Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Age Check for Those of Us Still Gigging and Hauling Gear

6 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Always get assistance or let some younger guy

I wish that were always an option. Since I bring the PA, I'm often the first (only) band member there. And I can't really ask the people who hired me to help carry or set up gear. So I'd look at this problem from the other side: Don't bring any gear you can't fully handle yourself, without risk of injury, and without getting exhausted. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

14 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

As we age, I think it is key to avoid injuries due to gravity.    That's falls, fractures, hernias, and back injuries.

Do not put yourself in the position of being injured.   Always get assistance or let some younger guy climb the ladder or lift the equipment.  Never allow yourself to become immobilized. if possible.

After 60, we're one hospital stay away from the grave.    And that's not just from the primary injury.   Half the time, the secondary infection/illness is what kills you.  It's in the medical literature.

Then there's the old adage, "he died of a hangnail".   Ignored the pain, developed an infection,  was sent home with antibiotics, became immobile, and died of a pulmonary embolism. 

Or "died of a sprained ankle".   Couldn't cook due to the pain getting around with the walker.   Died of a fall due to fainting brought on by hypoglycemia secondary to diet. 

Says the guy with a CP300, Montage 8 and a 3300 leslie .....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

4 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:
23 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

As we age, I think it is key to avoid injuries due to gravity.    That's falls, fractures, hernias, and back injuries.

Do not put yourself in the position of being injured.   Always get assistance or let some younger guy climb the ladder or lift the equipment.  Never allow yourself to become immobilized. if possible.

After 60, we're one hospital stay away from the grave.    And that's not just from the primary injury.   Half the time, the secondary infection/illness is what kills you.  It's in the medical literature.

Then there's the old adage, "he died of a hangnail".   Ignored the pain, developed an infection,  was sent home with antibiotics, became immobile, and died of a pulmonary embolism. 

Or "died of a sprained ankle".   Couldn't cook due to the pain getting around with the walker.   Died of a fall due to fainting brought on by hypoglycemia secondary to diet. 

Expand  

Says the guy with a CP300, Montage 8 and a 3300 leslie .....

:) :) :)     One of the reasons I haven't gigged much lately.   I may try to rectify that if I can get comfortable with something like a YC73 or similar.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

54 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I wish that were always an option. Since I bring the PA, I'm often the first (only) band member there. And I can't really ask the people who hired me to help carry or set up gear. So I'd look at this problem from the other side: Don't bring any gear you can't fully handle yourself, without risk of injury, and without getting exhausted. 

Owning and bringing the PA definitely influenced our guitar player's rig.  That was the main initial reason he finally ditched using amps.   That said, our PA is so small that it's basically a couple trips for all of it on a cart, and now we have a sound guy at most gigs that helps with load-in and tear-down.  The rest of us will too if we are there early enough, even if I get there two hours early he usually has it all set up :)   Our "big" PA has a couple subs but he can unload them, and they roll.    

Definitely I wouldn't ask people at the venue to help unless it's with a door...in fact I get occasional offers and decline every time.  Last thing I need is someone tripping and breaking their head and my stuff.

• Like 3

Just turned 65.  

If weight and fatigue were no issue, I would do a right angle of two two-keyboard stacks, but age and disease are forcing me to lighten up.

Current rig:

• PC4-7 (less than 10 kg / 20 lb)
  • Nektar GXP 88 controller (8.2 kg / 18 lb), USB into PC4 provides both MIDI and power
  • Roland AX-Edge (< 5 kg / 11 lb)
  • 7 switch pedals (one's actually a half-damper CC)
  • 2 CC pedals
  • Onstage KS7365-EJ two-tier stand (13 KG / 29 lb)
    • A heavy PITA, but rock solid.
      • I may change it out next year if I can find a table-style stand with a second tier that I don't hate.
  • On-Stage SB96+ studio microphone stand
    • Another PITA, but soooo much less frustrating than baby booms
  • Manhassett M48 music stand
  • No wedges or side fills -- IEM only (200 grams I would guess, including receiver)
  • 6U rack (about 16 kg / 35 lb)
    • IEM transmitter
    • P16 IEM mixer
    • Keytar receiver
    • XR-12 if needed to consolidate keyboard signals for outside sound companies
  • Optional djembe (stand weighs about 1 tonne / 1 ton)
  • Optional congas (even heavier than the djembe and stand)

On smaller gigs I just take either the PC4-7 or the AX-Edge.

I haven't made a list with this much weight info since I last went backpacking 20+ years ago.

OT: Are we a dying breed?  Or is it just mostly old guys posting on this thread?  I suspect the former.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Great thread.

