (distribution-wise at least) and began sharing technology between them.

The Vox wah pedals also have the best ergonomics in terms of foot travel and grip.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Mu-Tron stuff is hard to come by but is good as well, especially since the rebirth or whatever you want to call the latest incarnation of the company.

I considered their pedals for several categories but got frustrated by the supply chain and in some cases the form factor so moved on to others.

Which brings me to the envelope follower question. As I am almost done shutting down for the night, I can't look up what I have and now I forget!

I went through a lot of pedal swaps around New Year's, then I firmed up my pedal boards (finally!) and locked them in a closet during house repairs.

I'm pretty sure I wound up with the nano version of the EHX Q-tron. On bass, I use Aguilar's twin filter (simultaneous up/down). Might work on Clav?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

My favorite back in the day was the Mutron III. I'd recommend it to the OP, but I just saw one offered on eBay for over $1,000! Guess I shoulda hung onto mine.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Back in the days when I was a Hohner player, I used to have the old orange MXR Phase 90 (wonder where the H that pedal ended up, it's not here, and I for sure didn't sell it...), and this one:

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

The 3 Leaf Audio Wonderlove is a lovely Mutron clone with a smaller footprint.  I’ve used it with many Clavinet sample libraries. But I haven’t owned an actual Hohner Clavinet for several years since I regrettably sold my E7. 🙂 

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT