Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AI for keyboards

AI is the big technology wave… how will it change the keyboards you play?

Do you already ask “Alexa. call up my fav Hammond patch”?

There are other threads about AI composing music or jazz, and we know that some Auto Accompaniment software is pretty cool.

Is there a keyboard out yet that is marketed as “AI” enhanced…. what would that do beyond things like accompaniment or evolving algorithm effects (e.g. Karma)?  Retro to analogue followed digital… but what’s next, next?  Did NAMM 24 suggest what the “next big thing” will be for traditional (keys…not a new interface) keyboards?

”Alexa - make sure my solo stays in the key with the chords, except when I take it outside”??

tripp323

Nord Electro, Kawai MP, Roland JX-305, Korg T1 & 707

22 minutes ago, Tripp323 said:

There are other threads about AI composing music or jazz, and we know that some Auto Accompaniment software is pretty cool.

Is there a keyboard out yet that is marketed as “AI” enhanced…. what would that do beyond things like accompaniment or evolving algorithm effects (e.g. Karma)?  Retro to analogue followed digital… but what’s next, next?  Did NAMM 24 suggest what the “next big thing” will be for traditional (keys…not a new interface) keyboards?

”Alexa - make sure my solo stays in the key with the chords, except when I take it outside”??

At the risk of sounding unimaginative, I really feel like "AI"/automation/whatever should handle the more tedious/"work" elements of playing a keyboard, in line with your Hammond preset example. Now obviously voice commands wouldn't be too good during a performance, but maybe there'd be an app to interface with the keyboard. Rather than traditional preset hunting for a sound you want as a base template, you could choose parameters that the AI would then instantly synthesize into a patch, kind of like a more targeted randomizer. "gritty Butterfly EP with deep swirling phaser and short delay", "Have Preset 20 split RH split with Preset 46 at F#4", etc.

• Like 1

My main keyboard challenge is pulling up patches quickly at gigs, not in making them.   Our set lists are never in the same order from gig to gig and there are always "game-time" decisions based on the crowd, or requests.   A siri-like voice command (obviously you'd need a mic) to state the song name and have it change any keyboards plus any lyrics if you have them on a tablet would be pretty cool!

My other huge challenge is in remembering lyrics (I'd love to NOT need a tablet and read in the first place) but I'm not sure how "AI" can help with that other than to simply replace me with a robot singer....but I enjoy singing as much as I do playing so that would suck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

My main keyboard challenge is pulling up patches quickly at gigs, not in making them.   Our set lists are never in the same order from gig to gig and there are always "game-time" decisions based on the crowd, or requests.   A siri-like voice command (obviously you'd need a mic) to state the song name and have it change any keyboards plus any lyrics if you have them on a tablet would be pretty cool!

How would you do that in a performance though? Would you whisper to it? Part of the issue is as I fantasize about AI solutions/methods for keyboarding issues, I often think a simpler or more effective solution would just be onboard features. For example, AI could theoretically call up a patch...but wouldn't it be easier if a keyboard just had quick access buttons like a "Favorites" bank? Now maybe AI could interface with an older keyboard that doesn't have that onboard, but doesn't MIDI fulfill that function already? 

Oh no doubt.   I was stretching to come up with something that "AI" could help with :)

Honestly I just use a combo of song mode on the Nord Stage and knowing where my patches are.   If there's ever a time where I'm not quite ready for the start of a song, well that's only a problem with a few songs, others I just come in when I can :D 

31 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I don't like it, I won't use it and...

Yet, if you have gmail or a smart phone, they're already using AI to suggest words that you might start to type.  Or did you ever have Outlook pop up a message saying "Looks like you didn't add an attachment, do you want to do that before sending?" or something like that...

Image an AI-enabled Hammond -- the AI-XB3 -- that takes over after you start a solo, or suggests licks to you and know's exactly when to switch the Leslie to fast!!

Yeah, I want NONE of that too...

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

4 hours ago, Tripp323 said:

The biggest jump I have seen in AI music-wise over the course of just a few years can be tried out by anyone at https://www.udio.com/ or https://suno.com/.    The tech makes an arranger keyboard seem like a victrola.   Entire arrangements are generated, all backing instrument, lyrics and vocals performed in less than a minute from text prompts.  A short time from now we'll simply speak with our keyboards and tell them what to play.  

I just "wrote recorded and mixed" a song a few moments ago prompting suno with, "An 80s pop hit about alien abduction".    I'll "write" another in a moment if I am feeling up to it... I don't know that first one was taxing.   Oh, alright, here it goes, "Urban country song about drinking beer by the river."   Whew, ok.  Now I am exhausted.  I just don't know if I can keep up this level of creative output.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

To continue the Hammond theme, it would be pretty cool to be able play a track from one of your favourite artists and have the AI setup your DAW with the exact tonal configuration (organ registration, Leslie configuration, compression, reverb etc.).

"Hey Google, give me the sound of Steve Marriot's Hammond, as played on the 1969 Humble Pie release "Wrist Job" etc.