Mid fifty's here lugging the band PA

and two keyboards to gigs.

Also do the sound and lights, backing vocals and general MD stuff. 

The PA (RCF) is modern, powerful and light and I can lift it myself, apart from the 15" sub.

I usually roll it on the lawn to my estate car and then slide it up a ramp and in.

Keys are Nord Stage 2 HA76 with a Korg Triton Extreme 61 on top. 

Would quite like an upgrade to the Triton as it's a bit heavy in it's hard case. Had it since new and it does all I need except retain user samples in memory. 

I agree to what was mentioned earlier about compromising and going plastic/wallwart/cheap to get the weight down.

I don't think I'd enjoy playing anything less than flagship quality keyboards.

Amplification is 1 or 2 Yamaha DXR10's running off a stereo mix on our A&H main mixer. 

Often just use one on a mini tripod to lessen the schlep and setup. IEM's would be convenient but I always need an amp for things like jazz or solo gigs. 

May as well just use a DXR10 or two for both monitoring and amplification.

20220618_213632.thumb.jpg.d37b1f2d66be5b9c6a510445db237592.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tom Williams said:

OT: Are we a dying breed?  Or is it just mostly old guys posting on this thread?  I suspect the former.

Small sample size--because I don't really get out there much to see other bands in this area--but I can't recall seeing a keyboard player in any of the bands that have younger people in them.  They either don't have keys at all, or just run tracks.

Did anyone else make big changes after taking a year off from Covid? I'm doing this primarily as a DJ now (which is why I've stayed out of this discussion) but pre-Covid I was still moving heavy JBL tops, subs, light trees, the works - and not thinking much about it.

In 2020 I didn't do anything. Then in 2021 it was like "Whoa! Did I really move all this shit?" 

Fast forward to now when I'm down to just one club that closes at midnight and lets me keep my gear there. I'm 77... probably shouldn't be doing this at all anymore. But I seem to be of some help to them, and life gets kind of boring without at least some club work mixed in. 

• Like 1

No, I was just as lazy before covid :)   

The reality is:  nobody but me cares what gear I bring.  So it's really what gets me going, and that swings from the simplicity of one keyboard back to the relative complexity of two.  I don't see myself ever bringing a rack, or more than two keyboards.   Setting up in more than 5-10 minutes is not something I want.  I may eventually bring a guitar with Helix stomp though if I get my feeble chops and bravery up :)    That'll be like Mr Holland's opus except I'll be an old guy out there playing power chords as a lifelong realized dream :D 

16 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

As we age, I think it is key to avoid injuries due to gravity.    That's falls, fractures, hernias, and back injuries.….

This.

Many older folk are just fine until they suffer a fall for whatever reason, after which they can no longer live independently as well as before. I had a fall last year due to heart issues, and had quite bad concussion. Fortunately the long term effects were minimal, and I’ve recovered well enough to continue as before. But I’m very careful these days, and this is largely responsible for me avoiding using heavy and complicated rigs anymore. Love my CK61 because even if I couldn’t move it myself, it’d be easier to get help from family and friends.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

Age 65

YC73 and SK Pro 61

Pair of RCF TT08As or Motion Sound KP-610S depending on the gig.

Gear weight has been a big influence on the gear I’ve bought in recent years. I also have other gear but the stuff I listed is what I’ve been bringing to gigs for the past few years. It’s a great rig. I love it!

When I see a pic of a Rhodes my back hurts. I used to schlep one of those by myself for 100+ gigs a year in the late-70’s and early-80’s until good lightweight alternatives were available.

• Like 1

I'm 72 and still playing out. With the band I left in December I was doubling on keyboards and guitar. Keyboard rig was Ultimate Apex, Yamaha MODX7, Roland VR-09 and a pedal board. Guitar was 2 electric guitars, Helix pedalboard and both keys and guitar were monitored thru an EV zlx12p. I supplied the lights and monitors for the system. My new band I am only the keyboard player so eliminate the guitar setup and the keyboard rig is the same. The guitar player and I carry and set up the PA due to health problems of the drummer and bass player. I walk 3 miles most days and lift weights 3 time a week. I am fortunate that I am still able to do this.

• Like 2

I'll be 65 in September.

I live in Paris/France, i don't have a car or truck (you do not want/need a car in Paris), so i go to gigs or rehersal in metro/bus, weight and size are

a essential criteria.

I gig with  one of this configurations (and only one):

1- A Nord Electro 6D 61.

2- A Nord Wave 2.

3- A Hammond Suzuki  Melodion pro-44h v2 with a couple of effect pedal (TC level booster and IK Space for reverb).

