Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Is it too early for Christmas music?

I remember when Christmas music, movies and decorations didn't start up until after Thanksgiving.

Nowadays, Christmas movies are ahown all year round. Lifetime and Hallmark channels seem to have a Christmas movie for every state. 🙄

I don't think Christmas music starts in the ssummer yet but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it the day after Halloween at some point.🤣

For me. Christmas music signals the beginning of the season. So, I'll avoid  listening to it until after I've eaten my Thanksgiving dinner.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

7 hours ago, ProfD said:

I remember when Christmas music, movies and decorations didn't start up until after Thanksgiving.

They do up here – our Thanksgiving is the second Monday in October...  :D

• Haha 1

Here for the gear.

It's always too early and never too late :D

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

This is one of my favorites. Its dated because K-Mart is now toast, but it still works. In my opinion, its always too early for Christmas music. Its all far too white and for me, acts as an emetic. My idea of Xmas is "The Robot Chicken Christmas Special." That either needs no further explanation or there's no way to even begin.  

Bob Rivers ~ "Wreck the Malls"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSyZUE1bcxY&list=PLyE7lvchvFGb9WdUchRa_OYM9xuk58P3P&index=3

"You get a couple of glasses of wine in those guys, they'll tell you the riddle of the Sphinx."
     ~ "Godfather of Harlem"

17 hours ago, Polkahero said:

Bill McClintock is a genius.

Agree 100%!  Mashups have been around forever, but he’s taking it to another level - sonic, visual, cultural, and lots of comedy sprinkled throughout

• Like 2

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

On 7/20/2024 at 9:31 PM, AROIOS said:

No music is too early if it brings us back to felling alive

<Like>. Some intelligent editing there to make it work - although the joke is basically over after the first chorus.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

Its never too early in Australia for xmas music seemingly.

You see there is this ironic tradition of a "Christmass in July" because we cant experience a white xmas in December.

Stupidly there are only a few places in Australia that recieves proper snow and those are in high alps where people normally dont live just party on at ski resorts.

So white xmas is but a dream unless you consider some sludge in the Blue Mountains as snow. The Blue Mountains is highly into promoting Xmas in July. Basically everything is for making a buck. 

I remember gigging in many of the pubs up the Great Western Highway in the Blue Mountains in late 70s thru 80s and I cant remember talk of Xmas in July.

But we played pubs not clubs and I was young and would not be interested anyway in something id think is weird. It may have existed back then but I figure it came in around the 90s or later.

I may be wrong and it always existed but I came from a family that never ate out a restaurants so missed all that high society stuff hah. I remember how precious it was the few times we were taken to the Pizza Hut. 

So some people put on the festive spirit under the missletoe, while eating plumb pudding  in the colder month of July here in Aussie as a normal thing.

Our real xmas is generally in the period of scorching heat waves where birds drop out of the sky and thongs stick to the tar of the road we cross to get to the family shindig. Yet ironically most actual xmas days are raining and nobody wants to swim in the pool Uncle Arthur bought from Kmart for the days festivities.

But when its hot on xmas day here my god Frosty the snowmans ginger bread house look like its on fire. And Auntie Sheila's face paint is melting into a mad characture.

Ive moved south and its colder here and being a holiday area a lot of the wineries and hip piggeries foister Xmas in July on the Melbourne tourists.

8 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

...Our real xmas is generally in the period of scorching heat waves where birds drop out of the sky and thongs stick to the tar of the road...

Even knowing how that word refers to different things in Yankee and Aussie English, my brain still short-circuited for a split second with the mental image of "thongs stuck to the road". 😆

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AROIOS said:

Even knowing how that word refers to different things in Yankee and Aussie English, my brain still short-circuited for a split second with the mental image of "thongs stuck to the road". 😆

Yeah in the US that'd be Auntie Sheila's thong no doubt.

But then again Uncle Arthur has been acting a bit different of late 

• Haha 2