Cheers,

James

x

• Like 4

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

1 hour ago, JamPro said:

I'm still waiting for AI that can hump the keyboards to the stage, set it all up, and load it all back into the car at the end of the night.

It exists, it's just really expensive.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Glad I'm a Rhodes/EP player. I can just sit down and play. NO AI required.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2024 at 7:53 AM, JamPro said:

I'm still waiting for AI that can hump the keyboards to the stage, set it all up, and load it all back into the car at the end of the night.

Yeah…. that’s called a “robot” and its coming sooner than you may think!

tripp323

Still no AI piano keyboards yet, I guess?  But here is a longish video about what Yamaha is doing.

Looks like an AI tutor or music teacher / accompanist might be one application.

AI will also enter DAW marketplace (Siri… “bring the low EQ up 10 percent on the bass drum mic track”)

Yes, it would be a problem to rely on verbal commands during performance, so…. You’ll need your brain-computer interface (BCI) to work smoothly with your wireless MIDI?  During the set, your AI keyboard was listening to your vocalist introduce the next song, and brought up your fav Hammond patch for you. ;)

tripp323

Where I can see it applying is in band contexts with really good digital connectivity - you have an AI backup player that can pick up what the band are doing and add their part. I think this will be a realistic proposition in a handful of years at most. Obviously not needed as much in a band with a known setlist , but a jam band playing known songs, I could see AI playing a role albeit not necessarily a welcome one...

AI and robots will remain stupid, clumsy and therefore plain dangerous for at least another decade, just as they are right now. You want a ride in an automatic taxi ? Go ahead. I'll drive my car myself and stay alive. Want the great moronic robot above carry your very expensive synths and piano ? No thanks, I'll carry them myself. But again, go ahead and let him do that job for you (hope you have very good insurance) :

4 minutes ago, K K said:

AI and robots will remain stupid, clumsy and therefore plain dangerous for at least another decade, just as they are right now. You want a ride in an automatic taxi ? Go ahead. I'll drive my car myself and stay alive.

I'm closer to being under the dirt rather than above it, so a lot of pending high-tech worries are barely ruffling my hair. Its often TWENTY years before a new thing stops killing people like iffy carnival rides. Even then, Operator Error can still rear its ugly head by knocking yours into the next county. A certain percentage of fatalities in the military arise from just operating dangerous equipment. I know a horrific example I won't share. You're welcome. 

"If you nail two things together that have never been nailed together before, some shmuck will buy it from you." ~ George Carlin

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

15 hours ago, nursers said:

Where I can see it applying is in band contexts with really good digital connectivity - you have an AI backup player that can pick up what the band are doing and add their part. I think this will be a realistic proposition in a handful of years at most. Obviously not needed as much in a band with a known setlist , but a jam band playing known songs, I could see AI playing a role albeit not necessarily a welcome one...

Yup.  So many bands where I live are missing a bass player and can't do a gig, for example.  I can see an AI doing a  backing vocals role, maybe some easy keyboard fills.  Nothing up front, though.

Also, AI is good at recreating sounds, for example "how do I program a sound like this?".  Feed them enough training material and they can cop some pretty good horn solos, for example.

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

10 minutes ago, cphollis said:

I can see an AI doing a  backing vocals role, maybe some easy keyboard fills.  Nothing up front, though.

oh no no no... I can see AI up front and center, leading the band.  Singing, rocking out, interacting with the audience, swigging a bottle of Jack, all sexed up hell yeah

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Don't see myself using "AI" for live keyboards.  Key word, "live".    I'd never run tracks or use "AI" for vocals, nor would I want to sit and watch such a thing.   We have four vocalists and that is the most challenging and fun part of playing live to me.   Buy hey everyone else can knock themselves out, I'll just hang it up if live music can't compete with the canned/robot stuff.  No use complaining about it, might as well go down to the beach and try to keep the surf from knocking down your sand castle.

On 5/30/2024 at 9:09 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

The biggest jump I have seen in AI music-wise over the course of just a few years can be tried out by anyone at https://www.udio.com/ or https://suno.com/.    The tech makes an arranger keyboard seem like a victrola.

Wow!  I went to https://suno.com/ and typed in "Tony Banks style keyboard composition" and I was blown away.  The AI generated song was pretty good.

That being said, I am not sure what to do with AI music technology.  At my age, this AI stuff is way over my head. 

• Like 1

Steve Coscia

On 5/30/2024 at 10:52 PM, Stokely said:

A siri-like voice command (obviously you'd need a mic) to state the song name and have it change any keyboards plus any lyrics if you have them on a tablet would be pretty cool!

It sounds cool until the bride requests the song "Alexa, add 100 eggs to my shopping and buy now, confirm."

I find it amusing that humans are cavalier about letting AI or a robot work for them.

Just a matter of time before folks will be looking for a robot surrogate to fulfill their martial duties too.🤣

I'm still wondering what people will do with more free time on their hands.  Will they become more or less creative and productive.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"