In case of need i bring also my Bose S1 Pro as personal monitor, but in this case somebody help me :)

Maurizio

• Like 1

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

Vans (15 passenger for long hauls and mini ram cargo local) and a Hammond B3 on RoK, Leslie 122, pedals, JG3 bench or orig, often a select synth+ above.
Rare but sometimes + a 73 Rhodes suitcase.
Age: is only a number.  It's the expiration date that will get ya.
Leverage, wheels, and a body in motion stays in motion.

• Like 1

66. I have a lot to choose from (see sig), but most of the time I can get away with:

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Numa X Piano 73

Single QSC K8.2

IMG_2317.png.dd32aafa83c232fb7f3f48f79b38d701.png

HX3.5|NS3|NE5D73|NUMAX73|SP6|XK-1c|MOXF8|PX-5S|D1|Monologue|Wurli 200|K2vxS|M3|145|Hohner Concerto iii|Vent II|Key Largo|DZR10|K8.2's

42. For all my top 40 gigs it's a Yamaha CP4 and Montage 7 on a K&M Spider Pro as well as a Roc n soc throne. I don't need to bring a monitor. If I do, it's a EV-ZLX12P or two. Sometimes I have 2 or 3 setups for wedding and that means extra CP4s and PA speakers. Once in a blue moon I'll also bring the Hammond SK2 but adding a 3rd board adds headache and usually stage real estate I don't have.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I'm 76.75. Haul Electro 2, CP73, QSC K10, stands, spkr pole, keyboard seat, gig bag, assorted cables and adapters. Just starting to play out again. Seriously considering a collapsible magliner like this one to save my back and cut down on trips.

Magliner_folded.webp

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, now serving the Lord in Bryant AR: '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie)

My back hurts reading this thread.

I'm 68. I use a Roland A800 Pro - 10 lbs.

Two Alto TX308s - 12 lbs each.

The smallest single x-stand I could find.

A small accessory case for pedals, cables, outlet box, and iPad. All sounds are in the iPad.

I just got myself a Liano so I can venture into the 88-key world. If I choose to bring that to a gig, my keyboard shlep goes from 10 lbs to a whopping 13 lbs!

I still have my original K8s (27 lbs each) for the rare gig where I need the volume and headroom to compete with seriously loud drummers or be heard in a large band.

On 6/11/2024 at 5:13 PM, jazzpiano88 said:

now THAT was depressing…

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Age - 66

I'm in good health but like to gig light as I sometimes provide part if not all of the PA as well.

In the past 6 years my main keyboard has been the Studiologic Numa Compact 2. At first it was supplemented with a Mellotron Micro, then my old reliable Kawai K4. The K4 and Numa Compact 2 both at about 16 lbs. was a great combination.

Last year I gigged with just my old Alesis Q7 which had a lot of Mixes and Singles programmed so I could use pedals and the faders to mix and match various sounds although I tend toward mostly piano/strings sounds as we have a terrific electric violin player who covers a lot of guitar and brass parts!

I've played a few gigs this year so far with just the Numa Compact 2 but am considering hauling my 32 lb. Roland FP30X to the next few gigs. Got a new case for it so I'll see. I celebrated the 60th anniversary of starting piano lessons so it would be nice to have a fully weighted action at a gig again.

20211015_180713 crop.jpg

• Like 1

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

For the last 4 years I've been gigging with the Kawai ES920 and that's it as 99% of the time It's a piano solo gig for me (or in the cases of a duo with a singer / theater shows where I've been the only instrumentalist). I had a 2 gigs, one of which was a band gig for which I brought my Casio CT-S1 (I use it as a mobile keyboard for my music workshops too, connected to my laptop presentations and it's a great speaker too).

But that will change in 2 weeks. I'm going to be in the exact situation as @mauriziodececco moving to Budapest, my car and keyboards are all staying behind and most other equipment got sold. I'm wondering, how well do you deal commuting with the Nord e.g in public transport only? I mean, 8.5 kilo is okay, but what about + stand + pedals +case, cables etc. chorecan you still do it without feeling like a ? I'm looking for a keyboard stand solution for public transport and am wondering what kind of stand do you use to be able to travel with a small footprint. Thanks !

I'll also be needing to buy a keyboard that's good enough but mobile... I've got the budget but don't like the feel of the Nord, YC61 has a malfunctioning keybed, VR-09 has a crappy keybed and Vox 61 doesn't exist in EU for some reason. Seems like with everything else in the category of being both mobile AND pro quality features / sounds I'm looking at beginner stuff like CK61, Casio CT-S500 etc. not ideal but as far as I'm aware these are the options in the market atm.

