Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianoteq owners - new Bosendorfer 280 VC model

I installed it a couple days ago and think it is their best piano yet. The general census over on the Pianoteq user forum and Piano World is positive. One guy who has a 280VC compared it to the real deal and said at times it was hard to tell Pianoteq from the real thing.

Here is a link to a nice demo and below that is a performance on a real 280VC.

I downloaded it and I sincerely question that anyone could tell the difference in a typical cover band between the stock Yamaha Pianos and these very pricey sounds.  For critical recordings, yes… for “Young Americans” through monitors and PA’s, I doubt it. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

25 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

I downloaded it and I sincerely question that anyone could tell the difference in a typical cover band between the stock Yamaha Pianos and these very pricey sounds.  For critical recordings, yes… for “Young Americans” through monitors and PA’s, I doubt it. 

For Young Americans through monitors and PA’s, how many could tell the difference between your stock Yamaha piano sound and the 25 year old Kurzweil triple strike?  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

5 hours ago, JFN said:

Here is a link to a nice demo

at 2:45 it reminded me of Tori Amos in style *and* sound... and she plays Bosendorfer. That impresses me. I remember there was some VST (and I wish I could remember which one!) where I heard a demo and thought, "wow, that's a very authentic Billy Joel piano sound." 

• Like 3

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don’t imagine the greatest % of Pianoteq users are playing in live  bands at all. If I had to guess, the largest percentage are playing solo piano with a midi controller that is vastly more affordable than a Bosendorfer 280 VC.  The developer’s success stems from making models of unattainable instruments ever more realistic and enjoyable to play, record and listen to.  🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 5

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I don’t imagine the greatest % of Pianoteq users are playing in live  bands at all.

I suspect that's true of most if not all VSTs.

• Like 2

I especially felt hair rise on my neck the first time the bass end got punched properly. If I thought my memory was still halfway dependable in this area, I'd say it felt very much comparable to the one time I got to play an Imperial Grand. I'm very happy to have Pianoteq. I find the sound impeccable, but its also a life saver over trying to stream a grand of similar quality. If you're mainly a synth player, its the ideal answer to any piano needs that may crop up. I'm loving physical modeling in general, especially the very lean system demands. 

• Like 3

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

The new Bösendorfer proves that Pianoteq has arrived. Version 8.3 sounds as good or better than sampled grands. And still plays way better, of course.  

Is it only for desktop? Cannot locate on iPad...although I am running an update now....

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I installed it on my iPad last week and used it in church Sunday. It sounded good and where one the songs really started to build I dropped my left hand an octave to play the lowest C, D, and E (doubled with pinkie and thumb) and the bass response was very strong. The bass player doesn't like when I do that b/c that's his space but I couldn't resist. I am loving this new piano.

John

10 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

And then??? 🤔

hahaha, that was yesterday afternoon...it is now 4.30AM will try it again later after comments above...

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

hmmmm, very nice! Not sure though, if it's $70 nicer than what I can achieve with the Grotrian or Steinway D intimate...but yeah, it is tasty!

I listened to some demos, which is nice enough, and surely some real piano feels come through. On the other hand, I don't think I'll install the demo again, while there's even a Linux version. I don't think for the strong and well behaved sounds it in current form even with additional processing will become what I want. Those resonance computations aren't strong enough somehow, and it probably comes down to it the mid range especially will never come out the speakers as a real piano (not a digitally recorded one).

If it were Open Source, I'd go and have fun with it, to see where sampling related improvements and the introduction of hard working computer threads might increase usability for the types of sound I like.

T.V.

Sounds nice. I should try some of those pianos with my AvantGrand. In the process of getting maybe a MacBook Air M3 and getting into that world a bit. Also for using it for recording my piano. Thanks to Reezekeys for his invaluable advice!

Fwiw here's a newer 230 VC. A very fine piano it is, especially for chords. Very rich sounding and that's with an iPhone sitting on the floor. Imagine how good it sounds sitting at it.

• Like 3

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Dave, your playing is great, as always, but you made me wanna check that Hoka brand of your shoes. Never heard them before but after a little research they seem to be very highly regarded. Might try them, they are imported here too. 

• Like 1

Yeah the Hoka is the only shoe I've worn - casual, workout, even dress, they make an all black- for the last five years.

I have a number of Osteoarthritis problems in my feet (long time Stage 4 Hallux Rigidus in both big toes), now fighting this Peroneal Tendonitis in my R foot, and a recent L knee replacement.

The Hoka Bondis (what I wear and in a 10 2E) and Cliftons (lighter support), are the two most recommended shoes by Podiatrists. You see people that are on their feet all day like Nurses, Dr.s, people in retail sales, parking valets, etc. wearing them.

There is a breaking in period because they have a lower heel drop then then a traditional running shoe, sneaker or walking shoe. The first time you try them on, many people's first reaction (including mine) are...oh no way this is going to work. But after the acclimation period of maybe 2 weeks to a month, I swear for the people that they do fit, you'll never want to wear anything else.

You just have to  get used to them, maybe wear them around the house for a half hour a day for a week, then work up from there. Just don't put them on and go out for a 3 mile walk or run right off the bat.

• Like 2

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515