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

On 6/15/2024 at 10:51 PM, Chummy said:

But that will change in 2 weeks. I'm going to be in the exact situation as @mauriziodececco moving to Budapest, my car and keyboards are all staying behind and most other equipment got sold. I'm wondering, how well do you deal commuting with the Nord e.g in public transport only? I mean, 8.5 kilo is okay, but what  about + stand + pedals +case, cables etc. chorecan you still do it without feeling like a ? I'm looking for a keyboard stand solution for public transport and am wondering what kind of stand do you use to be able to travel with a small footprint. Thanks !

Well, most of the rehersals studio here have keyboard stands. I got the Nord softcase, and i bring cables and an fc5 sustain pedal. Can be done.

For gigging in a place where there are no keyboard stands, i have a k&m 18880, three kilos

• Like 2

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

I'm 75 and the guitar player-singer (my wife) is 69.  We're playing at a local fundraiser in Ridgecrest on the 22nd, and driving 175 miles to Palm Springs for gigs on the 27th and 28th.  The load never gets any lighter, and the guitar player isn't allowed to lift over 10 pounds.  The keyboard and speakers are about 30 lbs each.  

And it's still fun.

Duane

• Like 2

Korg PA4x76 arranger, 1976 Yamaha CP-70 electric piano, MidiPlus X6 MIDI USB controller, Turbosound ip500 Tower Speaker System

I'll be 60 end of the year.  Stroke 3 years ago, relearned to walk/ balance, and process info again/ filter things appropriately. 90% back. This spring, clogged clavical artery, 4" cut away, accesed through my neck. I don't carry PA stuff, my guitar player or drummer will help with my stuff when it's difficult. 

Full set up right now, I have the CK88 because of the light weight of a weighted board.  Customized the Piano, Rhodes, and Wurli sounds to my liking.  I had lugged around a P100 in the 90's.  Loved that action.  I pair it with a 5D, also very light, on top for organ on a X stand. An Ipad 9th gen that plugs right into the CK88 of I do not want to do double board. All the usual suspects loaded and mapped. I have 2 QSC K12 if I need self power.  I bought them slightly used for $500 for the pair.  They sound great. I still have my PC3, but it's in my kids room. Too heavy for me now. Had the PC4 for a bit.  Sold it.  Never bonded with it like the PC3.  Depending on time and how I feel for gigs, I mix and match what I bring. Quickest is 5D, stand, chair, power chord, 1 cable to the DI/board, like last Saturday.

On 6/11/2024 at 6:16 PM, Stokely said:

Owning and bringing the PA definitely influenced our guitar player's rig.  That was the main initial reason he finally ditched using amps.   That said, our PA is so small that it's basically a couple trips for all of it on a cart, and now we have a sound guy at most gigs that helps with load-in and tear-down.  The rest of us will too if we are there early enough, even if I get there two hours early he usually has it all set up :)   Our "big" PA has a couple subs but he can unload them, and they roll.    

Definitely I wouldn't ask people at the venue to help unless it's with a door...in fact I get occasional offers and decline every time.  Last thing I need is someone tripping and breaking their head and my stuff.

It sounds like you have a really efficient setup! It’s great that your guitar player could streamline his rig.

Well, the fact is that we are small-timers so we don't need a big PA.  And even at our larger gigs (that don't have a sound company providing a PA), they usually don't want us to be super loud.    We have some EV Evolves for smaller gigs that work great.  Their subs are small but they get the job done.

But yeah without wedges and with powered gear--no horribly heavy amp rack!--it's a breeze to load stuff in and set it up.  All of us have carts though I don't often use mine.  Usually we can park near the stage/entrance but not always.   I always do the math and whether it's more of a hassle to load the cart and strap everything in place (my stuff isn't the most stackable) vs making 2-3 hauls from car to stage.   Usually the latter is quicker and easier.

Lights these days are also way lighter and easier to set up than the old heavy cans that required trusses, that helps.

When people ask me my age, I say “Too young for Medicare, too old for women to care…”

• Haha 3

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Turning 70 soon

Heart valve replaced twice, needing knees replaced soon.

But otherwise healthy.

Nord Stage 3 88

Nord Stage 3 73

QuikLok Monolith 2 Tier

Pedal Board 

Alto TX310 x2

IMG_2529.thumb.jpeg.575ec723898d974fc0c6a9bcf17b7b1c.jpegIMG_2403.thumb.jpeg.4b72e1c385be90e42962fdd69e4ace29.jpeg

• Like 4
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.